• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks [W:156,W:236]

Craven political attack or accurate criticism?

• Total voters
Re: Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks

The State Department did no so such thing. The Cairo Embassy released the statement without the knowledge of the State Department or White House....BEFORE they were attacked.
The State Department did do such a thing. Echoing the embassy response, Hillary herself tweeted, "the U.S. deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others..."

https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/245717059693080576

Or, perhaps you'd have us believe that the administration is so incredibly inept, that they are either (1) clueless that a situation is brewing and are therefore oblivious to efforts to defuse it, or (2) they knew, but simply didn't care enough to monitor how it was being addressed.

Now, the question becomes, what will obama do about it.?

Absolutely nothing, except keep apologizing. He's been all over the world apologizing for what he calls American's sins.

Good one, answer a question with a question.

Is that not alright to ask? I don't know what Obama is going to do and no one knows really what he's going to do. But, can't I ask what do you think should Obama do?

Is that not alright to ask? I don't know what Obama is going to do and no one knows really what he's going to do. But, can't I ask what do you think should Obama do?

Sure it's alright, I always find it strange when people answer a question with a question.

I think that died somewhere around 1968. But democrats should be commended for their restraint during the Iraq war....

I liked this at first thinking it was sarcastic... but on second thought, you were probably serious... You think Dems were restrained during the Iraq War?

Do you forget the Impeach Hitler Bush and Hitler Cheney remarks? Do you forget the Osama bin Cheney comments? Have you forgotten the staged General Betrayus protests? Do you remember all the ridicule Petraeus got for passing out during the hearings?

For your sake, I hope you really were being sarcastic... if not I'd suggest either a trip to the doctor for memory loss, and a relook at the events in that period...

I just noticed something.. even OP made the mistake... but Romney has consistently said "Embassy" .. which is wrong.. it was the consulate. It is diplomacy 101 for any politician... embassy is the official representation in the capital city... Benghazi is not the capital, Tripoli is the capital. Hence it was the consulate that was attacked.

This is turning to be a nightmare for Romney... blunder after blunder.

Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks

If Obama didn't have the embassies/consulates on a heightened state of alert on 9/11, then Obama should be slammed.

He did. Did you listen to his speech?

It's a craven political attack, obviously. The President has a duty to protect our citizens serving overseas, and his response condemned the attacks, without condemning the muslim faith, which could spur further attacks. Let me note, that GWB also did this after 9/11 and throughout his presidency. I don't see how anyone could see anything wrong with his statements unless they were looking for something to be critical.

What Romney said is nothing more than a cheap political attack, that has no regards in protecting Americans overseas, and I would hope that if he were President he would act differently, but I don't know.

His reponse statement condemned the attacks...

However, his predisposition set the environment that made the attacks more likely... and following attacks like this, it's often enough to warrant more than a response statement...

What was the response to the bombing of the US Embassy in Afghanistan recently?

Something like this requires an immediate case made to the UN for sanctions, condemning the pattern of mistreatment of foreign diplomats across the region. These are not armed troops or policy makers, they're diplomats, who ought to be issued the utmost protection as guests in those countries, protected by diplomatic immunity to abide by only their own customs. For these nations not to be able to protect US diplomats on their soil, they ought to be held accountable. If the UN is unwilling to create sanctions, an immediate military response is required...

Obama has gone around apologizing for America, and posturing an apparent weakness that is being taken advantage abroad... the same way it was during the Clinton Administration...

As Obama is going around celebrating the death of Osama, he's also encouraging the new face to step forward and take the mantle of opposition to America.

Of course he's egging this on...

It's also interesting to question why it is that these recent attacks occuring in Libya and Egypt are somehow not being roundly criticized by the very same liberals who blamed bush every time an IED went off in Iraq? If Bush was the worst president in history because insurgents in the War Zone of Iraq set off IED's against Armed Soldiers... how is it Obama is without fault for a series of repeated attacks on embassies in the Arab region without adequate response or protection for official personnel stationed overseas?

Well gosh...its not like any of this is important enough to cancel a campaign trip. Why should running the country get in the way of anything? For that matter...why should today be any different than any other day. For all of peoples talk about Bush being an empty suit...Obama...dood is vapor. Nothing. No substance. on ANYTHING.

You call it. Was this an accurate criticism of Obama's response to the attacks, or was it craven political opportunism?

Article is here.

It strikes me as a little inappropriately partisan. When national tragedy occurs, it should unify us. I know both sides engage in it but I don't think its right especially on the very same day.

I just noticed something.. even OP made the mistake... but Romney has consistently said "Embassy" .. which is wrong.. it was the consulate. It is diplomacy 101 for any politician... embassy is the official representation in the capital city... Benghazi is not the capital, Tripoli is the capital. Hence it was the consulate that was attacked.

This is turning to be a nightmare for Romney... blunder after blunder.

Embassy attacks were in Cairo, the consulate attack was in Libya. Two seperate attacks my friend......do try and keep up....

The State Department did do such a thing. Echoing the embassy response, Hillary herself tweeted, "the U.S. deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others..."

https://twitter.com/StateDept/status/245717059693080576

Or, perhaps you'd have us believe that the administration is so incredibly inept, that they are either (1) clueless that a situation is brewing and are therefore oblivious to efforts to defuse it, or (2) they knew, but simply didn't care enough to monitor how it was being addressed.

With all due respect, why do you people have to create lies by editing what others say, by clipping out relevant material? Here is ALL of the State Department's statement:

I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today. As we work to secure our personnel and facilities, we have confirmed that one of our State Department officers was killed. We are heartbroken by this terrible loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and those who have suffered in this attack. [...talks some more]

Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.

What you people are posting around the internet clips out material that bears on what Hillary Clinton was saying, and makes it appear that she was saying something else. Jeez!!

With all due respect, why do you people have to create lies by editing what others say, by clipping out relevant material? Here is ALL of the State Department's statement:

What you people are posting around the internet clips out material that bears on what Hillary Clinton was saying, and makes it appear that she was saying something else. Jeez!!

Honestly I think they don't know better. They wallow in rightwing blogosphere muck. They have nothing to compare the misinformation to.

LOL - what are you talking about? How does what you posted, or what you provided in boldface, in any way change the meaning of the line I quoted?

What "lies were created" by quoting that particular line without the surrounding text? Please be specific.

I liked this at first thinking it was sarcastic... but on second thought, you were probably serious... You think Dems were restrained during the Iraq War?

Do you forget the Impeach Hitler Bush and Hitler Cheney remarks? Do you forget the Osama bin Cheney comments? Have you forgotten the staged General Betrayus protests? Do you remember all the ridicule Petraeus got for passing out during the hearings?

For your sake, I hope you really were being sarcastic... if not I'd suggest either a trip to the doctor for memory loss, and a relook at the events in that period...
Easy big guy.:). My bad. I was definitely being sarcastic. Should have been clearer about that, sorry.

It looks to me like each attempted to portray the other as extremist and un-American.

So ... typical politics in short.

LOL - what are you talking about? How does what you posted, or what you provided in boldface, in any way change the meaning of the line I quoted?

What "lies were created" by quoting that particular line without the surrounding text? Please be specific.

That the administration supports the terrorists. To be fair, you haven't said that, but this accusation has been flying all over the internet all day, including here, and almost all of the accusations are based on the quote where the relevant information was edited out.

Romney's solution to possible threats: declare war on them. Doesn't have much room to talk. I mean as of now under Romney we will be invading Syria and Iran correct, why not through Libya and Egypt in there too. I am sure that will help the debt crisis.

Romney's solution to possible threats: declare war on them. Doesn't have much room to talk. I mean as of now under Romney we will be invading Syria and Iran correct, why not through Libya and Egypt in there too. I am sure that will help the debt crisis.

Has Romney actually advocated for invading any of these countries?

Hope this has some value here. If not, I'm sorry.
September 12, 2012

Governor Gary Johnson released the following statement regarding the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya:

It is tragic when Americans serving their country are murdered, and we both mourn their loss and honor their service.

Part of honoring that service is to ask the obvious question: What U.S. interest is being served by putting our people – and our money – in places where U.S. personnel can be killed by extremists over a video? We launched millions of dollars worth of missiles to bring down Gaddafi, and this is what we get. We hail and encourage the outbreak of an Arab Spring in Egypt, send them billions of dollars we can’t afford, — and our embassy is breached and our flag desecrated.

In Afghanistan, we continue to put our troops in harm’s way 10 years after our post-9/11 mission was complete. Why?

The airwaves are filled today with political chest-pounding and calls for decisive action. The most decisive and prudent action we can take today is to stop trying to manage governments and peoples on the other side of the globe who don’t want to be managed, get our people out of impossible situations that have no direct U.S. interest, and immediately stop sending money to regimes who clearly cannot or will not control their own countries.

Protecting America with a strong national defense and a rational foreign policy is our leaders’ most basic responsibility. But let us not confuse national security with senseless intervention where our interests are clearly not being served

I lost a friend in that attack and I'm infuriated at about how it's been turned into campaign ammunition by Romney.

Oh cool I'm the only person who voted "don't care".

The person running against the incumbent will always find whatever excuse he can to criticize the incumbent. If this was a democrat running against an incumbent Romney when this happened, the democrat would be criticizing Romney. It's just how the presidential election works. They criticize each other over anything and everything.

Back
Top Bottom