• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks [W:156,W:236]

Craven political attack or accurate criticism?

• Total voters
Re: Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks

Easy big guy.:). My bad. I was definitely being sarcastic. Should have been clearer about that, sorry.

I figured... but it did allow me a chance to stand on my precious soap box, just in case anyone out there seriously had that sentiment...

I lost a friend in that attack and I'm infuriated at about how it's been turned into campaign ammunition by Romney.

So you'd prefer Romney not criticize Obama on foreign policy, and say everything is hunkey-dorey abroad... despite that there have been a series of attacks on embassies in Aghanistan, Egypt, and Libya within 2 weeks of the anniversary of 9/11... with little response from Obama?

Obama... the guy who openly and roundly criticized then president Bush for mosques being bombed in Iraq by Iraqis... and attempted to take Gen Petraeus to task for reporting that the surge is what is needed to prevent it... and then returning with numbers showing its success back when Obaa was running to become president...

Again, Obama... the guy who tried to paint Romney as a novice when it comes to foreign policy, making it seem like he's the big foreign policy expert who got bin Laden, and thus there's no more terrorist threat... That he's not the guy that Hillary Clinton was running ads about saying he wasn't ready to be president on day 1, because he wouldn't know what to do with the 3am phone call... yet, currently is mishandling events abroad... while focusing on his campaign effort...

I'm sorry you lost a friend in the attack, and Im sorry anyone lost a friend in the attack, whether American or foreign. However, friend or not, don't take your anger out on Romney for doing what he is rightly justified in doing.

He is currently running to replace Obama as Commander in Chief. He has every right to suggest flaws in the president's actions, and the need to replace him. Obama has done the same of him, in suggesting he shouldn't be president.

This is the process of electing a leader. You bring into question every action they make. You judge them on that thing that Democrats are running away from, their record. Whether it sits well with you or not, these incidents are part of Obama's record.

Obama got a pass from the press in 2008... and this is what we got stuck with, an inexperienced rhetorical idealist with poor leadership skills... If Romney is not allowed to criticize the president for his faults, he will be given yet another pass in 2012, to continue this poor leadership...

Just found out that the statement, which was given by embassy officials, condemning religious intolerance, was made BEFORE the attacks were carried out, and seems to be an attempt to defuse the situation before the violence could get out of hand. And, of course, it failed. Based on that, I find no fault with the Obama administration here.[/QUOTE]

Do you find any fault with the fact that on the anniversary of 9-11 obama didn't order added security to embassy's, especially embassy's in countries recently taken over by the Muslim brotherhood?

So you'd prefer Romney not criticize Obama on foreign policy, and say everything is hunkey-dorey abroad... despite that there have been a series of attacks on embassies in Aghanistan, Egypt, and Libya within 2 weeks of the anniversary of 9/11... with little response from Obama?

Obama... the guy who openly and roundly criticized then president Bush for mosques being bombed in Iraq by Iraqis... and attempted to take Gen Petraeus to task for reporting that the surge is what is needed to prevent it... and then returning with numbers showing its success back when Obaa was running to become president...

Again, Obama... the guy who tried to paint Romney as a novice when it comes to foreign policy, making it seem like he's the big foreign policy expert who got bin Laden, and thus there's no more terrorist threat... That he's not the guy that Hillary Clinton was running ads about saying he wasn't ready to be president on day 1, because he wouldn't know what to do with the 3am phone call... yet, currently is mishandling events abroad... while focusing on his campaign effort...

I'm sorry you lost a friend in the attack, and Im sorry anyone lost a friend in the attack, whether American or foreign. However, friend or not, don't take your anger out on Romney for doing what he is rightly justified in doing.

He is currently running to replace Obama as Commander in Chief. He has every right to suggest flaws in the president's actions, and the need to replace him. Obama has done the same of him, in suggesting he shouldn't be president.

This is the process of electing a leader. You bring into question every action they make. You judge them on that thing that Democrats are running away from, their record. Whether it sits well with you or not, these incidents are part of Obama's record.

Obama got a pass from the press in 2008... and this is what we got stuck with, an inexperienced rhetorical idealist with poor leadership skills... If Romney is not allowed to criticize the president for his faults, he will be given yet another pass in 2012, to continue this poor leadership...

Romney criticized a statement from the embassy that happened before the attacks. Not only was Romney trying to make election hay out of the deaths of Americans, he was lying while doing it. And you are defending it. It's not a justified attack because it's not accurate.

Got a pass. Right. You don't actually know that, you were told that. Have you noticed how you use the exact phrasing you were given?

Last edited:

Mitt Romney's response was premature. Given what we now know - that the press release was issued by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo in response to the anti-Islam video and prior to the attack - it just goes to show either how desperate Romney is to score political points OR his lack of foreign policy experience. Either way, he made an ass of himself not only for condemning the President for a statement he neither made nor approved, but also for commenting about what was said that had nothing to do with the ensuring deaths that occurred.

Talk about jumping the shark! :doh

With all due respect, why do you people have to create lies by editing what others say, by clipping out relevant material? Here is ALL of the State Department's statement:

What you people are posting around the internet clips out material that bears on what Hillary Clinton was saying, and makes it appear that she was saying something else. Jeez!!

I know, right?? People are just making stuff up, attacking like rabid dogs making sure they get flesh in their mouth before the corpse is gone. Romney was completely out of line to use a national tragedy... the destruction of a US consulate and the deaths of our US Ambassador to Libya and others... to attack Obama for something Obama never said, never approved, never even knew about. The very first administration statement on the attacks and US deaths was a clear, comprehensive condemnation of the attacks... in response to which apparently the most partisian of partisians simply covered their ears and said, "la la la, I can't hear you!"

The appropriate response for Romney to make if he couldn't stand to wait until facts actually became known would have been, "This is a terrible tragedy for our nation, which I will address when the facts of these tragic events have been completely investigated."

I cannot remember the last time a presidential candidate used such a tragedy for political opportunism, and based it on a complete and blatant lie. Does the Romney camp think all it has to do is fling poo at a wall and the populace will automatically believe it? Sadly, as this thread has proven, that seems to be pathetically true.

Last edited:

I know, right?? People are just making stuff up, attacking like rabid dogs making sure they get flesh in their mouth before the corpse is gone. Romney was completely out of line to use a national tragedy... the destruction of a US consulate and the deaths of our US Ambassador to Libya and others... to attack Obama for something Obama never said, never approved, never even knew about. The very first administration statement on the attacks and US deaths was a clear, comprehensive condemnation of the attacks... in response to which apparently the most partisian of partisians simply covered their ears and said, "la la la, I can't hear you!"

The appropriate response for Romney to make if he couldn't stand to wait until facts actually became known would have been, "This is a terrible tragedy for our nation, which I will address when the facts of these terrible evens are fully known."

I cannot remember the last time a presidential candidate used such a tragedy for political opportunism, and based it on a complete and blatant lie. Does the Romney camp think all it has to do is fling poo at a wall and the populace will automatically believe it? Sadly, as this thread has proven, that seems to be pathetically true.

Speaking as someone who will not be voting for Obama, you are 100% correct, and this saddens me. The crazy has come out of the woodwork in 2012.

Speaking as someone who will not be voting for Obama, you are 100% correct, and this saddens me. The crazy has come out of the woodwork in 2012.

I'm not enthused about voting for either of them, but this incredibly arrogant blunder and blatant lie... which he refused to back away from and repeated later on... shows me that Romney is dishonest and untrustworthy. I may not vote for Obama, but I now will definitely not vote for Romney.

The Romney campaign released a statement before details were available.

There was not an ounce of truth about "apologizing" or "sympathizing".

A leader makes a measured response to these types of tragedies -- when the attack touches all Americans, Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

Republicans in congress, friends of Ambassador Stevens, honor the victims and pray for their families.

Romney chases the lowest common denominator, he appeals to the ugliest of Americans. This moment was a test. He failed, letting desperation get the better of him. Romney stooped to Palin levels this time.

Interesting how liberals want to talk about Romney's statement rather than the fact obama let our embassies be over run and the fact that the Arab spring he was so fond of is blowing up into another Jihad like many on the right warned that it would.

Interesting how liberals want to talk about Romney's statement rather than the fact obama let our embassies be over run and the fact that the Arab spring he was so fond of is blowing up into another Jihad like many on the right warned that it would.

And liberals don't want to talk about how Obama is appeasing the terrorists.

That statement is complete bullpuckey. I would never have accused George Bush of letting our embassies be run over, but since 911, these all occurred on Bush's watch:

June 14, 2002, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide bomber kills 12 and injures 51.

February 20, 2003, international diplomatic compound in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Truck bomb kills 17.

February 28, 2003, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Gunmen on motorcycles killed two consulate guards.

July 30, 2004, U.S. embassy in Taskkent, Uzbekistan
Suicide bomber kills two.

December 6, 2004, U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Militants stormed and occupied perimeter wall. Five killed, 10 wounded.

March 2, 2006, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide car bomber killed four, including a U.S. diplomate directly targeted by the assailants.

September 12, 2006, U.S. embassy in Damascus, Syria
Gunmen attacked embassy with grenades, automatic weapons, and a car bomb (though second truck bomb failed to detonate). One killed and 13 wounded.

January 12, 2007, U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece
A rocket-propelled grenade was fired at the embassy building. No one was injured.

July 9, 2008, U.S. consulate in Istanbul, Turkey
Armed men attacked consulate with pistols and shotguns. Three policemen killed.

March 18, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Mortar attack misses embassy, hits nearby girls' school instead.

September 17, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Militants dressed as policemen attacked the embassy with RPGs, rifles, grenades and car bombs. Six Yemeni soldiers and seven civilians were killed. Sixteen more were injured.

Now here's the deal. Bush was not soft on terrorism, and neither is Obama. If terrorists want to hit our embassies badly enough, they are going to do so, no matter how much security we have, and no matter how many precautions we have taken to prevent it. And I refuse to be the kind of douche bag who would lay the bombings above at Bush's feet. Bush did everything he could, and there were still bombings. Same is true with Obama.

He could have said that the US will find and kill the people who did this. Why didn't he say that?

Because he is not stupid.

The thread title should read, Romney fails Foreign Policy leadership test.

Americans are sickened by the desperation of team Romney. The misguided and false attack on Obama is shameful.

There's going to be no recovery from this one.

Keep in mind, the first attack by Romney last night was on Ambassador Stevens and his staff. Steven's family has to mourn his death and suffer this shameful insult to his character and abilities.

And liberals don't want to talk about how Obama is appeasing the terrorists.

No mainstream American wants to talk about a Limbaugh/Palin lie.

Romney lost the election in the last 24 hours.

Carpet bomb Libya. The leaders of that country need to be sent a message.

Obama sent them an email instead and saved the taxpayers billions, not to mention loss of life.

That statement is complete bullpuckey. I would never have accused George Bush of letting our embassies be run over, but since 911, these all occurred on Bush's watch:

June 14, 2002, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide bomber kills 12 and injures 51.

February 20, 2003, international diplomatic compound in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Truck bomb kills 17.

February 28, 2003, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Gunmen on motorcycles killed two consulate guards.

July 30, 2004, U.S. embassy in Taskkent, Uzbekistan
Suicide bomber kills two.

December 6, 2004, U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Militants stormed and occupied perimeter wall. Five killed, 10 wounded.

March 2, 2006, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide car bomber killed four, including a U.S. diplomate directly targeted by the assailants.

September 12, 2006, U.S. embassy in Damascus, Syria
Gunmen attacked embassy with grenades, automatic weapons, and a car bomb (though second truck bomb failed to detonate). One killed and 13 wounded.

January 12, 2007, U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece
A rocket-propelled grenade was fired at the embassy building. No one was injured.

July 9, 2008, U.S. consulate in Istanbul, Turkey
Armed men attacked consulate with pistols and shotguns. Three policemen killed.

March 18, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Mortar attack misses embassy, hits nearby girls' school instead.

September 17, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Militants dressed as policemen attacked the embassy with RPGs, rifles, grenades and car bombs. Six Yemeni soldiers and seven civilians were killed. Sixteen more were injured.

Now here's the deal. Bush was not soft on terrorism, and neither is Obama. If terrorists want to hit our embassies badly enough, they are going to do so, no matter how much security we have, and no matter how many precautions we have taken to prevent it. And I refuse to be the kind of douche bag who would lay the bombings above at Bush's feet. Bush did everything he could, and there were still bombings. Same is true with Obama.

So on the twin towers anniversary you don't think extra security should have been ordered at all embassies in Muslim countries, ESPECIALLY countries recently taken over by the Muslim brotherhood. I would say it's a good thing you are not president but apparently obama thinks just like you. That worked out well huh.

I think it's interesting how Romney crys like a baby when anything is even remotley said bad about him, but tries to attack Obama on everything he can find. He can dish it out but not take it. That isn't the sign of a good leader.

No mainstream American wants to talk about a Limbaugh/Palin lie.

Romney lost the election in the last 24 hours.

I agree. He is showing no leadership here.

So on the twin towers anniversary you don't think extra security should have been ordered at all embassies in Muslim countries, ESPECIALLY countries recently taken over by the Muslim brotherhood. I would say it's a good thing you are not president but apparently obama thinks just like you. That worked out well huh.

As I already stated, I was not the kind of douche bag who second guessed Bush after the many attacks on embassies during his tenure, and I will not be a douche bag here either by second guessing Obama over the same issue. That people have to use this tragedy for political fodder, when we should all be coming together over this tragedy, turns my stomach.

Just found out that the statement, which was given by embassy officials, condemning religious intolerance, was made BEFORE the attacks were carried out, and seems to be an attempt to defuse the situation before the violence could get out of hand. And, of course, it failed. Based on that, I find no fault with the Obama administration here.

If they were responding to that statement then yup, it's a screwup. which is probably why he retracted the statement.

This strikes me as a campaign trying to stay ahead of the news cycle, and therefore running with incomplete data. discouraging.

Your Star said:
It's a craven political attack, obviously.

Ah yes. All part of Mitt Romney's Secret Plan To Make Himself Look Like An Idiot. No doubt he's putting his pinkie in the corner of his mouth and muwa-haha-ing right now.

Back
Top Bottom