• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roger Stone Taking the Fifth

Re: Stone declines Dem request for interview, invokes Fifth Amendment

Regardless of what Trump says....

“One of the Fifth Amendment’s basic functions is to protect innocent men who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances. Truthful responses of an innocent witness, as well as those of a wrongdoer, may provide the government with incriminating evidence from the speaker’s own mouth.” Ohio v. Reiner, 532 U.S. 17, 20 (2001)

Ohio v. Reiner, 532 U.S. 17 (2001)

Aw, 'poor' Roger Stone, he needs your money to pay his legal fees. His buddy Michael Caputo started a GoFundMe fundraiser for poor Roger. It doesn't matter that this man is worth millions, the fundraiser may be nothing more than a morale boost for Roger Stone. The fundraiser has raised a whopping $4,357 so far but take heart, it's only been up for one day so far. But-but...Roger Stone has a net worth of $20 million (reported) and possibly 5x's that off the books.

Donald Trump: "only the mob takes the Fifth"

5d8cd6c0-9e8a-4d76-a926-c972e5b7a839.png

Screenshot-2018-12-04-Home.png
[/QUOTE

I'm sending Roger 'thoughts and prayers'

Obama IRS official takes the fifth.

Renato Mariotti thread:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1070083530150043649

tl;dr version: Stone can plead the 5th, but he can only plead the fifth for his documents if the act of providing the documents implicates him in a crime.

Example: if you demand to see a stolen car that may or may not be in my possession, merely showing you the car implicates me in the unlawful acquisition of the car, in which case, I could plead the fifth. If, however, the car is lawfully in my possession, I can't plead the fifth on behalf of the car.

Therefore Stone's success in protecting the documents from revelation depends on how aggressively the Republican-led Judiciary Committee wants to pursue this.

Until the Democrats take power in a few weeks.

Stone is allowed to plead the fifth, but it appears that it's because of documents in particular that he's pleading the fifth. And as I already showed, unless the documents were unlawfully acquired, it's unlikely he'll win that fight.

And of course now we know that he was involved in crimes. (Big shocker there).

Until the Democrats take power in a few weeks.

Well, this is the Senate we're talking about, but yes, the House could also choose to subpoena him.

True, there's nothing wrong with pleading the fifth.

It's not a sign of guilt and it's something everyone should use when needed. Just as the police can't trust you to be honest, you shouldn't trust them to be either. You have your own interests to look out for and those are best represented by an attorney.

IMHO, I thought Bill Clinton should have pleaded the fifth in the Lewinsky affair, and saved himself from the spectacle - instead of doubling down on the untruth under oath.

It is STUNNINGLY hypocritical for these people to now all plead the fifth, when they have in the past used its use as evidence people are guilty

True, there's nothing wrong with pleading the fifth.

It's not a sign of guilt and it's something everyone should use when needed. Just as the police can't trust you to be honest, you shouldn't trust them to be either. You have your own interests to look out for and those are best represented by an attorney.

IMHO, I thought Bill Clinton should have pleaded the fifth in the Lewinsky affair, and saved himself from the spectacle - instead of doubling down on the untruth under oath.

It is STUNNINGLY hypocritical for these people to now all plead the fifth, when they have in the past used its use as evidence people are guilty

Actually it is very much a sign of guilt. It's easy to forget this since

a) the Constitution protects you being coerced into implicating yourself in a crime, and
b) the jury in a criminal court matter is not allowed to take pleading the fifth into consideration when deliberating on the defendant's guilt.

Outside of those two highly specific circumstances, we are absolutely allowed (justifiably and reasonably) to conclude that Stone committed crimes.

Stone's going to be indicted, it's just a matter of time.

He knows this.
And unfortunately, Trump's (likely) going to pardon him.

Doesn't matter. Trump is the target.

And then he could be compelled to testify, refuse to testify, charged with obstruction of justice, pardoned, compelled to testify, refuse to testify, charged with obstruction of justice, pardoned....

Stone declines Dem request for interview, invokes Fifth Amendment

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersec...equest-for-interview-documents-invoking-fifth

Republican operative and longtime Trump ally Roger Stone is resisting a request for documents and an interview from Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee, citing his Fifth Amendment rights.

In a letter released Tuesday by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, Stone’s attorney described the document request as “unreasonably broad” in scope and characteristic of a “fishing expedition.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following in the footsteps of his cohort Randy Credico, Roger Stone refuses to give testimony to the Senate. Stone got a clear message from Trump in a tweet yesterday. Some are calling this witness tampering.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-03-at-4-19-15-PM.png

I think it shows remarkable good judgement on the part of Stone. He'll "gum up the works," so to speak, until a broad immunity is oofferred in trade for information, and then reveal that he knows nothing and he's sure of it. It'll surely be fun to watch.
/

Doesn't matter. Trump is the target.
Regardless, I hate to see anyone skip-out on receiving due justice. And we don't know how important testimony from guys like Flynn, Manafort, Corsi, may be.

Will Roger Stone give up his Nixon tattoo and replace it with this? It'll cost him a few bucks to erase the Nixon but oh yeah, it'll be worth it to have the king on his back.

trump-feat.jpg

No....he'll just add to it.

index.jpeg

Yeah well, indict Pence first, Pelosi will not pardon Trump.

Vice President Mike Pence has hired a private lawyer to represent him in the special counsel's investigation into alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia, the vice president's office confirmed Thursday.

And then he could be compelled to testify, refuse to testify, charged with obstruction of justice, pardoned, compelled to testify, refuse to testify, charged with obstruction of justice, pardoned....
That would be an interesting chain of events, though. I have no idea how it would end-up.

That depends on whether Mueller has information that connects Trump as a witness.

The pardon may not be valid in that situation, as was the case with Nixon as an unindicted co-conspirator.

That would be an interesting chain of events, though. I have no idea how it would end-up.
Well, even the Republicans would have a hard time excusing that.

Of course, they are Republicans. :roll:

Stone declines Dem request for interview, invokes Fifth Amendment

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/419727-stone-declines-dem-request-for-interview-documents-invoking-fifth

Republican operative and longtime Trump ally Roger Stone is resisting a request for documents and an interview from Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee, citing his Fifth Amendment rights.

In a letter released Tuesday by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Calif.), the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, Stone’s attorney described the document request as “unreasonably broad” in scope and characteristic of a “fishing expedition.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following in the footsteps of his cohort Randy Credico, Roger Stone refuses to give testimony to the Senate. Stone got a clear message from Trump in a tweet yesterday. Some are calling this witness tampering.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-03-at-4-19-15-PM.png

He put "President Trump" in quotes? What an imbecile.

Well, even the Republicans would have a hard time excusing that.

Of course, they are Republicans. :roll:

"Trolling the libs."

Back
Top Bottom