• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rate George W Bush's Eulogy to GHWB

Rate W's Eulogy of his father

• Should have been more political

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was too Long

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Free Men get to decide for ourselves what we care about which other Free Men respect without being dicks is the first thing.... and the second thing is assuming that the person you are talking to is more stupid then you are is a dangerous road.

You had better check first.

As for the first part, you can decide what you want to care about. That doesn't mean that what you care about has any meaning in regards to the context of the event.

As to the second part, I'm always the smartest person in the room, so I never question things like that.

He's can't be that smart. He gave me more conditions in another thread for Trump being able to take his gun out for the night as opposed to taking out his own daughter.

:lol:

What does everyone expect a son to speak about his father?

I was more disgusted by Michelle Obama accepting a candy from a war criminal. Thank goodness Malaria trump showed more respect.

Thank God we finally have a first lady we can look up to.

They're reporting trump didn't sing it, dont know why take the attention away.

I voted "other". I was massively moved by his eulogy.

His love for his father was very, very real, and it showed in every word of his eulogy. He respected his father as a man, as a war hero, as a husband, as a father, as a statesmen....in every which way he could. That came through, and not just at the end when he broke down while talking about his father hugging Robin and holding his mother's hand (I was weeping like crazy when that happened). It was obvious throughout the speech.

I reflected on other eulogies delivered by great men during the memorial services for other deceased politicians. George HW Bush's during Reagan's funeral. Kissinger's during McCain's funeral. I will say without any hesitation that W's eulogy ranks right up there with the most memorable. I will think about his words for many years.

His father lived an amazing, enriching, beautiful and very long life. In spite of being in the public eye for most of his life, W is a grieving son who is now the senior member and leader of his family, now shouldering the burdens of his father as the leader of the Bush clan, and that personal burden was evident as he spoke every word. Trained to speak in public, he couldn't help but break down out of tremendous sorrow for the man he loved, admired, and respected for many decades.

I thought it was a beautiful eulogy.

Taking it off the topic of W, I was moved by all of the eulogies. Meacham, Simpson and Mulroney's were as brilliant as W's.

See, he valued humour!

That must have helped him throughout various stressful times he may have had!

I don't understand why a son's eulogy of his father should be an issue for anyone, let alone a poll.

Errr... They were POTUSes them both?! :confused:

Also, our president was there also! :)

Last edited:
So, this thread was partisan in nature... unconcerned about the actual nature of the eulogy.

So, what's worse... the folks who would judge the eulogy, politically, or the folks who would try to play "gotcha" politically?

This is debate politics Captain so just about anything involving two former presidents could be seen as having some politics. however, one of the reasons I though W's Eulogy was so wonderful, was that there was absolutely no political jabs at his opponents or those of his late father. His one reference to Bill Clinton was appreciative and kind.

My first temptation is to give the old American Bandstand review .......I liked the words, it had a good beat but its hard to dance to.

All in all it was decent to good. I do not think its going to be in the next volume of 100 GREAT FUNERAL ORATIONS.... (if there is such a thing)

other than being contrarian-what are you complaining about. We had a former president giving what might well be his last national speech. I thought it was great, I wanted to see what others thought about it. Have you seen some of the other polls that are posted on this board? What I see as cretinous is not discussing how people viewed his speech, but the arguments of a few lefties who are complaining about the topic. If you don't like the poll or the thread, don't post on it. I posted it for the honest reasons I stated and it seems you are merely trying to attack my thread because you don't like my positions on other issues

He'll probably be asked to speak at Cheney's funeral, and/or Thomas's. Thinking about those possibilities is rather ghoulish, and any son's eulogy of his father should be praised or not commented on IMO.

So your intent is to know why people's opinions of Bush have changed? In summary:

GW Bush did in fact pull out victories against two men infinitely more qualified. He was also given his first victory by the Supreme Court, and Al Gore in an act that has never received the praise it deserved, gracefully accepted the outcome.

GW Bush did in fact enlist the help of at least two men, Cheney and Rumsfeld, who did much to harm his presidency (a fact his father agreed with). He was not a great president, with the war in Iraq, and the collapse of the economy to his "credit" But he always conducted himself in an honest manner, always expressed a care for family and people in general.

If you wonder why so many lefties are suddenly singing his praises, you might consider that until 2 years ago they never imagined how low the bar for presidential behavior had fallen.

I thought GW Bush eulogized his dad in a loving and humanizing way. I chose Other in your poll, because though I thought it was done well, whether or not it was political was immaterial to me.

Errr... They were POTUSes them both?! :confused:

Also, our president was there also! :)

So, what does that have to do with his eulogy?

GW lost his father and wasn't in it for a nomination. I didn't listen to it, won't listen to it. It doesn't matter what we think. What matters is GW being able to say some final words, find some peace, honor his father. That's all. Seeing his tears made me sad for him, for the family.

He'll probably be asked to speak at Cheney's funeral, and/or Thomas's. Thinking about those possibilities is rather ghoulish, and any son's eulogy of his father should be praised or not commented on IMO.

So your intent is to know why people's opinions of Bush have changed? In summary:

GW Bush did in fact pull out victories against two men infinitely more qualified. He was also given his first victory by the Supreme Court, and Al Gore in an act that has never received the praise it deserved, gracefully accepted the outcome.

GW Bush did in fact enlist the help of at least two men, Cheney and Rumsfeld, who did much to harm his presidency (a fact his father agreed with). He was not a great president, with the war in Iraq, and the collapse of the economy to his "credit" But he always conducted himself in an honest manner, always expressed a care for family and people in general.

If you wonder why so many lefties are suddenly singing his praises, you might consider that until 2 years ago they never imagined how low the bar for presidential behavior had fallen.

I thought GW Bush eulogized his dad in a loving and humanizing way. I chose Other in your poll, because though I thought it was done well, whether or not it was political was immaterial to me.

How were Gore and Kerry "infinitely more qualified" other than they were anti gun liberals?

How were Gore and Kerry "infinitely more qualified" other than they were anti gun liberals?

Silly question. Gore served in both the House and the Senate, and then as Vice President for 8 years. John Kerry served in both state positions of district attorney, and lieutenant governor of Mass., and in the US Senate. He also had a superior military record, which bothered the Republicans so much they devised the Swift Boat controversy. He went to YALE and became a LAWYER which some think counts for much ;) George Bush did own a baseball team, and served as governor of a state that has a very weak governorship. His actual military service is speculative.

I am starting to believe that your obsession with your weapons has wiped out any evaluative capabilities you may have once had?

But this is straying from your topic, of whether Bush gave a good eulogy, and why "lefties" defend him.

Silly question. Gore served in both the House and the Senate, and then as Vice President for 8 years. John Kerry served in both state positions of district attorney, and lieutenant governor of Mass., and in the US Senate. He also had a superior military record, which bothered the Republicans so much they devised the Swift Boat controversy. He went to YALE and became a LAWYER which some think counts for much ;) George Bush did own a baseball team, and served as governor of a state that has a very weak governorship. His actual military service is speculative.

I am starting to believe that your obsession with your weapons has wiped out any evaluative capabilities you may have once had?

But this is straying from your topic, of whether Bush gave a good eulogy, and why "lefties" defend him.

Kerry's military record is rather interesting.he wanted a combat service record, so he volunteered for the safest duty in the navy-when he volunteered for "Swift boat" service, those boats were doing coastal patrol-meaning almost no action. Zumwalt changed the duty to much hazardous in-country river patrols. KERRY TRIED TO GET OUT OF THAT and when he couldn't, he used 3 bandaid "injuries" to get out. Bush flew jet planes and was not in control of whether he was sent to a combat zone. He wasn't but flying Jet planes is always hazardous-As Dean Paul Martin/ Never mind, he flew into a fog covered mountain as a NG pilot at about 700 MPH. Kerry was a mercenary resume padder at Yale-so bad that other students hummed "Hail to the chief" when he walked by. Bush was a party boy yet his GPA at Yale was about the same or slightly better than Kerry's. Gore almost flunked out of Harvard because he was essentially stoned daily-

I'll be honest, I didn't read most of this thread. I don't care what anyone else has to say. When I lost my father, a great member of his community, I was in my twenties. Giving one of his eulogies was one of the hardest moments of my life.

GW did a great job and held himself together in a way that I fully respect. He honored the man who had given him life and stood tall as his father would have wanted.

I think he did a great job. He had my respect.

This is debate politics Captain so just about anything involving two former presidents could be seen as having some politics. however, one of the reasons I though W's Eulogy was so wonderful, was that there was absolutely no political jabs at his opponents or those of his late father. His one reference to Bill Clinton was appreciative and kind.

Just because this is Debate Politics doesn't mean that everything MUST be turned political. This was a eulogy, an event where a son was honoring his father. W made no political swipes. To me, it was disrespectful of you to use the eulogy as a way to try to smash someone in a partisan way.

I saw somewhere online today (yesterday) someone saying that watching the Bush clan during this illustrates how badly the McCain clan sucks.

I think this is right.

Just because this is Debate Politics doesn't mean that everything MUST be turned political. This was a eulogy, an event where a son was honoring his father. W made no political swipes. To me, it was disrespectful of you to use the eulogy as a way to try to smash someone in a partisan way.

except you are reading more into it than I intended. I wasn't smashing anyone.

Thank God 41 had the good sense to make sure Trump had no speaking role.

Kerry's military record is rather interesting.he wanted a combat service record, so he volunteered for the safest duty in the navy-when he volunteered for "Swift boat" service, those boats were doing coastal patrol-meaning almost no action. Zumwalt changed the duty to much hazardous in-country river patrols. KERRY TRIED TO GET OUT OF THAT and when he couldn't, he used 3 bandaid "injuries" to get out. Bush flew jet planes and was not in control of whether he was sent to a combat zone. He wasn't but flying Jet planes is always hazardous-As Dean Paul Martin/ Never mind, he flew into a fog covered mountain as a NG pilot at about 700 MPH. Kerry was a mercenary resume padder at Yale-so bad that other students hummed "Hail to the chief" when he walked by. Bush was a party boy yet his GPA at Yale was about the same or slightly better than Kerry's. Gore almost flunked out of Harvard because he was essentially stoned daily-

And now we dig into the fantasy history. :roll: Whatever slurs you can find to print about Kerry and Gore...they were still more qualified than Bush. I'm sure you are quite aware that there are serious questions about Bush's "service" and also his education which included literally branding fraternity brothers. TheSwift Boat Veterans for Truth were proven to be liars. I had never heard before that Gore was a stoner, do you have some link to that info?
But people grow up. Bush got to be president and Gore and Kerry didn't. There are many reasons to believe this was not the best outcome for America. Still we digress from your question and purpose of the poll, which I assume at its base was some desire to expose an hypocrisy of the left.

And now we dig into the fantasy history. :roll: Whatever slurs you can find to print about Kerry and Gore...they were still more qualified than Bush. I'm sure you are quite aware that there are serious questions about Bush's "service" and also his education which included literally branding fraternity brothers. TheSwift Boat Veterans for Truth were proven to be liars. I had never heard before that Gore was a stoner, do you have some link to that info?
But people grow up. Bush got to be president and Gore and Kerry didn't. There are many reasons to believe this was not the best outcome for America. Still we digress from your question and purpose of the poll, which I assume at its base was some desire to expose an hypocrisy of the left.

what makes someone "more qualified"? Neither Kerry nor Gore had ANY executive experience whatsoever

what makes someone "more qualified"? Neither Kerry nor Gore had ANY executive experience whatsoever

If GWB had thought himself "qualified" he would not have needed to get the services of Dick Cheney. I highly doubt either Gore or Kerry would turn over their administration to someone else.

GWB was never considered the "president" son, everyone expected it to be Jeb, except Karl Rove, who thought it might be fun to exploit the Christian vote. GWB was the social fun guy, Jeb was the serious policy wonk "qualified"one.

I imagine after defending the "qualifications" of Trump for two years, the word might have lost significant meaning.

If GWB had thought himself "qualified" he would not have needed to get the services of Dick Cheney. I highly doubt either Gore or Kerry would turn over their administration to someone else.

GWB was never considered the "president" son, everyone expected it to be Jeb, except Karl Rove, who thought it might be fun to exploit the Christian vote. GWB was the social fun guy, Jeb was the serious policy wonk "qualified"one.

I imagine after defending the "qualifications" of Trump for two years, the word might have lost significant meaning.

who do you believe is more intelligent=Bush or Kerry?

Back
Top Bottom