• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rate George W Bush's Eulogy to GHWB

Rate W's Eulogy of his father

• Should have been more political

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was too Long

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I watched the eulogy for a reason. Often I have been disappointed by great men. Until I learned what a lousy father Einstein was I considered him a kind of hero, an example for my own sons. I've always kind of admired the elder Bush and considered him a principled and honest man. I feel the same way about Jimmy Carter. Not that I agreed with Carter's policies, just that he is a man of solid character; one I'd love to sit down and have a beer with. We need examples of good character, good character is important. Before you mention Trump; he isn't of good character, but he's no worse than his opposition. They're all scoundrels. We live in a time that desperately needs statesmen, but all we get are politicians. Maybe it's what we deserve.

• The man stood there and eulogized his father. It wouldn't matter to me what he said, I'd say it was an excellent eulogy. If W wanted to talk about politics or not, it'd have been a fine eulogy. If he'd spoken for longer or less time, it'd have yet been for the perfect period of time.

I say that because whatever he said is what he needed to say for himself and for his family. What anyone else had rathered he say or not, for however long or short a period is irrelevant. Whatever those things be, it's not my place to sit here and pass judgment on his remarks W delivered to set his family on the road to coming to terms with HW's passing.

Indeed, IMO, it's vulgar to think of deigning to do so, much less do so.
  • Having had to eulogize my wife and my father, and knowing how hard it was to "keep it together" when only our family, friends and others who knew us were watching, I thought it was astounding that he was able to do it with the whole world watching. On that level too, it was excellent.
    • I don't know if he'll have to tomorrow again eulogize his dad. I sure hope for him that he doesn't. I think it's horrible for families of public figures to have to suffer two funerals.

I mean, there you are at your absolute lowest and to have to be so and in a effin' "fishbowl," peered at by God-only-knows-who -- to this day, I have no memory of who, besides my immediate family, was at my dad and wife's funerals -- that you hardly know, which is, at least for me, the last place I'd think one'd want to be. I know at Dad's and my wife's funerals, I was mad and sad. At my wife's funeral I was terrified and unsure of what lay ahead, and in my desolation, the last thing I wanted to be was forlorn amidst a ton of people, yet that's exactly where I found myself. Indeed, I wanted nothing more than to all those people who weren't our immediate family and the dozen or so closest of friends of our family say, "Please, just go away and leave me, leave us be."

Props, big props to W. I don't know if W felt as I did at my wife and father's funeral, but I know I could not and would not have stood there, grieving, sharing my grief with the world as he did.

Seems like a really weird question to make a poll about...

lots of people hated W. they said he was a bumbling idiot I thought his eulogy was excellent. I am wondering if Bush haters could give him credit for this

Finding the right words to use to eulogize your Father, a man that you spent your whole life feeling blessed and grateful to have as part of your life and who you just adored is difficult enough to do at the best of times. impossible to fit a life time of precious memories into such a small speaking time.

Try doing it knowing the whole word is watching. He did fine. His family must be very proud. It was very heartwarming.

I watched the eulogy for a reason. Often I have been disappointed by great men. Until I learned what a lousy father Einstein was I considered him a kind of hero, an example for my own sons. I've always kind of admired the elder Bush and considered him a principled and honest man. I feel the same way about Jimmy Carter. Not that I agreed with Carter's policies, just that he is a man of solid character; one I'd love to sit down and have a beer with. We need examples of good character, good character is important. Before you mention Trump; he isn't of good character, but he's no worse than his opposition. They're all scoundrels. We live in a time that desperately needs statesmen, but all we get are politicians. Maybe it's what we deserve.

It is.

We have not cared enough.

We decided to do that, we knew better most of us.

I don't understand why a son's eulogy of his father should be an issue for anyone, let alone a poll.

because they are/were politicians and politics is going to weigh into how people view W

Just because some people disagree with a political figure's politics does not mean they hate the person. Calling one a hater says more about that person or group's capacity to hate than the other. Asking this forum to "rate" a son's eulogy is a low point on this forum.

To measure up the son.

A very worthwhile project.

jesus christ. You're measuring up a son eulogizing his father?
You need to get out of the house more. Seriously.

Just because some people disagree with a political figure's politics does not mean they hate the person. Calling one a hater says more about that person or group's capacity to hate than the other. Asking this forum to "rate" a son's eulogy is a low point on this forum.

Victim Culture Rot.

jesus christ. You're measuring up a son eulogizing his father?
You need to get out of the house more. Seriously.

I take opportunities to get educated.

You should too.

Approval of the eulogy was nearly universal.

Approval of W in general has been on the rise in recent years and anyone downgrading how he eulogized his father is trying to shock people to get attention.

Approval of W has benefited greatly by virtue of him not being a Trump. Many Republicans' images have benefited from simply not being a Trump. When the time comes for Trump's sons to eulogize him, things could get dicey. The recent deaths of high profile Republicans who received bipartisan praise have been hard on Trump. He has to have a good idea that the world will not mourn his passing the way they have McCain and Bush. He has to suspect that there could never be enough time between when he leaves office and when he dies for people to start looking back on him fondly.

Approval of W has benefited greatly by virtue of him not being a Trump. Many Republicans' images have benefited from simply not being a Trump. When the time comes for Trump's sons to eulogize him, things could get dicey. The recent deaths of high profile Republicans who received bipartisan praise have been hard on Trump. He has to have a good idea that the world will not mourn his passing the way they have McCain and Bush. He has to suspect that there could never be enough time between when he leaves office and when he dies for people to start looking back on him fondly.

Given how bad this nation has gotten we remember fondly the old dying guys who were in charge back when the times were better, usually forgetting that their work rather sucked and ignorant of the fact that they played a major part in America getting to where we are....

To this ****ty boat that we are now.

Full of lazy stupid people.

All too often.

YUK

If you listened to his Eulogy of his father how would you rate it and why

I watched and listened through the entire service. GWB did a fine job in eulogizing his father. He didn't paint him a saint by sharing statements of his human orneriness. At the same time he shared how his father lived his life. His faith in G-d dictated his desire to forgive those that wronged him, reach out in love to those in need, and look for the good in everyone and most often found it to focus on. His love of family was well highlighted. His very long marriage to Barbara and his dedication to his children/grandchildren. What a better world this would be if people followed such a blueprint in their own lives.!!!!

:applaud

The OP didn't call anyone a "hater". He asked for an opinion. Your post shows that you found that to be a threat.

you've been here so long and you don't know why? :mrgreen:

I've been "here" since yesterday.

The only answer I can come up with is "trolling".

I thought the eulogy was moving, and gave us all a brief summation of the man himself, the man his family knew and adored. When he broke down at the end, tears welled in my eyes.

The other day, watching George W. trying to be stoic on the steps as his father's casket was being carried to the rotunda, his attempts to be stoic broken by his shattered expression, his quivering mouth, the sheen of tears in his eyes, my heart ached for him; he wore his grief on his sleeve, and it brought me to tears then as well.

Although the actual question of what others thought about the eulogy itself or the funeral itself, is a decent question, I'm not going to play the "poll" game, a "gotcha" poll to see who would be crass enough to disrespect the words of a grieving son, saying good-bye to the father he deeply, deeply loved. My opinion is that I feel nothing for the Bush family except deep sympathy for their terrible loss, and admiration at how they have conducted themselves, during times of grief, and throughout their public service. I may not have always agreed with George W., but he always conducted himself with respect for this nation and the office of the presidency.

My heart breaks for them during this terrible ordeal.

The OP didn't call anyone a "hater". He asked for an opinion. Your post shows that you found that to be a threat.

I refuse to let you to distort my post to give you cover for your hatred of those who disagree with your partisanship.

you're incredibly wrong

Enlighten me then, shelled one.

Why would someone want to rate a eulogy by a son to his father?

(This should be fun)

Back
Top Bottom