• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pulling out of Syria, good or bad decision?

It's not often that I agree with Trump on something, but pulling troops out of the Middle East is always a good idea.

To hell with warmonger Lindsay Graham.

We are talking about 1,000 US troopers. If Trump wants a 1,000 take them from somewhere else!

Here we end up:
- showing the world that we will not support an ally that has actually done all the fighting, all the dying and taken all of the territory in an engagement clearly in our National Security Interest
- we will NEVER convince another ally to do that again and we will NEVER be able to isolate ourselves from the world to such a degree that the ability to team with an ally to accomplish a US National Security goal actually SAVES US lives won't be a valuable asset.

I will ask the same question. Why did Erdogan and Trumpkin decide to go rogue. If Erdogan has real concerns about his border and his sovereignty and expressed them to Trumpkin, why didn't he advise Erdogan to seek the assistance of the rest of NATO in defense of those borders and that sovereignty. They are both NATO allies. But NOOOOOO.

You have to conclude that the RIGHT ANSWER to that circumstance gave neither man what he wanted, no added hotel bookings in the right decision for Trumpkin. No pat on the head from Putin for the right decision for Trump. No Kurdish slaughter for Erdogan.

Last edited:
Good decision.
Bad timing and bad reason.
IMO, the reason for pulling back was so our allies could be bombed.

Trump in a single moment has decided he is pulling troops out of Syria and leaving it to Turkey. He has done this right after talking to the President of Turkey. Everyone knows this will allow Turkey to attack the Kurds who have done all of the fighting for us against ISIS. The last town held by ISIS was taken without the loss of a single American life because the fighting and dying was done by the Kurds. This decision has even split the GOP as most are saying it is a bad decision, although a few talking heads on Fox are saying he is just keeping one of his campaign promises. So is this a good decision? Is this an attempt to deflect from the impeachment, something Trump has done before?

I don't know. I do know Republicans jumped all over Obama when he pulled our troops out of Iraq in 2011, now it's the Democrats turn to jump on Trump. Perhaps one's opinion on withdrawing or inserting Troops is determined by whether there is an R or D letter next to the president's name.

This could fall into the same category as the debt ceiling votes. During G.W. Bush almost every Democrat voted against raising it while almost every Republican voted to raise it. Change president we have exactly the opposite. Almost all Democrats voting to raise the debt ceiling, almost all Republicans voting against it to include shutting down the government for awhile. Whether one is for or against is determine by the letter following a president's name.

I don't know. I do know Republicans jumped all over Obama when he pulled our troops out of Iraq in 2011, now it's the Democrats turn to jump on Trump.
Try again. Everyone disagrees with Trump's decision to withdraw from northern Syria. Lots of Republicans and military officials are seriously pissed off about this. Evangelicals (!!!) are mad at Trump over this.

And whatever justification Trump had for this, it was largely destroyed when he sent 2000 US troops to Saudi Arabia, to help with THEIR "forever war," less than a week later.

This is not about partisanship. It's about Trump massively f*****g up.

Try again. Everyone disagrees with Trump's decision to withdraw from northern Syria. Lots of Republicans and military officials are seriously pissed off about this. Evangelicals (!!!) are mad at Trump over this.

And whatever justification Trump had for this, it was largely destroyed when he sent 2000 US troops to Saudi Arabia, to help with THEIR "forever war," less than a week later.

This is not about partisanship. It's about Trump massively f*****g up.

Like I said, it's the Democrats turn.

I don't know. I do know Republicans jumped all over Obama when he pulled our troops out of Iraq in 2011, now it's the Democrats turn to jump on Trump. Perhaps one's opinion on withdrawing or inserting Troops is determined by whether there is an R or D letter next to the president's name.

This could fall into the same category as the debt ceiling votes. During G.W. Bush almost every Democrat voted against raising it while almost every Republican voted to raise it. Change president we have exactly the opposite. Almost all Democrats voting to raise the debt ceiling, almost all Republicans voting against it to include shutting down the government for awhile. Whether one is for or against is determine by the letter following a president's name.

Iraq in 2011 and Syria today are not the same issues. They are not nearly the same issues.

For one thing, we would have needed a very large US presence in Iraq to have had any impact on the basic issues confronting that country, issues that were the actual reason that Bush 41 DID NOT go all the way to Bagdad which Bolton/Chaney and Bush 43 ignored. We have had 1,000 troopers doing a very specific job in a very specific way very successfully in Syria.

For another, though less of an issue IMO, It was President George W. Bush who signed the Status of Forces agreement in 2008, which planned for all American troops to be out of Iraq by the end of 2011.

That is just to name two. Americans have this bad habit of simply painting everybody and everything in a particular region with the same brush completely ignoring the differences in the various countries of that region. See the domino theory, Vietnam and SouthEast Asia generally for historical context.

Good and bad. Good because I am against the war and have always been.

Bad because it betrayed our allies and sends a message; the US is for sale, to the highest bidder.

Back
Top Bottom