• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prisoners Could Serve 1,000 Year Sentence In 8 Hours

Again when someone is raped, burglarized, murdered, scammed, or the victim of some other crime it is not society those things have happened to.If victims are irrelevant to administering justice to the criminals then there is no point in punishing criminals.
There has never been a point in punishing criminals.

The point is to protect the rest of us from them, and possibly rehabilitate some individuals into functional members of society.

There has never been a point in punishing criminals.

Scumbag sympathizers agree with you.

The point is to protect the rest of us from them, and possibly rehabilitate some individuals into functional members of society.

Wrong, the point is to punish criminals.

It's purely speculative at this point.

The question is, would they be FIT to re-enter society afterwards?

My guess is they'd be insane...

Again when someone is raped, burglarized, murdered, scammed, or the victim of some other crime it is not society those things have happened to.If victims are irrelevant to administering justice to the criminals then there is no point in punishing criminals.

It's a system of justice for society. You'll notice that all criminal cases are vs. the State.

An individual's desire for justice can never be satisfied. That would be a silly objective. The idea is to make society whole, not an individual.

I am totally against this.

It just sounds like torture to me.

And I could care less about rehabilitation...anyone that thinks that jail is a good place to rehabilitate someone has never been there. All most people learn in prison (IMO) is how to be a better criminal.

To me, prison is entirely about protecting society...nothing else.

Scumbag sympathizers agree with you.

Wrong, the point is to punish criminals.
To protect the rest of us from them.

Punishment only makes us feel good, it doesn't really help beyond that.

Unless you consider returning stolen items and funds punishment.

I am totally against this.

It just sounds like torture to me.

And I could care less about rehabilitation...anyone that thinks that jail is a good place to rehabilitate someone has never been there. All most people learn in prison (IMO) is how to be a better criminal.

To me, prison is entirely about protecting society...nothing else.

I'm guessing you've never known someone who has been rehabilitated. It's a pretty amazing thing to see and they provide a unique perspective to our collective understanding.

Punishment only makes us feel good, it doesn't really help beyond that.

Agreed. Using the justice system as a punishment system instead of a tool for the betterment of society is just plain dumb.

I'm guessing you've never known someone who has been rehabilitated. It's a pretty amazing thing to see and they provide a unique perspective to our collective understanding.

I have known FAR more ex-cons that learned nothing from prison but how to be a better prisoner then were 'rehabilitated'.

I did not say the latter does not exist, but if you think that anywhere near most people that enter the prison system actually get 'rehabilitated' for life, then you don't know many ex-cons.

Reoffending rates top 70% in some prisons, figures reveal | UK news | theguardian.com

I have known FAR more ex-cons that learned nothing from prison but how to be a better prisoner then were 'rehabilitated'.

I did not say the latter does not exist, but if you think that anywhere near most people that enter the prison system actually get 'rehabilitated' for life, then you don't know many ex-cons.

Reoffending rates top 70% in some prisons, figures reveal | UK news | theguardian.com

I've not made the claims you are spewing. You are creating a strawman in attempt to deflect from my very good point.

I've not made the claims you are spewing. You are creating a strawman in attempt to deflect from my very good point.

Lol...don't be so touchy.

You made a point and I made a point in rebuttal.

You don't like it...don't read it.

Lol...whatever.

You made a point and I made a point in rebuttal.

You don't like it...don't read it.

That's a load of crap.

I made a point at how amazing and inspiring it is to meet someone who was rehabilitated and noted they provide a unique perspective to our collective understanding.

You pointed out something that everyone already knows and in no way counters my point. That you assigned an absurd claim to me (which, of course, I never made) only makes your intellectually inept fumble all the more amusing. News flash: everyone already knows about recidivism rates. They do not counter my point at all.

Last edited:
That's a load of crap. I made a point at how amazing and inspiring it is to meet someone who was rehabilitated and noted they provide a unique perspective to our collective understanding.

You pointed out something that everyone already knows and in no way counters my point.

Uhhhh...and EVERYONE knows that at least some people do get rehabilitated and that it is an 'amazing thing'.

Man, are you touchy for someone with 30,000+ posts.

Lighten up.

Good day.

Uhhhh...whatever.

Now go and have a nap.

Good day.
He's right though.

He stated that meeting a rehabilitated criminal was a rewarding experience.
You "countered" by saying that only a minority of criminals are successfully rehabilitated.

You did not address his comment.
His comment was in no way countered by your statement.

Uhhhh...and EVERYONE knows that at least some people do get rehabilitated and that it is an 'amazing thing'.

Man, are you touchy for someone with 30,000+ posts.

Lighten up.

Good day.

So you fail to provide a counter of any sort. Assign BS claims to your opponent. Then state the obvious, as if that means anything.

hah

Oh well, at least you taught that strawman something!

He's right though.

He stated that meeting a rehabilitated criminal was a rewarding experience.
You "countered" by saying that only a minority of criminals are successfully rehabilitated.

You did not address his comment.
His comment was in no way countered by your statement.

Lol.

And I in no way care whether I countered his statement or not.

That was not the point of my response.

My point was to show that his 'happy dappy' story is a rarity...as my link gave evidence to support.

If that counters his statement...then that is just a fortunate coincidence.

I am here to kill time and learn/teach...not 'counter statements'.

When why did you claim to have done so, having actually only slayed a feeble strawman of your own invention?

So you fail to provide a counter of any sort. Assign BS claims to your opponent. Then state the obvious, as if that means anything.

hah

Oh well, at least you taught that strawman something!

Lol...'countering statements'?

You people really get caught up in this stuff.

As I said, I come here to kill time, learn/teach...not waste time 'countering statements' of faceless nobodies.

We are done here for now.

Good day.

Lol.

That was not the point of my response.

My point was to show that his 'happy dappy' story is a rarity...as my link gave evidence to support.

If that counters his statement...then that is just a fortunate coincidence.

I am here to kill time and learn/teach...not 'counter statements'.
Then how can you possibly claim you rebutted his statement?

As I said, I come here to kill time, learn/teach...not waste time 'countering statements' of faceless nobodies.

Good day.
So you're here for your own gratification and care not for the opinions of anyone else?

Edit: Also, you already claimed (seemingly happily) that you rebutted his statement, so how can you now claim with a straight face that you aren't here to rebut statements?

Good day.

I'm not done. I'd like to make some more fun out of your inept attempt to engage in debate.

I'm not done. I'd like to make some more fun out of your inept attempt to engage in debate.
Woah, woah, woah.

He just said that he wasn't here to debate, ecofarm.

That means any prior attempt to do so matters not.

The 'rebuttal' was to inform others of the uselessness of your 'happy-dappy' example...that rehabilitation is a rarity and that it in no way (IMO) justifies the current prison system.

And my link adds evidence to that.

I don't care in the slightest whether it counters your statement or not.

I had no idea you were so thin-skinned...maybe you should do something else with your time then post 39,000 posts on this forum?

Clearly, you are going to go on and on about this (whereas I could care less and have a life).

So we are done here...I will not respond to any more of your posts on this matter.

Good day.

The 'rebuttal' was to inform others of the uselessness of your 'happy-dappy' example...that rehabilitation is a rarity and that it in no way (IMO) justifies the current prison system.

And my link adds evidence to that.

I had no idea you were so thin-skinned...maybe you should do something else with your time then post 39,000 posts on this forum?

Clearly, you are going to go on and on about this (whereas I could care less and have a life).

So we are done here...I will not respond to any more of your posts on this matter.

Good day.
How do you know he was trying to justify the present prison system?

Perhaps he was trying to say "this is good, we need more, thus reforms are needed".

The 'rebuttal' was to inform others

Anyone with the cognitive capacity to type knows about recidivism rates, DA60.

Back
Top Bottom