• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prisoners Could Serve 1,000 Year Sentence In 8 Hours

So you're here for your own gratification and care not for the opinions of anyone else?

Edit: Also, you already claimed (seemingly happily) that you rebutted his statement, so how can you now claim with a straight face that you aren't here to rebut statements?

:rolleyes:

I already explained this. Though maybe 'rebuttal' was the wrong word to use.

And I have said many times...I could care less what most people's 'opinions' are on here...I am almost entirely interested in facts/stats/data, not opinions.

Why on Earth would I care what some nameless/faceless nobody whom I have little/no respect for thinks about almost anything?

I already explained this. Though maybe 'rebuttal' was the wrong word to use.

And I have said many times...I could care less what most people's 'opinions' are on here...I am almost entirely interested in facts/stats/data, not opinions.

Why on Earth would I care what some nameless/faceless nobody whom I have little/no respect for thinks about almost anything?
In case they have a differing opinion and can back it up with facts.

How do you know he was trying to justify the present prison system?

Perhaps he was trying to say "this is good, we need more, thus reforms are needed".

Man...you people do like to go on about things...

...Lol...I don't much care what he was trying to do.

He made a point (with no link to back it up, btw) that I thought gave some credit to a system that I think deserves near-zero credit (other then to keep people off of the streets).

And wanted to dispel that aspect of his point. So I gave an opinion (a rebuttal) and provided a link to back it up (to some extent).

How can I make this clear enough for you...I don't care at ALL whether it 'countered' his point or what his intention was.

Are you done yet?

Man...you people do like to go on about things...

...Lol...I don't much care what he was trying to do.

He made a point (with no link to back it up, btw) that I thought gave some credit to a system that I think deserves near-zero credit (other then to keep people off of the streets).

And wanted to dispel that aspect of his point. So I gave an opinion (a rebuttal) and provided a link to back it up (to some extent).

How can I make this clear enough for you...I don't care at ALL whether it 'countered' his point or what his intention was.

Are you done yet?
So you say.

Why did you answer anything except "I wasn't trying to rebutt you" when he asked you about it then?

In case they have a differing opinion and can back it up with facts.

Fine...provide a link to an unbiased source and (if I care enough) I will look at the link.

But I could care less what most nameless/faceless people on a 'chat' forum feel/think about most topics; but if they provide links to unbiased data/facts...that is useful.

He did not.

Fine...provide a link to an unbiased source and (if I care enough) I will look at the link.

But I could care less what most nameless/faceless people on a 'chat' forum feel/think about most topics; but if they provide links to unbiased data/facts...that is useful.

He did not.
In the end, it's your call.

So you say.

Why did you answer anything except "I wasn't trying to rebutt you" when he asked you about it then?

What? Why did I not respond to a post with a certain phrase?

Oh this is silly.

We are done here.

Good day.

Note to self...when people go on and on about nonsensical minutia...just try to 'smile and nod' and move on.

Last edited:
What? What do you care?

Oh this is silly.

We are done here.

Good day.
I care because you aren't making sense.

Didn't Sylvester Stallone star in this movie?

You do not think that after the 8 hours are up that the offender will offender will just pass the experience off as some sort of horrible nightmare.

Not if that was the majority of their existence and proportionally speaking, almost the entirety of their lives. Mentally they were conscious for 1k years, and depending on their age, could regain maybe 70 years of that. 70 years pretty damn small compared to 1000.

Miles_O%27Brien_after_20_yrs.jpg

No one thanked you for that one yet. That's a shame. It was the obligatory "let's **** with Miles O' Brien this time" moment of the season.

I seriously doubt any victim or victims loved ones would be content with an actual 8 hour sentence.

Unless they see the guy get out of prison, and personally remove the idiot from society so they feel they got some type of real justice, and then ask to be treated equally... receive the same 8-hour sentence.

No one thanked you for that one yet. That's a shame. It was the obligatory "let's **** with Miles O' Brien this time" moment of the season.

The moment I saw this thread, I thought of that episode, so when I saw the picture of Miles O'Brien, I immediately "liked" it.

You actually believe that you have the right, and the wisdom, to justly sentence someone to 525 Million times more pain and suffering?

Have you ever heard of the term, Hubris?

There was a time when the enlightened people in our criminal justice system had reform of the person into a productive citizen in mind...

You call them "enlightened people". I call them "bleeding heart idiots". Of course, we should be more specific about the crimes we're talking about, though, just so you don't pretend I think people should be sentenced to eternity in prison for shoplifting. Those who commit horrific crimes like child rape and cold blooded murder don't need reformed. They need locked up until they are dead and in the best case, that wouldn't be a very long time at all.

Mostly punishment punishment and some rehabilitation if the individual is not a lifer.

Almost no one gets rehabilitated by prison. Most become damaged by what they have been put through by either the state or by both the state and fellow prisoners. Prison is a form of torture and slavery that affects both the mind and body in ways that can not at all defend the idea that prison is a way to uphold justice. Prison is a way for the state to gain authority over their citizens and rob of them everything.

Again how would you punish a rapist, molester, burglar or some other violent criminal without sticking them in prison?

Does prison avoid those? Rape, murder and burglary all happen in prison and are those in prison not members of society? Are many of those that are victims to those crimes in prison guilty of those crimes themselves? Should they not be protected? The truth is all prison does is keep people away from society while torturing them and making them the governments slaves. It doesn't deter behavior, it do not rehabilitate individuals, and it doesn't act as repayment towards the victims. It does more or less nothing desirable. Criminal justice should be about repayment towards victims in some form or another and a way to teach individuals not commit the crime again, but prison does neither of those.

Sticking someone in prison as a punishment is not a issue of being humane or inhumane.Its an issue of sticking someone behind bars who deserves it. Violent criminals and some non-violent criminals deserve imprisonment as a punishment.

I don't believe anyone deserves to be imprisoned and robbed their complete liberty, nor do I believe anyone should be tortured in the ways that happen in prison.

It is inhumane to rob,rape,murder or assault someone.

Yes, it is.

If they are lifer then hopefully it teaches them that if you do not like prison then do not do **** to get stuck in prison.

Putting someone away for life teaches nothing except that the rest of your life your the property of the state.

Give them a sense of justice.

How does it do that?

Human beings are animals.

I was clearly comparing prison to caging up a dog and going out of your way to abuse it.

Imaginary punishment is not real punishment.

Making the mind go through a thousand years of torture is a punishment.

Almost no one gets rehabilitated by prison. Most become damaged by what they have been put through by either the state or by both the state and fellow prisoners. Prison is a form of torture and slavery that affects both the mind and body in ways that can not at all defend the idea that prison is a way to uphold justice. Prison is a way for the state to gain authority over their citizens and rob of them everything.

Prison does deter some people from offending and it does rehabilitate someone.

Does prison avoid those? Rape, murder and burglary all happen in prison and are those in prison not members of society? Are many of those that are victims to those crimes in prison guilty of those crimes themselves? Should they not be protected? The truth is all prison does is keep people away from society while torturing them and making them the governments slaves. It doesn't deter behavior, it do not rehabilitate individuals, and it doesn't act as repayment towards the victims. It does more or less nothing desirable. Criminal justice should be about repayment towards victims in some form or another and a way to teach individuals not commit the crime again, but prison does neither of those.

How exactly would you accomplish this? How can a rapist repay his victim, how can a murderer repay his victim? Sure a burglar can return the stuff he stole from his victims, but simply making him return the stuff he stolen is not a punishment.

I don't believe anyone deserves to be imprisoned and robbed their complete liberty,

I disagree.When you do certain things you forfeit certain rights.

nor do I believe anyone should be tortured in the ways that happen in prison.

Inmates should be kept seperate from other inmates and this would prevent inmates from abusing other inmates.

Putting someone away for life teaches nothing except that the rest of your life your the property of the state.

Putting someone away for life is the ultimate punishment in states without the death penalty.

How does it do that?

Because the offender is punished.

I was clearly comparing prison to caging up a dog and going out of your way to abuse it.

Not all animals are caged.Many roam around freely.

Making the mind go through a thousand years of torture is a punishment.

No it is not.It is just making one's perception of time last awhile.A persons perception of time and the actually passage of time are not the same thing.It was employees could demand to be paid more because it felt like they were at work all day instead of just 8 hours or kids could leave early from school because it felt like they were there all day instead of two actual hours.

Not if that was the majority of their existence and proportionally speaking, almost the entirety of their lives. Mentally they were conscious for 1k years, and depending on their age, could regain maybe 70 years of that. 70 years pretty damn small compared to 1000.

Imaginary time is still imaginary and not real. I have had jobs where the perception of time just seemed to slowed down and job where the perception of time has speed up.When I was going to school my perception of seemed to slow and when I was having fun my perception of time seemed to have speed up. Having their perception of time slowed down is still not real actual passage of time.

The moment I saw this thread, I thought of that episode, so when I saw the picture of Miles O'Brien, I immediately "liked" it.
Sadly this appears to be yet another pop culture reference that I am unable to grasp.

Back
Top Bottom