• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Poll Report on COVID issues. Let's read it and discuss

seymourflops

Keep Calm and Rebuy!
Banned
Supporting Member
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

It's from the "COVID States Project" about which I know nothing, I just found them on Google.

It appears to be from a valid sample, based on the fact that they vaxxed/unvaxxed percentages track with what we are hearing on the news about those percentages.

I think some of the results are interesting, especially how different the opinions of the vaxxed are compared to the unvaxxed, but I don't want to start the thread by dissecting it.

I look forward to some intellectual discussion!

What do the ones of similar opinion that then got COVID say, before they died?

Get the shot.

Guessing this is a doctoral thesis using a study?

SUMMARY: Key takeaways
The biggest expressed concern of the unvaccinated is the safety of the COVID 19 vaccines.
● The unvaccinated are much more likely to be skeptical of the efficacy and safety of vaccines more generally.
● A relatively modest share of the unvaccinated have logistical and cost concerns; but among the unvaccinated but vaccine willing, logistical and cost concerns loom substantially greater.
● Underlying many of the concerns regarding the COVID 19 vaccines is a lack of trust in the institutions that oversee and vouch for their safety.
● Trust in relevant institutions is strongly associated with vaccination rates at the individual and state levels

I wonder how long it will take for someone to blame Republicans or blast outright to just get it?

I wonder how long it will take for someone to blame Republicans or blast outright to just get it?
Well, seeing as it is Republicans and brain-dead conservatives who are the chief culprits spreading their un-vaccinated viral loads around, who else do you suggest we blame?

How do I make the insert document "full screen" ??

I don't think it's a doctoral thesis. It appears to be an actual study.

1631879413611.png

As noted in the snipped above from the study, it's the "publicly facing entities/individuals" that have the lowest levels of trust.

And I think their supporters, whom I'm calling here the "pro-vaxxers," are largely responsible for much of the mistrust - their vilifying, condemnatory, and insulting tactics against anyone who remotely isn't towing the line they are. Heck, just two posts up they were called "brain dead."

In their frustration to get people to agree with them, not realizing just how untrustworthy their tactics are, they've resorted to wishing people dead, wishing they'd die in their own pus, even wanting to see them burned at the stake; none of which is exactly trust-inducing rhetoric.

View attachment 67354272

As noted in the snipped above from the study, it's the "publicly facing entities/individuals" that have the lowest levels of trust.

And I think their supporters, whom I'm calling here the "pro-vaxxers," are largely responsible for much of the mistrust - their vilifying, condemnatory, and insulting tactics against anyone who remotely isn't towing the line they are. Heck, just two posts up they were called "brain dead."

In their frustration to get people to agree with them, not realizing just how untrustworthy their tactics are, they've resorted to wishing people dead, wishing they'd die in their own pus, even wanting to see them burned at the stake; none of which is exactly trust-inducing rhetoric.
One thing I don't understand about this explanation is why are anti-vaxxers connecting social esteem to a safety topic? That makes no sense whatsoever.

View attachment 67354272

<Toeing the line>; stepping up to the mark, nothing to do with pulling. I don't think anyone wishes anyone else dead, but patience, sympathy and tolerance are in short supply where people deliberately avoid vaccination and die an avoidable death, despite all the information on safety and efficacy they have been bombarded with.

they've resorted to wishing people dead, wishing they'd die in their own pus, even wanting to see them burned at the stake; none of which is exactly trust-inducing rhetoric.
Similar to how certain entities treated alternative lifestyles or race for many years?

Hrmm...doesn't appear we have evolved at all.

Which came first - the anti-vaxxer or the egg? You're claiming that their reluctance to get vaccinated is because of the criticism, but the criticism follows their unwillingness to get vaccinated !!

Which came first - the anti-vaxxer or the egg? You're claiming that their reluctance to get vaccinated is because of the criticism, but the criticism follows their unwillingness to get vaccinated !!
Not answering for Edwin but giving my take.

This report identified several reasons that unvaccinated gave for not vaxxing. Most can be summarized as safety and/or trust, that is to say that don't trust the shot is safe and don't trust the folks who say it is.

I don't think anyone said "because vaxx insisters are jerks to me."

But I do believe the incessant smugness, condescension, and hostility shown by vaccine advocates has galvanized by that mistrust. If they are already distrustful of Fauci, CDC, WHO, FDA, etc., then are attacked and censored how would we expect them to react?

They are not likely to likely to think, 'Uh oh! When I said that the vaccine hasn't been around long enough to know it's long term effects, some posters on a political forum said I was an idiot and then Facebook fact checked my post! That does it! I changed my mind. I'm getting the shot today."

People don't work that way.

Thanks for providing summary. I did not want to click on a random ".io" link. OP should have done it.

Should not take long. Most people know it's right wing media that's responsible for it. For "News", you know, the organization with one of the strictest vaccine mandates, has been spreading mistrust and misinformation to half the country for many years. So, what do you expect?

dems_vs_reps_covid_vaccinations.jpg

Yeah, it has nothing to do with Fox and rest of right wing media spewing propaganda for the many years... right?

But I do believe the incessant smugness, condescension, and hostility shown by vaccine advocates has galvanized by that mistrust.

All that came MUCH LATEST and AFTER multiple continuous and still ongoing attempts to provide truthful information to people but right wing media propaganda is just too powerful.

I don't think anyone said "because vaxx insisters are jerks to me."
I don't suspect that was a choice on the questionnaire.
But I do believe the incessant smugness, condescension, and hostility shown by vaccine advocates has galvanized by that mistrust. If they are already distrustful of Fauci, CDC, WHO, FDA, etc., then are attacked and censored how would we expect them to react?
Just as one is no less likely to believe that, for those who think their lives, and the lives of their loved ones, are being endangered by the anti-vaxxer, they have every right to project "smugness, condescension, and hostility" toward those very individuals. At a minimum!

AND no less hostility toward those they perceive to be slowing the recovery, and the return to normalcy, in effect prolonging the pandemic by their actions. Therein may be the most significant factor, and the one most dripping in irony. Those who hate lock-downs the most, those who hate wearing masks the most, those who hate forced social distancing the most, those who hate government restrictions the most, those who hate being told what to do the most, are effectively those who are prolonging the pandemic that has necessitated all those things the most. The pandemic isn't prolonged and expanded by those who've been willing to follow the rules - it is prolonged and expanded by those petulant children who refuse to - whatever their "reasons" are.
They are not likely to likely to think, 'Uh oh! When I said that the vaccine hasn't been around long enough to know it's long term effects, some posters on a political forum said I was an idiot and then Facebook fact checked my post! That does it! I changed my mind. I'm getting the shot today."

People don't work that way.
Projecting "smugness, condescension, and hostility" may not be having the desired effect, but there's at least as much justification for doing it.

Under the circumstances, probably much more.

● A relatively modest share of the unvaccinated have logistical and cost concerns; but among the unvaccinated but vaccine willing, logistical and cost concerns loom substantially greater.

What logistical and cost concerns? How many people don't live within 10 miles of a CVS or a clinic, where they can get the vaccine for free?

● Underlying many of the concerns regarding the COVID 19 vaccines is a lack of trust in the institutions that oversee and vouch for their safety.

Yet as soon as these people start having trouble breathing, they run to the nearest hospital.

View attachment 67354272

We tried being nice. We tried using logic and reason. We tried using data. We tried using bribes. We tried appealing to emotion, to general decency and empathy. You're surprised that we eventually got frustrated with your hostility? "SHEEP! THINK FOR YOURSELVES! YOU'RE LIVING IN FEAR!" was your response.

**** off, antivaxxers. We tried to be nice to you. You get the stick now.

I don't suspect that was a choice on the questionnaire.

Just as one is no less likely to believe that, for those who think their lives, and the lives of their loved ones, are being endangered by the anti-vaxxer, they have every right to project "smugness, condescension, and hostility" toward those very individuals. At a minimum!

AND no less hostility toward those they perceive to be slowing the recovery, and the return to normalcy, in effect prolonging the pandemic by their actions. Therein may be the most significant factor, and the one most dripping in irony. Those who hate lock-downs the most, those who hate wearing masks the most, those who hate forced social distancing the most, those who hate government restrictions the most, those who hate being told what to do the most, are effectively those who are prolonging the pandemic that has necessitated all those things the most. The pandemic isn't prolonged and expanded by those who've been willing to follow the rules - it is prolonged and expanded by those petulant children who refuse to - whatever their "reasons" are.

Projecting "smugness, condescension, and hostility" may not be having the desired effect, but there's at least as much justification for doing it.

Under the circumstances, probably much more.
Go ahead then, MamboDervish. Show smugness, hostility and condescension because "that's ma raht!"

Just don't be surprised the the result is that ant-vaxxers respond the same way the same way you would respond to smugness, hostility and condescension from them.

We tried being nice. We tried using logic and reason. We tried using data. We tried using bribes. We tried appealing to emotion, to general decency and empathy. You're surprised that we eventually got frustrated with your hostility? "SHEEP! THINK FOR YOURSELVES! YOU'RE LIVING IN FEAR!" was your response.

LoL, what stick?

So far the mandates are pretty pathetic and weak.

Any evidence of this "stick" that we are supposed to fear?

Just wondering if you realize the massive irony here?

The folks NOT getting the vax are not living in fear at all. The folks that are demanding everyone get a jab are the ones in fear - OMG the sky is falling! You must comply, resistance is futile!

I'm not antivax at all, but if you are concerned, get the vax and stay out of other's personal choices. If someone gets sick and didn't get the vax, why should you care?

Just wondering if you realize the massive irony here?

The folks NOT getting the vax are not living in fear at all. The folks that are demanding everyone get a jab are the ones in fear - OMG the sky is falling! You must comply, resistance is futile!

I'm not antivax at all, but if you are concerned, get the vax and stay out of other's personal choices. If someone gets sick and didn't get the vax, why should you care?

They are living both in ignorance and fear.

Ignorance of COVID in general and fear of the vaccine.

Just had a coworkers niece die of COVID in her thirties. She was unvaxxed at her mothers insistance. Her mother STILL is an antivaxxer and COVID denier.

They are living both in ignorance and fear.

Ignorance of COVID in general and fear of the vaccine.

Just had a coworkers niece die of COVID in her thirties. She was unvaxxed at her mothers insistance. Her mother STILL is an antivaxxer and COVID denier.
My wife worked with a secondary high school counselor that was fully vaxxed and died from Covid this week. In her 50s.

Somehow it's all the antivaxers fault.

Where is the logic in that?

Go ahead then, MamboDervish. Show smugness, hostility and condescension because "that's ma raht!"
Don't misinterpret my post. When it comes to anti-vaxxers, I don't show smugness or hostility. Perhaps condescension at times, but rarely. Often I show pity - often just confusion, and hopefully condolences don't become necessary. What I said is that I understand why so many do exhibit those traits, and that given the circumstances, I don't blame them. That's quite different.
Just don't be surprised the the result is that ant-vaxxers respond the same way the same way you would respond to smugness, hostility and condescension from them.
The response of anti-vaxxers is, on the one hand, never a surprise, and on the other hand, always a surprise.

My wife worked with a secondary high school counselor that was fully vaxxed and died from Covid this week. In her 50s.

Somehow it's all the antivaxers fault.

Where is the logic in that?
Well here's their logic in that - it's an unprovable anecdote that doesn't fit the narrative - ergo, she probably lied to you about dying and you're propagating her lie, ergo you and she must both be liars.

...at least that's the asinine claptrap being vomited my direction over a similar anecdotal situation with a friend of ours.

BS.

Back
Top Bottom