• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our Nation's Future -- God Help Us

There obviously isn't any such will, or we'd have had reform long ago. I think that the wealthy donors to political campaigns like the current situation in which there is a pool of low wage labor that doesn't dare make waves.

But, that could just be cynicism. Maybe the two major parties sincerely believe that the current system of looking the other way and ignoring the problem is the correct course of action.

I quite agree. But we do need to realize, neither party is really working to change it. All they would have to do is enforce laws already on the books. But that is not happening.

UCLA Student Government Passes Resolution Blasting 'Racially Derogatory' Term 'Illegal Immigrant'

So the future leaders in this country find legal definitions too much for their delicate sensibilities... The term "illegal immigrant" i.e someone who illegally immigrated to this country, has hereby been decreed -- by whom I can only imagine as the New Breed of the Unthinking Left -- to be racist.

This is what they're churning out in American universities nowadays? We're going down hard people, God help us...

Dude, they have been churning out that crap for decades... get with the program. Political Correctness has is retarded... I mean, mentally handicapped... I mean, mentally challenged... is that were we are at with that now or has that changed as well?

express elevator to hell....goin down

How many drops is this for you LT.? 38... simulated.

How many combat drops?

2, including this one.

Oh ****...

Somebody wake up Hicks...

UCLA Student Government Passes Resolution Blasting 'Racially Derogatory' Term 'Illegal Immigrant'

So the future leaders in this country find legal definitions too much for their delicate sensibilities... The term "illegal immigrant" i.e someone who illegally immigrated to this country, has hereby been decreed -- by whom I can only imagine as the New Breed of the Unthinking Left -- to be racist.

This is what they're churning out in American universities nowadays? We're going down hard people, God help us...

Perhaps it seems ridiculous that the government can't enforce their immigration laws. The law should be strong otherwise people will get the illusion that the law is a joke or maybe the law really don't exist. Maybe it's just a rumor or something.

We have so many Mexicans (I'm not being racist, this is where most illegal immigrants come from) coming to this country illegally that it appears we have no intention of enforcing the law. Does this mean our country is overrun with hardened criminals? or does it mean our country is run by softened pansies?

Laws should reflect reality. If Mexican citizens laugh at our laws, American citizens are going to laugh at our laws too. Nothing wrong with banning the use of the term illegal immigrant. We don't talk about illegal murders.

Immigrants aren't breaking the law because these aren't real laws. It's a joke, a rumor or a pipe-dream. Prove it's the law then we'll respect it.

Perhaps it seems ridiculous that the government can't enforce their immigration laws. The law should be strong otherwise people will get the illusion that the law is a joke or maybe the law really don't exist. Maybe it's just a rumor or something.

The law is strong. There are even militarized border patrol units with night vision, automatic weapons and Black Hawk helicopters out there enforcing them. :roll:

We have so many Mexicans (I'm not being racist, this is where most illegal immigrants come from) coming to this country illegally that it appears we have no intention of enforcing the law. Does this mean our country is overrun with hardened criminals? or does it mean our country is run by softened pansies?

a rapidly growing network of publicly and privately run jails where the government held more than 300,000 people in the last year

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/nyregion/13detain.html?_r=3&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&

Laws should reflect reality. If Mexican citizens laugh at our laws, American citizens are going to laugh at our laws too. Nothing wrong with banning the use of the term illegal immigrant. We don't talk about illegal murders.

Murder is already a description of something illegal. Murder is illegal, to say an illegal murderer is redundant. Immigrants can and are LEGAL. To differentiate the LEGAL from the ILLEGAL people say, "ILLEGAL Immigrant". Get it now?

Immigrants aren't breaking the law because these aren't real laws. It's a joke, a rumor or a pipe-dream. Prove it's the law then we'll respect it.

Section 1325 in Title 8 of the United States Code. This section, titled “Improper Entry of Alien” will provide a fine or imprisonment (or both) for any immigrant who:

1. Enters or attempts to enter America at any time or location other than what was designated by the United States Government (immigration official, or

2. Any individual who eludes inspection or examination instituted by the United States Government and its immigration agents, or

3. Any individual who attempts to enter the United States by providing a false or misleading representation of oneself or through a willful concealment of fact. For instance, if you provide a false passport, driver’s license or pretend to be anyone else, you will be charged with attempting to enter the United States in an illegal fashion.

Illegal Immigration - Your Rights, Benefits, Status - Immigration Laws

Section 1325 in Title 8 of the United States Code. This section, titled “Improper Entry of Alien” will provide a fine or imprisonment (or both) for any immigrant who:

1. Enters or attempts to enter America at any time or location other than what was designated by the United States Government (immigration official, or

2. Any individual who eludes inspection or examination instituted by the United States Government and its immigration agents, or

3. Any individual who attempts to enter the United States by providing a false or misleading representation of oneself or through a willful concealment of fact. For instance, if you provide a false passport, driver’s license or pretend to be anyone else, you will be charged with attempting to enter the United States in an illegal fashion.

Illegal Immigration - Your Rights, Benefits, Status - Immigration Laws

I never doubted that the laws existed. I am arguing that the law hasn't been taken seriously by people desiring to live in the United States.

How is it a racially derogatory term? How? is immigrant a race now? Or is illegal a race now?

So how will the police identify suspects now?
-Yeah, he's about 6feet tall, weigh in about 200 pounds, race: immigrant ;

Or what will those people write in the census? What race are you sir/madam? Immigrant race.

And what race is that? Because there are immigrants, even illegal ones , of all racial groups. White, black, latino asian. It's not just mexicans who go illegally to the USA but also chinesse, vietnamesse, even people from eastern europe or even from western europe or australia who couldn't get a green card.

What the hell is wrong with these people. Are they stupid? Did the college student group just drop 20IQ points before making this decission by injecting stupid cells in their brains for a week?

illegal is not a derogatory term. Immigrant is not a derogatory term. Putting them together doesn't make a derogatory term.
If illegal is a derogatory term then all the people in prisons and all criminals will be able to sue the US govt for tons of money for 'moral damages". (should such a law be passed at a state/federal level).

I swear, political correctness man... it's a disease. Cancer is not the disease of the XXIth century, political correctness is.

How is it a racially derogatory term? How? is immigrant a race now? Or is illegal a race now?

Or what will those people write in the census? What race are you sir/madam? Immigrant race.

And what race is that? Because there are immigrants, even illegal ones , of all racial groups. White, black, latino asian. It's not just mexicans who go illegally to the USA but also chinesse, vietnamesse, even people from eastern europe or even from western europe or australia who couldn't get a green card.

What the hell is wrong with these people. Are they stupid? Did the college student group just drop 20IQ points before making this decission by injecting stupid cells in their brains for a week?

illegal is not a derogatory term. Immigrant is not a derogatory term. Putting them together doesn't make a derogatory term.
If illegal is a derogatory term then all the people in prisons and all criminals will be able to sue the US govt for tons of money for 'moral damages". (should such a law be passed at a state/federal level).

I swear, political correctness man... it's a disease. Cancer is not the disease of the XXIth century, political correctness is.

I find the term "immigrant" as applied to people who just sneak across the border to be offensive.

No, it's not offensive to me, as my ancestors came here years ago, and didn't have to sneak in. It's offensive to the legal immigrants, the ones who have been invited and didn't just crash the party.

A better term would be "illegal alien."

Do you not understand that this country is already going down eventually, and mostly for economic reasons, plus the trend we are seeing among the general population to be apathetic, easily entertained by cheap electronics, and shallow?
We've already survived longer than would ordinarily have been expected, and we're just living on borrowed time until we rot from the inside out.

You sound more like me every day.:lol:

express elevator to hell....goin down

Why does everything have to be the end of the world? I want to be able to walk into a topic about someone upset about something and not be told that its the end of the world, or a sign we are all doomed.

Seriously it gets old.

I find the term "immigrant" as applied to people who just sneak across the border to be offensive.

No, it's not offensive to me, as my ancestors came here years ago, and didn't have to sneak in. It's offensive to the legal immigrants, the ones who have been invited and didn't just crash the party.

A better term would be "illegal alien."

That's a very good point and one most people ignore. There are tons of legal immigrants who become citizens or just reside in the USA. Either permanent legal immigrants or who go to the USA on a guest worker program like H2A and H2B in which immigrants go to the USA with a work contract in hand. So there is no insecurity and no danger. And they earn good pay regardless where they're from because salaries in the private sector in the USA are generally higher than salaries anywhere else. To make a point and case, even in top level jobs, like say, junior web developer, the salary in the USA is about 10k $ - 15k $ more than in the UK according to various sites that show info on such things.

Illegal immigrants don't just pose a threat to the host nation but also to themselves. In the first case, they can become part of gangs and criminal underground organizations and in the latter case, they can become the victims of such organizations.

Last edited:

PC is being used as a weapon -- societal shame -- to advance a particular agenda.

Unfortunately there are a lot of disillusioned youth out there who have no direction, no purpose, so this sort of BS they're drawn to.

Why does everything have to be the end of the world? I want to be able to walk into a topic about someone upset about something and not be told that its the end of the world, or a sign we are all doomed.

Seriously it gets old.

So what you're saying is you like surprises, eh?

I'm only 20 years out from these imbeciles. In previous dealings I've had a chance to hear what these kids have to say, what their outlook is, what they find important, how they react to world events, the conclusions they draw.... Let me tell you, I'm not making a doomsday prophecy. I'm pointing out a degradation. If you don't want to see it, don't look. Of course, that only compounds the issue but, hey, they do say ignorance is bliss...

So what you're saying is you like surprises, eh?

I'm only 20 years out from these imbeciles. In previous dealings I've had a chance to hear what these kids have to say, what their outlook is, what they find important, how they react to world events, the conclusions they draw.... Let me tell you, I'm not making a doomsday prophecy. I'm pointing out a degradation. If you don't want to see it, don't look. Of course, that only compounds the issue but, hey, they do say ignorance is bliss...

People have been predicting the decline or degradation of society for thousands of years, they are almost always wrong with few exceptions. Is considering a term like "illegal immigrant" offensive and wanting to ban its use pretty damn stupid? Absolutely. Is it a sign that the US is degrading? No.

I'm just tired of the ceaseless hyperbole and exaggeration that goes on these forums, it makes it hard to talk about any issue seriously when everything is blown way out of proportion.

People have been predicting the decline or degradation of society for thousands of years, they are almost always wrong with few exceptions. Is considering a term like "illegal immigrant" offensive and wanting to ban its use pretty damn stupid? Absolutely. Is it a sign that the US is degrading? No.

I'm just tired of the ceaseless hyperbole and exaggeration that goes on these forums, it makes it hard to talk about any issue seriously when everything is blown way out of proportion.

I agree that there is extreme fear mongering from people who think that ONLY their point of view and opinion are relevant and important. But that's also just another thing that's been happening as long as predictions.

The speed of change in our technology, modernization, population growth and social evolution are factors that are difficult for people over 30 to accept. When I was younger in my teens thru 20's things couldn't change fast enough but now I can't keep up with it. Sudden and dramatic changes are a fear inducing effect for any species to try and adapt. As soon as you're comfortable with one fad, fashion, technology, appliance, economic transition, medical treatment it's already outdated and being upgraded or replaced.

I never doubted that the laws existed. I am arguing that the law hasn't been taken seriously by people desiring to live in the United States.

I assumed as much but then, what about the rest, some of which shows that the law IS being taken seriously? This IS a debate, after all.

Western civilization HAS been on the decline, since the mid 16th century. These things take time you understand, and it isn't always in readily identifiable ways. It isn't a ball rolling down the hill unencumbered either, there are stops along the way, snags, which slow it down and icy patches which speed it up.

If you are tired of hyperbole, and I don't mean this rudely, seriously, I don't mean this rudely but perhaps you need to take a break from these kinds of forums. The underlying purpose of political forums is for the disenchanted to vent their frustrations. As such, hyperbole is like the poor, it will always be with us.

But to your comment; if idiocy such as this, as far spread as this, isn't a sign of degradation -- what criteria do you feel fits the bill?

I mean, me myself find using shame as a political weapon to advance what I and many others find as shameful behavior turning right and wrong topsy turvy on its head, and making the individuals who are in the right, who are following the law, who are properly identifying those who are in violation of it as the bad guys...Yeah, I pretty much would say that is a clear cut indicator of a downward trend for our society. Not only the use of said weapon, but the motive for which it is used, the violation of national sovereignty and all that that goes with it.

Western civilization HAS been on the decline, since the mid 16th century. These things take time you understand, and it isn't always in readily identifiable ways. It isn't a ball rolling down the hill unencumbered either, there are stops along the way, snags, which slow it down and icy patches which speed it up.

If you are tired of hyperbole, and I don't mean this rudely, seriously, I don't mean this rudely but perhaps you need to take a break from these kinds of forums. The underlying purpose of political forums is for the disenchanted to vent their frustrations. As such, hyperbole is like the poor, it will always be with us.

But to your comment; if idiocy such as this, as far spread as this, isn't a sign of degradation -- what criteria do you feel fits the bill?

I mean, me myself find using shame as a political weapon to advance what I and many others find as shameful behavior turning right and wrong topsy turvy on its head, and making the individuals who are in the right, who are following the law, who are properly identifying those who are in violation of it as the bad guys...Yeah, I pretty much would say that is a clear cut indicator of a downward trend for our society. Not only the use of said weapon, but the motive for which it is used, the violation of national sovereignty and all that that goes with it.

Western Civilization did not peak in the 1700s, slavery alone negates talking about that time as our peak. Hell if I was to say when Western Civilization peaked I'd say it hasn't yet, and its only been getting better the last few hundred years bar a few terrible moments. But I am glad you can recognize the hyperbole when it exists.

Western Civilization did not peak in the 1700s, slavery alone negates talking about that time as our peak. Hell if I was to say when Western Civilization peaked I'd say it hasn't yet, and its only been getting better the last few hundred years bar a few terrible moments. But I am glad you can recognize the hyperbole when it exists.

:thinking

The 16th Century would be the 1500's not the 1700's...

I don't think you and I are speaking of Western Civ. in the same scope, but you're free to disagree with me, don't need me to tell you that, but I will tell you you're wrong, and I did need to tell you that...:)

:thinking

The 16th Century would be the 1500's not the 1700's...

I don't think you and I are speaking of Western Civ. in the same scope, but you're free to disagree with me, don't need me to tell you that, but I will tell you you're wrong, and I did need to tell you that...:)

How embarrassing of me yes that would be the 1500s, d'oh. Either way I don't think the 1500s was the best period of Western Civilization.

How embarrassing of me yes that would be the 1500s, d'oh. Either way I don't think the 1500s was the best period of Western Civilization.

It happens to the best of us...:shrug:

If you ever get a chance, read "The Crisis of Civilization" by Hillaire Belloc.

Won't change your mind I'm sure but it will give you some things to think about...

Western civilization was oh, so much better back when Europeans were constantly at war with each other, when the belief was that anyone who looked a bit different had no soul and was therefore not human, when slavery was acceptable, when women did not own property, but generally were property, and when what the king said was the law of the land.

Oh, yes, we've declined precipitously since then.

Western civilization HAS been on the decline, since the mid 16th century.

What was the Enlightenment, the Bill of Rights, the US Constitution, the French Declaration of Man, the right of women to vote, the end of slavery??? These things are a "decline"? What da hell?

Back
Top Bottom