• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYC Community Board OKs Ground Zero Mosque Plans

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Ground Zero mosque plan has backers and detractors as community board votes to support plan - NYPOST.com

FOXNews.com - NYC Community Board OKs Ground Zero Mosque Plans

NEW YORK (AP) — After hours of contentious public comment, a New York City community board voted late Tuesday to support a plan to build a mosque and cultural center near ground zero.

"It's a seed of peace," board member Rob Townley said. "We believe that this is significant step in the Muslim community to counteract the hate and fanaticism in the minority of the community."

The vote was 29-to-1 in favor of the plan, with 10 abstentions. The move by the Manhattan Community Board 1, while not necessary for the building's owners to move forward with the project, is seen as key to obtaining residents' support.

Are you kidding me, New York? You're going to allow a mosque to be planted right at the site where radical Islam struck us in the heart of our nation?

Regardless of what gibberish they put forth (it is considered okay to lie to infidels), this mosque will mark one of the most proud and holy sites in the Muslim world, denoting exactly where the infidels were conquered in front of allah and the world.

Muslims have a long history of erecting mosques to denote where they have won great battles against non-believers.

Some loving quotes from the Koran:

Direct quotes from the Quran:

ANNOUNCE PAINFUL PUNISHMENT TO THOSE WHO DISBELIEVE (9:3)

O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred... (8:65)

Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve (8:55)

"Fight those who do not believe in Allah...And the Jews say Ezra is the son of God; and the Christians say Christ is the son of God; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; Allah's curse be on them; how they are turned away!" (Koran 9:29-30)

And fight with them until there is no more persecution and religion should be only for Allah (8:39)

When the sacred months have passed away, THEN SLAY THE IDOLATERS WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM, AND TAKE THEM CAPTIVES AND BESIEGE THEM AND LIE IN WAIT FOR THEM IN EVERY AMBUSH, then if they repent and keep up prayer [become believers] and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them (9:5)

And if they intend to act unfaithfully towards you, so indeed they acted unfaithfully towards Allah before, but He GAVE YOU MASTERY OVER THEM (8:71)

FIGHT THEM: ALLAH WILL PUNISH THEM BY YOUR HANDS AND BRING THEM TO DISGRACE, AND ASSIST YOU AGAINST THEM. (9:14)

FIGHT THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN ALLAH, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, NOR FOLLOW THE RELIGION OF TRUTH, OUT OF THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BOOK [Christians and Jews], until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and THEY ARE IN A STATE OF SUBJECTION. (9:29)

O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination. (9:73)

O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness; and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil). (9:123)

I WILL CAST TERROR INTO THE HEARTS OF THOSE WHO DISBELIEVE. THEREFORE STRIKE OFF THEIR HEADS AND STRIKE OFF EVERY FINGERTIP OF THEM. THIS IS BECAUSE THEY ACTED ADVERSELY TO ALLAH AND HIS MESSENGER; AND WHOEVER ACTS ADVERSELY TO ALLAH AND HIS MESSENGER - THEN SURELY ALLAH IS SEVERE IN REQUITING (EVIL). THIS - TASTE IT, AND (KNOW) THAT FOR THE UNBELIEVERS IS THE PUNISHMENT OF FIRE. O you who believe! When you meet those who disbelieve marching for war, then turn not your backs to them. And whoever shall turn his back to them on that day - unless he turn aside for the sake of fighting or withdraws to a company - then he, indeed, becomes deserving of Allah's wrath, and his abode is hell; and an evil destination shall it be. So you did not slay them, but it was Allah Who slew them and you did not smite when you smote (the enemy) but it was Allah Who smote, and that He might confer upon the believers a good gift from Himself; (8:12-17)

And that you should judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires, and be cautious of them, lest they seduce you from part of what Allah has revealed to you; but if they turn back, then know that Allah desires to afflict them on account of some of their faults; and most surely many of the people are transgressors. Is it then the judgment of the times of ignorance that they desire: and who is better than Allah to judge for a people who are sure? O YOU WHO BELIEVE! DO NOT TAKE THE JEWS AND THE CHRISTIANS FOR FRIENDS; THEY ARE FRIENDS OF EACH OTHER; AND WHOEVER AMONGST YOU TAKES THEM FOR A FRIEND, THEN SURELY HE IS ONE OF THEM; SURELY ALLAH DOES NOT GUIDE THE UNJUST PEOPLE. (5:49-51)

The punishment of those who pit themselves against Allah and His Messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement, except those who repent before you have them in your power (5:33-34)

Believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Three. Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one god: far be it from his glory that He should have a son. (4:171)

What is the matter with you, then, that you have become two parties about the hypocrites, while Allah has made them return (to unbelief) for what they have earned? Do you wish to guide him whom Allah has caused to err? And whomsoever Allah causes to err, you shall by no means find a way for him. THEY DESIRE THAT YOU SHOULD DISBELIEVE AS THEY HAVE DISBELIEVED, SO THAT YOU MIGHT BE ALL ALIKE; THEREFORE TAKE NOT FROM AMONG THEM FRIENDS UNTIL THEY FLY THEIR HOMES IN ALLAH'S WAY; BUT IF THEY TURN BACK, THEN SEIZE THEM AND KILL THEM WHEREVER YOU FIND THEM, AND TAKE NOT FROM AMONG THEM A FRIEND OR A HELPER. (4:89)

they said near, unless it was ontop of Ground zero, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I think when you want to put a mosque named after the caliphate that conquered and brought islam to spain back in the day, near ground zero, your being an asshole.

Never forget this is NYC we're talking about. Upper East and West side elite Democrats... I'm sure they all think this is very enlightened and "above it all".

Regardless of what gibberish they put forth (it is considered okay to lie to infidels), this mosque will mark one of the most proud and holy sites in the Muslim world, denoting exactly where the infidels were conquered in front of allah and the world.

Muslims have a long history of erecting mosques to denote where they have won great battles against non-believers.

They neither won nor conquered a damn thing. New York is still standing, the US is still the same country it was before 9/11 where freedom of speech and of religion and liberty reign supreme as the highest ideals. Please stop giving the 9/11 murderers a credit they do not deserve. This mosque means nothing at all. They did not win.

Erod So did Christians interesting... I am starting to see a pattern...

I'm sorry but what?

When did Muslims 'win' a battle against US? I wasn't even aware Muslims were in a war with US.
And apparently according to you, Muslims won. Hence the Mosque.
I don't know whether to be flattered Muslims beat US in your head or plain confused.

OT: As long as the Mosque is not on the spot. Why does it matter?

I'm sorry but what?

When did Muslims 'win' a battle against US? I wasn't even aware Muslims were in a war with US.
And apparently according to you, Muslims won. Hence the Mosque.
I don't know whether to be flattered Muslims beat US in your head or plain confused.

OT: As long as the Mosque is not on the spot. Why does it matter?

My guess is when he says "Muslims", he probably means terrorists. It's the only way this makes any sense. Terrorists certainly scored big on 9/11, that's a fact. Muslims, however, lost a whole lot.

My guess is when he says "Muslims", he probably means terrorists. It's the only way this makes any sense. Terrorists certainly scored big on 9/11, that's a fact. Muslims, however, lost a whole lot.

I thought that too but when do terrorists build a mosque on the same spot where they won a "battle"?

Are you kidding me, New York? You're going to allow a mosque to be planted right at the site where radical Islam struck us in the heart of our nation?

It's not being constructed on ground zero, so why are you continuing to lie? Your hatred for anything Muslim is shining brightly through.

The only thing anti-American I see about all this, is your comments.

Some loving quotes from the Koran:

Shall we post out of context quotes from the Christian Bible about stoning people, etc too?

Clearly all Muslims are terrorists...Just like every jew is rich and controls the media that hates israel, and just like every Christan rapes little kids, damn it Christan get a better stereotype.. [/sarcasm]

Muslim community is trying to reach out and repair some of the damage that was done to our relationship with them, and you people are spitting in their faces. How very American of you. Maybe some day we'll grow out of this Muslim = Terrorist thing and actually remember that one of our founding principles is freedom of religion.

So that part, in the constitution, about freedom of religion and assembly should have a footnote*

*This Right excludes Muslims.

Muslim community is trying to reach out and repair some of the damage that was done to our relationship with them, and you people are spitting in their faces.

By building a mosque in which Christians will not be allowed to enter.

I love the fact some conservatives love to champion about the rights of private industry, private property and so on.... except if some damn brown people/muslim "terrorists" own that property.

You may not like it Erod, but it is their RIGHT, and not for you to circumvent.

Getting upset at a mosque being built near ground zero is like getting upset when a church is constructed near the abortion clinic that Eric Rudolph bombed. Don't blame the religion for the action of radicals.

It's a 13 story community building with a mosque in it and also you're just plain wrong.

EDIT: Also, serious question: Where are people getting the idea that Christians would not be allowed inside?

Last edited:
Its tactless and a rather douchy move to do this. Its not going to "repair" any bridges, its just going to inflame the situation and make it work. The people attempting this are either completely and utterly stupid or complete assholes that enjoy pissing people off.

That said, if they get ownership of the land they're more than welcome to do whatever they want on it. Hell, if they manage to buy the land directly on top of the two main WTC's and build a giant sign that says "We Hate America" they'd be free to do that. Property rights are a bitch, the constitution at times can be a bitch, but if we're going to uphold them then we need to do it even during times when it pisses us off. Banning them from buying property or making a building based on their religion isn't right in any way shape or form. And last I checked, being tactless douchebags does not disqualify one from constitutional protection.

Its tactless and a rather douchy move to do this. Its not going to "repair" any bridges, its just going to inflame the situation and make it work. The people attempting this are either completely and utterly stupid or complete assholes that enjoy pissing people off.

That said, if they get ownership of the land they're more than welcome to do whatever they want on it. Hell, if they manage to buy the land directly on top of the two main WTC's and build a giant sign that says "We Hate America" they'd be free to do that. Property rights are a bitch, the constitution at times can be a bitch, but if we're going to uphold them then we need to do it even during times when it pisses us off. Banning them from buying property or making a building based on their religion isn't right in any way shape or form. And last I checked, being tactless douchebags does not disqualify one from constitutional protection.

Last I checked, these people weren't responsible for what happened. If people are holding them responsible, that's their own damned problem. Aren't you conservatives usually the ones screaming about America becoming overly politically correct? Waah, waah, some people's feelings might be hurt because they're idiots who think all Muslims are terrorists. Why should anybody care what bigots think?

Hmm my dad works in city and he came back all fine and alive oh and guess what (gasp) he'll be going back to work on Monday!!!!! New York conquered, what a joke! Too much violence and hate resides here for it to be conquered for long. HA!

Private Property Rights ring any bells?

This is a poor choice and I would imagine that there will be some vandalism. Doesn't mean it's right to vandalize, but this isn't about building bridges. It's inflammatory.

Last I checked, these people weren't responsible for what happened.

Doesn't matter. Last I checked the people that carried out the attack did so for reasons almost to a singularity tied to their extremist version of their religion, which was Islam. No matter how much people may want to erase that from peoples minds, its not going to happen. Sadly, while perhaps logical at its most root levels, comparing an abortion clinic bombing to the largest act of war/terrorism placed upon this country since Pearl Harbor (and arguably worse than that in terms of its scope) is absolute foolishness in terms of the impact it has and how much more it enters the psyche and how the things around it play on people.

These specific people are not responsible for it, however their religion...taken to the extreme...was in large part of a reason for the act occurring. This is engraved in many peoples minds.

If people are holding them responsible, that's their own damned problem.

Yes, it is their own damn problem. How they respond to said problem can be other peoples problem though. If it is legal to drink in public in the particular area I'm in and I decide to go to the site where just last week a family of 4 children and their parents died because a drunk driver hit them and begin to chug bottles of Jack its perfectly in my rights to do so, and its other peoples problems if they're offended. However that doesn't change the fact that I'm a tactless dick for not stopping and thinking that "Hey, this is going to likely offend a large amount of people and there is no legitimate reason for me to be doing this."

Now you say "But wait! There is a reason to do this! It's to reach out to people to teach them about Islam?"

Really?

Who is it supposed to be reaching out to? All the people who are supporting this as a smart and great thing to do? Why would they need to "Reach out" to them, as those people are generally the ones that have absolutely zero issue with the muslim faith in any way shape or form and thus wouldn't require reaching out to.

Which leaves us to reaching out to people who have "misconceptions" about the Muslim faith or dislike it in general or just outright are bigoted to it. Yet those are the people that are in general actually upset, annoyed, or full out inflamed over this. So you're telling me that your "outreach" to these kind of people is going to start off by performing an act they find offensive and disrespectful down to their very core?

As I've said before in other threads....either these people are the biggest bunch of dishonest douchebags known to man, or they're freaking idiots with the IQ of 40.

Aren't you conservatives usually the ones screaming about America becoming overly politically correct?

Yep, in general we are. That said there is a large difference between over the top political correctness and simply being offended by something. More to the point, there's a difference between wanting people to be political correct and wanting people to be polite. Expecting people to not tell jokes focused on racial stereotypes amongst a group of friends that all know each other and realize its all in humor and if its found out they've done it lambasting them for it is needlessly trying to impose "Political Correctness". Being against that doesn't mean you think its okay for someone to go into the middle of an establishment known to be frequent by large amounts of Blacks or Jews and start rattling off ethnic jokes regarding them. Being against that is not "Political Correctness", its simply wishing people to be polite and mindful of others feelings.

"Politically Correct" would be saying we Muslims should be made to feel like they should refrain from praying while they're within site of the WTC or wearing typical Muslim garb or speaking in arabic because it may offend someone and we can't have that. Saying "I think these people lack tact" for attempting to build a permanent structure supposedly to "reach out" to people that is doing nothing but inflaming the only group of people it makes sense to "Reach out to" is not about Political Correctness, its about being polite.

Note no where have I said they should be banned, I've not said they should be protested, I've not said that they should be picketed or boycotted. I just said they're assholes or idiots, one or the other.

Waah, waah, some people's feelings might be hurt because they're idiots who think all Muslims are terrorists. Why should anybody care what bigots think?

Or that they think that Islam, taken to the extreme, was the driving force that led to the collapse of those towers and seeing a huge building dedicated to said religion instantly conjures up memories of that fact. I know this may hard for you to grasp, because it would require you to step out of your box that all conservatives or people that disagree with you must be bigoted racists, but it is possible to believe that Islam in part was to blame for those terrorist attacks and having a giant thing reminding you of it isn't exactly the most polite or respectful thing and NOT believe that "all muslims are Terrorists".

Guess what, I don't think all box cutters are the tool of the devil and used only by terrorists....but if someone decided to buy a plot of land near the World Trade Center to build a giant statue of a Box Cutter and tried to peddle the BS that "They're building it as outreach to show people that just because Box Cutters helped in the attack that they're not bad things" I would be against that too.

There's a few BIG things that tend to stick out due to the coverage and the incident surrounding 9/11. The weapons used, the method of attack, the locations, and yes the religious zeal of the terrorists that did it. Even for someone that's not part of the "all muslims are terrorists" groups might immediately have their mind start jumping to thoughts of that day and the emotions tied to it if multiple portions are put together.

To put it another way.

If someone says "Islam" my first thought isn't 9/11.

If someone says "Islam and flying" my first thought isn't really 9/11.

If someone says "Islam and the World Trade Center" my first thought immediately goes to 9/11 and the emotions of the direct aftermath of the attack that I had in regards to those that did it (Rage, anger) as you're giving me imagery that relates directly to the attackers (Their religion, which drove them) and a location (the trade centers).

Which is why I say this is a tactless and douchy thing to do...as you're essentially creating the visual equivalent of the above by putting a giant building dedicated to Islam right next to the World Trade Center and then acting surprised and upset when many people, and not just bigots like you foolishly attempt to imply, immediately garner an emotional reaction based on an immediate memory recall of a horrific event in their lives.

This notion of memory recall does not just apply to muslims. If you said to me "Firefighters" my first thought would not be 9/11. If you said "Firefighters and heroics" my first thought would possibly not be 9/11. If you said "Firefighters and the World Trade Center" again my mind would instantly jump to 9/11 and the emotions I had during that time in regards to those providing the rescue (awe, pride, respect).

As I said, as a conservative, I believe in the constitution....I don't pick and choose where I agree with it...and thus I don't think they should be banned from owning land based on their religion. I believe in property rights, so if they fairly buy the land and its legal to put a religious building there then they have every right to do so. However none of that means I can't think they're tactless jackasses who are doing something either to inflame or out of pure abject stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom