• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

North Korea Just Set Off a Nuclear Weapon

26 X World Champs said:
Conspiracy Theorists should have a "blast" with this one...talk about "timing" before an election...nothing like a good old fashioned nuclear scare tactic to bring out the vote...
If this isn't part of the October Surprise, I'd be ... surprised. But, at least it took the heat off Hastert.:lol:

danarhea said:
This is about a madman who runs North Korea, and who is willing to die and have his own nation completely destroyed in order to bring mushroom clouds to America.
:clap: exactly. This guy is crazy and doesn't give two cents about anyone in his country. What is scary is I think he will try to do something completely insanse to try and prove to the world something. What it is, I have no idea.

btw, I just loved him in Team America:World Police....."I'm so wonwy...":rofl

It apears the Bush haters are in step with Iran...

Iran Blames U.S. for N. Korea Nuke Test

Oct 9, 10:44 AM (ET)

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - Iranian state radio Monday blamed North Korea's reported nuclear test on U.S. pressure, accusing Washington of "humiliating" the impoverished communist country.

"Not only did the United States not lift the sanctions it had imposed on North Korea, it even increased the diplomatic pressure. Such pressure finally led North Korea to conduct its nuclear test," Iranian state radio said in a commentary.

"North Korea's nuclear test was a reaction to America's threats and humiliation," it said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061009/D8KL60FO0.html

I don't think N. Korea is a threat to anyone more than a couple hours... Yes they could kill a couple hundred thousand S. Koreans or maybe kill a few Japanese but why would they do that knowing they would be destroyed?

N. Korean test apparently wasn't a nuke but conventional explosion, or at best a disfunctional Nuke.

Pictures of a million man army flowing south across the DMS is insanity without China in close support... There would be killing alright but it would be a bloodbath for N. Korea times ten what they are able to dish out. S. Korea has one of the largest armies in the world also... But the play on the ground simply doesn't allow N. Korea to move large numbers of troops south quickly. I was stationed on the DMZ during my last year in the army and to get there you pass through a peacemeal tank trap barrier north of Seoul... every highway has a cube of concrete about thirty feet high with explosives set to drop it closing the route. As their engineers attempted to move barriers to proceed south our navy and S Korea would kill every living thing above the barrier with conventional weapons.

They have nothing to gain.

KidRocks said:
Hell yes I do it will keep extremists like President Bush in check, nothing like an "equalizer" they say.

I say disarm the world now but if that it not possible (and I'm a realist in that that will never happen) then arm the whole f***ing world just like back in the wild, wild West days!

And like the days of the wild wild west, it's everyone for themselves. You'll have the moron that just goes and wipes out an entire town just for the hell of it? There's nothing good that would come from the proliferation of nukes.

The only failure of this diplomatically is that N. Korea has been put on the back burner for too long.
A strike against N. Korea is completely out of the question - the 6 party talks have obviously failed; the big question though is what is Beijing going to do with Pyongyang? How strong is diplomacy with Beijing? This is going to be the real test.

Synch said:
I'm far more concerned of the political implications this would have on Japanese politics and the geopolitical atmosphere of Asian in general. This could cause grievous impacts on our lives a litany of ways. Investment in Asia goes down, Japan with its radical nationalism that still exists today can easily convince its population the threat is imminent and more easily develop plutonium bombs themselves.
Japan going nuclear is going to be real bad news.

KidRocks said:
President Bush is to blame for North Korea's membership in the nuclear-armed nations club. President Bush with his hostile labeling of North Korea as a member of the "axis of evil" forced NK to speed up it's quest for the bomb. Bush with his attack on Iraq probably scared the hell out of NK.

I don't blame NK one bit for trying to defend itself against a very hostile and threatening President Bush. President Bush asked for it and he is indeed getting his wish, "bring em on" said the cowboy! North Korea did just that, Iraq is doing the same and can Iran be far behind?
Do you think for one moment that anything Bush could or would have done would've prevented Kim Jun Il's nuke test?

Goobieman said:
It apears the Bush haters are in step with Iran...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061009/D8KL60FO0.html

That article represents Iran trying to justify its refusal to cease it's enrichment activities. As such, Iran can have have a nice big cup of shut the f**k up.

Kim Jong Ill II will be punished for his behavior. North Korea has done nothing more than permenantly alienate themselves from the rest of the world. Now EVERYBODY...except maybe those whackos in Iran are mad at [Iran] them.

:doh

danarhea said:
North Korea has defied the UN and conducted its first ever nuclear test.

Ah, the world is going to hell headfirst, and let me say, it's gonna be some ride. :2razz:

Duke

Goobieman said:
So, does anyone STILL think we dont need a NMD?
Absolutely. Because it would only cause a larger scale arms race.
When the US and the USSR signed the ban on NMD it was specifically because of a fear of first strike.
It might seem all fine and dandy today when we would be the only country that has NMD's but what will you do when China has an NMD? Or if Iran has an NMD or N. Korea? They would all have first strike without fear of retaliation. You're creating further instability in the already unstable international sphere.

jfuh said:
Do you think for one moment that anything Bush could or would have done would've prevented Kim Jun Il's nuke test?

Yes he could have bombed the sh!t out of them then or now, Bush is being a ****ing *****, I voted for him because he said to hell with worthless U.N. resolutions, now he's all like we're going to throw down the gauntlet and issue a stern warning and that's not all no no no we're going to place sanctions on this guy that'll show him. Bull****ingshit this guy Kim Jong Il'lin the villian who's in need of some killin' doesn't give a damn about sanctions his people have already been reduced to cannabalism for ****'s sakes what's it to him he doesn't care if a few more of his people starve, infact he's laughing right now saying "sanctions?" "sanctions?!" "lmfao I enjoy making my people suffer you stupid paper tiger ***** Americans now go tell Laura that if she wants some of this yellow lovin' she knows the digits George you ****-old punk bitch now excuse me I have to figure out how to fasten this big nuclear ****er onto an ICBM."

Last edited:
jfuh said:
Absolutely. Because it would only cause a larger scale arms race.
Thats the common myth aming those that dont like the very idea of us being able to shoot down nukes headed for our cities.

The fact is, the NMD is a limited system desgined to stop a limited strike from a nation such as NK -- it isnt designed or intended to stop a strike from the Russians, and given the number of missiles and warheads they have, the NMD would have little, if any, effect in a general exchange. NMD does nothing to affect MAD between us and them.

And so, aside from trying to monger fear, there's no reason to argue that a NMD will bring about another arms race.

When the US and the USSR signed the ban on NMD it was specifically because of a fear of first strike.
Meaningless point, given the above,

They would all have first strike without fear of retaliation. You're creating further instability in the already unstable international sphere.
Your premise is flawed, as illsutrated above.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
Dont have a link yet. Just happened. North Korea has defied the UN and conducted its first ever nuclear test.

It would be suisidal for kim to actually use those nukes against anyone else so lets hope he has sence enough not to. If he actually attacked another country useing nukes then Ruissa America and China [3 of the largest nuclear powers in the world] would all want to take him out. North Korea would have no chance of winning a nuclear war so why start one? That said perhaps depending on the north korean government to be rational is asking to much:roll:

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Yes he could have bombed the sh!t out of them then or now, Bush is being a ****ing *****, I voted for him because he said to hell with worthless U.N. resolutions, now he's all like we're going to throw down the gauntlet and issue a stern warning and that's not all no no no we're going to place sanctions on this guy that'll show him. Bull****ingshit this guy Kim Jong Il'lin the villian who's in need of some killin' doesn't give a damn about sanctions his people have already been reduced to cannabalism for ****'s sakes what's it to him he doesn't care if a few more of his people starve, infact he's laughing right now saying "sanctions?" "sanctions?!" "lmfao I enjoy making my people suffer you stupid paper tiger ***** Americans now go tell Laura that if she wants some of this yellow lovin' she knows the digits George you ****-old punk bitch now excuse me I have to figure out how to fasten this big nuclear ****er onto an ICBM."
Fortunately the war mongering Bush is not as trigger happy as you are.

Goobieman said:
Thats the common myth aming those that dont like the very idea of us being able to shoot down nukes headed for our cities.

The fact is, the NMD is a limited system desgined to stop a limited strike from a nation such as NK -- it isnt designed or intended to stop a strike from the Russians, and given the number of missiles and warheads they have, the NMD would have little, if any, effect in a general exchange. NMD does nothing to affect MAD between us and them.

And so, aside from trying to monger fear, there's no reason to argue that a NMD will bring about another arms race.
The fact is proven by history. The reason we the US signed the antibalistic missile agreement with the Soveits with by Nixon was specifically because of the reasons I've already listed - in a nutshell - first strike.

Goobieman said:
Meaningless point, given the above,
Actually the very basis. Sorry you can't comprehend that.

Goobieman said:
Your premise is flawed, as illsutrated above.
According to your ignorance.

jfuh said:
The reason we the US signed the antibalistic missile agreement with the Soveits with by Nixon was specifically because of the reasons I've already listed - in a nutshell - first strike.
And this has what to do with the NMD?

Allow me to restate myself, since you appear to have missed it:

Given that, how is there any relevance in anything you've posted here?

Goobieman said:
And this has what to do with the NMD?

Allow me to restate myself, since you appear to have missed it:

Given that, how is there any relevance in anything you've posted here?
Given that, it's total utter nonsense.
So what, Russia launches a nuke on the US, we're not going to use the NMD against that nuke? Bullshit.
"Sir we just detected a nuke coming in from Russia, arming NMD system to intercept" "cancel that, it's coming in from Russia and because of MAD we are not to intercept"
NMD completely overturns MAD because there would be no mutual there would only be assured destruction against them.

jfuh said:
Given that, it's total utter nonsense.
You;re talking about your argument?
Yes -- its nonsense.

The NMD cannot stop enough missiles to affect the MAD doctrine between the Russians and ourselves, and so your argument to that effect has absolutely NO validity.

So what, Russia launches a nuke on the US, we're not going to use the NMD against that nuke? Bullshit.
Strawman.
The Russians arent going to launch one, they're going to launch all of them. The NMD will not be relevant in this scenario, and so your argument here is -- your word -- bullshit.

NMD completely overturns MAD because there would be no mutual there would only be assured destruction against them.
You arent paying any attention at all, are you?

The NMD cannot stop enough Russian missiles to have any affect on MAD. Why are you having so much trouble understanding this, even after you yourself posted the operational parameters of the system?

Is this willful ignorance on your part or are you out of syllables for the day?

Goobieman said:
You;re talking about your argument?
Yes -- its nonsense.

The NMD cannot stop enough missiles to affect the MAD doctrine between the Russians and ourselves, and so your argument to that effect has absolutely NO validity.
Easily remedied by building more.

Goobieman said:
Strawman.
The Russians arent going to launch one, they're going to launch all of them. The NMD will not be relevant in this scenario, and so your argument here is -- your word -- bullshit.
Familiarize yourself with what a strawman is before you use it.

Goobieman said:
You arent paying any attention at all, are you?

The NMD cannot stop enough Russian missiles to have any affect on MAD. Why are you having so much trouble understanding this, even after you yourself posted the operational parameters of the system?

Is this willful ignorance on your part or are you out of syllables for the day?
:roll: pathetic.

Ya and now we have a nuclear armed North Korea instead of a smoldering crater. Which one would you rather have?
Neither Mr. Strawman.

Ya and now we have a nuclear armed North Korea instead of a smoldering crater. Which one would you rather have?

How fast would a Nuclear war come about if we nuked or even attacked every country who became a threat? Your logic on this situation would send the world back to the stone-age.

You think those enemies of the US would sit around and watch us Nuke other enemies of the US? No they would see they need to resort to the most extreme actions before they are annihilated as well.

jfuh said:
Neither Mr. Strawman.

Actually that would be the fallacy of the excluded middle.

Regardless, apparently the only way to stop North Korea from obtaining nuclear weapons is by destroying their regime, diplomacy, resolutions, and sanctions have quite obviously been a failure now the only means to take out this ticking time bomb is the only extension of diplomacy that we have left as a viable option IE military force.

jfuh said:
Familiarize yourself with what a strawman is before you use it.
:roll: pathetic.
Is this what passes for "honest debate" in your world?
:roll:

jfuh said:
And...?
We're not debating "building more" we're debating the NMD as planned.
Your comment here is -- guess what -- a strawman.

And you didnt answer my question:
Why are you having so much trouble understanding that the NMD does not have the capability or the intention to affect MAD even after you yourself posted the operational parameters of the system?

Here's a simple test for you:
The NMD is designed to shoot down 50 warheads.
How many do the Russians have?

Gibberish said:
How fast would a Nuclear war come about if we nuked or even attacked every country who became a threat? Your logic on this situation would send the world back to the stone-age.

I don't know how many declared enemies of the United States are actively seeking nuclear weapons? Oh ya two, so your whole stone age assertion is only true if you think that anyone would actually miss Iran or North Korea, anyone? Anyone? Show of hands who would miss them?

Back
Top Bottom