• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

North Korea Just Set Off a Nuclear Weapon

And what if other countries decide to follow suit and abandon THEIR no-first-strike policies as well? Will that make the world a safer place?

danarhea said:
Looks like we agree on something finally. NK has the capabilty to hit Hawaii, so this may turn out to be nasty. My suggestion is to glass over North Korea before they have a chance to get their birds aloft.

Leave North Korea alone, so they have the bomb, good for them. In my humble opinion North Korea will not use the bomb any more than we would, oops, we already used a couple, didn't we? :3oops:

I actually hope that Iran is next in acquiring the bomb because it will force madmen like President Bush from trying to expand their so called 'democracy"!

It will also force Bush to respect those two countries in that part of the world thus negotiations will be the mode now!

danarhea said:
There is not enough radiation to reach Japan in the kind of quantities you are talking about.
Japan, probably not, but given a strong jet stream, several kiloton tactical nukes would indeed have enough combined radiation to effect the western side of the main island, particularily since it's on the windward side.

S. Korea on the other hand would indeed be contaminated.
So, while I see the urgency, can we first dispense with the trigger happy Dr. Strangeglove stuff? First strike is not an option - this whole pre-emptive strike bullshit has gone just a bit too far.
This is the same thing ppl said when the soviets got the nuke and when China got the nuke. I don't know enough about N. Korea, but I do know one thing, Kim Jun Il is not about to get to the point of seriously ******* off China, it's only life line.

KidRocks said:
Leave North Korea alone, so they have the bomb, good for them. In my humble opinion North Korea will not use the bomb any more than we would, oops, we already used a couple, didn't we? :3oops:

I actually hope that Iran is next in acquiring the bomb because it will force madmen like President Bush from trying to expand their so called 'democracy"!

It will also force Bush to respect those two countries in that part of the world thus negotiations will be the mode now!
What the **** are you thinking? Do not think for one moment them getting the bomb is a good thing.

jfuh said:
What the **** are you thinking? Do not think for one moment them getting the bomb is a good thing.

Hell yes I do it will keep extremists like President Bush in check, nothing like an "equalizer" they say.

I say disarm the world now but if that it not possible (and I'm a realist in that that will never happen) then arm the whole f***ing world just like back in the wild, wild West days!

President Bush is to blame for North Korea's membership in the nuclear-armed nations club. President Bush with his hostile labeling of North Korea as a member of the "axis of evil" forced NK to speed up it's quest for the bomb. Bush with his attack on Iraq probably scared the hell out of NK.

I don't blame NK one bit for trying to defend itself against a very hostile and threatening President Bush. President Bush asked for it and he is indeed getting his wish, "bring em on" said the cowboy! North Korea did just that, Iraq is doing the same and can Iran be far behind?

Last edited:
I'm far more concerned of the political implications this would have on Japanese politics and the geopolitical atmosphere of Asian in general. This could cause grievous impacts on our lives a litany of ways. Investment in Asia goes down, Japan with its radical nationalism that still exists today can easily convince its population the threat is imminent and more easily develop plutonium bombs themselves.

KidRocks said:
President Bush is to blame for North Korea's membership in the nuclear-armed nations club. President Bush with his hostile labeling of North Korea as a member of the "axis of evil" forced NK to speed up it's quest for the bomb. Bush with his attack on Iraq probably scared the hell out of NK.

I don't blame NK one bit for trying to defend itself against a very hostile and threatening President Bush. President Bush asked for it and he is indeed getting his wish, "bring em on" said the cowboy! North Korea did just that, Iraq is doing the same and can Iran be far behind?

You are the reason many REAL liberals are now ashamed of that label. Good job. :doh

And so the debate continues, those with the "Bomb them to hell and back brigade" and those like myself who say calm reasoning must be employed, then of course there are those who state that this is all the result of American Imperialism.

I prefer my way (naturally).

Should the wild ones have their way, then we will have a Nuclear war with someone, sooner rather than later.

The next obvious step is the possibility that SK and Japan will demand the right to manufacture Nuclear devices, then possibly Indonesia and Malaysia after which almost any country in that region will doubtless climb on the band wagon.

And yet, the only difference between yesterday and today is that NK have proven what almost everyone already knew, they have the ability to build a Nuclear Bomb.

You should be more concerned about certain ME and N African country's who are presently researching Nuclear Physics, of course you have probably never heard about the potential for future nuclear threats from these country's, but over the next few years you will.

The more Country's that both develop, build and consequently test Nuclear bombs the less secure mankind becomes.

The less secure mankind becomes, the more neurotic it becomes.

The world must now come to terms and recognise that nuclear proliferation can no longer be contained, so we now need policies that allow for this and at the same time keep irrational leaders and their political advisors under control.

KidRocks said:

I completely disagree. North Korea and Iran becoming nuclear powers would have a ripple effect.

Make no mistake. Japan and South Korea will be seriously considering starting a nuclear arms race after this. Who next? Vietnam? Indonesia? Austrailia? Lost of countries with nukes with historical rivarly and hatred between them eg. China and Japan, is just plain dangerous.

A nuclear Iran, will make the Sunni nations of Saudi Arabia and Eygpt starting thinking of nukes. A nuclear arms race in the Middle East. Jesus.

KidRocks said:
Hell yes I do it will keep extremists like President Bush in check, nothing like an "equalizer" they say.

I say disarm the world now but if that it not possible (and I'm a realist in that that will never happen) then arm the whole f***ing world just like back in the wild, wild West days!

There is far more dangerous people than George W Bush out there Kidrocks, I think you partisan opinions are blinding you to the reality of the situation.

JFUH, you are such a slippery slopey type of argumentative type of guy.
If we were to go by your logic then no nation should have a nuclear weapon.

The only reason N.Korea comes under comdemnation from the international community is because she has a policy of non-compliance with the world. Yet countries like Pakistan and India can test multiple nuclear weapons at one time and it wouldn't even make the six o'clock news.

It's about compliance, nothing more. A nuclear Iran would be a good thing in my opinion too, since nobody in America seems to care whether there aim is for peace anyway.

unfortunately, many liberals think this guy must first detonate one on U.S. soil and kill thousands of Americans before we can act.

gynks2001 said:
a nuke is a nuke.
Nkorea and Skorea are way to close to attempt something like that.
No, a nuke is not a nuke.
A 20kt nule is far different than a 200kt nuke is far different than a 2 MT nuke.
Depending in where it is used, a 20kt nuke will have no effect on SK, Japan or China.

So, does anyone STILL think we dont need a NMD?

KidRocks said:

Hey! Where's Caine on this?

Shouldn't he be complaining about partisan bickering? :roll:

Kandahar said:
And what if other countries decide to follow suit and abandon THEIR no-first-strike policies as well? Will that make the world a safer place?
Agreed! It shocks, sickens and amazes me that some of you have already passed the "Fail Safe" point and are actually advocating "Tactical Nuclear Weapons."

You guys are fuc king crazy! Did you ever study why during the Cold War nukes were never used? Know why? Because it meant the MUTUAL destruction of society! DUH! You're all incredibly naive or incredibly stupid or both if you think the world would rally around a US pre-emptive nuclear weapons attack against ANYONE!

What is most shocking is that you've all bought into the damn NeoCon agenda of never using diplomacy as a means to the end! Nope, "NUke 'EM" instead of "Talk to Them."

There have been lots of repulsive things advocated over the time I've been in this Forum but none of them compare to some of you actually coming out for a Nuclear War!

Bush's complete and utter failure to engage N. Korea in any type of diplomatic effort has gotten us to where we are today. When Bush took office N. Korea had, at most, two weapons. Today the estimate is between 10-15! All done under the Bush watch!

Conspiracy Theorists should have a "blast" with this one...talk about "timing" before an election...nothing like a good old fashioned nuclear scare tactic to bring out the vote...

One more thing, North Korea has no method of delivering a Nuke. Their missile program is a bust, they're "air force" is a rubber band and balsa wood flying force...

So how about we crank down the "Blow 'Em Up" rhetoric and instead engage in DIPLOMACY?

I'm so sickened by every single one of you who are advocating a pre-emptive nuclear attack against ANY nation!

I was going to post a picture here of what happens to someone in a nuclear attack but I think it is TOO vivid to simply post it. Here's a link for you but be warned - GRAPHIC VIOLENT PICTURE SHOWING PEOPLE NUKED!

http://www.mctv.ne.jp/~bigapple/Victim0.gif

KidRocks said:

This post is just a whacked out as anything ever written by the most dedicated NeoCon!

I want to state that KidRocks point of view has NOTHING to do with Liberalism or Democratic ideals as I interpret them. He's on an island of one...

ProudAmerican said:
unfortunately, many liberals think this guy must first detonate one on U.S. soil and kill thousands of Americans before we can act.
Bullshit! What a ridiculous comment! Seems like Diplomacy is a word not in the NeoCon (and their supporters) dictionary.

Just saw GW do his address with a picture of George Washington behind him--I don't see any correlation between the two.

If GW is serious about the War on Islam (aka War on Terror) and N.Korea has shown it has a ultimate WMD, (unlike Iraq) and N.Korea has been labeled by him as the "Axis of Evil" then surely we can justify an attack on N.Korea--if not, it's just a war on Islam and not Terror--not protecting American lives. Time to walk it and really show the seriousness of protecting lives--and no, sanctions aren't going to remove nukes from N.Korea, just makes the poor even poorer.

Navy Seal Patriot said:
You for the war in IRAQ? Then what's your excuse not to enlist, to go as a private contractor or emplyee thereof, a humanitarian aid, etc. Walk the walk, those who talk--your words are just refuse.

Are you for having firemen?
Are you for having policeemen?
Are you for having the FBI? BATF?

Have you signed up to be any of these things?

What's your excuse?
Walk the walk, or your words are just refuse.

:roll:

26 X World Champs said:
Bullshit! What a ridiculous comment! Seems like Diplomacy is a word not in the NeoCon (and their supporters) dictionary.

Its not and thats why we are in the situation we find ourselves. GW labelled NK as part of the Axis of Evil and has threatened them on many occasions. After seeing 2 other members of the 'Axis of Evil' gang fall victim to US military action its hardly surprising they have sought WMD to defend themselves. Personally, I think they have had this capability for quite some time but in the current environment they have thought it necessary to dispell the doubters. They can now rest safe in the knowledge there will NEVER be a US invasion or occupation of NK in the future.

What do we do now is the question. If we follow our usual aggresive and non-diplomatic approach I have grave concerns. Threats are clealry not going to help matters, nor will sanctions (which as we have seen from Iraq only increase the suffering of the civilians of the country and not those in power) - we need diplomatic talks. Remove the hostility between our two nations and you remove the threat - NK knows for sure to launch a nuke at the US will sentence it to a very short existance so why would it choose to do so?

Everyone listen up:

This is not about Iraq, nor is it about Iran, the war on terror, or any related situation. This is about a madman who runs North Korea, and who is willing to die and have his own nation completely destroyed in order to bring mushroom clouds to America. If you doubt that in the least, then read the following statement from Kim Myong Chol, who is Kim Jong-Il's spokesman:

The statement, in full, is here.

The theme of the statement is that, given the opportunity, war IS coming to US soil. Unlike the president of Iran, who values the lives of his people, not to mention his own, the leader of North Korea is a certifiable lunatic, who will stop at nothing to see America destroyed, by whatever means necessary, even if that means the destruction of his own life, and his own nation.

While I strongly disagree with almost everything about the Neocons, on this, I totally support them. Why? North Korea, in its own words, makes that agonizingly clear. They need to be taken out, and fast. If Democrats shy away from what needs to be done, then I will be on the side of the neocons, politically, until this issue is properly resolved, and North Korea is dealt with accordingly. Whatever disagreements I have with the neocons at this point, I will put aside for now, because this situation is a clear and present danger, and I put America, and her well-being, before anything else.

This situation cannot be allowed to stand. If that makes me a Bushnevik for the time being, then let it be so. I love America, and America comes first.

Last edited:
G-Man said:
Its not and thats why we are in the situation we find ourselves. GW labelled NK as part of the Axis of Evil and has threatened them on many occasions.
And rightly so. Remember that NK violated is agreement regarding nules long before GWB came into office.

After seeing 2 other members of the 'Axis of Evil' gang fall victim to US military action its hardly surprising they have sought WMD to defend themselves.
Which 2 are those?

What do we do now is the question. If we follow our usual aggresive and non-diplomatic approach I have grave concerns.
Um... show exasctly where we have been aggressive and non-diplomatic with North Korea.

Remove the hostility between our two nations and you remove the threat
What hostility? Where have we been hostile toward NK?

Back
Top Bottom