• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina judges block voter ID law, saying it discriminates against Black people

Then, obviously DIDN'T read it (at least not for comprehension). Moreover, impossible is not the same as unconstitutional. Do the difficulties of obtaining an ID a) impose a burden on those who wish to vote? b) do those burdens have a disparate impact? THAT is the constitutional standard, and the law didn't meet it.
the answer to both questions is no. you need an ID for about a thousand different things, including buying alcohol or a firearm (which is an actual constitutional right, unlike voting). So would you be in favor of removing ID requirements for alcohol and firearm purchases?
What is most infuriating in reading these responses is the inability (or unwillingness) to comprehend or apply the actual standards or even common sense.
both have been applied. there is zero excuse for any person to not have an ID or be able to obtain one. Absolutely none.
Those are addressed in detail in the opinion. I've addressed them innumerable times in these threads.
which have been refuted. nothing what so ever is preventing a single person from obtaining an ID.

Shame on those North Carolina judges for refusing to support laws that prevent crooked elections. The United States Supreme Court may not have the courage to support the law because the conservative justices are already shaking in their boots at the possibility of court packing.
Shame on the MAGA sore losers who will use any excuse, no matter how weak, in a bald faced attempt to keep power in the face of growing opposition. The GOP used to scorn such actions in other countries... ✌️

A vote recount cannot find any illegal votes having been cast as once cast they become undocumented votes.

Whether by discriminatory Jim Crow voting laws or by racial gerrymandering, Republicans are always working to stifle the votes of people of color.
If they put as much energy into formulating policies that appeal to all voters, they wouldn't need to rig the election process.
Well, I didn't expect that. I thought all of the Republican South had doubled down on Trump, voting fraud, race and disenfranchising minorities. Good to see there are a few decent judges left in NC. Good for them!!!

FWIW, here's the NC Voter Registration Form. You have to provide a name, an address and a DOB. If you've never voted before you also need to provide something to verify your name and address. That "something" can be as little as a pay stub. For those that aren't aware, you can use any number of sites to simply make up a pay stub. Once you're registered you can request a mail in ballot and no ID is required for filing that either.

Now, with that information, how secure do you really think the NC voter system is? How difficult, with these meager controls, would it be for someone to just make up a fake name and fake DOB but use a real address and provide a fake pay stub or, better yet (in case someone thinks of that) use the online pay stub site to re-create a pay stub from a real employer but just use the fake name?
OK, let's say someone is intent on swinging the election, registers fraudulently and votes. That's one vote. Suppose 20 people vote fraudulently. That still doesn't change an election.

It takes state voting laws to change election outcomes, not individual voters. Why do you think the southern states are busy writing restrictive laws after losing an election: to prevent individual fraud????????? .......... hell no, they are assuring they win the next election cheating minority and poor voters out of their vote.

The idea that there is voter fraud has been disproven over and over and over. The fact that southern states are disenfranchising minorities and poor people has been documented over and over and over.

OK, let's say someone is intent on swinging the election, registers fraudulently and votes. That's one vote. Suppose 20 people vote fraudulently. That still doesn't change an election.

It takes state voting laws to change election outcomes, not individual voters. Why do you think the southern states are busy writing restrictive laws after losing an election: to prevent individual fraud????????? .......... hell no, they are assuring they win the next election cheating minority and poor voters out of their vote.

The idea that there is voter fraud has been disproven over and over and over. The fact that southern states are disenfranchising minorities and poor people has been documented over and over and over.
Not been proven is not synonymous with been disproven.

the answer to both questions is no. you need an ID for about a thousand different things, including buying alcohol or a firearm (which is an actual constitutional right, unlike voting). So would you be in favor of removing ID requirements for alcohol and firearm purchases?

both have been applied. there is zero excuse for any person to not have an ID or be able to obtain one. Absolutely none.

which have been refuted. nothing what so ever is preventing a single person from obtaining an ID.
Repeating nonsense is not a response. None of your assertions a) are accurate, and b ) are responsive. Buying alcohol and purchasing firearms are NOT fundamental rights. Voting is. So, take your strawman somewhere else.

Nothing has been refuted. All you have done - at all - is make a bare assertion. That is not an argument. It's not even the semblance of an argument. Do better, or just give up. You're wasting everyone's time l

Not been proven is not synonymous with been disproven.
It is when one has the burden of proving an assertion. Debate/Logic 101. If one is claiming fraud exists, one has to present evidence to prove it, otherwise it is just a claim, with the same validity as claiming the moon is made of cheese.

Whether by discriminatory Jim Crow voting laws or by racial gerrymandering, Republicans are always working to stifle the votes of people of color.

If they put as much energy into formulating policies that appeal to all voters, they wouldn't need to rig the election process.
A simple solution exists, simply modify the law to require ONLY Caucasian voters present a photo ID to cast a ballot, allowing it to be optional for Blacks and other minority voters.

I don't think people need an ID to vote. I think they need an ID to prove they are eligible to vote.

A vote recount cannot find any illegal votes having been cast as once cast they become undocumented votes.
YAWN- More MAGA myth... :rolleyes:

MAGA morons were trying to claim thousands more votes were cast than people in a district. When that was proven to not be 'massive' and having good explanations, the whine was counted multiple times in the machines. When that was shot down the cry was doctored vote counting machines. I think the MAGAs then wanted to claim thermostats were altering the vote through the vote counter machines... ✌️

So what?

If it's half a day's wages, suck it up and spend it to obtain a copy of a birth certificate.

Sorry, but trying to subsist on minimum age isn't a valid excuse...

A birth certificate is not a piece of photo ID, so still wouldn't allow a person to vote.

What is the cheapest form of photo ID? How easy is it to obtain? How long does it take to obtain?

YAWN- More MAGA myth... :rolleyes:

MAGA morons were trying to claim thousands more votes were cast than people in a district. When that was proven to not be 'massive' and having good explanations, the whine was counted multiple times in the machines. When that was shot down the cry was doctored vote counting machines. I think the MAGAs then wanted to claim thermostats were altering the vote through the vote counter machines... ✌️
I simply stated a fact, more so relative to mailed in ballots than those cast through voting machines.
If you wish to prove me wrong, show the choices made on my mailed ballot.

I don't think people need an ID to vote. I think they need an ID to prove they are eligible to vote.
A universal National ID card would resolve that issue.

A birth certificate is not a piece of photo ID, so still wouldn't allow a person to vote.

What is the cheapest form of photo ID? How easy is it to obtain? How long does it take to obtain?

Still, a birth certificate is probably the most important piece of paper you can own.

Here in Florida, you can get a state issued ID card over the counter. It takes practically no time. The cost is $31, of which $6.25 is a service fee.

Hardly burdensome...

Still, a birth certificate is probably the most important piece of paper you can own.

Here in Florida, you can get a state issued ID card over the counter. It takes practically no time. The cost is $31, of which $6.25 is a service fee.

Hardly burdensome...
The Republicans' innate ability to eschew empathy is unmatched.

Repeating nonsense is not a response.
I agree. You should stop doing it then.

None of your assertions a) are accurate, and b ) are responsive.
Both accurate and responsive. There is nothing what so ever preventing a single eligible person from obtaining an ID.
Buying alcohol and purchasing firearms are NOT fundamental rights.
Uh, one of them is specifically mentioned in the constitution as a fundamental right lol.
Voting is.
No it isn’t. There is no right to vote in the constitution.
So, take your strawman somewhere else.
I see you heard a word and thought you’d repeat it without knowing what it means lol.
Nothing has been refuted. All you have done - at all - is make a bare assertion.
Nope. I’ve repeatedly pointed out that not a single eligible person is barred in any way from obtaining an ID.
That is not an argument. It's not even the semblance of an argument. Do better, or just give up. You're wasting everyone's time l
I don’t need to do better. Your position remains refuted.

A universal National ID card would resolve that issue.
The main reason people do not want to be identified is because they are wanted by the law. Identification of people would make hiding from the law extremely difficult.

The main reason people do not want to be identified is because they are wanted by the law. Identification of people would make hiding from the law extremely difficult.
Then they just don't vote.

The Republicans' innate ability to eschew empathy is unmatched.

Who said anything about Republicans? I'm certainly not one.

A state issued ID card can be obtained in an afternoon for a nominal fee. Insisting otherwise is stupid...

Who said anything about Republicans? I'm certainly not one.

A state issued ID card can be obtained in an afternoon for a nominal fee. Insisting otherwise is stupid...

According to North Carolina website, an ID card takes two weeks, requires you to visit in person (are their offices open out of normal working hours or the weekend?), and require other forms of ID, so extra cost and hassle if you also need to buy a copy of your birth certificate in order to get your ID card.

I simply stated a fact, more so relative to mailed in ballots than those cast through voting machines.
If you wish to prove me wrong, show the choices made on my mailed ballot.
Ahhh the MAGA 'defense'- prove a negative wrong... :cautious:

How about not one of the dozens of Krakens and Krackpots has been able to make any of those turkeys fly. If there was anything to this the tRumper fluffers would be getting more than one day and done in a court of law... :unsure:

This has been done to death... this is just another attempt at voter suppression... ✌️

Then they just don't vote.
I have no problem with that. It is the left that has a problem with voting is a right which needs to be protected. Part of protecting the vote of those who are supposed to vote is stopping people from voting who are not supposed to vote. Every time someone votes who isn't supposed to a citizen has had their vote taken away.

Ahhh the MAGA 'defense'- prove a negative wrong... :cautious:

How about not one of the dozens of Krakens and Krackpots has been able to make any of those turkeys fly. If there was anything to this the tRumper fluffers would be getting more than one day and done in a court of law... :unsure:

This has been done to death... this is just another attempt at voter suppression... ✌️
The fact remains, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom