• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

North Carolina judges block voter ID law, saying it discriminates against Black people

I've been confused about this for a while now. Is it that Democrats have discovered that blacks are systemically prevented from obtaining identification or are they merely convinced that blacks are too stupid to get one?

no there isn't. You need an ID to do about a thousand different things.

I hesitate to put voting in the same category as a thousand different things but there is a valid reason for all those things...unlike voter ID.

Same reason the govn't can force me to provide an ID to buy a firearm, alcohol or any of a thousand other reasons they require ID.

Not the same thing. If IDs are not required for liquor purchases, under age people will purchase it.

This has been proven.

this is just hyperbole

Is it hyperbole?

I'm not a trump supporter, republican, or anti vaxer. I've gotten the vaccine. But comparing the 2 are apples to 747's.
Yeah, I figured you weren't since you don't support the big lie.

Yes. You are correct. My comparison was a stretch but I think there is some small amount of relevant irony tucked in there somewhere.

FWIW, here's the NC Voter Registration Form. You have to provide a name, an address and a DOB. If you've never voted before you also need to provide something to verify your name and address. That "something" can be as little as a pay stub. For those that aren't aware, you can use any number of sites to simply make up a pay stub. Once you're registered you can request a mail in ballot and no ID is required for filing that either.

Now, with that information, how secure do you really think the NC voter system is? How difficult, with these meager controls, would it be for someone to just make up a fake name and fake DOB but use a real address and provide a fake pay stub or, better yet (in case someone thinks of that) use the online pay stub site to re-create a pay stub from a real employer but just use the fake name?

Whether by discriminatory Jim Crow voting laws or by racial gerrymandering, Republicans are always working to stifle the votes of people of color.

If they put as much energy into formulating policies that appeal to all voters, they wouldn't need to rig the election process.
I hope this goes to SCOTUS. If SCOTUS overturns the lower judge's decision that will be the shot heard round the world that our Republic is on the way to failure - meaning I HOPE they sustain the lower judge's ruling.

Piffle.

You need an ID to drive.
An ID to buy cigs or booze.
An ID to open a bank account.

When have THOSE ID requirements ever been branded as "racist" or "Jim Crow"?
When they were first imposed. Don't know shit about history, do you?

Yes there is an excuse.

Why should Americans be forced by the government to get an ID to solve a problem they can't prove exists?

Whats next? Imbedded computer chips to verify we are not aliens from outer space simply because the fed says it so?

It is a bit ironic that many Trump supporters (not meaning you as I dont know your leanings) refuse to let the government force them to get a vaccine to solve a problem that is PROVEN to be effective and yet want the fed to force more IDs down our throats to fix something the government can't prove.
You hit the nail on the head. It has nothing do with policy, but everything to do with politics. The shallowness of thought promoted by some wouldn't drown a flea.

Not the same thing. If IDs are not required for liquor purchases, under age people will purchase it.
The same argument is applied to voter ID. If we don’t ID someone, ineligible persons will vote. Not saying it happens, just pointing out it’s the same argument

Yes, hyperbole.
Yeah, I figured you weren't since you don't support the big lie.

Yes. You are correct. My comparison was a stretch but I think there is some small amount of relevant irony tucked in there somewhere.
The bottom line remains there is no excuse for a person to not have an ID.

Whether by discriminatory Jim Crow voting laws or by racial gerrymandering, Republicans are always working to stifle the votes of people of color.

If they put as much energy into formulating policies that appeal to all voters, they wouldn't need to rig the election process.

They said that requiring an ID "discriminates against black people".

They are saying that black people cannot be expected to be able to do simple things like get an ID. They aren't up to the task. Its too complicated and difficult and expensive for them. Whites and others can do it just fine, the law doesnt "discriminate" against Whites because presumably Whites can easily do things that blacks cannot be expected to be able to do without great difficulty.

man. If I were a self respecting black person.....rulings like this would REALLY tick me off.
Thats just me. I just dont have a victim mentality. Couldn't do it.

The same argument is applied to voter ID. If we don’t ID someone, ineligible persons will vote. Not saying it happens, just pointing out it’s the same argument

Bit they can't prove it happens on any appreciable level.

If they can prove that voter fraud happens at an appreciable level AND that voter ID would have prevented it then I am fine with a slowly mandated voter ID.

Yes, hyperbole.

The bottom line remains there is no excuse for a person to not have an ID.

Tell that to these people.

Nothing gets the right spun up like when the American system they pretend to support doesn't go their way.
Tell us what you think about Heller and Citizens United.

If they can prove that voter fraud happens at an appreciable level AND that voter ID would have prevented it then I am fine with a slowly mandated voter ID.

From that link:

"The governor of Tennessee, who's a Republican, by the way - he has expressed concern about the average wait times there, which extend well beyond an hour. And if you're talking about thousands of elderly, in particular, they can't wait that long."

ER MER GERD!!! The horrors! I might have to invest an hour of my time getting a free ID from my state so I can vote.

Good grief, there is no legit excuse for not having an ID. Go get one. Stop making weak excuses.

Nonsense.

There's no reason in the world that blacks can't get ID's.

None.

I agree but that’s irrelevant.
Nobody has to show it happens. There is simply no justification what so ever they a person does not have an ID. You need one for thousands of different things.

Ok. It’s hyperbole. There is no reason every single one of them can’t obtain one.

I've been confused about this for a while now. Is it that Democrats have discovered that blacks are systemically prevented from obtaining identification or are they merely convinced that blacks are too stupid to get one?
Are you serious? I feel you're just trolling but if you are asking this question, seriously, I'll answer you.

I think democrats believe exactly that...

From that link:

"The governor of Tennessee, who's a Republican, by the way - he has expressed concern about the average wait times there, which extend well beyond an hour. And if you're talking about thousands of elderly, in particular, they can't wait that long."

ER MER GERD!!! The horrors! I might have to invest an hour of my time getting a free ID from my state so I can vote.

Good grief, there is no legit excuse for not having an ID. Go get one. Stop making weak excuses.
A lack of proof of voter fraud seems like a legit excuse to me.

I agree with Hellar for the most part but not with citizens United.

What do you think about them?
Tell me about what you think of Citizens United.

I agree but that’s irrelevant.

Nobody has to show it happens. There is simply no justification what so ever they a person does not have an ID. You need one for thousands of different things.

Ok. It’s hyperbole. There is no reason every single one of them can’t obtain one.
Just because there is no reason they can't get an ID does not mean they should have too.

Just because there is no reason they can't get an ID does not mean they should have too.
Are you then in favor of getting rid of the ID law for alcohol or firearm purchases?

Tell me about what you think of Citizens United.
What do you want to know? Not sure what you are getting at.

If you want my legal assesement you are out of luck.

Sadly I am one of maybe 2 or 3 posters on all of DP who does not have a legal degree so I will put my faith in the experts.

My personal opinion is the influx of money from the powerful through corporations acting as people is not healthy for a constitutional republic.

You must have a point and I suspect I am walking into something but there it is.

Sadly I am one of maybe 2 or 3 posters on all of DP who does not have a legal degree so I will put my faith in the experts.

That's probably the funniest thing I've ever read on the internet!

Consider it stolen!

There are a number of fundamental flaws in the "voter ID" arguments/laws. First, voting, unlike most of these other "voluntary" activities they like to trot out, is central to our governmental structure. Buying a gun, or liquor, or driving a car, or opening a bank account are not central to operating the country. We pick our leaders (at least in theory), so denying the franchise to any legitimate voter is antithetical to that concept, period.

Second, historically (and presently), barriers to voting are not used, or intended to apply, uniformly. Only certain populations are prevented from voting. Originally, non-landed people. But we can make a long list: blacks, women, poor people, illiterates, non-whites - and some of those are the same as current targets of discrimination. Add to previous lists students, renters, and urban-dwellers (who just happen to be more "liberal/democratic" in the main).

Third, ID requirements are not just ineffective, they are deliberately burdensome and expensive. It takes time and money to get a birth certificate - and for some people, it is literally impossible. The average cost of obtaining a birth certificate in the United States is $50.00, and takes 6-8 weeks, and - here's the kicker - often requires proof of identity ID to get it. THEN there is the time required to get the government issued ID itself, which can take hours, may be limited to certain hours and locations, require multiple trips, and need to be updated every time you change address to be "valid".

There's much more, but there are character limitations.

Back
Top Bottom