• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Naive question: Why is there so much passionate dislike of Obama?

I still think that is one of my all time favorite presidential quotes. Oddly, it made me like Bush more, not less. He clearly did not mean to, but it was a human mistake that was funny. Hell, I always liked that Cheney could make Darth Vader jokes.

Yep, its that kind of things that I think made Bush endearing to some people honestly.

I can't stand Obama, but I could definitely sit and listen to the man give a speech about just about anything and appreciate his skill at it and listen to it as almost good entertainment (if the substance of it didn't make me want to cut my ears off). He's just a great speech giver.

I'd take George Bush over Barack Obama every time though when simply speaking off the cuff. He just had a charm, charisma, and blatant honesty about him to me that even though I despised his speech giving ability and disagreed with him on a lot of things I just could smile and enjoy him talking. He said stupid things sometimes, but they're not that different than crap I or friends have said, stopped, and laughed realizing "wow that came out wrong, hahaha".

Yep, its that kind of things that I think made Bush endearing to some people honestly.

I can't stand Obama, but I could definitely sit and listen to the man give a speech about just about anything and appreciate his skill at it and listen to it as almost good entertainment (if the substance of it didn't make me want to cut my ears off). He's just a great speech giver.

I'd take George Bush over Barack Obama every time though when simply speaking off the cuff. He just had a charm, charisma, and blatant honesty about him to me that even though I despised his speech giving ability and disagreed with him on a lot of things I just could smile and enjoy him talking. He said stupid things sometimes, but they're not that different than crap I or friends have said, stopped, and laughed realizing "wow that came out wrong, hahaha".

Barack Obama is a gifted speaker but only with a teleprompter. My question is how someone considered so brilliant and intelligent could screw things up so badly in 18 months? I don't dislike Obama but I do hate his agenda and legislation both of which are bad for this country and the results prove it.

Meh. I would rather have a conversation with Obama, since I think we would have more to talk about(and if it came to policy, I would emphasize what I think he is and has done wrong). I always figured Bush to be good at what he was doing when 9/11 happened, dealing with young children. I bet he is great with them.

Barack Obama is a gifted speaker but only with a teleprompter.

So?

I'd dare say the VAST majority of great speech givers and great speeches of our time used assistance. Previously it was paper or notecards, its advanced now to a teleprompter. Should we criticize all Presidents now who type letters in Word rather than hand write them? That send email correspondence rather than snail mail? Who video conference with someone rather than waiting to meet him face to face? Who use a plane instead of a train to travel on the campaign trail? Who gets some news from a 24/7 news channel rather than reading a paper in the morning? Who puts out an MP3 or youtube video of an address they make rather than simply donig it only over the radio?

Technology improves, I don't think we should penalize people for using it.

Obama is one of the best public speakers when it comes to speechs in probably the past three decades imho.

Obama is a relatively average public speaker when it is off the cuff.

To me that puts him ahead of the likes of Bush who was above average in one and horrible in another or Clinton who was average to above average at best for both, but behind the likes of Reagan or Kennedy who were very good to excellent at both.

Meh. I would rather have a conversation with Obama, since I think we would have more to talk about(and if it came to policy, I would emphasize what I think he is and has done wrong). I always figured Bush to be good at what he was doing when 9/11 happened, dealing with young children. I bet he is great with them.

College gave me about all I could stomach from Obama types honestly as far as having a conversation with. Or more, it'd be interesting to have maybe a dinner with him, but even then it'd be a very formal type thing I think. In a casual setting or a repeated type thing I'd much rather Bush. I don't think he is as slow as others think he is, but I think he is much more approachable, conversationable, and likable than Obama.

Obama would be like sitting down and having a dinner with one of my more stuffy professors. Sure, it may be an intellectually engaging evening...but "fun"? Relaxing? Entertaining? Something I'd look forward to repeatedly somewhat regularly? Not at all. Too many personality traits that he gives me the impression of having that would grate on me amazingly quick.

College gave me about all I could stomach from Obama types honestly as far as having a conversation with. Or more, it'd be interesting to have maybe a dinner with him, but even then it'd be a very formal type thing I think. In a casual setting or a repeated type thing I'd much rather Bush. I don't think he is as slow as others think he is, but I think he is much more approachable, conversationable, and likable than Obama.

Obama would be like sitting down and having a dinner with one of my more stuffy professors. Sure, it may be an intellectually engaging evening...but "fun"? Relaxing? Entertaining? Something I'd look forward to repeatedly somewhat regularly? Not at all. Too many personality traits that he gives me the impression of having that would grate on me amazingly quick.

See, I spent 6 years in the navy. I have done the sitting around with friends and a beer. I dropped out of college after one year, I did not get my fill of stuffy professors.

So?

I'd dare say the VAST majority of great speech givers and great speeches of our time used assistance. Previously it was paper or notecards, its advanced now to a teleprompter. Should we criticize all Presidents now who type letters in Word rather than hand write them? That send email correspondence rather than snail mail? Who video conference with someone rather than waiting to meet him face to face? Who use a plane instead of a train to travel on the campaign trail? Who gets some news from a 24/7 news channel rather than reading a paper in the morning? Who puts out an MP3 or youtube video of an address they make rather than simply donig it only over the radio?

Obama is one of the best public speakers when it comes to speechs in probably the past three decades imho.

To me that puts him ahead of the likes of Bush who was above average in one and horrible in another or Clinton who was average to above average at best for both, but behind the likes of Reagan or Kennedy who were very good to excellent at both.

The point is who is behind the teleprompter or behind the curtain pulling the strings. Obama cannot keep his messages clear without the teleprompter, without it he gets confused. People of principle never get confused and never need someone else to write their words for them.

Are you suggesting that Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, Bob Dole, John McCain, etc all never had speech writers and all wrote every speech they ever stated all themselves and never once misspoke or potentially explained themselves poorly?

Really?

You're verging into conspiracy land, you may want to get out your tinfoil. There is no magical man in the mirror or the hidden wizard behind the screen, take that junk to the forum it belongs in.

Are you suggesting that Reagan, Bush I, Bush II, Bob Dole, John McCain, etc all never had speech writers and all wrote every speech they ever stated all themselves and never once misspoke or potentially explained themselves poorly?

Really?

You're verging into conspiracy land, you may want to get out your tinfoil. There is no magical man in the mirror or the hidden wizard behind the screen, take that junk to the forum it belongs in.

Not at all, all Presidents have speech writers and that never was the point, the point is Obama cannot speak without a teleprompter as I do not believe he has any core principles or values. He tells people what they want to hear with that teleprompter but off the cuff he truly is an empty suit. anyone with true values and principles doesn't need a teleprompter to keep on message.

Not at all, all Presidents have speech writers and that never was the point, the point is Obama cannot speak without a teleprompter as I do not believe he has any core principles or values. He tells people what they want to hear with that teleprompter but off the cuff he truly is an empty suit. anyone with true values and principles doesn't need a teleprompter to keep on message.

So the fact that he engaged in several debates leading up to his election, and did well enough in those...where does that fit into your bizarre view?

And then there was Nixon. Hurt to watch. :(

So?

People strongly dislike Obama's policies and his smug arrogance towards those that disagree with him. I can't see anyone who supported Bush or voted Republican liking him either, considering how he attacks them all the time. If you think this is "passionate" dislike, you should have seen how many treated Bush a few years ago.

People strongly dislike Obama's policies and his smug arrogance towards those that disagree with him. I can't see anyone who supported Bush or voted Republican liking him either, considering how he attacks them all the time. If you think this is "passionate" dislike, you should have seen how many treated Bush a few years ago.

Here are just a few of the recent actions taken by the Obama Administration that had they happened under Bush we never would have heard the end of it. this on top of sueing a state that is trying to protect its citizens

White House proposal would ease FBI access to records of Internet activity
By Ellen Nakashima
Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, July 29, 2010; A01
Obamacare Legislation Mandates 1099’s For Every And All Business Transactions In Excess of $600!!

EXCLUSIVE: DOJ Accused of Stalling on MOVE Act for Voters in Military
By Jana Winter
Published July 28, 2010

Fox Business News reports the SEC will deny Freedom of Information requests under new financial regulation law

This says it all about Obama policies

Obama Takes Illinois Mistakes Nationwide

That's exactly it. He seemed real, as opposed to the mythological figure we currently have. I have no faith in any sort of sincerity or honesty from Obama. It's not that this makes me hate him, I just have no human appreciation for him, because he seems staged and plastic. I am moved by reality and human flaws. Perfection is dull and empty.

I guess I am different. It annoys the crap out of me when people cannot use the correct words or grammar to communicate. I consider being well spoken to be an essential life skill.

The simple truth is that Obama came in with a rush almost storm like in how HE was going to CHANGE America.
Unfortunately the kind of CHANGE HE brought in is not willingly being accepted by average American.

The likely hood is that Obama will leave his office with a whimper.

I feel sorry for him as being POTUS is clearly having a detrimental affect on his health.
When he entered office his hair was black, it is now looking pebble dash.

I guess I am different. It annoys the crap out of me when people cannot use the correct words or grammar to communicate. I consider being well spoken to be an essential life skill.

There is something to be said about the "common sense" portion of intelligence rather than appearing to be well-spoken. After a while, I began to care less about speeches, because for the most part, those are really superficial things to consider.

That's exactly it. He seemed real, as opposed to the mythological figure we currently have. I have no faith in any sort of sincerity or honesty from Obama. It's not that this makes me hate him, I just have no human appreciation for him, because he seems staged and plastic. I am moved by reality and human flaws. Perfection is dull and empty.

A la, John Adams versus Thomas Jefferson. You preferring the former than the latter. But I suppose that example falls short once you place Jefferson in front of a crowd. Never the orator....

Back
Top Bottom