• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Son Zack is Having Major Heart Surgery on Wednesday

I didn't really know where to post this, or even if I should, but I feel I have to put it out there and ask for some prayers/positive vibes. My son Zack , who is 32 years old, is scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement on Wednesday. To complicate matters, he has an aneurysm in his aorta, which will be addressed in the surgery, taking it from a 4 hour procedure to an 8 hour procedure. My wife/his mom is back in Virginia with him to help him through the recovery, while I'm back in Texas with my two step sons, since they're still in college here and couldn't fly out.

If that sounds complicated, my wife and I dated back in the 80's, had Zack, broke up, both had lives and had kids, and got back together in 2013 and married in 2019.

At any rate, as an Army vet, someone who has been in control most of my life, I feel helpless and out of control. So, if anyone has a prayer to share or a positive thought to give, my son could sure use it now.
I cannot pray as an atheist but I am sending masses of positive vibes for him having a successful operation and speedy recovery, and the same goes for you and the rest of your family.

I didn't really know where to post this, or even if I should, but I feel I have to put it out there and ask for some prayers/positive vibes. My son Zack , who is 32 years old, is scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement on Wednesday. To complicate matters, he has an aneurysm in his aorta, which will be addressed in the surgery, taking it from a 4 hour procedure to an 8 hour procedure. My wife/his mom is back in Virginia with him to help him through the recovery, while I'm back in Texas with my two step sons, since they're still in college here and couldn't fly out.

If that sounds complicated, my wife and I dated back in the 80's, had Zack, broke up, both had lives and had kids, and got back together in 2013 and married in 2019.

At any rate, as an Army vet, someone who has been in control most of my life, I feel helpless and out of control. So, if anyone has a prayer to share or a positive thought to give, my son could sure use it now.

God speed

Zack was released from the hospital today and is on his way back home. I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments of support. It really meant a lot to me. Thank you.
Well thanks for sharing. I don't speak for everyone but I know a lot of people were wishing you guys positive vibes and thinking about your family.

Zack was released from the hospital today and is on his way back home. I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments of support. It really meant a lot to me. Thank you.
Wonderful news! Give him a hug for me. :giggle:

Hopefully it all works out and he has no future heart problems. Is this a genetic issue? I ask because I know someone who had a genetic heart problem that he wasn't even aware of. But maybe preventative maintenance could've helped him(and maybe your family as well, if it's a genetic thing).

My friend's name was Scott, and he was 10 years older than me. He was 44 years old in 2002, and he was a bus driver. I'd ride with him a few times a week for a trip around his short bus route, usually in early AM. His route ran just 1 block from my apartment in Wilmington De at the time.

Anyway, his father died of heart related issues in 2000 or 2001. It never occured to me(or him apparently) that it could be genetic. So, one day in early 2002, I was waiting for his bus to show up, but when it came, there was another driver on his route. He never took days off, so I decided to call his house and jokingly give him a hard time for being a 'slacker'...

I called his home, and his wife answered. She was obviously distraught over something, so i asked what was wrong. She informed me that my friend had died in his sleep the night before, of a heart attack, just like his father had died 1-2 years earlier. Again, I don't think he ever even considered the possibility that heart issues were a genetic problem in his family.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm guessing that maybe if he had been aware of the genetic aspects, he probably could've taken protective maintenance related measures to help stave off heart problems, and maybe he'd still be alive today. I'd look into that possibly.

God bless the both of you and your whole family.

Hopefully it all works out and he has no future heart problems. Is this a genetic issue? I ask because I know someone who had a genetic heart problem that he wasn't even aware of. But maybe preventative maintenance could've helped him(and maybe your family as well, if it's a genetic thing).

My friend's name was Scott, and he was 10 years older than me. He was 44 years old in 2002, and he was a bus driver. I'd ride with him a few times a week for a trip around his short bus route, usually in early AM. His route ran just 1 block from my apartment in Wilmington De at the time.

Anyway, his father died of heart related issues in 2000 or 2001. It never occured to me(or him apparently) that it could be genetic. So, one day in early 2002, I was waiting for his bus to show up, but when it came, there was another driver on his route. He never took days off, so I decided to call his house and jokingly give him a hard time for being a 'slacker'...

I called his home, and his wife answered. She was obviously distraught over something, so i asked what was wrong. She informed me that my friend had died in his sleep the night before, of a heart attack, just like his father had died 1-2 years earlier. Again, I don't think he ever even considered the possibility that heart issues were a genetic problem in his family.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I'm guessing that maybe if he had been aware of the genetic aspects, he probably could've taken protective maintenance related measures to help stave off heart problems, and maybe he'd still be alive today. I'd look into that possibly.
It's not genetic. He was diagnosed with it at age 12 and we knew this was coming since.

It was and it was very frustrating for him, being unable to play some sports.
That's really a sad, and unavoidable part, but hopefully he able to participate in some sports, and for him, hopefully enough sports.
Sports for a teenager body is pretty important.

But thank goodness he's on the mend, and will hopefully have a full recovery. It does sound like he's on a good track for that, and I wish it to continue for him, you, and your family.

Just wondering how your sons recovery is going?
Getting better. He did pretty good today, moving around better, but still a lot of pain, since they cracked his ribs open. He's been off the opiods for a while. Those things scare the hell out of him.

Back
Top Bottom