• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

My Son Zack is Having Major Heart Surgery on Wednesday

I didn't really know where to post this, or even if I should, but I feel I have to put it out there and ask for some prayers/positive vibes. My son Zack , who is 32 years old, is scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement on Wednesday. To complicate matters, he has an aneurysm in his aorta, which will be addressed in the surgery, taking it from a 4 hour procedure to an 8 hour procedure. My wife/his mom is back in Virginia with him to help him through the recovery, while I'm back in Texas with my two step sons, since they're still in college here and couldn't fly out.

If that sounds complicated, my wife and I dated back in the 80's, had Zack, broke up, both had lives and had kids, and got back together in 2013 and married in 2019.

At any rate, as an Army vet, someone who has been in control most of my life, I feel helpless and out of control. So, if anyone has a prayer to share or a positive thought to give, my son could sure use it now.

I can only imagine the anxiety you and your family are feeling but my thoughts are with you for a quick recovery. I bet it really sucks too not being able to be there in person but everyone can see how you are "there" for him. Positive vibes being sent your way.

I wish your family the best and will send good thoughts. I used to work on ultrasound machines and the technology is a strong diagnostic tool, giving surgeons really good outcomes for these surgeries.

Last edited:
I didn't really know where to post this, or even if I should, but I feel I have to put it out there and ask for some prayers/positive vibes. My son Zack , who is 32 years old, is scheduled to have an aortic valve replacement on Wednesday. To complicate matters, he has an aneurysm in his aorta, which will be addressed in the surgery, taking it from a 4 hour procedure to an 8 hour procedure. My wife/his mom is back in Virginia with him to help him through the recovery, while I'm back in Texas with my two step sons, since they're still in college here and couldn't fly out.

If that sounds complicated, my wife and I dated back in the 80's, had Zack, broke up, both had lives and had kids, and got back together in 2013 and married in 2019.

At any rate, as an Army vet, someone who has been in control most of my life, I feel helpless and out of control. So, if anyone has a prayer to share or a positive thought to give, my son could sure use it now.
It's a very difficult time to go through. My husband had a triple bypass 16 years ago. With a very skilled surgeon, he came through the surgery just fine. He was unconscious for at leat 24 hours after the surgery and I lost count in the number of tubes he was hooked up to, but he survived and works outside in the gardens daily in good weather.

So, please, let this be reassuring to you. Your son's doctors, I am sure, are very skilled or they wouldn't be heart surgeons. He will come through this. Modern medicine is amazing. Sending thoughts and good wishes your way.

Positive thought: It's not all bad, living in the 21st century...When they can do something for your son.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who's posted in this thread, it means a lot to me and has been very helpful. Today kinda sucked and you all made it better for me. I really appreciate that.

Secondly, he has to be at the hospital at 0500, for they're all waking up at 0230 to leave the house at 0330 (DC metro traffic is a bitch.) I remember waking up at 0230 for field training exercises, ranges, piss tests, deployments and a couple of surgeries of my own. I don't think anyone wakes up that early for anything good.

I just saw this, @armycowboy, and hoping that you, your wife, Zack and your sons are coping with the anxiety and worry. I am sending Zack positive thoughts and hoping for a good outcome and a complete recovery.
Take care of yourself.

I have had four heart operations and three spine operations. Someone asked me if it was scary, and my honest answer was "you go to sleep, you wake up, its over".

Be of stout heart.

Just got this message from my wife:

The surgeon just came out he did really good ! He was able to do the valve Zack wanted and replaced the aortahe is in the first phase of recovery and is on no medication for regulating the heart or blood pressure which the surgeon said was amazing. He will be kept on the ventilator and asleep for 4 to 6 more hours to make sure there’s no bleeding and all things are regulating properly.

The surgeon just came out he did really good ! He was able to do the valve Zack wanted and replaced the aortahe is in the first phase of recovery and is on no medication for regulating the heart or blood pressure which the surgeon said was amazing. He will be kept on the ventilator and asleep for 4 to 6 more hours to make sure there’s no bleeding and all things are regulating properly.
Steady at it friend! What a Blast of Good News! Keep Believing.

Sounds like good news.... Damn happy to hear that...

What wonderful news! 🤗 You must be so relieved. Please keep us updated on his progress.

That's simply WONDERFUL news! Awesome!

You're the parent of a heart kid, we are parents of a heart kid.
Yours is thirty-two, ours is twenty-six. We kind of expected he'd be in trouble by his thirties but his heart began to give out ahead of schedule.
What I'm getting at is, I know how you feel and I share your worries. Ours already had three open heart surgeries before his fifth birthday.

Any prayers you need, we got 'em for you and your son. 🙏🙏🙏

Sending good wishes to you and your family.

You're the parent of a heart kid, we are parents of a heart kid.
Yours is thirty-two, ours is twenty-six. We kind of expected he'd be in trouble by his thirties but his heart began to give out ahead of schedule.
What I'm getting at is, I know how you feel and I share your worries. Ours already had three open heart surgeries before his fifth birthday.

Any prayers you need, we got 'em for you and your son. 🙏🙏🙏
Thank you, and it goes both ways.

Have we any update? I put your son on a prayer list.

Have we any update? I put your son on a prayer list.
Thank you. You missed this post.

AC,

I'm just not good with this shit, and no where near as eloquent as some of our fellow posters.

Just know I've positive thoughts for you and yours.

WW

I think you probably speak for many.

We all want things to turn out well in situations like this.

Back
Top Bottom