• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MSNBC's Chris Matthews doesn't get war re-enactments...

His group recreates the 5th SS Panzer, a unit that was indeed a part of Jewish exterminations in both Hungry and the Ukraine. You might also note this is the unit that famed war criminal Dr. Joseph "Angel of Death" Mengele served in.

I have seen historical recreations, there is no0thing on earth that would get me to don an SS uniform. No excuse is good enough. If they wished to do this, why choose an SS unit? There are many more Wehrmacht units to choose from..

As I stated earlier, the SS had involvement in many of the major conflicts of the Second World War. Explain to me how you reenact something as well known as the Ardennes-Alsace offensive, more commonly called the Battle of the Bulge, without SS units.

To broaden the question, does this mean that anyone who wore an SS uniform in a major Hollywood production is a Nazi sympathizer?

Just because YOU wouldn't do something, doesn't make it wrong for anyone else to do it. Your morality does not apply to anyone but yourself.

Your morality does not apply to anyone but yourself.
Morality (from the Latin moralities "manner, character, proper behavior") is a sense of behavioral conduct that differentiates intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good (or right) and bad (or wrong).

When choosing a public servant, my morality most certainly does apply.

When choosing a public servant, my morality most certainly does apply.

Then don't vote for him. Simple as that. Making baseless accusations against someone you don't agree with is uncalled for.

As I stated earlier, the SS had involvement in many of the major conflicts of the Second World War. Explain to me how you reenact something as well known as the Ardennes-Alsace offensive, more commonly called the Battle of the Bulge, without SS units.

To broaden the question, does this mean that anyone who wore an SS uniform in a major Hollywood production is a Nazi sympathizer?

Just because YOU wouldn't do something, doesn't make it wrong for anyone else to do it. Your morality does not apply to anyone but yourself.

The name of the group, as noted in the article, awas the SS group name. They weren't taking a moment in history and reenacting that moment, whihc would require someone play that role. No. They were doing the group, and picking moments involving the group to reenact. This is a very different situation.

The name of the group, as noted in the article, awas the SS group name. They weren't taking a moment in history and reenacting that moment, whihc would require someone play that role. No. They were doing the group, and picking moments involving the group to reenact. This is a very different situation.

Actually it's not. Please read what I posted earlier. It's VERY common for reenactors to pick a specific unit or historical figure and participate in battle recreations as that unit. Reenactors go to great lengths for accuracy, down to the unit patches worn on uniforms and the standards carried into battle. It becomes increasingly expensive and time consuming to assemble multiple sets of uniforms, so it's not often that people do that. I'd advise anyone pointing the finger at this guy do to a little research on war recreation, before jumping to conclusions.

Then don't vote for him. Simple as that. Making baseless accusations against someone you don't agree with is uncalled for.

Which "baseless accusation" have I made, and against whom? Direct quote, please.

Actually it's not. Please read what I posted earlier. It's VERY common for reenactors to pick a specific unit or historical figure and participate in battle recreations as that unit. Reenactors go to great lengths for accuracy, down to the unit patches worn on uniforms and the standards carried into battle. It becomes increasingly expensive and time consuming to assemble multiple sets of uniforms, so it's not often that people do that. I'd advise anyone pointing the finger at this guy do to a little research on war recreation, before jumping to conclusions.

Well, I don't claim to know much about reenactors, but I can see a WWII group, with a WWII website, making the claim they need to have all sides covered. I don't see having an SS website separate from any WWII group. But, I will investigate it a bit.

Well, I don't claim to know much about reenactors, but I can see a WWII group, with a WWII website, making the claim they need to have all sides covered. I don't see having an SS website separate from any WWII group. But, I will investigate it a bit.

Start here. reenactor.Net, the online home of reenacting and Living History! It's actually a pretty interesting hobby. I've had some exposure to it, though I don't participate myself. :)

Just to be clear again, I'm not saying I know and support all the guy's views about everything under the sun. What I am saying is that the media picked up a mundane event and made it a sensationalist story without a whole lot of merit and used it to sell headlines. "OMG!! NAZI!!!" hysterics are an overblown reaction from people that haven't a clue what they're talking about based on the evidence provided. Essentially, I'm not attempting to defend Iott, I could care less about the man. I'm defending war reenactment as a whole. :2razz:

Start here. reenactor.Net, the online home of reenacting and Living History! It's actually a pretty interesting hobby. I've had some exposure to it, though I don't participate myself. :)

Just to be clear again, I'm not saying I know and support all the guy's views about everything under the sun. What I am saying is that the media picked up a mundane event and made it a sensationalist story without a whole lot of merit and used it to sell headlines. "OMG!! NAZI!!!" hysterics are an overblown reaction from people that haven't a clue what they're talking about based on the evidence provided. Essentially, I'm not attempting to defend Iott, I could care less about the man. I'm defending war reenactment as a whole. :2razz:

Thanks. I will look at it.

However, if you're saying the media hypes things. Well, duh, that's what they do. The more hype, the more they sell. it's business, sadly.

Thanks. I will look at it.

However, if you're saying the media hypes things. Well, duh, that's what they do. The more hype, the more they sell. it's business, sadly.

Well... yes. All I am attempting to do is take a little of the hot air out of this balloon and leave people a little more informed.

Well... yes. All I am attempting to do is take a little of the hot air out of this balloon and leave people a little more informed.

No complaint from me. On this we may well agree.

No complaint from me. On this we may well agree.

Btw...

ostia_parade1.jpg

OMG!! These people are dressed as ROMANS, responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of people!!! :2razz:

I'd rather have seen him doing a WWII dogfight reenactment :twocents:

That is so disturbing.

bamacrisgif.gif

always got a tingle up his leg​

You spent time putting this on a photobucket account and then posting it onto an internet forum.

You should probably think about the ramifications of that.

You spent time putting this on a photobucket account and then posting it onto an internet forum.

You should probably think about the ramifications of that.

i have. and its NOT photobucket. ramifications??? have a talk with matthews !!!!

This is real mature..:-( I can't believe the people who are making a big deal of this.I saw an Al Franken documentary one night. He was dressed as Saddam Hussein and was entertaining our troops. He was just playing a part just like Iott was.

Spray-painted swastikas have defaced campaign signs of an Ohio congressional candidate who dressed in a Nazi uniform during World War II re-enactments. ...
Swastikas sprayed on signs of Ohio candidate who dressed as Nazi | The Columbus Dispatch - Topix
Its not really a valid comparison because Al Franken was mocking Saddam, whereas Iott was romanticizing and trying to relive the SS Wassen. The victims of the SS Wassen and their descendent's are right to be offended.

Some of you seem to think dressing up as and re-enacting the SS Wassen is a non issue which suggests you have no regard for the atrocities they committed on millions of people and whose descendent's are deeply offended and appalled that anyone would romanticize or even want to relive or re-enact what those monsters did. Yet many of you are the same people who were so outraged over a mosque that had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 or the families of the victims. So tell me, how do you reconcile such hypocrisy?

Last edited:
Matthews on Nazi Re-enactment: Is This Some ‘Homoerotic Thing?’ | The Blaze

Chris Matthews is trying to figure out why an Ohio GOP candidate would dress up as a Nazi officer for a WWII re-enactment. Unable to make sense of it, he throws out a reason: “homoerotic.”

What planet does he live on? Homo-erotic? Matthews is turned on by Nazi uniforms? Gay people dress up as Nazis? What is he saying?

I wonder if Chris Matthews got a thrill up his leg when he saw him in a nazi uniform. :lamo

I think the guy is gay.

Back
Top Bottom