• Please keep all posts on the Rittenhouse verdict here: Rittenhouse Verdict. Note the moderator warnings in the thread. The thread will be heavily moderated with a zero tolerance policy for any baiting, flaming, trolling or other rule breaks. Stick to the topic and not the other posters. Thank you.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Montel Williams Wants Mexico To Be Our 51st State

Should Mexico Be Our 51st State?

• Total voters

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Should Mexico Be Our 51st State and Please Explain Why?

Thank You;)

YouTube - Montel Williams: Make Mexico the 51st State!

I've been saying this for the past few years. Everything Montel Williams says in that video is right. Mexico is having such a difficult time organizing and mobilizing it's labor base, which is why it's biggest industry is the drug trade. But it won't matter what drug laws gets passed in Mexico, since the Mexican cartels are suppliers to the U.S. for illegal drugs. So as long as drugs in the U.S. are illegal, Mexico cartels are going to supply it. And even if the U.S. made drugs legal, corruption in Mexico is so rampant that it will never change except by an outside force. What happens is that the government trains and supplies police with weapons, who then steal those weapons and work for the cartels for better pay. So only an outside force can stabilize that country and bring better security to the people who live there.

So I totally agree with everything Montel says.

Korimyr the Rat

Baby Eating Monster
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Mexicans are not Americans. Not only will they not allow themselves to be annexed peacefully-- does Mr. Williams, whom I respect, advocate seizing their country by force?-- but they are not culturally prepared to function as American citizens. This is a major part of the problem with illegal immigration in the first place; Mexicans are not Americans and do not respect the American government or American law. They are their own nation with their own government and their own laws, and unless we are prepared to engage in naked imperialism and wage a war of aggression against a sovereign state for the purpose of annexing its territory, they will never be Americans.

I agree with his point regarding the legalization of cannabis. The only effective way to combat the drug cartels, short of overwhelming military force, is to cut them off at the knees financially.

Last edited:

Wiseone

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm always a fan of expanding America's borders, Ive read a lot of that great adventures entrepreneurial expansive spirit of the days of Manifest Destiny and it seems like a good attitude. Now of course the situation is different today and annexing Mexico over-night would be disastrous for both Mexico and the US. But if Mexico is willing, and I mean the vast majority of people not just the gov't or a simple majority, then we could start an extended process to bring them into the Union. How that would go I have no idea but thats the adventure I'm talking about!

bicycleman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Has someone broken the news to Puerto Rico? I heard someone wanted PR to be the 51st state. That's great though. Which ever order each one becomes they will be the 51st and 52nd welfare states.

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
i'm just curious as to how it would be gone about making mexico as the 51st state, you'd be lucky if it didn't severely impact the american economy.

Arch Enemy

Familiaist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I would be weary to give the drug cartels the mobility that comes with Mexico being annexed to the United States, as the 51st state. I wouldn't be against Mexico becoming a U.S. territory.

Civil1z@tion

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Well first off, making Mexico a single US state would be all kinds of stupid. Mexico's population is almost four times that of the most populated US state. Mexico has 31 states and if we kept that (which would seem reasonable) we'd be adding states 51 through 82 not just one state. Second, Mexico would obviously have to agree and I don't see that happening. Third, why the hell would we want Mexico? They're a good trading partner but with a per capita GDP 1/4th the amount of the US's per capita, a huge portion of their country would automatically be added to the welfare rolls.

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Shucks why not go the whole hog and include Canada into the US of A, at least they have the advantage of being able to speak and understand English (even if some of them speak French), Think what this vast influx of folk would do to Obama care.

The most sensible suggestion I have read thus far in this thread is that of legalizing drugs.

Now that would be a shaker, but I doubt it will ever happen in the US as some of those who make US law profit handsomely from this illicit activity.

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Shucks why not go the whole hog and include Canada into the US of A

Well instead of annexing Mexico and possibly Canada, there's always joining them in a supranational North American Union.

VanceMack

MSG Benavides TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
i'm just curious as to how it would be gone about making mexico as the 51st state, you'd be lucky if it didn't severely impact the american economy.

Its already severely impacting our economy. Its not practical but id be all for it...not just our 51st but break it into smaller pieces and make it 51 through 60.

The Mark

Sporadic insanity normal.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Methinks making it one state would result in a really big state - perhaps several states?

That said, if actually done it would be a decades-long process, what with the bureaucracy we have these days.

peepnklown

Frankernaut
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
It’s like we do not have enough to worry about in America.
Let’s fix our backyards before looking into our neighbors backyards.

Korimyr the Rat

Baby Eating Monster
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Shucks why not go the whole hog and include Canada into the US of A, at least they have the advantage of being able to speak and understand English (even if some of them speak French), Think what this vast influx of folk would do to Obama care.

I'm fully in favor of a political reunification with Canada. There are fewer cultural differences between the United States and Canada-- separated for over 200 years-- than there are between the Koreas who've been separated for fifty.

Tucker Case

Matthew 16:3
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Is say we just give them back Texas instead.

We've got less in common culturally with Texas than we do with Canada. :2razz:

Last edited:

lizzie

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Is say we just give them back Texas instead.

We've got less in common culturally with Texas than we do with Canada. :2razz:

If you give them back Texas, it will become the country of Texas and Mexico will become incorporated. I assure that Texans will refuse to be ruled by a worse kleptocracy than we already have .

Last edited:

Tucker Case

Matthew 16:3
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
If you give them back Texas, it will become the country of Texas and Mexico will become incorporated. I assure that Texans will refuse to be ruled by a worse kleptocracy than we already have .

Meh, they'll just try to change the Mexican History books or something.

apdst

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I've been saying this for the past few years. Everything Montel Williams says in that video is right. Mexico is having such a difficult time organizing and mobilizing it's labor base, which is why it's biggest industry is the drug trade. But it won't matter what drug laws gets passed in Mexico, since the Mexican cartels are suppliers to the U.S. for illegal drugs. So as long as drugs in the U.S. are illegal, Mexico cartels are going to supply it. And even if the U.S. made drugs legal, corruption in Mexico is so rampant that it will never change except by an outside force. What happens is that the government trains and supplies police with weapons, who then steal those weapons and work for the cartels for better pay. So only an outside force can stabilize that country and bring better security to the people who live there.

So I totally agree with everything Montel says.

Make Mexico our 51st state would accomplish, what? Exactly. Create an even larger welfare class than we alreayd have? Create an even larger minority community, so as to insure Democrat victory, forever? For me, a citizen, what do I get out of the deal?

VanceMack

MSG Benavides TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
It’s like we do not have enough to worry about in America.
Let’s fix our backyards before looking into our neighbors backyards.

In case you missed it...your neighbors are hosting a kegger barbeque on your back porch...

VanceMack

MSG Benavides TAB
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Make Mexico our 51st state would accomplish, what? Exactly. Create an even larger welfare class than we alreayd have? Create an even larger minority community, so as to insure Democrat victory, forever? For me, a citizen, what do I get out of the deal?

For one thing your southern border just got a lot easier to protect. For another those billions that are being siphoned off by illegal workers would go back into your economy. We wouldnt have to spend 80+ billion a year in grants, fighting illegal immigration...trials, plane tickets, etc. Those that are already HERE would become US citizens and then be taxed and payed a legal wage, paying for their social services they are currently getting...etc...

Black Dog

King Of The Dog Pound
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Not exactly for or against. I do lean more against it though. I just don't think they would assimilate well.

Top Bottom