• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Modern America

you're more likely to find those concerned individuals outside of big cities...

...it's one of the reasons I detest big cities.

I lived on the streets of Boston from 1970-1973. Actually on the streets fending for my self from the ages of 11-13. I have seen ugly.

It's Philadelphia. What do you expect from a liberal bastion? They're probably Hillary supporters.

Yeah, so predictable, right?

jee-zus

And what state has the highest homicide rate by far? Louisiana. Followed closely by other red states.

"blue cities" account for the vast majority of murders in "red states"...and blue states, for that matter

additionally "red cities" are far more safe than "blue cities".

but i don't think red and blue have much to do with it at hte end of hte day..... i've seen no real correlation between presidential voting records and violent crime that would be compelling enough for me to change my tune on the matter.

I lived on the streets of Boston from 1970-1973. Actually on the streets fending for my self from the ages of 11-13. I have seen ugly.

well, I came up as a kid in Vegas ( it was a small town then)... it was nice and safe. ( as long as you didn't cross the mob, that is)

then I moved to LA, and everything changed.... **** got real.

I'll visit big cities from time to time ( only;y to attend to business or a concert) but I won't live in one ... no chance in hell of that happening.

Young healthy men standing by watching a woman being beaten for 20 minutes.

Had plenty of energy to take cell phone videos, but not to intervene.

Video shows woman beaten on city street while crowd watches | WTXF

Some people aren't worth calling "people"; also recently in the news, teenager records her friend being sexually assaulted on her phone, uploads to internet.

Y'know...instead of calling the POLICE (or shooting the perp)

Then again, there's a common psychological phenomenon: people assume (perhaps out of anxiety) that somebody else will call the cops. There was a murder in NYC, and the name Kitty or possibly even Kitty Duke comes to mind. But in this case, a woman was stabbed 30+ times in the middle of a courtyard with apartment buildings on all sides, over the course of many minutes, until she died. Nobody called the cops. Everyone thought someone else would/did......and/or didn't want to be the ones to get involved.

Last edited:
... easiest question i've seen all day......clear leather, then deescalate the situation through the threat of superior force....employ superior force if deemed necessary.... blablabla.

Young healthy men standing by watching a woman being beaten for 20 minutes.

Had plenty of energy to take cell phone videos, but not to intervene.

Video shows woman beaten on city street while crowd watches | WTXF

All it takes is one guy who has had some boxing experience to see this and jump in and totally destroy this perp.

If he had been punching this woman for 10 or 20 minutes he has to be winded. Three minutes of a round of boxing and you are gassed. This would be the ultimate dream for some guy to step in fresh and take on someone who has already spent a large amount of energy. And forget fairness, just take him on from behind and lay a hammer fist on the back side of his neck.

"blue cities" account for the vast majority of murders in "red states"...and blue states, for that matter

additionally "red cities" are far more safe than "blue cities".

but i don't think red and blue have much to do with it at hte end of hte day..... i've seen no real correlation between presidential voting records and violent crime that would be compelling enough for me to change my tune on the matter.

Look at your bolded section above. If it were true that murders outside the inner cities were more common in blue states than in red states, then the states with the highest homicide rate would almost all be blue. However, the states with the highest homicide rates are almost all RED.

So riddle me that! Why is it that if it's all those blue cities that are skewing the numbers of red states SO badly, WHY, then, don't blue states have generally higher homicide rates than red states?

In fact, if you'll check, the homicide rate for New York City - one of the three biggest cities in America (and very, very blue) is just a little over HALF that of the state of Louisiana...which sorta tears apart your assumption that our cities are such hotbeds of violence. Some certainly are (Chicago, Baltimore, etc)...but most aren't.

Seems to me you got some 'splainin' to do....

Some people aren't worth calling "people"; also recently in the news, teenager records her friend being sexually assaulted on her phone, uploads to internet.

Then again, there's a common psychological phenomenon: people assume (perhaps out of anxiety) that somebody else will call the cops. There was a murder in NYC, and the name Kitty or possibly even Kitty Duke comes to mind. But in this case, a woman was stabbed 30+ times in the middle of a courtyard with apartment buildings on all sides, over the course of many minutes, until she died. Nobody called the cops. Everyone thought someone else would/did......and/or didn't want to be the ones to get involved.

The name is Catherine "Kitty" Genovese, and it's a myth. While it's true that she was attacked and killed and some people did hear her, it was only a few people who heard her (not the 30+ people the media initially reported) and none of them thought she was being attacked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

The name is Catherine "Kitty" Genovese, and it's a myth. While it's true that she was attacked and killed and some people did hear her, it was only a few people who heard her (not the 30+ people the media initially reported) and none of them thought she was being attacked

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

And yet, your wiki includes this further wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

The mere beginning of the first section starts "The bystander effect was first demonstrated in the laboratory by John Darley and Bibb Latané in 1968 after they became interested in the topic following the murder of Kitty Genovese in 1964.[1] These researchers launched a series of experiments that resulted in one of the strongest and most replicable effects in social psychology.In a typical experiment, the participant is either alone or among a group of other participants or confederates. An emergency situation is staged and researchers measure how long it takes the participants to intervene, if they intervene. These experiments have found that the presence of others inhibits helping, often by a large margin.[2] For example, Bibb Latané and Judith Rodin (1969) staged an experiment around a woman in distress. 70 percent of the people alone called out or went to help the woman after they believed she had fallen and was hurt, but when there were other people in the room only 40 percent offered help."

My point stands regardless of whether the NYT initially exagerrated the article and corrected this only on April 4, 2016, in an obituary for the murderer in the "NY/region" section....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/n...er-of-kitty-genovese-dies-in-prison.html?_r=0

And yet, your wiki includes this further wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

The mere beginning of the first section starts "The bystander effect was first demonstrated in the laboratory by John Darley and Bibb Latané in 1968 after they became interested in the topic following the murder of Kitty Genovese in 1964.[1] These researchers launched a series of experiments that resulted in one of the strongest and most replicable effects in social psychology.In a typical experiment, the participant is either alone or among a group of other participants or confederates. An emergency situation is staged and researchers measure how long it takes the participants to intervene, if they intervene. These experiments have found that the presence of others inhibits helping, often by a large margin.[2] For example, Bibb Latané and Judith Rodin (1969) staged an experiment around a woman in distress. 70 percent of the people alone called out or went to help the woman after they believed she had fallen and was hurt, but when there were other people in the room only 40 percent offered help."

My point stands regardless of whether the NYT initially exagerrated the article and corrected this only on April 4, 2016, in an obituary for the murderer in the "NY/region" section....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/n...er-of-kitty-genovese-dies-in-prison.html?_r=0

Yes, the "bystander effect" is real.

Back
Top Bottom