• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MMR vaccine

Yikes. I'm glad she's okay, Bodhi. How scary!

Thank you, she is perfectly fine now... here she is now, the one in the green!

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_4668-1.jpg

I disagree with this. We received documentation regarding the side-effects of the vaccine, which included severe side-effects. The severe ones are rare.

I do not believe there is a relationship between the MMR vaccine and autism. That is my personal opinion based upon the evidence I read.

It is too early to tell, but she did have these side effects:

Mild Problems

Fever (up to 1 person out of 6)

Mild rash (about 1 person out of 20)

Swelling of glands in the cheeks or neck (rare) If these problems occur, it is usually within 7-12 days after the shot. They occur less often after the second dose.

Possible Side Effects of the MMR Vaccine

MMR Vaccine Side Effects
Some children (about 1 in 5) get a mild rash or fever after MMR vaccine.
These reactions begin a week or two after the vaccination and
usually last for 1–3 days
. About 1 child in 7 may get swollen lymph
glands
, and 1 child in 100 may have pain or stiffness in the joints that
can last from a few days to a few weeks. There is a smaller risk of
painful swelling of the joints (arthritis). These joint symptoms
occur more often in adults, especially women.
Febrile seizures (seizures caused by a fever) have occasionally
been reported after MMR vaccination. These usually happen 1 or 2
weeks after the shot
and are caused by the fever than can accompany
the vaccination rather than by the vaccine itself. Children
recover from febrile seizures quickly and they do not cause permanent
harm.
There have been reports of children getting encephalitis (inflammation
of the brain) after an MMR shot. This happens so rarely — less
than once in a million shots — that experts can’t be sure whether the
vaccine is the cause or not. Remember, though, that if the same million
children were infected with measles, about 1,000 of them would
get encephalitis.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/downloads/pg_side-effects_mmr.pdf

Vaccinations and Autism: Educate Yourself
Research and studies have yet to produce concrete evidence that there is indeed a link between autism and vaccinations, but they are unable to completely rule out the possibility. Some use the fact that they have been unable to link the two without a question as basis to argue that there is no link.

However, researchers have been working diligently for decades to solve the mystery of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome to no success. Because their research has yet to give a specific cause to SIDS, doesn't mean SIDS does not exist.

The best decision you can make for your child is to educate yourself on the possible health risks related to vaccinations, whether it is autism or SIDS. If you do chose to vaccinate your child, ask your pediatrician who manufactures the vaccination and what is used as a preservative. Do not make the mistake that so many parents do by blindly following the policies and beliefs of your pediatrician. To pediatricians, a child is a patient. To you, it is your son or your daughter.

Vaccinations and Autism

I would not have my child around such selfish people. Sorry. My son's life changed right after the MMR, and when it came down to booster shots we had a lot of soul searching to do. Without a doubt, it was better to immunize against devastating illness & live with possible long term reactions than to leave him open for a horrible disease (and leave others vulnerable).

In the end, we decided to space out all vaccinations so he wasn't hit with a barage into his bloodstream all at once. He will only get shots w/out thermerisol. After that, I saw significant changes after the 5 year boosters. IMO the MMR was coincidental. However, if careful observations mean anything, I definitely saw distinct, negative changes after shots. We just had to manage him as best as we could.

EgoTff as usual, jumps to arrogant conclusions. :roll: Each time a child is given a vaccination, the parents are handed warnings from the CDC/AMA. Though often remote, there is always a chance of negative side effects when introducting ANYTHING into one's bloodstream.

If you ever have a child with a disorder that changes her/his life and no one in the medical community can give you an explanation for how it happened to your otherwise healthy child, you WILL look for answers. That's not ignorant. That's a damn good parent & avocate. However, people have to weigh all the consequences. Besides, it's not always the autism crowds with the anti-vaccination thing. Yuppy moms think it's cool to be edgy like this. Now those moms are the chicks you wanna slap upside the head.

(forgive spelling, just waking up here)

Who are the selfish people? And no, each time a parent gets their kid immunized, they are NOT handed that info.

The mercury in the vaccine is so small that it is entirely harmless.

If a kid only got one shot, you'd maybe have a point. Infants and toddlers are given 12 shots a year at first and then it starts to taper off.

Who are the selfish people? And no, each time a parent gets their kid immunized, they are NOT handed that info.

Selfish people are the ones who decide not to immunize thier children because it's cool to be a rebel or because everyone else will do it. Parents who have medical concerns are a different matter entirely. As I said, I struggled with the decision.

The form you linked above is the information your pediatrician is suppose to hand out when your child is immunized. If you did not receive that information, there's an issue in your ped's office.

I think you and I are on pretty similar pages with this.

BTW (I can't remember who said mumps are rare in the US), but I had them, and I was immunized. Actually, I had one mump. Weird, I know but it can happen.

Selfish people are the ones who decide not to immunize thier children because it's cool to be a rebel or because everyone else will do it. Parents who have medical concerns are a different matter entirely. As I said, I struggled with the decision.

The form you linked above is the information your pediatrician is suppose to hand out when your child is immunized. If you did not receive that information, there's an issue in your ped's office.

I think you and I are on pretty similar pages with this.

BTW (I can't remember who said mumps are rare in the US), but I had them, and I was immunized. Actually, I had one mump. Weird, I know but it can happen.

Sounds like we are... medical concerns are the only reason that we decided against them. Also, my family seems to have a lot of issues that might related to vaccines, though it is not conclusive. I had ADD, which some link to vaccines, though I am not sure. My daughter had her reaction. My brothers two kids both started developing issues, one with autism AFTER vaccinations. I wonder if some families are predisposed to issues?

I have a question I am curious how other parents feel.

My son has had his MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine. I just found out that several mommies in a mommies group I am in have NOT had their children undergo the MMR. Children undergo 2 MMR vaccines; one at approximately 1 year old and the other usually before they start kindergarten. The first shot protects the child 95 to 98%. The second shot will bring it up to 99% protection.

I live in Virginia, close to the Maryland and DC borders. We have had an outbreak of measles in Maryland. Four measles cases diagnosed in Maryland -- baltimoresun.com

My pediatrician's office said that I need to decide for myself whether to keep Weston away from non-immunized children. My older sister is a nurse. She said she wanted me to NOT expose Weston to these other kids, particuarly because of the measles outbreak in Maryland. She said, "Better to be safe than sorry."

What would you do? I'm just curious.

Alot of Doctors were offering separate injections for measles, mumps and rubella when there was alot of fuss about the MMR in this country. These are very different from the MMR jab so if its available in the U.S maybe you could surgest your freinds try that [not soley for your benefit obviously].

Sounds like we are... medical concerns are the only reason that we decided against them. Also, my family seems to have a lot of issues that might related to vaccines, though it is not conclusive. I had ADD, which some link to vaccines, though I am not sure. My daughter had her reaction. My brothers two kids both started developing issues, one with autism AFTER vaccinations. I wonder if some families are predisposed to issues?

I absolutely believe some people are predisposed. I've often said that scientific understanding of neurological/developmental issues in children is in its infancy. 50 years from now they will think we were so foolish. The answers are there, and we just don't see them yet. But you know, the same can be said for allergies. Have you ever been tested? It's hit or miss. I know it's simplistic, but I wonder if some people react to shots in an allergic type of way, and that sets off the motion of autism like symptoms.

Of course it's more complex than that, but as a parent like you, I know what I observed. I did not want to see that. I never dreamed I would. But I did, and no reviews/studies can tell me differently. They know the medicine, but I know the child.

I was not gonna fight you about this, I was just a little shocked. You are a very reasonable person, and I simply would have thought that you would not dismiss autism and ADD like that in a flippant manner. OF course it could be other things, or a combination too...

I'm not dismissing it at all.

I'm suggesting that people not apply causation to something without putting it into context.

Vaccinations and Autism
Before 1980, autism was diagnosed in just 1 out of every 10,000 children. Twenty – five years later, the National Institutes of Health reported that autism disorders affect one in every 250 children, and is estimated to increase 10% every year.

Vaccinations and Autism

This is the context part, I hope everyone considers this too.

Record keeping of mental illness and/or mental fitness has been terrible at best for the past 200+ years. Only recently (past 30 years maybe) has there been a determined effort to catalog what mental defects people have.

We have been putting new foreign substances in our bodies, like immunization chemicals, fluoride, chemical preservatives etc.

All of these foreign substances could possibly cause these things.

To attribute it to vaccinations because someone finds a suspect correlation between the two is wrong.

I think that you not continuing vaccinations for your children is fine.
You have a logical, reasonable purpose. Your daughter got severely ill from it.

(Edit: something I forgot to say was that I find a lot of vaccination warnings coming from magazines and internet sites that also recommend colloidal silver and other such nonsense. That automatically puts it on my highly possible bull**** list.)

Last edited:
I have a question I am curious how other parents feel.

My son has had his MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine. I just found out that several mommies in a mommies group I am in have NOT had their children undergo the MMR. Children undergo 2 MMR vaccines; one at approximately 1 year old and the other usually before they start kindergarten. The first shot protects the child 95 to 98%. The second shot will bring it up to 99% protection.

I live in Virginia, close to the Maryland and DC borders. We have had an outbreak of measles in Maryland. Four measles cases diagnosed in Maryland -- baltimoresun.com

My pediatrician's office said that I need to decide for myself whether to keep Weston away from non-immunized children. My older sister is a nurse. She said she wanted me to NOT expose Weston to these other kids, particuarly because of the measles outbreak in Maryland. She said, "Better to be safe than sorry."

What would you do? I'm just curious.

If these mothers don't have a valid reason, I'd not want to bring my kids around them.

Some people have good, valid reasons such a Bodhisattva.

Others are just following that pop culture, new age, crap without real relevant information.

I was not gonna fight you about this, I was just a little shocked. You are a very reasonable person, and I simply would have thought that you would not dismiss autism and ADD like that in a flippant manner. OF course it could be other things, or a combination too...

Vaccinations and Autism
Before 1980, autism was diagnosed in just 1 out of every 10,000 children. Twenty – five years later, the National Institutes of Health reported that autism disorders affect one in every 250 children, and is estimated to increase 10% every year.

Vaccinations and Autism
Some would suggest the increase in "Autism" over the years is due to misdiagnosis.

That's why I plan on having my future children vaccinated. I've done a bit of research, but the "vaccines cause autism" crowd seems to be continually moving the goalposts:

First it was "Mercury in the form of Thimerosal causes Autism." When that turned out to be false, it became "Vaccines themselves cause Autism." Now it is "Well you are overwhelming the kids immune systems with too many vaccines at once, thus they are getting Autism." Sorry, but I'll stick with the professionals over paranoid and emotional celebrities and parents.

Keep your kid away from em and shame on them for risking their childrens lives and not getting them their shots:(

Autism is a psychological developmental disorder, I think a part of the reason kid's get diagnosed shortly after the vaccine, is because the age of onset/ usual diagnosis of autism is about the same age in which children receive the vaccine.

Keep your kid away from em and shame on them for risking their childrens lives and not getting them their shots:(

I have done just that. I will not attend any function where these children are.

The Doctor Who Fooled The World: An excerpt from Brian Deer’s new book about Andrew Wakefield
deer-book.jpg

Retraction Watch readers are no doubt familiar with the case of Andrew Wakefield, the former gastroenterologist who led a 1998 paper in The Lancet — now retracted — that led him to claim a link between the MMR vaccine and autism. It was journalist Brian Deer who revealed the true details of that work, and in this excerpt from his new book, The Doctor Who Fooled the World, released today in the U.S., Deer reports on Wakefield’s formative years.
In some imaginary universe, he might be revered as Professor Sir Andrew Wakefield. Two decades before his invitation to Donald Trump’s inauguration ball, the destination he felt beckoned, like a big bony finger, wasn’t in Washington, DC, or anywhere in America, but a concert hall in downtown Stockholm. Dressed like Fred Astaire in white tie and tails, his dream, people said, was to collect a gold medal from the hands of the King of the Swedes.
“You’d hear them in the canteen,” a former colleague of his tells me. “They’d be talking about the Nobel Prize.”
But to that, or any, universe, the gateway was the same: the portal to all his possibilities. It stood then—and stands now—on Beacon Hill: high above the city of Bath, in the county of Somerset, ninety minutes by train west of London. Here you’ll find the entrance to his childhood home, and the exit to all roads he will travel.
It’s no picket gate. This isn’t Tom Sawyer. I’d guess the frame weighs more than a ton. Embracing two ten-foot Doric columns and matching pilasters, with an ornately carved frieze across a multilayered architrave, it resembles the entrance to a Victorian mausoleum, or a side door to the Colosseum of Rome. It speaks of wealth, class, authority, and entitlement. In uppercase, the lintel is lettered:
Continue reading The Doctor Who Fooled The World: An excerpt from Brian Deer’s new book about Andrew Wakefield

My first daughter got the MMR at just over one year-old and almost died as a result. Emergency surgery and all of that from a side effect reaction. She has not had any other vaccination and my second daughter ahs had no vaccinations at all as a result.

.... and EgoffTib, you don't think that there is any correlation at all between autism, ADD and other issues with vaccines? Seriously?

correct, vaccination rates do not correlate to autism diagnosis rates.

in fact, the sales of organic foods correlate better.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I don't know about the formaldehyde and aluminum, but I do know that my son did not receive an MMR that had mercury. I can't shake two things: (1) the fact that my pediatrician's office didn't say, "DO NOT worry." Their leaving the decision up to me says there may be a tiny bit of problems with it; and (2) that my sister (who has been an RN since 1980) said she could not, in good conscience, say she felt safe. She said she would feel differently if the measles situation had not occurred in Maryland (which is 20 miles from where I live).

I can accept that some people won't have their children immunized. However, I cannot accept people who are friends of mine who never informed me of their decision to NOT immunize their children until now. I think it shows a thoughtlessness that I don't care to be around. Maybe I'll feel differently down the road, but right now, I don't care to associate with these people. I have enough friends/parents who have immunized their children that my son won't be deprived if he doesn't see these other kids.
There’s more formeldahyde in an apple.

That’s not an exaggeration.

aps, maybe I can ease some of your fears.

The idea that something is 95% effective is misleading you into thinking that with exposure, the child will either get it full blown (and thus potentially fatal) or he won't... but that's not the way immunology works. If he has had the first vaccine then his immune system has already been provided with a tool to fight the illness.

The second vaccine means that the illness won't even be able to proliferate at all. It's essentially a booster shot to amplify and reinforce the effectiveness of the first shot. With the second shot, the virus will be targetted and destroyed the second it enters the body. With the first injection, your kid could get infected, but the immune system already has some preparation to deal with it, so even though he would get sick, the illness wouldn't be nearly as severe as someone who never had the first one. He would more than likely come down with a mild case. No need to alarm yourself with statistics from the developing world... your kid already got the first shot. That and the fact that you live in the U.S. means that you're home free, basically.

I personally believe that vaccines are important but the way they are manufactured needs to change. A lot of the additives and preservatives in them have little research into long-term side effects. There are ingredients such as formaldehyde (embalming fluid), mercury and aluminum compounds, etc. The bodies of young children are way more sensitive than those of adults. You would never give your kid alcohol, or an adult dose of medicine, so why would you inject them with any of the above poisons willingly?

That said... the minority of parents who don't get their kids vaccinated, mostly on the belief that it contributes to neurological issues, can afford to abstain because the majority are getting the vaccine. Their protection comes from the fact that everyone else is protected and over all incidence of the illness is minimized.
Have you ever given your child an apple to eat?

Back
Top Bottom