• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MMR vaccine

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I have a question I am curious how other parents feel.

My son has had his MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine. I just found out that several mommies in a mommies group I am in have NOT had their children undergo the MMR. Children undergo 2 MMR vaccines; one at approximately 1 year old and the other usually before they start kindergarten. The first shot protects the child 95 to 98%. The second shot will bring it up to 99% protection.

I live in Virginia, close to the Maryland and DC borders. We have had an outbreak of measles in Maryland. Four measles cases diagnosed in Maryland -- baltimoresun.com

My pediatrician's office said that I need to decide for myself whether to keep Weston away from non-immunized children. My older sister is a nurse. She said she wanted me to NOT expose Weston to these other kids, particuarly because of the measles outbreak in Maryland. She said, "Better to be safe than sorry."

What would you do? I'm just curious.

If he's got the vaccine, what are you worried about?

If he's got the vaccine, what are you worried about?

Ahem. Did you read my post? The first vaccine provides 95 to 98% protection. It's not 100%. That's my concern.

Your son's pediatrician isn't definitively saying he should be kept away from the non-immunized children. He's probably fine. The only way to be certain your son doesn't get measles from the other children, should they contract it, is to isolate him from them. Personally, I wouldn't keep him from his playmates unless the doctor believes he should be.

Last edited:
Ahem. Did you read my post? The first vaccine provides 95 to 98% protection. It's not 100%. That's my concern.

Well I guess your pediatrician was right. You have to weigh the risk yourself. But its rare that its ever fatal even in unvaccinated people nowdays. I personally wouldn't worry. I'd take 95-98% everyday that ends in y. Nothing in life is ever guarenteed 100%. You might as well never strap your kid in a car.....

Well I guess your pediatrician was right. You have to weigh the risk yourself. But its rare that its ever fatal even in unvaccinated people nowdays. I personally wouldn't worry. I'd take 95-98% everyday that ends in y. Nothing in life is ever guarenteed 100%. You might as well never strap your kid in a car.....

Though measles is relatively rare in the United States, it remains a leading cause of death among young children worldwide.

http://edcp.org/factsheets/measlesfact.cfm

Gotta love the "vaccines cause Autism" crowd. Short on facts, but certainly not on ignorance.

I have a question I am curious how other parents feel.

My son has had his MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine. I just found out that several mommies in a mommies group I am in have NOT had their children undergo the MMR. Children undergo 2 MMR vaccines; one at approximately 1 year old and the other usually before they start kindergarten. The first shot protects the child 95 to 98%. The second shot will bring it up to 99% protection.

I live in Virginia, close to the Maryland and DC borders. We have had an outbreak of measles in Maryland. Four measles cases diagnosed in Maryland -- baltimoresun.com

My pediatrician's office said that I need to decide for myself whether to keep Weston away from non-immunized children. My older sister is a nurse. She said she wanted me to NOT expose Weston to these other kids, particuarly because of the measles outbreak in Maryland. She said, "Better to be safe than sorry."

What would you do? I'm just curious.

My first daughter got the MMR at just over one year-old and almost died as a result. Emergency surgery and all of that from a side effect reaction. She has not had any other vaccination and my second daughter ahs had no vaccinations at all as a result.

.... and EgoffTib, you don't think that there is any correlation at all between autism, ADD and other issues with vaccines? Seriously?

..... and EgoffTib, you don't think that there is any correlation at all between autism, ADD and other issues with vaccines? Seriously?
No. I suggest you pick up this month's issue of Discover magazine, they did a whole 4 page article on how there is no relevant scientific data to support the claim.

Your son's pediatrician isn't definitively saying he should be kept away from the non-immunized children. He's probably fine. The only way to be certain your son doesn't get measles from the other children, should they contract it, is to isolate him from them. Personally, I wouldn't keep him from his playmates unless the doctor believes he should be.

Most pediatricians spoon feed you their brainwashed AMA statistical crap, that is what they do. The doctors themselves know next to jack about the vaccines themselves, nor the side-effects.

My first daughter got the MMR at just over one year-old and almost died as a result. Emergency surgery and all of that from a side effect reaction. She has not had any other vaccination and my second daughter ahs had no vaccinations at all as a result.

.... and EgoffTib, you don't think that there is any correlation at all between autism, ADD and other issues with vaccines? Seriously?

I'm not trying to start a fight about this but just something to consider.

Mental illness or not complete mental fitness is a relatively new field of study along with vaccinations.

It could be argued that fluoride in the water supply is causing it just because its new as well.

Yikes. I'm glad she's okay, Bodhi. How scary!

Most pediatricians spoon feed you their brainwashed AMA statistical crap, that is what they do. The doctors themselves know next to jack about the vaccines themselves, nor the side-effects.

I disagree with this. We received documentation regarding the side-effects of the vaccine, which included severe side-effects. The severe ones are rare.

I do not believe there is a relationship between the MMR vaccine and autism. That is my personal opinion based upon the evidence I read.

I would not have my child around such selfish people. Sorry. My son's life changed right after the MMR, and when it came down to booster shots we had a lot of soul searching to do. Without a doubt, it was better to immunize against devastating illness & live with possible long term reactions than to leave him open for a horrible disease (and leave others vulnerable).

In the end, we decided to space out all vaccinations so he wasn't hit with a barage into his bloodstream all at once. He will only get shots w/out thermerisol. After that, I saw significant changes after the 5 year boosters. IMO the MMR was coincidental. However, if careful observations mean anything, I definitely saw distinct, negative changes after shots. We just had to manage him as best as we could.

EgoTff as usual, jumps to arrogant conclusions. :roll: Each time a child is given a vaccination, the parents are handed warnings from the CDC/AMA. Though often remote, there is always a chance of negative side effects when introducting ANYTHING into one's bloodstream.

If you ever have a child with a disorder that changes her/his life and no one in the medical community can give you an explanation for how it happened to your otherwise healthy child, you WILL look for answers. That's not ignorant. That's a damn good parent & avocate. However, people have to weigh all the consequences. Besides, it's not always the autism crowds with the anti-vaccination thing. Yuppy moms think it's cool to be edgy like this. Now those moms are the chicks you wanna slap upside the head.

(forgive spelling, just waking up here)

Last edited:

Mental illness or not complete mental fitness is a relatively new field of study along with vaccinations.

It could be argued that fluoride in the water supply is causing it just because its new as well.

Autism is not a mental illness.

I would not have my child around such selfish people. Sorry. My son's life changed right after the MMR, and when it came down to booster shots we had a lot of soul searching to do. Without a doubt, it was better to immunize against devastating illness & live with possible long term reactions than to leave him open for a horrible disease (and leave others vulnerable).

In the end, we decided to space out all vaccinations so he wasn't hit with a barage into his bloodstream all at once. He will only get shots w/out thermerisol. After that, I saw significant changes after the 5 year boosters. IMO the MMR was coincidental. However, if careful observations mean anything, I definitely saw distinct, negative changes after shots. We just had to manage him as best as we could.

EgoTff as usual, jumps to arrogant conclusions. :roll: Each time a child is given a vaccination, the parents are handed warnings from the CDC/AMA. Though often remote, there is always a chance of negative side effects when introducting ANYTHING into one's bloodstream.

If you ever have a child with a disorder that changes her/his life and no one in the medical community can give you an explanation for how it happened to your otherwise healthy child, you WILL look for answers. That's not ignorant. That's a damn good parent & avocate. However, people have to weigh all the consequences. Besides, it's not always the autism crowds with the anti-vaccination thing. Yuppy moms think it's cool to be edgy like this. Now those moms are the chicks you wanna slap upside the head.

(forgive spelling, just waking up here)

StandUp, that is EXACTLY how I feel, although my husband pointed out that he's sure these people are relying on evidence they believe is sound. I am so pissed off that I don't want to be around them. One of them said, "If Weston is immuned, then it's safer for my daughter to be around him." (Her daughter is NOT immuned." Are you f***ing kidding me? That's what made me think that she is selfish. I declined going to her BBQ. I declined a pool party next month from a woman who clearly is NOT immunizing her son because she doesn't like the medical evidence, but admitted she signed a "religious waiver" for why she is not having her son immunized. And she encouraged the mother of the daugther to sign the waiver as well, knowing full well that the not wanting her daugther to be immunized has nothing to do with religion. It made me sick. They can kiss my ass.

Making generalized, inaccurate statements doesn't help. Sorry.

Measles and mumps are rare in the United States, ergo, death from measles and mumps is rare in the United States. You live in Virginia, therefore you have little to worry about statistically.

aps, maybe I can ease some of your fears.

The idea that something is 95% effective is misleading you into thinking that with exposure, the child will either get it full blown (and thus potentially fatal) or he won't... but that's not the way immunology works. If he has had the first vaccine then his immune system has already been provided with a tool to fight the illness.

The second vaccine means that the illness won't even be able to proliferate at all. It's essentially a booster shot to amplify and reinforce the effectiveness of the first shot. With the second shot, the virus will be targetted and destroyed the second it enters the body. With the first injection, your kid could get infected, but the immune system already has some preparation to deal with it, so even though he would get sick, the illness wouldn't be nearly as severe as someone who never had the first one. He would more than likely come down with a mild case. No need to alarm yourself with statistics from the developing world... your kid already got the first shot. That and the fact that you live in the U.S. means that you're home free, basically.

I personally believe that vaccines are important but the way they are manufactured needs to change. A lot of the additives and preservatives in them have little research into long-term side effects. There are ingredients such as formaldehyde (embalming fluid), mercury and aluminum compounds, etc. The bodies of young children are way more sensitive than those of adults. You would never give your kid alcohol, or an adult dose of medicine, so why would you inject them with any of the above poisons willingly?

That said... the minority of parents who don't get their kids vaccinated, mostly on the belief that it contributes to neurological issues, can afford to abstain because the majority are getting the vaccine. Their protection comes from the fact that everyone else is protected and over all incidence of the illness is minimized.

Last edited:
Measles and mumps are rare in the United States, ergo, death from measles and mumps is rare in the United States. You live in Virginia, therefore you have little to worry about statistically.

Now that's a statement I can agree with. :2wave:

aps, maybe I can ease some of your fears.

The idea that something is 95% effective is misleading you into thinking that with exposure, the child will either get it full blown (and thus potentially fatal) or he won't... but that's not the way immunology works. If he has had the first vaccine then his immune system has already been provided with a tool to fight the illness.

The second vaccine means that the illness won't even be able to proliferate at all. It's essentially a booster shot to amplify and reinforce the effectiveness of the first shot. With the second shot, the virus will be targetted and destroyed the second it enters the body. With the first injection, your kid could get infected, but the immune system already has some preparation to deal with it, so even though he would get sick, the illness wouldn't be nearly as severe as someone who never had the first one. He would more than likely come down with a mild case. No need to alarm yourself with statistics from the developing world... your kid already got the first shot. That and the fact that you live in the U.S. means that you're home free, basically.

I personally believe that vaccines are important but the way they are manufactured needs to change. A lot of the additives and preservatives in them have little research into long-term side effects. There are ingredients such as formaldehyde (embalming fluid), mercury and aluminum compounds, etc. The bodies of young children are way more sensitive than those of adults. You would never give your kid alcohol, or an adult dose of medicine, so why would you inject them with any of the above poisons willingly?

That said... the minority of parents who don't get their kids vaccinated, mostly on the belief that it contributes to neurological issues, can afford to abstain because the majority are getting the vaccine. Their protection comes from the fact that everyone else is protected and over all incidence of the illness is minimized.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I don't know about the formaldehyde and aluminum, but I do know that my son did not receive an MMR that had mercury. I can't shake two things: (1) the fact that my pediatrician's office didn't say, "DO NOT worry." Their leaving the decision up to me says there may be a tiny bit of problems with it; and (2) that my sister (who has been an RN since 1980) said she could not, in good conscience, say she felt safe. She said she would feel differently if the measles situation had not occurred in Maryland (which is 20 miles from where I live).

I can accept that some people won't have their children immunized. However, I cannot accept people who are friends of mine who never informed me of their decision to NOT immunize their children until now. I think it shows a thoughtlessness that I don't care to be around. Maybe I'll feel differently down the road, but right now, I don't care to associate with these people. I have enough friends/parents who have immunized their children that my son won't be deprived if he doesn't see these other kids.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I don't know about the formaldehyde and aluminum, but I do know that my son did not receive an MMR that had mercury. I can't shake two things: (1) the fact that my pediatrician's office didn't say, "DO NOT worry." Their leaving the decision up to me says there may be a tiny bit of problems with it; and (2) that my sister (who has been an RN since 1980) said she could not, in good conscience, say she felt safe. She said she would feel differently if the measles situation had not occurred in Maryland (which is 20 miles from where I live).

They can't tell you to not worry because that would be like saying your child will never get it, or never be that one in 10,000 who dies a horrible death from it. It's a liability thing. What if they said don't worry and then your kid was the 1 in 10,000?... you would go right back to them with a lawsuit, saying they lied to you.

There is always a remote chance your kid will get it from the other kids who weren't innoculated if they come down with it, but I stand by what I said in the last post. Your kid still got the first injection so that will already reduce risk a great deal. I think you should live your life and stop worrying.

I can accept that some people won't have their children immunized. However, I cannot accept people who are friends of mine who never informed me of their decision to NOT immunize their children until now. I think it shows a thoughtlessness that I don't care to be around. Maybe I'll feel differently down the road, but right now, I don't care to associate with these people. I have enough friends/parents who have immunized their children that my son won't be deprived if he doesn't see these other kids.

It is kind of irresponsible to not notify you about it, especially when an outbreak is nearby... but I can't say more than that. You'd have to talk with them to know their motives. At the end of the day it's your responsibility to take care of your child and do what you think is best. Your child already has a high rate of protection so I wouldn't stress about life threatening illness coming his way.

The mercury in the vaccine is so small that it is entirely harmless.

I was not gonna fight you about this, I was just a little shocked. You are a very reasonable person, and I simply would have thought that you would not dismiss autism and ADD like that in a flippant manner. OF course it could be other things, or a combination too...

Vaccinations and Autism
Before 1980, autism was diagnosed in just 1 out of every 10,000 children. Twenty – five years later, the National Institutes of Health reported that autism disorders affect one in every 250 children, and is estimated to increase 10% every year.

Vaccinations and Autism

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom