• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

MLB 2022

Judge just tied the real single season home run record. 61.
As a kid, Roger Maris was my idol. I was at Yankee stadium in 1961, 61 years ago to see 4 of the 61 Roger hit.
Its kid of a melancholy feeling to see the record tied. But time changes all.

As a kid, Roger Maris was my idol. I was at Yankee stadium in 1961, 61 years ago to see 4 of the 61 Roger hit.

No the real record is held by Barry Bonds.

Let's stop discrediting Bonds record.

Sorry, cant do.
Just today I read a Bond's quote that said he believed he would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Lol yeah, Pete Rose has been saying that for 50 years.

Sorry. The guy can't get into the HOF for a reason. Enough said.

Unless they pull an asshole move like the Red Sox and walk him four times. There used to be a code.

If the game has meaning Judge should be intentionally walked every at bat, even if the bases are loaded.

The Yankees do not have a premium hitting before or after Judge. He's just too good.

I hope Aaron Boone sits Judge the rest of the game. I don't want to see Judge break the record in a shit hole like Toronto.

I feel bad for Judges mom and Roger Maris Jr having to fly to this gutter city.

I wonder why that Blue Jays fan didn't dive to catch that ball? That ball is worth breaking your neck for. I am just shocked he didn't make a better effort.

Discredit it is all one can do with his "record".

...It's illegitimate due to the steroid use.

EoS.

EoS.

If is illegitimate than shouldn't an asterisk be next to Bonds, Big Mac, and Sosa's name?

If is illegitimate than shouldn't an asterisk be next to Bonds, Big Mac, and Sosa's name?
Yes, if it is in the books at all - though it should be expunged.
..but then MLB would have either to admit it had been fooled (otay, baseball fans), engage in the ultimate hypocrisy, or admit to have not been complicit in the deceit, and the defrauding of its fans.

Last edited:
or admit to have not been complicit in the deceit, and the defrauding of its fans.
Pardons - meaning was and claim to have not been complicit.

Until they admit they ****ed up, and restore the legit records, MLB can eat shit.

Good to see the Mets pull it out.

Same old (sad) story for the Phils ... no clutch hitters in sight again tonight.

No less than 29 left on base.

Harp whiffed on three pitches with a man on in the ninth.

Dude is just not a clutch performer.

They've now dropped nine of their last twelve games and, frankly, don't belong in the playoffs...

We’re old. I remember the 1961 season also. The 154th game was broadcast on one of the three over the air channels. Maris hit number 59 that game, but the Orioles brough in Hoyt Wilhelm to face Maris in his last at bat. Maris failed to hit number 60 that night. It was quite a season between the M&M boys. I think most of us were pulling for Mantle to break Ruth’s record, but he got injured in September. Mantle ended up with 54. It was a season to remember.

The only games I ever got to watch on TV was the Game of the Week with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese. Still going to school, most teachers brought TV’s in the classroom to let us watch the world series between the Reds and Yanks.

Anyway, Congratulations to Judge. The question now is can he win the triple crown along with breaking Maris’s record? Mantle’s triple crown in 1956, he hit .352, 52 homers and 130 RBI’s. I was 10 years old that year. I followed the game, especially then the Milwaukee Braves on radio. Atlanta had the Braves AA southern league minor league team, the Atlanta Crackers. It was a great time to be a baseball fan, growing up listening to the games with such players as Aaron, Mantle, Mays, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Warren Spahn, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Stan the man Musilal, Yogi Berra, Eddie Mathews and more. Great memories from that era of baseball when baseball was king.

We’re old. I remember the 1961 season also. The 154th game was broadcast on one of the three over the air channels. Maris hit number 59 that game, but the Orioles brough in Hoyt Wilhelm to face Maris in his last at bat. Maris failed to hit number 60 that night. It was quite a season between the M&M boys. I think most of us were pulling for Mantle to break Ruth’s record, but he got injured in September. Mantle ended up with 54. It was a season to remember.

The only games I ever got to watch on TV was the Game of the Week with Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese. Still going to school, most teachers brought TV’s in the classroom to let us watch the world series between the Reds and Yanks.

Anyway, Congratulations to Judge. The question now is can he win the triple crown along with breaking Maris’s record? Mantle’s triple crown in 1956, he hit .352, 52 homers and 130 RBI’s. I was 10 years old that year. I followed the game, especially then the Milwaukee Braves on radio. Atlanta had the Braves AA southern league minor league team, the Atlanta Crackers. It was a great time to be a baseball fan, growing up listening to the games with such players as Aaron, Mantle, Mays, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks, Warren Spahn, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Stan the man Musilal, Yogi Berra, Eddie Mathews and more. Great memories from that era of baseball when baseball was king.

Next 3 games against the Orioles, who he is hitting .397.

It was quite a season between the M&M boys. I think most of us were pulling for Mantle to break Ruth’s record

Yes, most were but for some reason I was a Maris fan.

M&M Boys. I have not heard that in a while. That too brings back memories.

Yes, most were but for some reason I was a Maris fan.

M&M Boys. I have not heard that in a while. That too brings back memories.
Maris didn’t have that long a career, 2 years with the Cleveland Indians, 2 with the Kansas City A’s, then 7 with the Yankees before ending his career in St. Louis, his last 2 years. A lot of folks forget Maris won 2 MVP awards with the yanks. He finished with 275 home runs, not a total that would get one into the Hall of Fame. Of course, back then the criteria were 500 home runs or 3,000 hits, 300 career wins for a pitcher or forget the Hall. That was a completely different era. A lot of folks back then didn’t want to recognize Maris’s 61 as it took him 162 games instead of 154. They also cited the watered-down effect of the AL going from 8 to 10 teams saying a lot of those playing in the AL in 1961 were basically AAA or AA players.

But what of today? 30 teams, 15 in each league, the DH, one can make the same argument of the talent level being watered-down today. But I view baseball as a series of eras where the new one is different from the old one. Comparing stats in the dead ball era or the Ruth era or the expansion era which began in 1961 to the steroid era, the DH era to today doesn’t tell the true picture of a players worth or accomplishment on the field. Records are made to be broken. However, I have big problems including the steroid era stats with those of previous eras or today’s era. Today’s game is completely different than that of my youth. I hate the DH. That reminds me of a girls’ softball game, I keep wondering when they will have that short outfielder.

I grew up watching Warren Spahn, pitch count, no way. He’d started 30-40 games, complete 20-30, throw 250-300 innings a season or more. Win 363 games. Hit for himself, yeah, a completely different game today.

Anyway, congratulation to Judge. I hope he gets a few more.

Maris didn’t have that long a career, 2 years with the Cleveland Indians, 2 with the Kansas City A’s, then 7 with the Yankees before ending his career in St. Louis, his last 2 years. A lot of folks forget Maris won 2 MVP awards with the yanks. He finished with 275 home runs, not a total that would get one into the Hall of Fame. Of course, back then the criteria were 500 home runs or 3,000 hits, 300 career wins for a pitcher or forget the Hall. That was a completely different era. A lot of folks back then didn’t want to recognize Maris’s 61 as it took him 162 games instead of 154. They also cited the watered-down effect of the AL going from 8 to 10 teams saying a lot of those playing in the AL in 1961 were basically AAA or AA players.

But what of today? 30 teams, 15 in each league, the DH, one can make the same argument of the talent level being watered-down today. But I view baseball as a series of eras where the new one is different from the old one. Comparing stats in the dead ball era or the Ruth era or the expansion era which began in 1961 to the steroid era, the DH era to today doesn’t tell the true picture of a players worth or accomplishment on the field. Records are made to be broken. However, I have big problems including the steroid era stats with those of previous eras or today’s era. Today’s game is completely different than that of my youth. I hate the DH. That reminds me of a girls’ softball game, I keep wondering when they will have that short outfielder.

I grew up watching Warren Spahn, pitch count, no way. He’d started 30-40 games, complete 20-30, throw 250-300 innings a season or more. Win 363 games. Hit for himself, yeah, a completely different game today.

Anyway, congratulation to Judge. I hope he gets a few more.

Baseball was so different then. No one sat down and watch a game unless you were at the ballpark. You went about life and the game was on in the background. TV or radio. It was the background "musical score" of life in the late 50's and 60's. If you were at the game, you keep score. Every kid knew how to keep a score card before they knew how to read Dick and Jane.

I still know the lineup of the 1961 NY Yankees.

Baseball was so different then. No one sat down and watch a game unless you were at the ballpark. You went about life and the game was on in the background. TV or radio. It was the background "musical score" of life in the late 50's and 60's. If you were at the game, you keep score. Every kid knew how to keep a score card before they knew how to read Dick and Jane.

I still know the lineup of the 1961 NY Yankees.
Yeah, there were those who said the game was either meant to be seen at the ballpark or to be listened to on the radio. I think most kids back then knew the starting lineups of all 16 teams. When the box scores were published daily in the sports section of every newspaper.

What I miss is the doubleheaders. Every team had a double header on Memorial Day, the 4th of July and Labor Day without fail. I even remember Ladies Day when the ladies got in at half price. Nowadays no more doubleheaders unless a team is forced to have one, then it’s a day, night doubleheaders. No more two for the price of one. I guess one can live in nostalgia of the past, but so sweet nostalgia it is.

I can remember the Braves leaving Milwaukee for Atlanta. Then in 1969, the Mets beating my Braves. I’ve hated the Mets ever since. Which makes the upcoming 3 games series with the Mets that much more special, even sweet if you will.

EoS.

Outside of Judge and Griffey, who played the game "clean" in the modern era?

Are we going to put an asterisk next to Bonds, A-Rod, Sosa, Thome, Frank Thomas, McGwire, Palmerio, Pujols, Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, etc....?

Did I miss any names? Should we just assume guilt for every player named by Jose Canseco?

And how can we discredit these players if some were never suspended and technically broke any rules?

Crazy story.

The fan that almost caught Judges 61 HR ball, his name is......Frankie Lasagna.

And he owns an Italian restaurant that does not serve lasagna. LOL.

Outside of Judge and Griffey, who played the game "clean" in the modern era?

Are we going to put an asterisk next to Bonds, A-Rod, Sosa, Thome, Frank Thomas, McGwire, Palmerio, Pujols, Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, etc....?

Did I miss any names? Should we just assume guilt for every player named by Jose Canseco?

And how can we discredit these players if some were never suspended and technically broke any rules?
Really there all only a few that matter - Bonds, Sosa, McGwire. The reason being their stats exceeded the legitimate records. I don't think anyone really gives a shit about Gary Sheffield.

Back
Top Bottom