• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Facebo

Re: Philando Castile Shot Dead in Minnesota Traffic Stop

I don't disagree with what you said. However, for the millionth time, my question was dodged. Then again, I wasn't talking to you, so I'm just getting trolled further. Well played.

For the millionth time, I gave an opinion, "Too many". Its a statement of opinion. I'm not going to spend the day building you a spreadsheet. I get paid to do that all day by my employer. So drop it.

That's no good. It's better than nothing, but won't substantiate the facts unless the car is pointing in the right direction. The cop should be in doubt, where he doesn't secure proof.

Innocent until proven guilty last time I checked.

He he shot for no reason then I recommend charges but we need more evidence.
Right now we have nothing.

Re: Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Fa

No, she live broadcasted it via Facebook. Had she just recorded it, the cops would probably have confiscated. This way it went out live.

What else could she do? The cops would have made up a story to cover their asses...and they weren't wearing body cams.

What she did was the right thing, and now we see the crime the police did.

Regardless, I find it callous to be more concerned about getting the officer into trouble than the loved one she just lost. How did she know he was dead? Why wasn't she trying to get him medical assistance?

Sure it's sad, any shooting is, but this is another case where you have to ask yourself, had this been a black officer that shot a white driver, would it have made the news?

Of course not.

LOL. :roll:

If you have an example of white carry permit holder being killed by black cop during routine traffic stop, and it being ignored by "the news" that would be good. I would think it would get wide coverage in the mainline news, and if not there then in the conservative news world, gun rights outlets, NRA, etc. if nothing else to debunk the idea that this only happens to blacks and that #AllLivesMatter etc...

Re: Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on Fa

The scary part are the buffoons that don't meet the bare minimums to become cops....they become prison guards.

Isn't it weird how this all works? People actively advocate that teachers get paid too much. No ****, that's why we've managed to have a society where over 90% of the country can read. It's how we have MIT and Harvard, Yale, and an education system people will cross entire oceans over. It's not the best, but it's far better than anything the overwhelming majority of countries have to offer.

These same people are often the same who will actively argue that our cops - who are generally untrained and this is just one more piece of evidence displaying as much - should be above criticism and 'Monday night quarterbacking'. In what world does that make sense? Probably in the same world where people believe Stephen Hawking hasn't worked a day in his life.

Appears to be a case where the officer responded out of fear, but no indication he responded out of racial hatred or bias. Should only make a difference in the sentencing.This one there isnt much of a question.

I think so too. I mean he KNEW the guy was armed. He was TOLD he had a license. Now that is "allegedly" and from the officer's point of view he CANNOT take ANYONE'S word on that. And with good reason. But it doesn't change the fact that if this guy was informed he was armed, then he shouldn't have asked for his ID first. That requires movement. He should have cuffed him and checked it if he was THAT concerned.

But that is just arm chair QB. If we have any additional footage we need it. The woman's video doesn't verify anything other than the death of her boyfriend.

Regardless, I find it callous to be more concerned about getting the officer into trouble than the loved one she just lost. How did she know he was dead? Why wasn't she trying to get him medical assistance?

She had guns pointed at her? Her boyfriend had just been shot? What is she going to do? And she had a child to consider? Who says Barney Fife wouldn't have shot her for trying to render aid? And then claimed she was reaching for his gun?

How do you call the cops on the cops?

If she so much as moved to try to offer medical assistance, the cop would have shot her dead too.

I find cops shooting people like this to be much worse than your perception of what is callous.

This guy should have never been a police officer. Unbelievable.
The police officer is screaming and cussing and she calmly does as he orders her.

If it is true he has the dead man get his ID and CCP permit and then shot him for getting his wallet he needs to be fried.

There was a cop in...South Carolina, I think, a year or two ago that ran up on a guy in a gas station parking lot, asked him to get his ID and then shot him when he reached back in the cab of his truck. I'm pretty sure that cop ended up with a criminal conviction and if the same kind of thing happened here (as it appears) this cop will probably get the same treatment.

No, she live broadcasted it via Facebook. Had she just recorded it, the cops would probably have confiscated. This way it went out live.

What else could she do? The cops would have made up a story to cover their asses...and they weren't wearing body cams.

What she did was the right thing, and now we see the crime the police did.

So far all I have seen is the aftermath of the shooting. Not what led up to it and the shooting itself. As she is yelling at the cop you can hear him saying something about not moving.

I have carried firearms in vehicles.

I have been pulled over. More than once.

When pulled over I keep my hands up and visible. Usually resting on the dash.

One of the first things an officer asks is whether or not firearms or other weapons are in the vehicle.

I DO NOT move my hands as I answer "yes". I watch them tense up. I see (or imagine) one or more unholster their sidearm.

Then I wait until instructed to exit the vehicle.

Works every time I have done it.

Usually devolves into a discussion over the relative merits of their sidearm vs. my S&W 586 w6 inch barrel. And me maybe getting a ticket.

She had guns pointed at her? Her boyfriend had just been shot? What is she going to do? And she had a child to consider? Who says Barney Fife wouldn't have shot her for trying to render aid? And then claimed she was reaching for his gun?

It reeks of "Gotcha"! Which makes me believe they may have been trying to distract away from what transpired before he was shot.

Ok first off, innocent until proven guilty is in the court of law and has no bearing on an immediate action of either law enforcement or the suspect. That's a trial right. If you pull a gun on a cop and don't fire it, they can still shoot you because you're pulling a gun in public that could endanger the public or the cops- even if you don't fire it. You could be innocent, you could be not, but LEOs wouldn't take that chance. Innocent until proven guilty is for the trial.

It's a problem but I'm not convinced that it's entirely a race issue. So far in 2016 there there has been 506 people shot and killed by police. 123 of those have been black.

While I dont disagree with the bolded your stat is meaningless to the question.

So far all I have seen is the aftermath of the shooting. Not what led up to it and the shooting itself. As she is yelling at the cop you can hear him saying something about not moving.

I have carried firearms in vehicles.

I have been pulled over. More than once.

When pulled over I keep my hands up and visible. Usually resting on the dash.

One of the first things an officer asks is whether or not firearms or other weapons are in the vehicle.

I DO NOT move my hands as I answer "yes". I watch them tense up. I see (or imagine) one or more unholster their sidearm.

Then I wait until instructed to exit the vehicle.

Works every time I have done it.

Usually devolves into a discussion over the relative merits of their sidearm vs. my S&W 586 w6 inch barrel. And me maybe getting a ticket.

I will say one thing about the Norfolk & Virginia Beach cops. They are well versed in concealed carry laws. White and black concealed holders are treated very respectfully by the police. I have a extensive background with meeting the police while carrying my weapon. The neighbors would call the cops all the time on me while I was breaking into "repo" houses for for various asset mangers and the cops/deputies would roll up to come check me out. It happened to me about 14-15 times that I can remember. I told them every time as they pulled up that I had a weapon, and they would usually just say "thank you for telling us sir" and blew it off. I once had a young female deputy ask me to lay the weapon on the porch deck at a old farm house one time while she called in to check me out. I laid it down and walked over to and handed her my business card with my "brokers" phone number on it. No biggie at all. She ended up buying the place with her husband (believe it or not) after I let her walk through the house.

It's only a paywall when you've viewed their site X (not sure how many) amount of times in a months time.

In the video the officer is obviously distressed. I think he's was more shocked than the woman was at it. The woman actually stayed surprisingly calm considering her boyfriend just got shot. Most partners wouldn't have such control, I know I probably wouldn't. I commend her on that. The police chief said that there hadn't been an officer involved shooting in that area for around 30 years.

Beyond that I think I'm going to withhold my ultimate opinion. But my heart DOES go out to the woman, her child, and the cop just based on what I know at this point in time. My current feeling is that this was more than likely a complete accident. IE: Unintentional shooting. I would like to know why the cop had his gun out in the first place though. That to me may make a huge difference.
Yep, cause Drudge likes to use WaPo and I well... I ran out of clicks real fast.

I've seen the video, it's heart wrenching, this a lose lose all around. If the officer was in error, why? Was it criminal or was it something else? Let the system work. Outrage and protests and riots solve nothing.

Ok first off, innocent until proven guilty is in the court of law and has no bearing on an immediate action of either law enforcement or the suspect. That's a trial right. If you pull a gun on a cop and don't fire it, they can still shoot you because you're pulling a gun in public that could endanger the public or the cops- even if you don't fire it. You could be innocent, you could be not, but LEOs wouldn't take that chance. Innocent until proven guilty is for the trial.

Umm no that is period you are innocent until proven guilty.

Appears to be a case where the officer responded out of fear, but no indication he responded out of racial hatred or bias. Should only make a difference in the sentencing.This one there isnt much of a question.

Wow with limited information and only one side of the story you got this nailed down. **** let's just do away with investigations, gathering information, Vance Mack can decide in less then 24 hour.

Wow with limited information and only one side of the story you got this nailed down. **** let's just do away with investigations, gathering information, Vance Mack can decide in less then 24 hour.
Its a gift....

Haha no you are not. Say for instance you rob a store at gun point. If the clerk kills you, he's not liable for the offense. He can kill you where you stand without taking you to trial to prroooooovvveee you guilty. Please let us know when you take Criminal Justice 101 so we can have a more civilized discussion.

According to statistics maintained by the far-left extremist Guardian newspaper in Britain, more than half of all people killed by US police this year have been white, while only 25 percent have been black.

The Guardian’s statistics are contained in a tally of police killings maintained by that newspaper on a site titled “The Counted.” This was set up by the far-leftist newspaper with the intention of “proving” how “racist” the police in America are—an aim which has now completely backfired in face of the facts.

According to the Guardian’s tally, of the approximately 1001 people killed by police this year in America, 502 were white, 250 were black, 163 were Hispanic/Latino, 18 were Asian/Pacific Islander, 13 were American Indian, and 54 were other/unknown.
Far More Whites Killed by US Police -

Your stupid link countered by reality. Have a nice day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

The presumption of innocence, sometimes referred to by the Latin expression Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (the burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies), is the principle that one is considered innocent unless proven guilty.

In many states, presumption of innocence is a legal right of the accused in a criminal trial, and it is also regarded as an international human right under the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11. The burden of proof is thus on the prosecution, which has to collect and present enough compelling evidence to convince the trier of fact, who is restrained and ordered by law to consider only actual evidence and testimony that is legally admissible, and in most cases lawfully obtained, that the accused is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. If reasonable doubt remains, the accused is to be acquitted. Under the Justinian Codes and English common law, the accused is presumed innocent in criminal proceedings, and in civil proceedings (like breach of contract) both sides must issue proof. Under Anglo-American common law, the accused is always presumed innocent in all types of proceedings; proof is always the burden of the accuser. The same principle is recognized by Islamic law.

Here ya go. Before you continue to look more ignorant.

That is why we need head cams. And to make sure they wear and activate them the direction of proof must be reversed. He must show the aggression and not the dead guy's wife the non-aggression. We assume that innocence of aggression til proof of aggression is brought by the cop. We cannot have cops shooting non-aggressive people.

Yep, cause Drudge likes to use WaPo and I well... I ran out of clicks real fast.

I've seen the video, it's heart wrenching, this a lose lose all around. If the officer was in error, why? Was it criminal or was it something else? Let the system work. Outrage and protests and riots solve nothing.

Just clear your browser cache.

Back
Top Bottom