• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to launch Windows 11?

Yeah, I'm not fond of too frequent updates, either. But I think I'll be ok for this one - 390 GH 2 core, 8GB Ram, 64bit, 839GB free for storage. I really don't want a new computer, so I hope its all good.
My advice would be to go to 16 GB RAM and an SSD. I would imagine that you'd be OK with that, and would welcome the performance boost with these upgrades.
The move from platter disco to SSD can be made manageable with disk imaging, so as not to lose everything, and the RAM certainly so.

Well, I won't be getting W11 anytime soon. It requires TPM 2.0 and my old 4th gen i7 Dell only has 1.2. While some PC's with TPM 1.2 can be upgraded to 2.0, mine cannot.

What is TPM?

Best Buy and H.H. Gregg salesman said Dell is one of the best Windows computer companies, along with Hewlett-Packard.

Windows has for ages been good only every other release, they seem to work on two releases at the same time with the a team working on one and the b team working on the other. This tends to release golden releases of Windows followed by buggy garbage releases of Windows.

First time I really saw that pattern was when Windows 95 which was loved just like Windows 3.1, It was replaced by Windows 98, which was garbage but was patched to be good, but then replaced by me which was garbage, but also had Windows 2000 in the mix which is still the base for modern Windows.

If I do not wait for the next release I will at least wait a few patches, as new Windows releases tend to have bugs in drivers and everything else screwing over users.

This is only what I know other people have said, not my experience (which only included 95, XP, 7, 8, and 10).

Windows 98: Not good.
Windows 2000: Good for businesses, but not personal use.
Windows XP: The best ever.
Windows 7: Everyone likes it.
Windows 8/8.1: Garbage
Windows 10: Still not ass good as Windows 7.

Windows 95 was my first version because before then I had lousy Apple computers that are now extinct.

This is only what I know other people have said, not my experience (which only included 95, XP, 7, 8, and 10).

Windows 95 was my first version because before then I had lousy Apple computers that are now extinct.
Close. This is how it goes for me:
Win 1.0: not good
Win 3.1: good
Win 95: good
Win 98: not good
Win 98 SE: very good
Win ME: very bad
Win 2000 Pro: very good
Win XP: not great at launch but very good by SP3
Win Vista: ok but limited hardware support hurt it
Win 7: very good
Win 8: very bad
Win 8.1: good
Win 10: very good

I had a version of Win 98 Lite that was smoking fast. I used a downloaded batch file to remove all the bloatware, including IE. Loved it.

A fair assessment of the Windows lineage. I'd move Windows 98 to the 'OK to good' category though, at least if memory serves. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, a good summary... But I can't give Vista an OK.... IMO it was a bloated mess.

And as I said before I've been using Win 11 for about 3 months now... So far very good.. Only problem was my VPN wouldn't work the 1st 2 months, but an update awhile ago fixed that...

Yeah, but that's been the case with EVERY major Windows release, hasn't it?
It's never been the case that they arbitrarily won't support CPU's perfectly capable of running the OS.

A fair assessment of the Windows lineage. I'd move Windows 98 to the 'OK to good' category though, at least if memory serves. 🤷‍♂️
I remember a whole lot of illegal operation errors when 98 first released, but the SE (Second Edition) fixed a lot of the stability issues and added some features, and is the one most people probably remember fondly.

I had a version of Win 98 Lite that was smoking fast. I used a downloaded batch file to remove all the bloatware, including IE. Loved it.

I had no idea there were multiple versions of Windows 98. Were there any other differences?

What is TPM?

Best Buy and H.H. Gregg salesman said Dell is one of the best Windows computer companies, along with Hewlett-Packard.
It's a security feature that was implemented relatively recently, that has undergone major revisions, so many computers have no TPM or TPM 1.2, where the official requirement for W11 was to be 2.0. In some cases, a 2.0 TPM module can be purchased and plugged into the motherboard, but not all.

Yeah, a good summary... But I can't give Vista an OK.... IMO it was a bloated mess.

And as I said before I've been using Win 11 for about 3 months now... So far very good.. Only problem was my VPN wouldn't work the 1st 2 months, but an update awhile ago fixed that...
I really liked it. It seemed like a big step up from XP, visually at least, and since my hardware was supported I had relatively few issues. I understand the steep (at the time) system requirements for aero and the limited driver support was a buzz kill for a lot of people.

As much as I'd like to aslo gripe about having to change to Windows 11 there's something we all got to remember: things change. I loved windows xp & hated vista, but the problem was that xp could not handle the larger hard drives. xp service pack 1 was capped at 137Gb & the best later versions could do was 2 tb. Like wise I hated leaving windows 7 to 10 but I had to because I needed the VR support.

So what I'm thinking is that my next computer will probably be windows 11 to future proof my stuff for what's in the pipeline. Hope it's worth it though...

I also wanted Windows 7 back after the upgrade from 8.1 to 10. Not as good as XP in some ways, but Windows 10 is too much like the garbage it replaced. (FYI Microsoft lied about their reason for skipping the number 9.)

It's a security feature that was implemented relatively recently, that has undergone major revisions, so many computers have no TPM or TPM 1.2, where the official requirement for W11 was to be 2.0. In some cases, a 2.0 TPM module can be purchased and plugged into the motherboard, but not all.
Some people have it but don't know they have to go into their BIOS and turn it on.... For those who don't know and want to check... Go to your BIOS and look for:

TPM, Intel Platform Trust Technology (IPTT), or AMD CPU fTPM.

Enable it...

I had no idea there were multiple versions of Windows 98. Were there any other differences?

It was a batch file written by a coding genius to remove all the unnecessary programs that Windows bogged down their OS with. The programmer that wrote it, unofficially, did it because Bill Gates claimed that MS wouldn't operate without IE, Word and other Microsoft programs. Firefox was called Navigator back then and was a much better browser.

In the Win 95-98 era I was mostly using Windows NT because video editing software minimum requirements made 95 and 98 mostly unusable.
I finally broke down and got a Win 95 machine for home but it was like a toy.
When we invested in new NT hardware at the studio, I dragged a couple of old NT machines home and had a better experience.
When XP came out, I installed it on one of the NT boxes and to my surprise, it said "something something Windows NT Build something or other".
Why the Hell didn't they just broaden NT and just release it to the wider public?*
*Yes, I've heard the responses about 98 being more consumer friendly and cheaper before, I don't buy the arguments. I think M$ made a whole new set of problems for themselves.

But like others, Service Pack 2 & 3 cured a lot of the XP ills, plus I was able to use Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas on XP.
I quickly began to actually like Sony Vegas a lot more than Adobe Premiere.
I'm mostly AVID and Da Vinci Resolve now, but I still fire up Vegas from time to time for quick and dirty projects.

Truth is, I'll probably never bother upgrading from the Resolve build I have now, or the AVID, because at my age (64) I am not getting enough high paying work to justify it....I'm just not chasing those kinds of jobs anymore and I have a small but steady client list who have stuck with me because I understand their needs and they understand my rate card.
I dread the thought of becoming decrepit in my trade but I honestly cannot imagine hitting 70+ and still keeping up.
I have a nephew who is a rising star in the business and he still asks me for mentorship but there's been at least two or three instances where I frankly told him that he already knows more than I do.
He is way more qualified on Adobe After Effects and Maya than I've ever been, or at the very least, he's FASTER.

The day will surely come when he is faster, smarter and better all around than I am and I'll sound like an antique crackpot to him.
Oh well, hey at least I didn't hang it all up when everything switched from videotape editing to nonlinear computer editing.
I knew a ton of middle aged editors who left the business when that happened, and I knew more who left when everything switched from film and analog videotape acquisition to HD video on storage cards.
I on the other hand, survived the "apocalypse" and adapted to all of that, a real "recovering analog dinosaur".

And thus I might also keep my Windows 10 build until official M$ End of Life, which I don't think will happen for at least another decade.
When I am seventy-four, I wonder how important getting a new machine will be for me, it depends on how functional I will be ten years from now, if I am still even above ground.

It's never been the case that they arbitrarily won't support CPU's perfectly capable of running the OS.

I remember a whole lot of illegal operation errors when 98 first released, but the SE (Second Edition) fixed a lot of the stability issues and added some features, and is the one most people probably remember fondly.

Fair enough, but I don't recall such issues. Maybe the HW I was running at the time (forgive me I don't recall) didn't suffer from them. 🤷‍♂️
Lost to the sands of time I guess.

Some people have it but don't know they have to go into their BIOS and turn it on.... For those who don't know and want to check... Go to your BIOS and look for:

TPM, Intel Platform Trust Technology (IPTT), or AMD CPU fTPM.

Enable it...
What advantages are there in enabling this? The name itself sounds rather ominous.

In the Win 95-98 era I was mostly using Windows NT because video editing software minimum requirements made 95 and 98 mostly unusable.
I finally broke down and got a Win 95 machine for home but it was like a toy.
When we invested in new NT hardware at the studio, I dragged a couple of old NT machines home and had a better experience.
When XP came out, I installed it on one of the NT boxes and to my surprise, it said "something something Windows NT Build something or other".
Why the Hell didn't they just broaden NT and just release it to the wider public?*
*Yes, I've heard the responses about 98 being more consumer friendly and cheaper before, I don't buy the arguments. I think M$ made a whole new set of problems for themselves.

But like others, Service Pack 2 & 3 cured a lot of the XP ills, plus I was able to use Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas on XP.
I quickly began to actually like Sony Vegas a lot more than Adobe Premiere.
I'm mostly AVID and Da Vinci Resolve now, but I still fire up Vegas from time to time for quick and dirty projects.

Truth is, I'll probably never bother upgrading from the Resolve build I have now, or the AVID, because at my age (64) I am not getting enough high paying work to justify it....I'm just not chasing those kinds of jobs anymore and I have a small but steady client list who have stuck with me because I understand their needs and they understand my rate card.
I dread the thought of becoming decrepit in my trade but I honestly cannot imagine hitting 70+ and still keeping up.
I have a nephew who is a rising star in the business and he still asks me for mentorship but there's been at least two or three instances where I frankly told him that he already knows more than I do.
He is way more qualified on Adobe After Effects and Maya than I've ever been, or at the very least, he's FASTER.

The day will surely come when he is faster, smarter and better all around than I am and I'll sound like an antique crackpot to him.
Oh well, hey at least I didn't hang it all up when everything switched from videotape editing to nonlinear computer editing.
I knew a ton of middle aged editors who left the business when that happened, and I knew more who left when everything switched from film and analog videotape acquisition to HD video on storage cards.
I on the other hand, survived the "apocalypse" and adapted to all of that, a real "recovering analog dinosaur".

And thus I might also keep my Windows 10 build until official M$ End of Life, which I don't think will happen for at least another decade.
When I am seventy-four, I wonder how important getting a new machine will be for me, it depends on how functional I will be ten years from now, if I am still even above ground.
The reason (imo) they didn't market NT to the home crowd (and subsequently 2000 Pro) was because they didn't want it running on DOS, so it used a new kernel. DOS software didn't work on it. People at home demanded backwards compatibility with their library of DOS games and software, so they got 95, 98 and ME instead. XP, being also built on the NT kernel, solved this problem with compatibility mode, dosbox, and the fact most people had moved on from DOS software by then.

The reason (imo) they didn't market NT to the home crowd (and subsequently 2000 Pro) was because they didn't want it running on DOS, so it used a new kernel. DOS software didn't work on it. People at home demanded backwards compatibility with their library of DOS games and software, so they got 95, 98 and ME instead. XP, being also built on the NT kernel, solved this problem with compatibility mode, dosbox, and the fact most people had moved on from DOS software by then.

I think you're right.
Me, I just wanted to be able to edit as fast and clean as my competitors and didn't care about all the DOS hobby stuff.
In fact, I probably only barely mustered up enough DOS competency to push the right buttons when needed on a couple of programs that weren't even video related.

What advantages are there in enabling this? The name itself sounds rather ominous.
Can't run Win 11 without turning it on..

The confusion is MS is saying it has to be Tpm 2.0
But now the reports are maybe now the older more common V1.2 might work.. Either way it has to be enabled...

It was a batch file written by a coding genius to remove all the unnecessary programs that Windows bogged down their OS with. The programmer that wrote it, unofficially, did it because Bill Gates claimed that MS wouldn't operate without IE, Word and other Microsoft programs. Firefox was called Navigator back then and was a much better browser.

Firefox is a totally different browser made by Mozilla.

I miss the pre-Quantum versions of Firefox. Unfortunately many of my favorite add-ons lacked the API requirement (whatever that is) they added for security reasons.

Once the NT platform adopted the new Windows 95 shell, that was it for me. Ran that at home, being an atypical home user (IT professional). The stability and kernel isolation from flawed drivers and app software was just hard to beat.
While, true, some games on NT didn't run, most would with the compatibility features MS added shortly after the shell update.

The result of this merging was Windows 2000 (along with a host of other improvements) which was a mainstay for a really long time.

I found a program that allowed me to play DOS games, Descent, Doom, Quake, etc on XP+. I loved those old first-person shooters.

Can't run Win 11 without turning it on..

The confusion is MS is saying it has to be Tpm 2.0
But now the reports are maybe now the older more common V1.2 might work.. Either way it has to be enabled...
What other advantages beyond this? I'm pretty perfectly happy with the Windows 10 that I have now.
What would compel me to move to Windows 11 and be forced to enable TPM? (Presently either missing from the mobo or disabled)

I found a program that allowed me to play DOS games, Descent, Doom, Quake, etc on XP+. I loved those old first-person shooters.
Probably dosbox, it's the go to for DOS emulation on Windows and has been forever. It's even pre-bundled with a lot of games now so they work without any trouble.

This site is a gold mine.

Back
Top Bottom