• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to launch Windows 11?

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As soon as I get used to a program, browser, or OS, they upgrade it with more useless features and bugs. I wish they didn't upgrade products so often, except for security issues.
I hope the Windows upgrade isn't anytime soon.

I don't mind as long as it's a free optional upgrade from your current Windows 10 license and Windows 10 is still fully supported at least 5 years after the launch.

As soon as I get used to a program, browser, or OS, they upgrade it with more useless features and bugs. I wish they didn't upgrade products so often, except for security issues.

I don't know how many times I've complained about Microsoft's assumed power to co-op our computer systems by add-ons and modifications under the guise of "updating."

I've argued that they should not be allowed to do this, because the point of an "operating system" is supposed to be allowing ME, the "end user" to operate a computer I've purchased. Not for Microsoft to add all sorts of "new things" without their original process of letting us choose what we want and don't want.

That the ONLY thing they should be doing is adding any new cyber-security protections against hackers finding "backdoors" or other routes into our OS.

That any other "upgrades" without consent should be limited to the function of OS itself, but not including all sorts of things they "assume" we might need. All other add-ons should be listed and then added with owner consent only. That's how I recall it used to be in "olden times" anyway, pre-Windows 10.

In my case one example if that I have never owned a "smartphone," so NONE of the upgrades for that "communication system" are necessary on my desktop gaming computer. Yet they just keep adding things on.

If the government wasn't in their pocket, and our Congress Critters were really concerned about our needs, they could easily regulate what Microsoft can and cannot do when it comes to possible invasions of our privacy rights.

That will be one effort I could praise, regardless of which Party got it done.

Last edited:

Welp, guess it was time for me to get a new mobo, proc and RAM anyway.
I've had zero issues so I don't mind. I got my money's worth and more already and I'll just keep updating Win 10 till I am ready to pull the trigger on something new.
I still won't give a damn about the much ballyhooed "rounded corners and glass like appearance"...that's just more "We wannabe more like Mac" which makes no sense since it's NOT a Mac.
My Chrysler doesn't want to be a Chevy, so why would I want my computer OS to be like the kind I didn't buy?

See, I have a habit when I get a new OS...first thing I do is go to the advanced properties and instead of

"LET WINDOWS DECIDE WHAT'S BEST FOR MY COMPUTER"

I always pick

"ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE"

and that makes all that nonsense go bye-bye anyway.

Windows 10 is very stable, windows has a thing of every other release being garbage, windows 8 was garbage, windows vista was garbage, but windows 7 and 10 were damn good, xp was damn good by service pack 3 but sucks in pack 2 and earlier, prior to sp3 the reason it was deemed good was because me was so bad the bar did not have to go very high to be an improvement.

Given the history, likely 11 will be bug ridden, and by the time they have the bugs worked out it will be releasing the next version, this is what happened with vista, by the time bugs were worked out win 7 came out, win 7 was literally just an improved unf&*ked windows vista, but vista had such a bad rep from early adoption that almost the same os with a different name was a smash hit even though it was the same base system. They could have updated vista to be what 7 was but the pr damage was done, and starting over with a new title helped win the masses.

Well, I won't be getting W11 anytime soon. It requires TPM 2.0 and my old 4th gen i7 Dell only has 1.2. While some PC's with TPM 1.2 can be upgraded to 2.0, mine cannot.

Workaround.

That's good to know, if the CPU requirement I read about on a link from that page isn't stone (8th gen Intel, 2000 series Ryzen.)

I believe there will be an October Windows 10 stable update called 21H2 that will be supported until 2024/25 - meaning you won't have to serve as a Beta-tester for the new Windows 11.

I might upgrade my gaming machine. It has a gen4 nvme and a RTX card, so it can take good advantage of the new storage mechanism.

I downloaded win 11 Beta a couple of weeks ago to my desktop.. . Except for the the Start Menu being different 11 really isn't much different than 10....So far...

I was just about to post this.

Windows 8 was the all time worst.
windows has for ages been good only every other release, they seem to work on two releases at the same time with the a team working on one and the b team working on the other. This tends to release golden releases of windows followed by buggy garbage releases of windows.

First Time I really saw that pattern was when win 95 which was loved just like win 3.1, was replaced by win 98, which was garbage but was patched to be good, but then replaced by me which was garbage, but also had windows 2000 in the mix which is still the base for modern windows.

If I do not wait for the next release I will atleast wait a few patches, as new windows releases tend to have bugs in drivers and everything else screwing over users.

I've had every Windows since 95, EXCEPT ME and Win 8.... Vista was by far the worse I tried, it was a bloated mess.

10 was/is good... And like I said so far 11 is running fine. Stable, boots up quick, no BSOD..

I'm sure it's not done, MS being MS before they release the final version will add a bunch of nonsense to it..

I have been running 11 on my gaming laptop for a couple of weeks now, except for some minor UI annoyances (like not having task manager available while right clicking the task bar) it seems ok.

My OS of choice is still Mint though.

I have been running 11 on my gaming laptop for a couple of weeks now, except for some minor UI annoyances (like not having task manager available while right clicking the task bar) it seems ok.

My OS of choice is still Mint though.
I duel boot this PC with Mint... I mostly use Windows, but I like Mint... Sometimes the Wifi pisses me off, Linux never seems to get that straight, but Mint works quite well.

I duel boot this PC with Mint... I mostly use Windows, but I like Mint... Sometimes the Wifi pisses me off, Linux never seems to get that straight, but Mint works quite well.
If Linux could do gaming well (and proton is ok, but not great), I would switch everything over.

I don't mind the updates, but I wish they were more frequent and small, and didn't dramatically change the user interface. The change from XP -> Vista, or from windows 7 -> windows 8 was too dramatic and confusing. Does any other OS have these big updates like Windows? macOS, iOS, android and the linux variants all seem to do it better than windows. It sounds like windows 11 isn't a big change from windows 10, so maybe microsoft learned something.

I don't mind the updates, but I wish they were more frequent and small, and didn't dramatically change the user interface. The change from XP -> Vista, or from windows 7 -> windows 8 was too dramatic and confusing. Does any other OS have these big updates like Windows? macOS, iOS, android and the linux variants all seem to do it better than windows. It sounds like windows 11 isn't a big change from windows 10, so maybe microsoft learned something.
As much as I'd like to aslo gripe about having to change to Windows 11 there's something we all got to remember: things change. I loved windows xp & hated vista, but the problem was that xp could not handle the larger hard drives. xp service pack 1 was capped at 137Gb & the best later versions could do was 2 tb. Like wise I hated leaving windows 7 to 10 but I had to because I needed the VR support.

So what I'm thinking is that my next computer will probably be windows 11 to future proof my stuff for what's in the pipeline. Hope it's worth it though...

Been beta testing Windows 11 for 2 months or so and very few issues.

The recent issue I had yesterday was using an external drive reader. I have several old hard drives that I connect via a reader and Windows 11 could not recognize anything. Worked fine on Windows 10 and my Mac. I suspect it will be fixed before launch.

Other than that, the changes are so so.

Start menu, that 90% never use, has been optimized to show most used stuff and recently added as default. The location of the start button has moved to the shitty "Apple type" location, but thankfully it can be move back to its original place with a few clicks. At least they did not copy the horrible Apple launch thingy....

Notifications are much better and that whole area has been optimized. It is actually kinda useful now.

Games work as good as before, which is important for most people.

Settings has had another major overhaul, but there is still legacy (windows 7) settings for some things. It is a slow, but needed change and more and more can be done in the"new" settings.

Still waiting for the changes promised to the email app and so on... Might have happened during the night as there was a major update of some sort.

Also looking forward to use Android apps on Windows.

Overall Windows 11 won't be a big "deal" as going from 7 to 8 or 10. The visual changes are minor relatively speaking and visual changes is always what people complain about.

Unless they pull that stunt with Win10 getting some sort of annoying push to Win11 I see no reason to all of a sudden jump into the next OS probably full of bugs, exploits, and who knows what else.

Let them work out a thing or two before making that move.

The only issue I had with the Windows 11 Beta was my VPN wouldn't work... WIN 11 DID an update a few days ago, now the VPN works...

So no issues now.

I had explorer.exe not work last week and needed to do a registry edit. Its fine now.

There is a problem at the moment with the latest build, where the CPU is being hit hard even on idle. I was shocked when my in game temps were near 90 degrees C when they normally were in the 70s.

It seems that not only is a specific service using 15% CPU constantly even on idle, but the fans are not kicking in when Windows is running the fan system. Even now running my fans at 100%, I am still 5-10 degrees above normal, with spikes hitting 70-75 degrees C.. but that is at least better than before the fans were running at 100%.. 99 degrees spikes.

Lots of reports on the Insider Forums, including my detailed one.. so hopefully they will rush out a fix soonish. Else it is back to Windows 10 for me as I cant live without me games!

Back
Top Bottom