• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Message to all fellow Liberals: Please support Terri Schiavo's right to live

anomaly said:
Why do you on the right believe the husband is doing this then? If it is not because of the woman's own wishes, then why? If he just some evil liberal who is mistaken in his beliefs? It doesn't make any sense! Why are you on the right so willing to save the life of a brain-damaged (severely brain damaged-there you go Batman) woman's life, while at the same time applauding the deaths of so many young people in Iraq (by applauding, I mean supporting a war effort that has killed 1500 young men and women)? This is the hypocrisy of the 'pro-life' position.
Everything with you is 'the war in Iraq.' If you are so concerned about men and women dying in a 'senseless' war, why do you feel there is so much to be gained by having this woman die?

Batman said:
Everything with you is 'the war in Iraq.' If you are so concerned about men and women dying in a 'senseless' war, why do you feel there is so much to be gained by having this woman die?
I haven't said there is anything to be gained. My point is that the man is simply following his wife's wishes. I see nothing wrong with that. Is it a man 'murdering a woman', or is a husband fulfilling the wishes of his wife? Depends on one's perspective, and the only perspective that matters is the husband's. She gave her life to him, I'm sure they know each other better than anyone else, and so I support the man's decision. This is unlike war, where a man sends a man he doesn't know overseas to fight a war that benefits the rich. In Terri's case, nothing is 'benefitted' either way.

anomaly said:
My point is that the man is simply following his wife's wishes.
According to him alone.
anomaly said:
Is it a man 'murdering a woman'
Depriving her of what all of us need on a daily basis, yes.
anomaly said:
This is unlike war, where a man sends a man he doesn't know overseas to fight a war that benefits the rich.
I think you're getting tired again.

Batman said:
According to him alone.

Depriving her of what all of us need on a daily basis, yes.

I think you're getting tired again.
Yuo make no sense! If you were following your wife's wishes (according to 'him alone'? What? Who else would she tell her wishes to?), and then the government tried to stop you, how would you feel? You'd be pretty angry! The man is simply following his wife's wishes. What other explanation is there? Is the man simply evil? Perhaps you yourself need a nap, you raging fool.

anomaly said:
I haven't said there is anything to be gained. My point is that the man is simply following his wife's wishes.

I would gladly go to jail to fulfill my wifes wish were she in this situtation.

BTW, not all of us on the right are trying to keep her alive.

Stop and think for a second...

If your wife were in this situation, and you were beside her for eight years - 8 long years - begging and pleading until you finally realized that there is no hope. Would you not do what you could for her? ESPECIALLY if you had a discussion all those years ago about 'what if that happened to me'. As guardian you want to pull the plug - but some unknown entity is stopping it. All downhill from there. Your integrity is your motivation. The courts rule in your favor every time. Plus, you had several couples vouch to the courts that were/are your friends that your wife would have wanted this.

All of a sudden there are lies spread about you all over the nation about stuff that is completely non-existant. Out of the blue, your sister-in-law calls you abusive and that you possibly caused it!

It is very common for men to remarry after the death of thier spouse. Sometimes immediately. i.e Paul McCartney.

It's not so far fetched that the media snagged it up and ran with it to create emotions - emotions sell.

vauge said:
I would gladly go to jail to fulfill my wifes wish were she in this situtation.

BTW, not all of us on the right are trying to keep her alive.

Stop and think for a second...

If your wife were in this situation, and you were beside her for eight years - 8 long years - begging and pleading until you finally realized that there is no hope. Would you not do what you could for her? ESPECIALLY if you had a discussion all those years ago about 'what if that happened to me'. As guardian you want to pull the plug - but some unknown entity is stopping it. All downhill from there. Your integrity is your motivation. The courts rule in your favor every time. Plus, you had several couples vouch to the courts that were/are your friends that your wife would have wanted this.

All of a sudden there are lies spread about you all over the nation about stuff that is completely non-existant. Out of the blue, your sister-in-law calls you abusive and that you possibly caused it!

It is very common for men to remarry after the death of thier spouse. Sometimes immediately. i.e Paul McCartney.

It's not so far fetched that the media snagged it up and ran with it to create emotions - emotions sell.
I hope I haven't generalised too badly. You are, in this case, for the husband rather than the GOP? If so, it is good to know that some of you on the right are not driven by madness alone, and you have some logic.

Batman said:
I find it f-ing odd that someone who, according to the courts, is not of legal age, helped 'decide' whether someone lives or dies.

wow, you are a ****. it was a family decision and we all realized in the end that it was time to let her go. you attack me one more time...well, i will find somewhere else to go, cause i don't need this.

it should have been a personal decision for this family, but it should not be a political one, as the repubs are making it

anomaly said:
Yuo make no sense! If you were following your wife's wishes (according to 'him alone'? What? Who else would she tell her wishes to?), and then the government tried to stop you, how would you feel? You'd be pretty angry! The man is simply following his wife's wishes. What other explanation is there? Is the man simply evil? Perhaps you yourself need a nap, you raging fool.
Well, that important of a decision, I would tell more than one person - as I have. God forbid my wife and I were in an accident. She, being the only one I told, was killed, and I'm in a 'life support' situation. What then little guy?

Batman said:
Well, that important of a decision, I would tell more than one person - as I have. God forbid my wife and I were in an accident. She, being the only one I told, was killed, and I'm in a 'life support' situation. What then little guy?

I can see both sides of this argument. ShamMol, Batman is saying that the sole responsibility should not be to a person under age. (I think) I agree that this should be a family decision as ShamMol said.

Terri and her husband apparently DID talk to other couples about this type of event. It was in the first court about this years ago when the court first decided to pull the tube.

vauge said:
I can see both sides of this argument. ShamMol, Batman is saying that the sole responsibility should not be to a person under age. (I think) I agree that this should be a family decision as ShamMol said.

Terri and her husband apparently DID talk to other couples about this type of event. It was in the first court about this years ago when the court first decided to pull the tube.

it wasn't the sole responsibility and i don't appreciate being attacked for what my family decided

ShamMol said:
you attack me one more time...well, i will find somewhere else to go, cause i don't need this.
ShamMol said:
it wasn't the sole responsibility and i don't appreciate being attacked for what my family decided
Pointing out that food and water is a necessity for all human beings is an attack against you? Where did I say that YOUR family made the WRONG decision? If you're mad, and consider it an attack, because I think someone under the age of 18 should not help decide whether a person lives or dies - too bad.

Batman said:
Pointing out that food and water is a necessity for all human beings is an attack against you? Where did I say that YOUR family made the WRONG decision? If you're mad, and consider it an attack, because I think someone under the age of 18 should not help decide whether a person lives or dies - too bad.

please delete my account admin

I find it f-ing odd that someone who, according to the courts, is not of legal age, helped 'decide' whether someone lives or dies.
&

Ill find someplace better to go, i don't need this for a decision that was extremely painful for my family. It is not too bad, it was horrible and until you realize the feelings that go into that decision, you won't understand. So delete my account please.

Last edited:
ShamMol said:
please delete my account admin

&

Ill find someplace better to go, i don't need this for a decision that was extremely painful for my family. It is not too bad, it was horrible and until you realize the feelings that go into that decision, you won't understand. So delete my account please.
If you really think my opinion is an insult - I apoligize. I understand more than what you think.

Batman said:
That situation you desrcibe is nothing like this one. In this one, the husband is alive, and he apparently is simply following his wife's wishes. Would I do the same thing? It is totally irrelevant. It is the husband's decision and no one else's. Why do you, on the insanely emotional right (excluding that lone voice of reason, Vauge) think that he is doing this? And please, Batman, stop calling me 'little guy', if not, perhaps I shall find an appropriate nickname for you.

What she is going through is too much, I wouldn't want my wife going through a slow and miserable death, she agrees with me as well. This is just my opinion.

HighSpeed said:
What she is going through is too much, I wouldn't want my wife going through a slow and miserable death, she agrees with me as well. This is just my opinion.
I cannot say I completely agree with the man either, but I am in no place to judge him, let alone use the US congress to stop him! He is doing what he thinks his wife would have wanted, I never spoke to his wife, so I am ignorant as to his reasoning. He is obviously doing what his wife told him, and for that we should honor this man rather than criticize him. Again, why else would he do this?

He is obviously doing what his wife told him, and for that we should honor this man rather than criticize him. Again, why else would he do this?
There is some speculation that it is for the money, or he had something to do with her condition. I don't think that is the issue, however. Euthanasia isn't legal in Florida that I know of, but aside from that ,the method of starvation and dehydration seems very inhumane. If we did that to a terrorist, there would be hell to pay.

Squawker said:
There is some speculation that it is for the money, or he had something to do with her condition. I don't think that is the issue, however. Euthanasia isn't legal in Florida that I know of, but aside from that ,the method of starvation and dehydration seems very inhumane. If we did that to a terrorist, there would be hell to pay.
He was offered $10,000,000 apparently to disobey his wife's wishes, he seems to be just committed. And I do not think there is any conspiracy theory he like 'maybe he did this to her'. Conspiracy, even when pro-lifers come up with it, is usually wrong. I, too, see how she is being killed as a bit cruel, but again I am in no place to judge the man. Perhaps he's tried to use other ways, who knows.

anomaly said:
And please, Batman, stop calling me 'little guy', if not, perhaps I shall find an appropriate nickname for you.
I thought you already did -

* idiot
* asshole

along with these characterizations -

* insane members of the GOP
* driven by madness

Out of respect to you, no more "little guy" anomaly. But respect is a two way street.

Batman said:
I thought you already did -

* idiot
* asshole

along with these characterizations -

* insane members of the GOP
* driven by madness

Out of respect to you, no more "little guy" anomaly. But respect is a two way street.
Agreed, but note that most of the things I said of you were well deserved.

anomaly said:
Agreed, but note that most of the things I said of you were well deserved.
Okay little guy - :fu

Batman said:
Okay little guy - :fu
Idiot. I suppose I have no need for namecalling, actually, since you never post anything you can back up with facts. Now how 'bout we end this namecalling and actually debate? Now I know that logical debate is largely foreign to you, but I simply ask you to try.

anomaly said:
Idiot. I suppose I have no need for namecalling, actually, since you never post anything you can back up with facts. Now how 'bout we end this namecalling and actually debate? Now I know that logical debate is largely foreign to you, but I simply ask you to try.
"Hell is the impossiblity of reason."
How can I debate with one who has no reasonable thought. But I do love getting you riled up.

Drudge has audio of
"Terri Schiavo 'responding to her father on Friday, immediately following the removal of her feeding tube'"

The link is receiving a lot of hits - you may get a down server for a while.
[url]http://www.frc.org/DL/20-MAR-05__EF05C38_0003AAE3-2D4F-123E-84811014AC14F856.mp3[/URL]

Batman said:
"Hell is the impossiblity of reason."
How can I debate with one who has no reasonable thought. But I do love getting you riled up.

Drudge has audio of
"Terri Schiavo 'responding to her father on Friday, immediately following the removal of her feeding tube'"

The link is receiving a lot of hits - you may get a down server for a while.
[url]http://www.frc.org/DL/20-MAR-05__EF05C38_0003AAE3-2D4F-123E-84811014AC14F856.mp3[/URL]
I have no reasonable thought? First off, I am not the one here who is a pro-Bush guy! Second, everything you say is driven by emotion, your link description here is a perfect example. I look forward to an actual debate with you, about anything you like. Make your thread now, and we will have a real debate, instead of this useless namecalling.

Back
Top Bottom