• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Memphis Police Incident

I reject the premise that just because the perpetrators and victim were all Black that "there was no race involved." there's a ton of data to suggest that when when PoC become ****ing cops they brutalize minorities more (see the ****ing Border Patrol).

But the reality is even white folk would benefit from law enforcement of all stripes being less out of control.

AS a former resident of Memphis when I was a kid, I do hope nothing happens beyond legal, peaceful protesting.

4 of 5 out on bail should NOT be the case.
Ambulance chaser Ben Crump only hurts the parents.

It's now 5/5 out on bond. Two had a bond of $350,000 and the other three $250,000.

Have you actually read the charging documents? It’s clear that you have not.

No one has been charged for using force against Breonna Taylor.

Someone is in denial of the facts, but I think you are using projection, when determining who is.
You are in denial

"U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that the Department of Justice has filed charges against four former and current Louisville police officers in connection with the death of Breonna Taylor. The charges include civil rights offenses, unlawful conspiracies, unconstitutional use of force and obstruction offenses."

Those who saw George Halliday’s video of the officers brutally beating Rodney king had a realistic expectation of a guilty verdict, as did much of the country.
First off, the George Halliday video did not start at the beginning of the encounter, so nobody should have made a conclusion only off of a smaller part of the facts. Secondly, the news media for over a year continually played only edited versions of the Halliday video; the most dramatic parts aimed at getting people to watch the news. Left out was the part in the video showing King charging at the officers and threatening to swing at them. Therefore anyone expecting for a verdict not based on all of the facts a jury would be deciding on, is not a measure of what the actual facts really were.

The group of lawyers where I worked were positive of a guilty verdict.
The lawyers and cops I know were skeptical of a slam dunk. Most predicted partial acquittals, or convicted of lesser included offenses within the charges.

The change of venue to conservative Simi Valley in Ventura County put the verdict in the hands of those who evidently thought the LAPD could do no wrong,
WRONG! Every person in the USA is entitled to a fair trial. A change of venue is a standard right for any defendant where it may be unlikely they can get a fair and impartial jury. But you already said it here. Based on the Halliday video (the one played over and over and over), and the expectation for guilt (including your lawyer friends who did not keep an open mind), then it was perfectly appropriate for the a judge to grant a change of venue; the defendants were entitled to a fair jury.
a jury who had never had interaction with the department. All officers involved in the beating were later found guilty in a civil case.

LAPD was not on trial, individual officers were on trial. Your comment here demonstrates your built in bias. A juror cannot bring bias into their decision.

And need I explain to you the vast difference in burden of proof in a civil case as compared to a criminal case?

Gates was attending a party the night of the verdict, and intentionally delayed his return to duty, allowing the situation to deteriorate — his final f-you to the City of Los Angeles. He creates the crisis and then walks away.
Gates asked for more overtime and more show of force prior to the verdict and he was lambasted for it. Mayor Bradly elected to play politics with the situation, he himself fueled the false expectations for a certain guilty verdict. I don't believe Gates handled that part well, but blame also belongs to Mayor Bradly.
Latasha Harlans was shot in back as she was leaving the store, after the store owner had grabbed her backpack, and then thrown a stool at the girl. She had the money for the juice in her hand.

Harlins had attempted to steal the juice, she took it off a shelf and placed in her backpack. Nobody does that who intends to pay for it. I don't care if she had money in her hand, she was old enough to know you don't attempt to conceal items until they are paid for. The store owner had more than a reasonable suspicion Harlins was stealing from her, and so she attempted to retrieve her property when Harlins struck the woman twice in the face.

Lots of public outcry for the slap on the wrist of the store owner.
It was not a slap on the wrist. The store owner was convicted of voluntary manslaughter. The DA could not prove that there was any intent to kill Harlins. The store owner screwed up, she was injured and scared after the beating; drew the gun and was negligent. That is not murder, that is involuntary manslaughter; the jury got that one correct.

Once again a young Black person dies due to their criminal and/or threatening behavior. How exhaustive a list on that need I provide for you? It does society no good, especially the Black community, to continue to excuse the type of behavior which ends up in these results. Be it Rodney King, George Floyd, Latasha Harlins, Eula Love, Michael Brown, and on and on.

There were Korean community leaders critical of the verdict, and were trying to repair relations between the Black and Korean communities.
Sure, many in the Korean community were scared and knew there would be a possibly violent response.

That is what goes on in that community. The constant drum beat that some Black people are victims, and they are entitled to act in ways the rest of us don't. That is what killed Latash Harlins, Flyod, Brown, and Love.

Just read this:

Police had said that Nichols was supposedly stopped for reckless driving, but Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis said early Friday morning an investigation and review of available camera footage had found "no proof" of that.

About 11:30 pm eastern on the Stephanie Ruhle.
I was upset she did not challage this but instead went to commercial and then new segment.
There are only 3 shows left on MSNBC ill watch. If this keeps up, I'll be down to two.
I watched Stephanie Ruhle last night. She talked about police stopping people and then they die and it happens more often to balcks, but she said none of the other stuff.

I think we need to be slow to accuse cops of murder. If it is then that's something that has to be pursued. If not and it's something that happens in the course of an arrest where the suspect is violent, or will not give up a weapon, or in some cases flees then there needs to be an investigation as to whether proper conduct was followed.
I know this, if something bad happens to me or mine I'm calling the police for help.
Respect starts with respect, it's a two way street.
All of what you said is true and most times cops act accordingly, but there are times that they don't. I always give the citizen the benefit of the doubt. Especially a dead one. There was no need to beat to death a 150lb man who was running away. If you caught him, then throw his ass in jail, don't kill him.

I listened to the police chief this AM. She was candid and frank. It would not surprise me if we come to find out that this "special forces" unit was on some sort of power trip with their special status. It would help explain the apparent "wolf pack" mentality. Why would a special unit of 5 officers be involved in a traffic violation stop? I think they may have come to think they were indeed "special".

I reject the premise that just because the perpetrators and victim were all Black that "there was no race involved." there's a ton of data to suggest that when when PoC become ****ing cops they brutalize minorities more (see the ****ing Border Patrol).

But the reality is even white folk would benefit from law enforcement of all stripes being less out of control.
While I agree, public perception plays a heavy role here. By which I mean, if these officers had been white TN would have been wise to enlist the help of the National Guard. As is it still has the potential to be ugly.

All of what you said is true and most times cops act accordingly, but there are times that they don't. I always give the citizen the benefit of the doubt. Especially a dead one. There was no need to beat to death a 150lb man who was running away. If you caught him, then throw his ass in jail, don't kill him.
My understanding is that he was handcuffed through the worst of the beating. What human being does that to another human being. I think their was some very scary group think going on with them .

My understanding is that he was handcuffed through the worst of the beating. What human being does that to another human being. I think their was some very scary group think going on with them .
Yes, those policemen are savages. I wouldn't do that to a dog

Looking at his photos he appears to have a small build where as all but one of the ex officers have a larger build. If the five couldn't get him under control without beating him into submission they never should have had that job to begin with.

If this part is true it is as inhuman as kneeling on a handcuffed, face down man's neck until he's dead.

Given that one of the charges is "Aggravated Kidnapping", I suspect the video may show either there was no probable cause to perform the traffic stop, or no legal reason to perform the arrest taking the victim into custody.

The best part of all this? Tonight the cops in Memphis (& I suspect elsewhere), are thinking very hard & carefully in how they interact with their citizenry tonight!
Based on what has been already been reported about these officers, they appear to have been part of high crime task force in Memphis designed to deal with problems of violent crime, gangs, etc in parts of that community. Officers who patrol around in unmarked vehicles looking for potential criminals before those criminals act. These task forces are not new, but they are NOT out looking for minor traffic violations. These are not traffic cops, not even normal patrol officers handling regular calls.

Any cop can at will observer something to justify a legal traffic stop to use as a pretext. Any one of us who drives will do something that a cop can use to stop us, and that is probably how this kicked off.

Imo, it is wrong to refer to this as an incident. At it's very foundation, it is a violent crime.
I’ll be sure to check with you before I start a thread in the future.

/s

I’ll be sure to check with you before I start a thread in the future.

/s
That wasn't a criticism, because it was an incident. I just think we already know enough about it to call it worse.

Be well.

So at least a couple of these guys were members of the Scorpion unit which it sounds like they are generally in unmarked vehicles. I'm wondering if one of the unmarked vehicles made this traffic stop and after pulling over he began to doubt if they were in fact cops. That could account for his trying to run.

This article mentions another encounter with the Scorpion unit and it sounds like they're pretty aggressive by nature.

In the wake of Mr Nichols' death, one local man Cornell McKinney told a Memphis-area TV network that he had a tense encounter with the unit on 3 January, just days before the incident involving Mr Nichols.

Mr McKinney alleges that the officers - who were travelling in unmarked vehicles - threatened to "blow his head off", pointed a weapon at his head and accused him of carrying drugs.

He complained to the Memphis Police Department after the incident, but says he has not heard anything back.

I watched Stephanie Ruhle last night. She talked about police stopping people and then they die and it happens more often to balcks, but she said none of the other stuff.

Her guests did. I was upset, as I posted, that she did not call them out on it.
You clearly did not watch.

Looking at his photos he appears to have a small build where as all but one of the ex officers have a larger build. If the five couldn't get him under control without beating him into submission they never should have had that job to begin with.
Exactly

Then why no burinng riots in Memphis? Do southerners just have more class than the Somalian yankees up north?

Her guests did. I was upset, as I posted, that she did not call them out on it.
You clearly did not watch.
I watched, maybe I missed that part, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. He probably has a reason to think that since prior to this incident, police were not immediately fired. No need to get all upset over people's emotions

About an hour and a half until they release the video. It's multiple cameras from different perspectives I think, and combined is over an hour long. Nobody is watching beginning to end before coming to their conclusions.

I watched, maybe I missed that part, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. He probably has a reason to think that since prior to this incident, police were not immediately fired. No need to get all upset over people's emotions

Yes, he sells black victimization.
I really think he does the people he seeks to lead a very big disservice.
As I said, smack dab in the middle of the show. He was a well educated big burly black man. Very well spoken. Both of his "points" were obviously not in the least objective but rather pontificating from victimization.

Like I said, I my neighborhood everyone got beat by the police once cuffed. Color played no part.
And as to the black cops being fired but white would not be. Come on. Each incident is different, each department different.
peace

Back
Top Bottom