• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Memphis Police Incident

Why are you asking me questions when you haven’t even read the documents? Stop being dishonest, go read them and tell me where I’m wrong.

You simply are ignorant and haven’t read of these and when I explain them to you then you deny it and try to argue terms you don’t understand.

Let’s explain this to you again. NO ONE WAS CHARGED FOR SHOOTING BREONNA TAYLOR and if you can prove that’s a lie quote an indictment.
You have no idea what unconstitutional use of force is. Pathetic

Examples of police excessive force that may infringe on an individual’s civil rights:

• Hitting, kicking, or employing force onto an individual when they are restrained in handcuffs and compliant
  • Lethal force: shooting someone with a service weapon who does not pose an immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury to law enforcement officials or others
  • When an officer witnesses excessive use of force and fails to intervene despite having the opportunity to do so
But continue to live in you bigoted fantasyland.

so what FBI documents did you read. You continue to talk about your fantasy documents that you have not presented. Remember the grand jury trial is null and void now since the FBI pressed charges Now show me those documents

You have no idea what unconstitutional use of force is. Pathetic

Examples of police excessive force that may infringe on an individual’s civil rights:

• Hitting, kicking, or employing force onto an individual when they are restrained in handcuffs and compliant
  • Lethal force: shooting someone with a service weapon who does not pose an immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury to law enforcement officials or others
  • When an officer witnesses excessive use of force and fails to intervene despite having the opportunity to do so
Again, no one has been charged for use of force against Breonna Taylor, which you would know if you read the charging documents
But continue to live in you bigoted fantasyland.
Blah blah blah this is not relevant to this case
so what FBI documents did you read. You continue to talk about your fantasy documents that you have not presented. Remember the grand jury trial is null and void now since the FBI pressed charges
The FBI doesn’t press charges, the US Attorneys office does
Now show me those documents
Now you want to see them? Just look it up.

But you can read the press release from the Justice department

Of the four officers charged only Hankison was at the raid, and Hankison didn’t shoot Taylor. His bullets missed wildly and hit another apartment (but didn’t injure anyone) frankly this claim is legally weak and he’ll probably be acquitted. He already was at trial in Kentucky.

The two officers that shot Taylor are not facing any charges, and the other three officers charged, were charged because of alleged defects in the search warrant affidavit. They weren’t even present at the raid.

Last edited:
Again, no one has been charged for use of force against Breonna Taylor, which you would know if you read the charging documents

Blah blah blah this is not relevant to this case

The FBI doesn’t press charges, the US Attorneys office does

Now you want to see them? Just look it up.

But you can read the press release from the Justice department

Of the four officers charged only Hankison was at the raid, and Hankison didn’t shoot Taylor. His bullets missed wildly and hit another apartment (but didn’t injure anyone) frankly this claim is legally weak and he’ll probably be acquitted. He already was at trial in Kentucky.

The two officers that shot Taylor are not facing any charges, and the other three officers charged, were charged because of alleged defects in the search warrant affidavit. They weren’t even present at the raid.
I told you that the federal grand jury is null and void due to the conspiracy charges and new charges that the DA hid from the grand jury. So why are you posting this. It is meaningless

I told you that the federal grand jury is null and void
Lol, no it’s not! They were indicted federally! If the federal grand jury was “null and void” there wouldn’t be any charges at all! Lol kid you don’t know enough to have this discussion! You can’t have federal charges without a federal grand jury indictment! Lol
due to the conspiracy charges and new charges that the DA hid from the grand jury.
Bro, wtf you talking about? I don’t think you have any clue what’s going on.
So why are you posting this. It is meaningless
So is your nonsense like “the federal grand jury is null and void” lol like read the bill of rights

Police brutality is police brutality their race is not important. Let's just all remember that by far and away most cops are doing their job every day to keep us safe at their own peril. These stories while horrific and unacceptable do not represent most police.
I agree with this but I think it's worth adding to that when we encounter the police violating our trust and abusing their power. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Lol, no it’s not! They were indicted federally! If the federal grand jury was “null and void” there wouldn’t be any charges at all! Lol kid you don’t know enough to have this discussion! You can’t have federal charges without a federal grand jury indictment! Lol

Bro, wtf you talking about? I don’t think you have any clue what’s going on.

So is your nonsense like “the federal grand jury is null and void” lol like read the bill of rights
The DOJ pressed new charges. Read the article I posted.

The DOJ pressed new charges. Read the article I posted.
No, the DoJ never previously filed a case. You’re not claiming anything I didn’t already address.

I don’t know why you feel such a need to keep saying things that are at least inaccurate and at worst lies

No, the DoJ never previously filed a case. You’re not claiming anything I didn’t already address.

I don’t know why you feel such a need to keep saying things that are at least inaccurate and at worst lies
Previously filed the case? What in the hell are you talking about. He filed charges against former and current officers. He does not have to previously file a case. The grand jury was flawed. So it is meaningless. But that’s what crooked cops and a crooked system does. That is why we now have a federal case

P
Previously filed the case? What in the hell are you talking about. He filed charges against former and current officers. He does not have to previously file a case. The grand jury was flawed.
Well if the grand jury was flawed there cannot be charges against the officers since all charges have to be preceded by a grand jury indictment. D’oh!
So it is meaningless. But that’s what crooked cops and a crooked system does. That is why we now have a federal case
???

bro, you’re looking really silly right now. It’s clear you have no idea how cases procedurally work, no idea why the charges were filed, what charges or filed, etc.

You don’t know anything, stop arguing like you do

P

Well if the grand jury was flawed there cannot be charges against the officers since all charges have to be preceded by a grand jury indictment. D’oh!

???

bro, you’re looking really silly right now. It’s clear you have no idea how cases procedurally work, no idea why the charges were filed, what charges or filed, etc.

You don’t know anything, stop arguing like you do
You don’t understand do you. Federal prosecution overrides the state grand jury

You don’t understand do you. Federal prosecution overrides the state grand jury
Well now you’re finally saying something that makes sense, but it’s largely irrelevant because I never stated otherwise, you spend this much time away from the thread and that’s all the research you were able to do?

I get a sense that a lot of folks here want the officers involved to be guilty, whether they are or not.

I don't see much about that running away business in the OP's linked article.

There is still no official cause of death.

And I am not so very sure of what I am seeing in those videos, but video number two is so unclear I can't see when all the beating took place. In fact, from 6:25 to 7:07 in video #2 there seems to be an officer in some sort of physical discomfort. I am sure I see him limping around.

Bottom line is I am not at all convinced this is such a case where an honorable, kind-hearted citizen was being so nice and for no reason was struck by officers. Print articles seem to be making this fella as being so cool. All smiles in all those pictures of him.

Okay, so I am reading more than once that there was three minutes of beating. Could somebody please point me to that evidence in one of the videos? I would appreciate that. That Vimeo software messed up this unit. Later I might pull out another unit and try again, but as of right now I get a sense right here in this small community of DebatePolitics that we have a kind of auto their guilty style of crowd anger being posted and I can't find what supports that idea.

Now, if the cops are guilty, fine; they get put before a judge and/or a jury. But we don't even know what the cause of death is yet. We don't know if this fella was intoxicated or worse. I am seeing all this how fantastic this guy was, yet he ran away.

Now if you folks want to go jamming me up for just wanting to know the facts and not going into an auto-rage mode; well, have at it. I don't know. Something smells a tad off. Sorry, I can't go with the crowd here on this one. Not yet, anyway.

No doubt it will emerge Nichols smoked a joint 10 years ago so this was justified.

My is a deputy in western Maine and he was really upset and after we watched the incident, I cried in was so violent.

Keeping up your schtick must be exhausting……
I cannot imagine going through life making everything about me, a white guy, being the victim somehow in every situation, no matter what it is, yet there are people, like the poster you are replying to, that do exactly that.

Video wasn't released when I wrote the comment you're responding to. Now that it's released, yeah, the cops INTENTIONALLY beat the snot out of a guy that, by all appearances, did nothing to deserve anything close to that treatment. That's what I was talking about with the "not yet proved" part of my comment.

Have you heard the police chief speak of this? I agree that full investigations of events should be required in most cases of a police caused death before anyone is charged etc. However in this case it appears the videos and audio was plenty to press charges. Evidently it is horrific.
The video has now been seen and it is indeed disgusting and horrific. Unfortunately what is still missing is the why? Why did the police officers pull this man over, violently pull him from his vehicle, and then not only fail to get cuffs on him but allow him to escape. Then they recapture him and proceed to beat him as the violent attack escalates. Why? Why did these things happen? These questions must be answered and remedies for this behavior must be implemented so it doesn't continue to happen. One of the biggest questions for me right now is why did this begin. It seems there must be a larger reason for the behavior of these officers than just some reckless driving. If that's all it took for the police officers to react in this manner then I suspect they never belonged on the force. It appears that no officers present at the two locations where the physical attacks occurred ever attempted to bring the beating to an end. Why not? Were these officers given a psychiatric eval before being hired? Memphis has become one of the most violent and most dangerous cities in the country. Gang related crime, drug crime and violent crimes have dramatically escalated over the last few decades. What has allowed this to happen?

What do you anticipate from the Memphis community since there seem to be no race involved?

They'll demand justice, in which they should. The part that makes this a possible powder keg among the community is if the 5 who were charged murder 2 are reduced and other cops who were also in part involved with negligence are not charged or fired. Right now, it's a tossup if this will greatly divide the community or greatly unit them - again, based on results of the trials, etc. Further comments from me in DP on this matter may violate DP rules.

Maybe a small thing but how about not call a police unit Scorpion

Yep, a bit like how I imagine an SAS unit would be kind of unwilling to be named Puppy Squad or part of the Kitten Brigade.

It doesn't really fit the mental image of hard as nails toughguys ready to bash down doors and create havok.

Back
Top Bottom