• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Says No Shame In Breakthrough COVID After Guilting The Unvaxxed For Months

We've required vaccines for various things for many decades. Nazis didn't vaccinate the Jews, your comparison to the holocaust is ridiculous and offensive.

You're being theatrical and whining because you're an angry anti-vax conspiracy theorist who openly states he couldn't care less about the 800,000 Americans who died in this pandemic.
:ROFLMAO: Hit a nerve did I? Don't like being called out for what you are, do you? If I offended you .... excellent, then I hit my mark. I mean to offend the likes of you. Better to be an angry conspiracy theorist than a card carrying Nazi.
Boo hoo, poor ol PirateMk1, society doesn't want to interact with him if he's not vaccinated so he throws a temper tantrum. Vaccines save lives. Science and facts are not on your side.
:ROFLMAO: the delusional contortions of fact you put yourself through as though its going to stick. Science doesn't have a side and neither do facts. Pity that everything you think you know is wrong. Whats do but what's a poor Nazi to do. I know, more Nazi'ing. Well..... at least until somebody comes around to collect you for your concentration camp. That would be some irony. ;)

:ROFLMAO: Hit a nerve did I? Don't like being called out for what you are, do you? If I offended you .... excellent, then I hit my mark. I mean to offend the likes of you. Better to be an angry conspiracy theorist than a card carrying Nazi.

:ROFLMAO: the delusional contortions of fact you put yourself through as though its going to stick. Science doesn't have a side and neither do facts. Pity that everything you think you know is wrong. Whats do but what's a poor Nazi to do. I know, more Nazi'ing. Well..... at least until somebody comes around to collect you for your concentration camp. That would be some irony. ;)
Ok, you keep preaching how vaccines make you stupid and requiring vaccines is like the holocaust, I'll be one of the non-morons who vaccinates himself and his kids to protect them from deadly diseases. Good luck in your anti vaxx endeavors, hopefully you don't die from tetanus.

Ok, you keep preaching how vaccines make you stupid and requiring vaccines is like the holocaust, I'll be one of the non-morons who vaccinates himself and his kids to protect them from deadly diseases. Good luck in your anti vaxx endeavors, hopefully you don't die from tetanus.
So you want me to leave you alone now?

I expected this to be the case.

That depends on how the discussion goes.

No, but its interesting that you came to that conclusion. I am curious why.

Incorrect, as I brought it up. You simply got offended and backed out before the discussion got to a point that I would consider to be more interesting.
By 'interesting' you mean a discussion where you've set the topics, terms and bounds. That's so one-sided, I think I'll simply pass as not being worth the effort.

How about you let me set the topics, terms and bounds? I'd consider that more interesting.

By 'interesting' you mean a discussion where you've set the topics, terms and bounds. That's so one-sided, I think I'll simply pass as not being worth the effort.
Incorrect. I suspect the bounds would be negotiated through a process of discovery during the conversation. The best conversations are like that from my experience. That is when I know someone is truly interesting and thoughtful, especially if I find their points challenging and ones for me to reflect on.
How about you let me set the topics, terms and bounds? I'd consider that more interesting.
That’s a misrepresentation of my point. See above.

I think you might have trouble with this because you are coming from a winning or losing mindset.

It's okay - I now understand it's okay for Americans to bow to some authoritarianism like police states but medical authoritarianism, the topic, is yucky. Wear a mask to save lives? Oh hell to the no! Lay down and shut up to a government official trying to illegally search you? Yes, please! 😄
Looks like you're going to stick with making shit up because you have nothing. How about you just quote yourself from this point forward, since you're only have a conversation with yourself.

Incorrect. I suspect the bounds would be negotiated through a process of discovery during the conversation. The best conversations are like that from my experience. That is when I know someone is truly interesting and thoughtful, especially if I find their points challenging and ones for me to reflect on.
Fair enough, and to some extent I might even agree, however, the framing you've presented isn't one that I would agree with, so we don't have a common starting point, a common set of assumptions, which we'd need first to frame the discussion. It is that common starting point, that common set of assumptions you were dismissing out of hand on one part, and trying to force your preferred ones.
That’s a misrepresentation of my point. See above.

I think you might have trouble with this because you are coming from a winning or losing mindset.
No, I'm really not. But I refuse to accept as fact people's response to TV coverage of an event or series of events. It is nothing more than their impression of what they saw on the TV, which is more often than not incomplete, biased, edited, even manipulated, hardly factual. A far more factual source is the results from the FBI investigations as rendered in criminal charges federal prosecutors have filed.

Fair enough, and to some extent I might even agree, however, the framing you've presented isn't one that I would agree with, so we don't have a common starting point, a common set of assumptions, which we'd need first to frame the discussion. It is that common starting point, that common set of assumptions you were dismissing out of hand on one part, and trying to force your preferred ones.
I am, of course going to dismiss anything that is inaccurate and so will most people. This condition you place makes no sense.
No, I'm really not. But I refuse to accept as fact people's response to TV coverage of an event or series of events. It is nothing more than their impression of what they saw on the TV, which is more often than not incomplete, biased, edited, even manipulated, hardly factual. A far more factual source is the results from the FBI investigations as rendered in criminal charges federal prosecutors have filed.
There tends to be paranoia in conservative circles that the media is biased. I suspect they cultivate that belief to avoid uncomfortable reality.

I am, of course going to dismiss anything that is inaccurate and so will most people. This condition you place makes no sense.
Things are often not what they might appear to be on TV. Surely that's a point that you'll agree with.
My position is that this applies to the TV coverage of the capitol security breach.
That position is further supported by a former federal prosecutor and facts, as presented in the citation that I've provided.

It is this position which is being called 'inaccurate', followed by 'I know what I saw on TV!'

There tends to be paranoia in conservative circles that the media is biased.
Not paranoia being based on observable fact. The mainstream media's (news and other) political bias is evident, so much so that it would be legitimate to consider it left promoting political propaganda, in many instances. An entire thread on this https://debatepolitics.com/posts/1074120370/

I suspect they cultivate that belief to avoid uncomfortable reality.
No, don't think so.

Things are often not what they might appear to be on TV. Surely that's a point that you'll agree with.
My position is that this applies to the TV coverage of the capitol security breach.
That position is further supported by a former federal prosecutor and facts, as presented in the citation that I've provided.

Given the number of people who got some pretty long sentences. The evidence clearly suggests major crimes were committed.
It is this position which is being called 'inaccurate', followed by 'I know what I saw on TV!'
Please show me where I mentioned TV anywhere in this thread. You are making up an argument to argue against without my help here.
Not paranoia being based on observable fact. The mainstream media's (news and other) political bias is evident, so much so that it would be legitimate to consider it left promoting political propaganda, in many instances. An entire thread on this https://debatepolitics.com/posts/1074120370/
Having a point of view does not automatically make something inaccurate. It actually has to be inaccurate.
No, don't think so.
Its pretty observable. Railing against the news, using terms like TDS, etc. Its all just avoid discussion where conservatives tend to be wrong about things but don't want to admit it.

Given the number of people who got some pretty long sentences. The evidence clearly suggests major crimes were committed.
No argument there. Nor is there any argument from me that those who committed those crimes deserve those long sentences. Once those people breached the capitol security border they were in the wrong, committed crimes they should be held accountable for. They should not, however, be charged for a crime they didn't commit, and I'm satisfied that they haven't. I also notice that there are no charges filed for sedition either.

Please show me where I mentioned TV anywhere in this thread. You are making up an argument to argue against without my help here.
Where else did you observe the events at the capitol that day? Were you in attendance?

Having a point of view does not automatically make something inaccurate. It actually has to be inaccurate.
Not anything I was challenging. I was asserting, with basis, that "The mainstream media's (news and other) political bias is evident", left leaning.

Its pretty observable. Railing against the news, using terms like TDS, etc. Its all just avoid discussion where conservatives tend to be wrong about things but don't want to admit it.
I have used TDS previously. Don't think that I had used it in this exchange with you though.

No argument there. Nor is there any argument from me that those who committed those crimes deserve those long sentences. Once those people breached the capitol security border they were in the wrong, committed crimes they should be held accountable for. They should not, however, be charged for a crime they didn't commit, and I'm satisfied that they haven't. I also notice that there are no charges filed for sedition either.

(y)
Where else did you observe the events at the capitol that day? Were you in attendance?
Mostly I get my news from NPR, BBC, and Al Jezeera. I have seen videos of both the insurrection part of it and also the people outside who didn't do much. The people outside are not really a focus, except for those who wish to use them to minimize the problems cause by the people inside. ** This is a generality, some people inside did nothing but trespass and smoke pot while some people outside did some horrific things, but in general, the split I mentioned works.
Not anything I was challenging. I was asserting, with basis, that "The mainstream media's (news and other) political bias is evident", left leaning.
Generally, it is my view that media that is slightly liberal tends to be the most accurate. Slightly conservative is the next most accurate. Hard left takes third and hard right has pretty much left reality behind. Bias itself is not a bad thing if that bias leads to an accurate understanding of the circumstances.
I have used TDS previously. Don't think that I had used it in this exchange with you though.
This was a general complaint about how people behave on the forum and their need to dismiss conversations using phrases like TDS do avoid having to think deeply about situations.

(y)

Mostly I get my news from NPR, BBC, and Al Jezeera. I have seen videos of both the insurrection part of it and also the people outside who didn't do much. The people outside are not really a focus, except for those who wish to use them to minimize the problems cause by the people inside. ** This is a generality, some people inside did nothing but trespass and smoke pot while some people outside did some horrific things, but in general, the split I mentioned works.
Fair, but from my view, anyone who breached the security barrier committed a crime, whether they were only walking around in the capital as a tourist (criminal trespass) or committed vandalism, destruction of public property, or did something else. The clear line here is the security barrier, cross it, and it's a clear crime, to be held accountable for.

But that doesn't mean that perceptions viewing the TV coverage of the event, and conclusions drawn from that, are a sufficient factual basis on which to project the crime of sedition or insurrection. I am sufficiently confident in the FBI's investigation and the cited federal prosecutor's 'sedition taskforce', along with federal prosecutor's experience and judgement, to have come the their conclusions whether accusations of sedition or insurrection were substantiated.

Generally, it is my view that media that is slightly liberal tends to be the most accurate. Slightly conservative is the next most accurate. Hard left takes third and hard right has pretty much left reality behind. Bias itself is not a bad thing if that bias leads to an accurate understanding of the circumstances.
Well, we might disagree here a bit. The most prevalent and most viewed media, i.e. the main stream media, appear to have been left for about 20 years, and moving ever harder left during that time. It is also rather suspicious that many of those 'news' broadcasts are echoing the same talking points of Democrats all the time, nearly verbatim. Polling results have shown that large swaths of the electorate polled over time have shown that credibility and trust in news media and media in general has fallen, and is perceived as politically biased in an ever increasing trend. The 'news' media (infotainment) are self inflicting damage to their own credibility, it would appear.

This was a general complaint about how people behave on the forum and their need to dismiss conversations using phrases like TDS do avoid having to think deeply about situations.
Fair, but there are some on this forum who's thinking doesn't appear to manage to get beyond TDS and the 'orange man bad' level. 🤷‍♂️

Fair, but from my view, anyone who breached the security barrier committed a crime, whether they were only walking around in the capital as a tourist (criminal trespass) or committed vandalism, destruction of public property, or did something else. The clear line here is the security barrier, cross it, and it's a clear crime, to be held accountable for.

But that doesn't mean that perceptions viewing the TV coverage of the event, and conclusions drawn from that, are a sufficient factual basis on which to project the crime of sedition or insurrection. I am sufficiently confident in the FBI's investigation and the cited federal prosecutor's 'sedition taskforce', along with federal prosecutor's experience and judgement, to have come the their conclusions whether accusations of sedition or insurrection were substantiated.
I believe it was an insurrection intended to stop a legitimate democratic process. It may be difficult to process in courts, but that’s not important
Well, we might disagree here a bit. The most prevalent and most viewed media, i.e. the main stream media, appear to have been left for about 20 years, and moving ever harder left during that time. It is also rather suspicious that many of those 'news' broadcasts are echoing the same talking points of Democrats all the time, nearly verbatim. Polling results have shown that large swaths of the electorate polled over time have shown that credibility and trust in news media and media in general has fallen, and is perceived as politically biased in an ever increasing trend. The 'news' media (infotainment) are self inflicting damage to their own credibility, it would appear.
There is a large liberal culture that you are seeing here. You think it’s too down when it’s bottom up.
Fair, but there are some on this forum who's thinking doesn't appear to manage to get beyond TDS and the 'orange man bad' level. 🤷‍♂️
There are a few, yes

I believe it was an insurrection intended to stop a legitimate democratic process.
There was no insurrection though.
Disruption / obstruction of congress? Sure.
Criminal trespass and destruction of public property? Also, yes.
Insurrection? Nope. Not according to the FBI investigation and charges filed by federal prosecutors, if the bar is set at what is legally required for charges of insurrection.
If the facts don't support a charge of insurrection then it is personal opinion, and worth exactly that, nada, as they are like assholes, everyone has one.

The events of the day are clearly a protest which descended into a riot, for which the rioters are being investigated and charged appropriately, which much different from the other riots across the country the previous 18 months or so, which Democrats supported with both words and money.
It may be difficult to process in courts, but that’s not important
No, that's important in determining the facts of the event which can be proven beyond a doubt in the crucible of the courts. Without that, it is little more than personal opinion and within doubt.

There is a large liberal culture that you are seeing here. You think it’s too down when it’s bottom up.
Meh. Far too many theoretical liberal / progressive public policy proposals have fallen flat on their faces when met with reality. The most recent examples have been the 'defund police' and 'no cash bail' public policy proposals which have in fact performed exactly as just depicted.

There are a few, yes
Oh come on, There are more than a few. I know, I have them on my ignore list, as I've not found any, to use your term, 'interesting' discussions to be had with them.

I don't watch CNN.
I don't either. Bold assumption from you that I do.

Are they telling you that there aren't any breakthrough cases?
Nobody is saying there aren't breakthrough cases.

That you can not pass or receive covid?
Nobody has said that from the conception of the damn vaccine.

Did you see all the fully vaccinated and pre tested cruise ships quarantining at sea because of covid 19 outbreaks.
Gee, it's almost like immunity wanes over time and Omicron has strong immune escape. Neither of which means the vaccine is ineffective.

Fairly conclusive evidence CNN and the government are lying.
No. What you have here is jumping to ridiculous conclusions that aren't warranted by the data. The entire conservative case against the vaccine is based on poor reading of the data, ignoring the data and going off anecdote, twisting the data, and completely faulty logic.

Vaccines may help but they do not work......unfortunately.
Vaccinated people, especially boostered are STILL, even in the midst of omicron, less likely to contract, spread, become hospitalized, and die from the virus. The vaccine works.

I don’t know if anyone else is seeing a slow shift in the Covid WH and media messaging. Maybe they will find another scapegoat to go after.
—-
Media outlets are scrambling to reassure people who received the COVID-19 shot that there is no shame in testing positive for the virus after corporate media overlords guilted red states, Republicans, and the COVID-positive unvaccinated for months.

The Washington Post published an articleon Thursday urging “self-compassion” for the vaccinated who are caught off guard by contracting COVID-19. Using anecdotes from people who “diligently” and “desperately” went the extra mile to keep away from the virus, the article laments how individuals who got the jab numerous times, masked up, and even stayed home feel like a failure because they fell ill.

**** the unvaccinated

There was no insurrection though.
Disruption / obstruction of congress? Sure.
Criminal trespass and destruction of public property? Also, yes.
Insurrection? Nope. Not according to the FBI investigation and charges filed by federal prosecutors, if the bar is set at what is legally required for charges of insurrection.
If the facts don't support a charge of insurrection then it is personal opinion, and worth exactly that, nada, as they are like assholes, everyone has one.
The legal prosecution and the fact of an insurrection are two different things. In this case it was a violent uprising against a legitimate government, regardless of what cases might be brought.
The events of the day are clearly a protest which descended into a riot, for which the rioters are being investigated and charged appropriately, which much different from the other riots across the country the previous 18 months or so, which Democrats supported with both words and money.
The fact that Jan 6 was against the federal government, which is the heart of the country in many ways, is why this is worse and its own category. The closest we can get from a place like portland was when a federal courthouse was the target.
No, that's important in determining the facts of the event which can be proven beyond a doubt in the crucible of the courts. Without that, it is little more than personal opinion and within doubt.
That is certainly a standard you want to keep asserting. I don't agree that its necessary.
Meh. Far too many theoretical liberal / progressive public policy proposals have fallen flat on their faces when met with reality. The most recent examples have been the 'defund police' and 'no cash bail' public policy proposals which have in fact performed exactly as just depicted.
That was more of a progressive thing (and one of the reasons I switched my label from progressive back to liberal). There is more than one camp in that group and there's a reason I already mentioned that the far left tends to be less accurate about things than the moderate left, when media bias was discussed (this principal I stated is true for more than just media). Personally, I think the far right and far left have both left reality in many ways at this point.
Oh come on, There are more than a few. I know, I have them on my ignore list, as I've not found any, to use your term, 'interesting' discussions to be had with them.
I would say, off the back of my head, about ten or so regular members. I admit I don't pay attention though, I tend to focus my attention on higher quality posters.

There's a big difference between something bad happening to you after you took precautions to prevent it and something bad happening to you when you consciously chose not to take steps to prevent it. I have a lot less compassion for people in the latter situation.

The legal prosecution and the fact of an insurrection are two different things. In this case it was a violent uprising against a legitimate government, regardless of what cases might be brought.
I think you, and many others, are over playing this, by a significant amount, for perceived political gain.

There was no insurrection. There was no sedition. There was no treason.
There was disruption / obstruction of congress.
There was destruction of property and criminal trespass.

Viewing something on TV is not the same as facts.
Forming an opinion on what you've seen on TV is not the same as facts.

In the end, how does one, or the public, determine or obtain the facts of the events that day?
Certainly not by impressions gathered from viewing TV coverage of those events.
The FBI investigation is tasked with determining the facts of the events that day. These are reflected in the charges federal prosecutors file, at least until there is additional facts and evidence released to the public.

The fact that Jan 6 was against the federal government, which is the heart of the country in many ways, is why this is worse and its own category.
Meh. It's arguable whether 'the heart of the country' is the 'federal government'. I would rather think that the 'the heart of the country' is the heart of the American electorate.

The closest we can get from a place like portland was when a federal courthouse was the target.
A good point. Interesting to note that there were no cries of insurrection. sedition or treason in this case, or at least that I can recall. Why do you think that this was the case in this instance?

That is certainly a standard you want to keep asserting. I don't agree that its necessary.
Then on which facts are you forming an opinion?
How do you obtain those facts on which you are forming your opinion?

That was more of a progressive thing (and one of the reasons I switched my label from progressive back to liberal). There is more than one camp in that group and there's a reason I already mentioned that the far left tends to be less accurate about things than the moderate left, when media bias was discussed (this principal I stated is true for more than just media).

Personally, I think the far right and far left have both left reality in many ways at this point.
I'm leaning very much so to agreeing with you on this point. Not sure where on the political spectrum I fall, being conservative with libertarian tendencies on many topics.

I would say, off the back of my head, about ten or so regular members. I admit I don't pay attention though, I tend to focus my attention on higher quality posters.
Fair enough. I tend to focus my attention on posters with which I can 'chew the fat' on news and political topics, and always try to leave room for 'we can agree to disagree' on any particular topic.
There is nothing better than to go through the exercise of formulating your opinion into verbiage, coherently expressing them, have them challenged, and defend them in reasonable discussion. It tends to burn away wrong assumptions and bring other perspectives into consideration.

I think you, and many others, are over playing this, by a significant amount, for perceived political gain.

There was no insurrection. There was no sedition. There was no treason.
There was disruption / obstruction of congress.
There was destruction of property and criminal trespass.

Viewing something on TV is not the same as facts.
Forming an opinion on what you've seen on TV is not the same as facts.

In the end, how does one, or the public, determine or obtain the facts of the events that day?
Certainly not by impressions gathered from viewing TV coverage of those events.
The FBI investigation is tasked with determining the facts of the events that day. These are reflected in the charges federal prosecutors file, at least until there is additional facts and evidence released to the public.
People can think what they want. I am not sure why I should care about that.
Meh. It's arguable whether 'the heart of the country' is the 'federal government'. I would rather think that the 'the heart of the country' is the heart of the American electorate.
It is indeed arguable, but at the end of the day, the federal government is the organizing principal that keeps us as one nation.
A good point. Interesting to note that there were no cries of insurrection. sedition or treason in this case, or at least that I can recall. Why do you think that this was the case in this instance?
Because it didn't threaten to take down the federal government as a whole.
Then on which facts are you forming an opinion?
How do you obtain those facts on which you are forming your opinion?
A pretty wide variety of sources, from various news medias, to documentaries, to talking to people, etc. Do I have an itemized list? No, as its an organic process.
I'm leaning very much so to agreeing with you on this point. Not sure where on the political spectrum I fall, being conservative with libertarian tendencies on many topics.
Libertarianism is as unrealistic as Communism.
Fair enough. I tend to focus my attention on posters with which I can 'chew the fat' on news and political topics, and always try to leave room for 'we can agree to disagree' on any particular topic.
There is nothing better than to go through the exercise of formulating your opinion into verbiage, coherently expressing them, have them challenged, and defend them in reasonable discussion. It tends to burn away wrong assumptions and bring other perspectives into consideration.
Mostly I am here to examine how other people think and what their strengths and weaknesses are. This allows me to hone my skillset. The secondary purpose is entertainment.

People can think what they want. I am not sure why I should care about that.

It is indeed arguable, but at the end of the day, the federal government is the organizing principal that keeps us as one nation.
Being of a more federalism point of view, I'm leaning more that State governments have a far greater role, and should have a far greater role, than the federal bureaucracy.
Because it didn't threaten to take down the federal government as a whole.
Neither did the events of 1/6. Nor were they ever likely to.

A pretty wide variety of sources, from various news medias, to documentaries, to talking to people, etc. Do I have an itemized list? No, as its an organic process.
That 'organic process' has what likelihood of ferreting out all the actual facts which have bearing on what actually occurred?
Sure, those in that 'organic process' spitball their guesses as to what they think happened, most of it based on guesses from the few facts they have, or believe they have, found.

This in contrast to what is based on the facts from the FBI investigation, I'm inclined to lean more on the latter.

Libertarianism is as unrealistic as Communism.

Mostly I am here to examine how other people think and what their strengths and weaknesses are. This allows me to hone my skillset. The secondary purpose is entertainment.

That sentence should be put out of its misery. Try again?

I'm not going to dumb it down for stupid people. Nor for evasive, deceptive posters who can only misdirect away from facing the facts of the matter, like you.

To condemn others for speaking out against anti-vaxxers as if others so speaking out equates to those that, knowingly, could be infecting, harming and causing death, and as if doing so is incumbent in upholding their self-perceived rights that include refusing to vax, is not rational thought.
1641774650315.png

Back
Top Bottom