• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Says No Shame In Breakthrough COVID After Guilting The Unvaxxed For Months

VySky

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I don’t know if anyone else is seeing a slow shift in the Covid WH and media messaging. Maybe they will find another scapegoat to go after.
—-
Media outlets are scrambling to reassure people who received the COVID-19 shot that there is no shame in testing positive for the virus after corporate media overlords guilted red states, Republicans, and the COVID-positive unvaccinated for months.

The Washington Post published an articleon Thursday urging “self-compassion” for the vaccinated who are caught off guard by contracting COVID-19. Using anecdotes from people who “diligently” and “desperately” went the extra mile to keep away from the virus, the article laments how individuals who got the jab numerous times, masked up, and even stayed home feel like a failure because they fell ill.

They're absolutely right. People who chose not to get the vaccine should be shamed as the assholes they are. They've put themselves and others at risk unnecessarily and the unvaxxed are eating up hospital and medical resources.

Nobody, literally nobody, has claimed the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing covid. Idiot anti-vaxxers made that claim up. It has been scientifically proven that the vaccine RADICALLY reduces one's chance of being hospitalized with a serious case of covid.

VySky, you've repeatedly claimed you couldn't care less if millions of Americans die from covid, you won't take a single measure to prevent it. Nobody cares about the opinion of someone that devoid of all morality.

They're absolutely right. People who chose not to get the vaccine should be shamed as the assholes they are. They've put themselves and others at risk unnecessarily and the unvaxxed are eating up hospital and medical resources.

Nobody, literally nobody, has claimed the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing covid. Idiot anti-vaxxers made that claim up. It has been scientifically proven that the vaccine RADICALLY reduces one's chance of being hospitalized with a serious case of covid.

VySky, you've repeatedly claimed you couldn't care less if millions of Americans die from covid, you won't take a single measure to prevent it. Nobody cares about the opinion of someone that devoid of all morality.
Bravo. Especially to the last sentence, RA.

Bravo. Especially to the last sentence, RA.
VySky is the type of person that will post an article showing 10 out of 150 people at a hospital suffering from covid are vaccinated, while ignoring the other 140 are unvaccinated, then use that article to claim nobody should get vaxxed because it's dangerous, even if that article explicitly claims everyone should get vaccinated.

He did that the other day again. He's intentionally dishonest and won't even read the sources he links, which are mostly blogs like the one above.

The only way I see that vaccinated people might deserve to be shamed is if they are being reckless regarding the non-pharmaceutical interventions and guidelines because they (erroneously) think they can't spread the virus.

There are real reasons for people to be concerned about bad behavior by the US government and have concerns about the vaccines.

There are reasons to be angry about the fallout, mistakes, unfairness, inconsistencies, etc.

I might even go as far to say that partisanship is reasonable.

I question someone who seems to fit 'doth protest too much.' Superduperhyperpartisanship? Obsession?

The reason for the unvaxed hatred is you've abandoned America.
What's not so funny is it turns out the ones who acted so loyal and patriotic about America were the ones running when we needed the most help during a pandemic.

So, I could care less what you think, I'm part of the team you let down. The American one.

I don’t know if anyone else is seeing a slow shift in the Covid WH and media messaging. Maybe they will find another scapegoat to go after.
—-
Media outlets are scrambling to reassure people who received the COVID-19 shot that there is no shame in testing positive for the virus after corporate media overlords guilted red states, Republicans, and the COVID-positive unvaccinated for months.

The Washington Post published an articleon Thursday urging “self-compassion” for the vaccinated who are caught off guard by contracting COVID-19. Using anecdotes from people who “diligently” and “desperately” went the extra mile to keep away from the virus, the article laments how individuals who got the jab numerous times, masked up, and even stayed home feel like a failure because they fell ill.

Don't understand why anyone would feel 'shame' at catching a highly communicable disease.
Making people feel shame, or trying to anyway, is simply stupid.

Don't understand why anyone would feel 'shame' at catching a highly communicable disease.
Making people feel shame, or trying to anyway, is simply stupid.
When a year after the vaccine for that highly communicable disease is available someone still chooses not to take it and to expose himself and those around him to unnecessary risk, that person absolutely should be ashamed.

There is no evidence I read of that any significant number of breakthroughs felt ashamed. Regardless, that one should feel shame is an indication of their emotional dedication to and investment in the health and safety of others, themselves and, in effect, society. The somewhat veiled claims amount to another OP-fail for the OP failure king.

There really is no credible argument against the set of COVID vaccines available in the US. I could understand the caution when they were first approved (in what was no doubt a rush), but it's been a year, and the side effects are no more serious than 1000s of other non-controversial pharmaceutical treatments that have been with us for years. More importantly, their efficacy is manifest. But we are not serving the objective of building herd immunity when, like the President, we make this political and declare the un-vaxxed "unpatriotic." Any rational adult should expect a partisan response from a partisan attack, which is what that is and what has occured.

Unfortunately vaccination has gone the way of so many issues in that persuasion is no longer the objective. The moral self-preening that comes from attempts to shame others is now what it's all about, and you can see it clearly in many posts in this thread.

There really is no credible argument against the set of COVID vaccines available in the US. I could understand the caution when they were first approved (in what was no doubt a rush), but it's been a year, and the side effects are no more serious than 1000s of other non-controversial pharmaceutical treatments that have been with us for years. More importantly, their efficacy is manifest. But we are not serving the objective of building herd immunity when, like the President, we make this political and declare the un-vaxxed "unpatriotic." Any rational adult should expect a partisan response from a partisan attack, which is what that is and what has occured.

Unfortunately vaccination has gone the way of so many issues in that persuasion is no longer the objective. The moral self-preening that comes from attempts to shame others is now what it's all about, and you can see it clearly in many posts in this thread.
It's not about shaming, it's about how some don't care about others and are more than willing to take the risk of getting covid and spreading it, they feel as if that is their right so screw all the other folks who are doing the right thing for themselves and others...and then they have the gall to call themselves patriots. If anti vaxxers are going to display stupid behavior, they will receive stupid responses.

Of course there is no shame. And of course a shift is happening.

Why would there be shame?

Holy **** right wingers just can't think shit through, can they?

"It's your fault they made a bad decision because you were criticizing bad decisions!"

Yeah ok.

We've tried every form of persuasion. It didn't work. The orange dipshit poisoned millions of people with the garbage spewing from his mouth. Eventually people run out of patience. Antivaxxers need to accept personal responsibility for their decisions, and that includes being criticized for them. Don't like it? Toughen up, snowflakes.

The reason an unvaccinated person getting covid is shameful is because they willfully chose to elevate risk.

A vaccinated person did not do this.
Exactly. So you’d have to direct your question to the right wingers at the Washington Post.

Can you cite a post you’ve written that takes that approach? I bet I would have no problem finding the more attack-style posts if I searched.

Recently? Absolutely you can find more "attack-style" posts. You know how time works, right?

Is there some reason this is specifically about me? Am I personally responsible for YOUR vaccination choice? Man, I'm more powerful than I thought. Hey, liberals! Turns out I'm the only one of us who matters! You can all take a break now, all this is on me! Every right wing antivaxxer? My fault! Nat says so.

Listen, buddy, I said "we" for a reason. Liberals have tried every form of persuasion. Doctors have tried every form of persuasion. The government has tried every form of persuasion. If people haven't been persuaded by now, tell me how to change that. It has to be something we haven't tried already.

I wonder if @VySky realizes how remarkably stupid that thread title is. Some pro tips, VySky:

Unvaccinated: way more likely to die and get other people killed.

Breakthrough COVID: you got vaccinated and booster, but a variant still infects you.

Now see if you can find the problem with that title of yours. Another pro-tip: it has to do with what the unvaccinated were "guilted" for. Because holy ****ing duh. :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if @VySky realizes how remarkably stupid that thread title is. Some pro tips, VySky:

Unvaccinated: way more likely to die and get other people killed.

Breakthrough COVID: you got vaccinated and booster, but a variant still infects you.

Now see if you can find the problem with that title of yours. Another pro-tip: it has to do with what the unvaccinated were "guilted" for. Because holy ****ing duh. :ROFLMAO:
The dumber part is The Washington Post writing what they did. Do people seriously need that level of coddling?

Recently? Absolutely you can find more "attack-style" posts. You know how time works, right?

Is there some reason this is specifically about me? Am I personally responsible for YOUR vaccination choice? Man, I'm more powerful than I thought. Hey, liberals! Turns out I'm the only one of us who matters! You can all take a break now, all this is on me! Every right wing antivaxxer? My fault! Nat says so.

Listen, buddy, I said "we" for a reason. Liberals have tried every form of persuasion. Doctors have tried every form of persuasion. The government has tried every form of persuasion. If people haven't been persuaded by now, tell me how to change that. It has to be something we haven't tried already.
I was responding to your post and you said "we," which includes you. I am curious to know if you have ever taken a more persuasive approach on this matter. Have you?

I was responding to your post and you said "we," which includes you. I am curious to know if you have ever taken a more persuasive approach on this matter. Have you?
Of course. Over and over I've tried to explain to people that vaccines and masks help to protect them and helps to protect those around them, including loved ones. I've mentioned this probably hundreds of times by now.

But, again, why are you focusing on me? Doctors tried to persuade us. The government tried to persuade us. The media tried to persuade us. Businesses tried to persuade us. But, some rando on a politics forum, that's who you really need to know the specific actions of? Sure buddy. Sure. This totally isn't just ad hominem. You're just asking questions.

I'll make you a deal: define the precise criteria that will cause you to change your mind. Tell me what about my specific posting history would cause you to admit you are wrong, that those liberals actually did try persuasion instead of attacks, and that persuasion simply didn't work. What evidence do you require to satisfy this question?

If you can't define that, then there's nothing to talk about. If nothing can actually change your mind on this, why would I bother putting in any sort of effort?

Last edited:
There is nothing to be ashamed of if one has taken every step they can to protect themselves, their family, their community and in particular the healthcare workers. One can only do their best. Reusing to get a vaccine is something else's altogether. As I have said many times, I really couldn't care less about how sick a person who chooses not to get vaccinated gets. I only care about what they put their communities and healthcare workers through.

Back
Top Bottom