• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod story

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

My guess is, if you ask all these folks who are SO SO SO DISGUSTED AND ANGRY over this, exactly WHY they're SO SO SO DISGUSTED AND ANGRY over this, they won't really be able to tell you why, exactly.

I can. Some bised agenda drive radical post a clip out of context and everyone reacted without doing their due diligence. That's reason enough to be disgusted.

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

I can. Some bised agenda drive radical post a clip out of context and everyone reacted without doing their due diligence. That's reason enough to be disgusted.

Which, of course, does not explain why 99.44% of the ANGER!!!! and DISGUST!!!!! are aimed at Fox News.

If there are massive threads on THAT $%&##@# NAACP!!!! and THAT $&#@#@ WHITE HOUSE!!!!!, please, point me to them.

Which, of course, does not explain why 99.44% of the ANGER!!!! and DISGUST!!!!! are aimed at Fox News.

If there are massive threads on THAT $%&##@# NAACP!!!! and THAT $&#@#@ WHITE HOUSE!!!!!, please, point me to them.

No one's defending the Wh and the NAACP. You are defending Fox. Kind of pumps up the anger. ;)

No one's defending the Wh and the NAACP. You are defending Fox. Kind of pumps up the anger. ;)

Doesn't matter if no one's defending them. Where's the massive outpouring of anger toward them?

I'm defending Fox on those specific points upon which a reasonable person interested in intellectual integrity should defend them, and on no other. If that makes you or anyone else angrier, it only feeds my point more.

Doesn't matter if no one's defending them. Where's the massive outpouring of anger toward them?

I'm defending Fox on those specific points upon which a reasonable person interested in intellectual integrity should defend them, and on no other. If that makes you or anyone else angrier, it only feeds my point more.

Where's the venue to show it. Everyone here has already said they were wrong. Only with Fox is there any dispute, thus creating the venue.

First off you arent REALLY going to look at all the threads STARTED to attack Fox News and claim the only reason they were started was that people would defend Fox and THATS what got people mad?

Seems to me...that if people were being HONEST they would not attack Fox news but apparently the morning show, Sean hannity, and the Red Eye (is that even ON fox news channel?) Seems like if they had INTEGRITY they would say, you know...Im pretty suprised that not only did Glen Beck not attack the woman he DEFENDED her and said it wasnt racosm and then no WAY should she get fired. And apparently Sheppard Smith too. And they would say, you know...I admire that bill O Reily so readily admitted his mistake...after all...he fell 'victim' to the same story as did the White House and NAACP. And i dont think he apologized by saying "its not my fault but im sorry just the same"

Where's the venue to show it. Everyone here has already said they were wrong. Only with Fox is there any dispute, thus creating the venue.

If people were angry and disgusted at the NAACP and White House over this, where are the threads they stated to express it? I can see plenty started about Fox News. No one here is ever shy about starting threads blasting things that piss them off. I gotta say, I'm seeing a rather glaring lack of expressions of off-pissing vis-a-vis the NAACP or the White House.

If people were angry and disgusted at the NAACP and White House over this, where are the threads they stated to express it? I can see plenty started about Fox News. No one here is ever shy about starting threads blasting things that piss them off. I gotta say, I'm seeing a rather glaring lack of expressions of off-pissing vis-a-vis the NAACP or the White House.

Who would argue with them?

Who would argue with them?

People don't refrain from expressing their off-pissedness because they don't think anyone's going to argue. That's . . . unbelieveably weak.

Just to clarify here. Speak up if you're:

1. Saying that Fox as a whole is absolutely blameless in regards to attacking Sherrod
2. Saying that Fox's news side did a good job but its opinion side deserves some blame.
3. Saying that Fox deserves some blame, but no more than what the rest of the media gets
4. Saying that its wrong to blame or suggest Fox as being on par with Brietbart in regards to releasing this based on the distorted and manipulative timeline of Media Matters?

What I see is most people on the right in this thread saying #4, with a smattering also saying #2 or #3. I've yet to see anyone suggest #1, though I admit I may've missed it, and yet that's what seems to be being said when people continually are accusing folks of "Defending" fox news.

If I say someone that is being an asshole is being an asshole, if you then call him a Baby Raping Nazi who ****s on American Flags and hates apple pies and I go "Dude that's not true", it would be rather disingenuous to then go "See, you're defending him!" as if I'm suddenly completely okay with everything he does for disagreeing with your over the top assertion.

I see. Ignore my point entirely and substitute your own.

Besides, they're not "my friends." No TV journalists are. You appear to be far, far more invested in them than I'll ever be.

Then I misconstrued your point. I though it was that I was overreacting.

1. Saying that Fox as a whole is absolutely blameless in regards to attacking Sherrod
2. Saying that Fox's news side did a good job but its opinion side deserves some blame.
3. Saying that Fox deserves some blame, but no more than what the rest of the media gets
4. Saying that its wrong to blame or suggest Fox as being on par with Brietbart in regards to releasing this based on the distorted and manipulative timeline of Media Matters?

What I see is most people on the right in this thread saying #4, with a smattering also saying #2 or #3. I've yet to see anyone suggest #1, though I admit I may've missed it, and yet that's what seems to be being said when people continually are accusing folks of "Defending" fox news.

If I say someone that is being an asshole is being an asshole, if you then call him a Baby Raping Nazi who ****s on American Flags and hates apple pies and I go "Dude that's not true", it would be rather disingenuous to then go "See, you're defending him!" as if I'm suddenly completely okay with everything he does for disagreeing with your over the top assertion.

As I've made known throughout this thread, I am #2 all the way.

You know Boo, I particularly liked that Huffington Post video. It showed that Fox News was reporting on the story accurately based on the information available at the time.

Well what do you know... It seems that even MSNBC reported the story accurately like Fox did:

Scarborough to Buchanan: "You're not going to be talking" during NBPP/Sherrod segment | Media Matters for America

It would seem that CNN also reported on the story accurately too:

JOHNS: Well, Anderson, late word tonight that Shirley Sherrod, the USDA's Georgia director of rural development, has resigned after a YouTube video surfaced showing her describing to an NAACP audience how she withheld help to a white farmer.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SHIRLEY SHERROD, FORMER GEORGIA DIRECTOR OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT, USDA: But he had come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all of that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him. I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farm land. And here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

JOHNS: In a statement tonight, Agricultural Secretary Tom Vilsack said, "There is zero tolerance for discrimination in USDA, and I strongly condemn any acts of discrimination against any person."​

If you bothered to look at MM very own timeline, you would realize that all those clips from Fox News, took place before Sharrod's side of the story went public. Every one of them (with the exception of the clip of a guest being interviewed) was based on the only information available at the time, which was the edited video, the statement from the USDA and the statement from the NAACP. There was no full video, and there wasn't Sherrod's side of the story.

Even MSNBC reported the story just like Fox did, because based on the information available, there was no other way to report it.

That's because the White House and the NAACP were in the wrong, and Fox News wasn't.

You know Boo, I particularly liked that Huffington Post video. It showed that Fox News was reporting on the story accurately based on the information available at the time.

Well what do you know... It seems that even MSNBC reported the story accurately like Fox did:

Scarborough to Buchanan: "You're not going to be talking" during NBPP/Sherrod segment | Media Matters for America

It would seem that CNN also reported on the story accurately too:

JOHNS: Well, Anderson, late word tonight that Shirley Sherrod, the USDA's Georgia director of rural development, has resigned after a YouTube video surfaced showing her describing to an NAACP audience how she withheld help to a white farmer.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SHIRLEY SHERROD, FORMER GEORGIA DIRECTOR OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT, USDA: But he had come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all of that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him. I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farm land. And here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

JOHNS: In a statement tonight, Agricultural Secretary Tom Vilsack said, "There is zero tolerance for discrimination in USDA, and I strongly condemn any acts of discrimination against any person."​

If you bothered to look at MM very own timeline, you would realize that all those clips from Fox News, took place before Sharrod's side of the story went public. Every one of them (with the exception of the clip of a guest being interviewed) was based on the only information available at the time, which was the edited video, the statement from the USDA and the statement from the NAACP. There was no full video, and there wasn't Sherrod's side of the story.

Even MSNBC reported the story just like Fox did, because based on the information available, there was no other way to report it.

a) What judgements did the FOX pundits/opinion anchors make about her character?
b) What judgements did the MSNBC/CNN pundits/opinion anchors make about her character?

That's because the White House and the NAACP were in the wrong, and Fox News wasn't.

You realize the opinion commentators of Fox News are still considered Fox News. You think they did absolutely no wrong during this?

As I said, I think a lot of, maybe most, people don't actually know what it is they're so, so angry about. Are they really angry about Fox News's opnion people expressing negative opinions about Sherrod? That it was done on the basis of a selectively-edited video? Seriously? Seems to me that a more appropriate response would be to laugh at them, to be delighted in their stupidity.

No, the anger has to be coming from somewhere else, and I do believe it's because they think, on some level, that Fox is to blame for what the NAACP and the White House did to Sherrod -- or because they're angry about what happened to Sherrod but can't bring themselves to muster that anger at the NAACP or the White House, so they direct it at Fox News. Or a combination of both. Or, perhaps, with some, it's because they, too, believed the story without checking and are embarrassed and angry about that.

Looking at the entire record, the news section of Fox News did absolutely nothing wrong or irresponsible, at all. Even their web story on Fox Nation was responsibly written, wtih all the appropriate caveats and disclosures. As for the opinion shows, if they were being stupid and boorish, they were being no moreso than usual, or any moreso than any of the opinion shows to be found on any cable network.

1) Fox News, as a news network, did not attack Sharrod. They reported the story accurately based on the information available at the time. The words of Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, other opinion show hosts, as well as any guests interviewed on any show, do not represent the views of the Fox News Channel as a whole. What Brett Baire says for example, when hosting Special Report at 6pm, does represent Fox News as a whole, because that is the hard news. If Chris Matthews verbally attacks someone on his show, the blame Chris Matthews, not MSNBC. BTW, this thread is about MM putting out a false story attacking Fox News.

2) Fox's news side did do a good job reporting the story, and it's opinion side shares no blame what so ever in Sharrod being fired, since they didn't express an opinion until after she resigned.

3) Blame for what? Fox news reported the story accurately based on the information available, just as the other news networks did.

4) That is correct. Fox News had nothing to do with that video, and wasn't partnered with Breitbart in any way, for any reason.

People don't refrain from expressing their off-pissedness because they don't think anyone's going to argue. That's . . . unbelieveably weak.

MAkes for a boring thread. I've never started one when i knew there was agreement. That's kind of preaching to the choir, and not particularly productive.

No, both did the same thing. All were wrong.

MAkes for a boring thread. I've never started one when i knew there was agreement. That's kind of preaching to the choir, and not particularly productive.

Perhaps YOU haven't. Most people around here don't operate that way.

Perhaps YOU haven't. Most people around here don't operate that way.

Are you sure? Exactly how long does a thread everyone agrees with last?

a) What judgements did the FOX pundits/opinion anchors make about her character?
b) What judgements did the MSNBC/CNN pundits/opinion anchors make about her character?

a) Don't know... Don't care.
b) Don't know... Don't care.

They're opinions made by political pundits on opinion shows... They're irrelevant to this discussion.

Fox News has been under attack from the left. They've been accused of contributing to the public spread of that edited video and are being blamed because it directly lead to Shirley Sharrod being denounced by the NAACP and forced to resign by the administration.

Those accusations are 100% false. There is not one shred of truth in them at all. Fox News played absolutely no part in in that story until well after the fact.

Last edited:

No, both did the same thing. All were wrong.

No, Fox News had nothing to do with that video, Shirley Sharrod, or any part of that entire story until after she was forced to resign.

Fox News has 0% blame for what happened to that lady.

Are you sure? Exactly how long does a thread everyone agrees with last?

Doesn't matter. People still start them.

Back
Top Bottom