• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod story

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

Thing is, I love it how the rabid righties are going all nuts over this, yet they all give Fox a pass. From what I know, no other network reported more than that she was fired. Oh, and perhaps that the NAACP condemned her too. But they didn't air absolute crap like this all freakin' night:

Fox News' Shirley Sherrod Mediagasm (VIDEO)

I find it equally lovable watching the rabid lefties have the noose out for fox once again.... :shrug:

from your link:

""We here at Studio B did not run the video and did not reference the story in any way for many reasons, among them: we didn't know who shot it, we didn't know when it was shot, we didn't know the context of the statement, and because of the history of the videos on the site where it was posted, in short we do not and did not trust the source."

So the more news oriented (not opinion shows) didn't run it?

Looking at this thread, it seems Fox news didn't run it until after she was fired and it seems media matters lied..... Where is the scorn for them?

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

Thing is, I love it how the rabid righties are going all nuts over this, yet they all give Fox a pass. From what I know, no other network reported more than that she was fired. Oh, and perhaps that the NAACP condemned her too. But they didn't air absolute crap like this all freakin' night:

Hey...dood...did you READ your own post? In the Huffington post of all places they applaud Beck for calling for the video to be put in context and actually DEFENDING THE WOMAN and cite Sheppard Smith, another Fox news member for NOT running the clip. So apparently Bill O Reilly DID...and who else? And when OReilly HAD the full context didnt he apologize?

And BY THE WAY...look at you...all indignant that FOX NEWS jumped the gun while IGNORING the NAACP and the Obama administration for doing the SAME THING and throwing that woman under the bus.

I await your fair and balanced hate filled rants against the NAACP and trhe White House...which I am SURE are forthcoming. Because SURELY you arent a piece of **** hypocrite...

I find it equally lovable watching the rabid lefties have the noose out for fox once again.... :shrug:

from your link:

""We here at Studio B did not run the video and did not reference the story in any way for many reasons, among them: we didn't know who shot it, we didn't know when it was shot, we didn't know the context of the statement, and because of the history of the videos on the site where it was posted, in short we do not and did not trust the source."

Looking at this thread, it seems Fox news didn't run it until after she was fired and it seems media matters lied..... Where is the scorn for them?

Saw that myself, right rev...and laughed when I saw it.

Yo Middleground is is a chica... :prof

from your link:

Are the opinion shows part of Fox news?

Yes.

Did they tear her a new asshole? Yes.

Many here in this thread who are being critical of MM, watch Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity and Fox and Friends a lot. Some are self-proclaimed fans.

Not once have I heard them be outraged by what they did.

They will continue to watch despite being misinformed in a consistent way.

The hypocracy is thick.

PS. As I mentioned in another thread, I have nothing but respect for Shep Smith.

Yo Middleground is is a chica... :prof

DUDE is male, while DOOD is universal!

Last edited:

Since being lied to and being mislead is such a big issue with you, why are you defending Fox?

Because they were, and still are, being falsely attacked by the left and websites like Media Matters. Fox News had nothing to do with Sharrod being fired, because they never mentioned the story or that video, prior to her resignation. They no more "mislead" the public than the other media outlets that had reported on the story, and they certainly didn't lie about it.

After they announced that she was fired, they had a field with this story until the true facts came out the following day. So, for roughly 24 hours, they went nuts attacking this woman. This is supposed to be a news organization for Pete's sake, and should have known better. So you're defending that? If so, you standards are pathetically low.

Until the full video came out, I also believed that firing the lady was the right call.

As for Fox News "going nuts" and attacking the woman, that just wasn't the case. In fact, the day the story broke Fox Senior Vice President Michael Clemente issued a directive for the news hours of FNC, telling the news staff to check the story out before devoting any time to it. He also said, and I quote, “Let’s make sure we do this right”.

Sure, Hannity's opinion of the woman wasn't a positive one on his 9:00 show... and after hearing the edited video, O'Reilly thought she should have resigned, a statement he retracted the following night along with an apology. I also heard that Greg Gutfield took a few jabs at her on his show that aired at 3am. The thing is though, those guys all host opinion shows, not news programs.

After 7am the following morning when Sharrod told her side of the story to CNN, up until the full video was released early that evening, Fox's coverage of the story was pretty even handed, and in line with what other media outlets were also reporting. In fact, hours before the full video was released, the Fox News daytime hosts that I watched were all giving her the benefit of the doubt. The only opinion show that aired on Fox before the full video was released was Glenn Beck, and he came out in support of the lady, as did conservative writer Charles Krauthammer on "Special Report" which followed Beck at 6pm.

So like i said, I have no problem in the world supporting Fox on this one.

Yes.

Many here in this thread who are being critical of MM, watch Beck, O'Reilly, Hannity and Fox and Friends a lot. Some are self-proclaimed fans.

The hypocracy is thick.

PS. As I mentioned in another thread, I have nothing but respect for Shep Smith.

What do you think of Media Matters? Daily Kos? etc?

From what I know, no other network reported more than that she was fired. Oh, and perhaps that the NAACP condemned her too. But they didn't air absolute crap like this all freakin' night

I don't know about the night the story broke, but the following day according the liberal leaning website Mediaite, MSNBC mentioned the story 21 times, Fox mentioned it 39 times, and CNN mentioned it 63 times.

Hey...dood...did you READ your own post? In the Huffington post of all places they applaud Beck for calling for the video to be put in context and actually DEFENDING THE WOMAN and cite Sheppard Smith, another Fox news member for NOT running the clip. So apparently Bill O Reilly DID...and who else? And when OReilly HAD the full context didnt he apologize?

Hannity, Red Eye and Fox and Friends. How many times do I have to type it out?

Yes, kudos to O'Reilly for apologizing. But he committed a big faux pas, no?

And BY THE WAY...look at you...all indignant that FOX NEWS jumped the gun while IGNORING the NAACP and the Obama administration for doing the SAME THING and throwing that woman under the bus.

LOL. I have been quite critical of the WH and the NAACP for this. Oopsie...I guess you missed them. Or perhaps you're just as incompetent as FOX and made your conclusion based-on nothing.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/bias-...overage-sets-off-uproar-2.html#post1058882199
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...ogizes-ousted-official-27.html#post1058875276

I await your fair and balanced hate filled rants against the NAACP and trhe White House...which I am SURE are forthcoming. Because SURELY you arent a piece of **** hypocrite...

Need some help getting all that egg off of your face?

Yes.

The hypocracy is thick.

Aaaaayup...it sure is...

Where do you live? I mean what state do you live in?

Oops... It says so right below your nick...

That time is based on what timezone you live in. You are on pacific time, so it shows 3:22 pm, and as you know, 3:22 pm pacific time is 6:22 pm eastern time.
I believe your analysis may be seriously flawed in that you say the story is "still up" when in fact it could have been taken down and put up again. If this were the case, then all of the comments made prior to them taking down were erased.

I don't believe you have proven that MMfA got this wrong or lied about the timeline.

Yes, kudos to O'Reilly for apologizing. But he committed a big faux pas, no?

LOL. I have been quite critical of the WH and the NAACP for this. Oopsie...I guess you missed them. Or perhaps you're just as incompetent as FOX and made your conclusion based-on nothing.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/bias-...overage-sets-off-uproar-2.html#post1058882199
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...ogizes-ousted-official-27.html#post1058875276

Lets see.....

You APPLAUD O Reilly for making the same mistake the WH and NAACP made but at least stepping up and recognizing it and apologizing without blaming everyone else. Sheppard Smith for you is apparently fair and unbalanced. Glenn Beck not only DIDNT trash the woman but he DEFENDED her.

Sooooooo...Im looking for the Fox News outrage...

Oh Yeah! Its the same typical I hate Fox News Schtick as always...

I don't know about the night the story broke, but the following day according the liberal leaning website Mediaite, MSNBC mentioned the story 21 times, Fox mentioned it 39 times, and CNN mentioned it 63 times.

It was okay to mention the story after the firing... if it was to report about the firing. It was wrong to make judgements on Sharrod without getting all of the facts. Fox had a frenzy whailing on her. I did not see any of the sort from any other station. If so, please link me and I will take a gander.

OK...so FOR THE RECORD...I applaud that you...in a half line on one post and almost a full sentence on another post gave criticism to the NAACP and WH. Theres the 'egg'.

Now...How many posts have you made blasting apparently one or two Fox News hosts for making the same mistake the Obama admin has?

Because...you know...fair and balanced...

Lets see.....

You APPLAUD O Reilly for making the same mistake the WH and NAACP made but at least stepping up and recognizing it and apologizing without blaming everyone else. Sheppard Smith for you is apparently fair and unbalanced. Glenn Beck not only DIDNT trash the woman but he DEFENDED her.

Sooooooo...Im looking for the Fox News outrage...

Oh Yeah! Its the same typical I hate Fox News Schtick as always...

Why don't you debate my post rather than puffing out your chest and spewing a bunch of nonesence.

Step up to the plate, Vance.

You accused me of giving carte blanche to the NAACP and the WH. My links proved that you were wrong. Are you going to apologize?

OK...so FOR THE RECORD...I applaud that you...in a half line on one post and almost a full sentence on another post gave criticism to the NAACP and WH. Theres the 'egg'.

Now...How many posts have you made blasting apparently one or two Fox News hosts for making the same mistake the Obama admin has?

Because...you know...fair and balanced...

If I didn't have to argue with you rabid FOX apologists, my ant-rant FOX quota would be a lot less. :doh

Bottom line is this:
1) the WH screwed up
2) the NAACP screwed up
3) Fox News screwed up (the night and morning crew make Shep look bad, unfortunately)

C'mon... be a big man and step up. Fox screwed up, no?

If I didn't have to argue with you rabid FOX apologists, my ant-rant FOX quota would be a lot less. :doh

Bottom line is this:
1) the WH screwed up
2) the NAACP screwed up
3) Fox News screwed up (the night and morning crew make Shep look bad, unfortunately)

4) MM screwed up
5) MSNBC screwed up
6) CNN screwed up

no?

Yes.

But they are not news shows. Don't tell me you still don't know the difference between news and opinion? If that's the case, then MSNBC has called for the murder of several American citizens... Where's your outrage?

Actually, not really.

Based on what was known that night, the responses from O'Reilly, Hannity and Gutfield were not what I would call "out of line" as far as opinions go. What you seem to forget is, that video wasn't the only thing they had to go by. They also had both the Obama Administration and the NAACP's condemnation of Ms. Sharrot and the words she spoke on that tape, which means a whole lot considering their political leanings. I mean come on, when the NAACP denounces what the woman said, and it was at one of their own functions where she said it, don't you think that justifies the negative opinions from conservative pundits?

The fact is, that MM story should have taken aim at the administration and the NAACP... They're the ones who first attack her, not Fox News.

Why should I be?

They were only following the lead of the Obama administration and the NAACP. They are the ones who overreacted to the video and attacked Sherrod before ascertaining the facts... Hannity, O'Reilly and other pundits merely reacted after the damage had been done.

Horse pucky

Remember my friend, absolutely nothing that was said by anyone on Fox News, contributed in any way to what happened to Shirley Sharrod. Also keep in mind, that this thread is about how Media Matters (along with dozens of liberal politicians, pundits and progressive bloggers) launched a completely false attack on Fox News... A point that you have yet to address.

Why don't you debate my post rather than puffing out your chest and spewing a bunch of nonesence.

Step up to the plate, Vance.

You accused me of giving carte blanche to the NAACP and the WH. My links proved that you were wrong. Are you going to apologize?

I ACKNOWLEDGED that you, on two separate occasions...faulted the NAACP and Obama Administration for jumping to conclusions. Did you miss that? I guess what you object to is that a few Fox people did the SAME THING...jumped to conclusions...and you have posted HOW MANY blanket condemnations of Fox news? Hell...you even admit that at least two of the Fox News guys did the RIGHT thing...thats two more than the Obama set or NAACP...yet you CONTINUE to rant on about Fox news.

Nah...you have Fox News envy...its an obsession.

It was okay to mention the story after the firing... if it was to report about the firing. It was wrong to make judgements on Sharrod without getting all of the facts. Fox had a frenzy whailing on her. I did not see any of the sort from any other station. If so, please link me and I will take a gander.

Making judgments (aka offering opinions) is what political pundits do. That's why they host "opinion" shows, not anchor news programs.

Now how about you tell me exactly how anything that was said on the Fox News Channel effected what happened to Shirley Sharrod, when they never mentioned her or the story until after she was forced to resign?

While you're at it, could you please tell me in your own opinion, who or whom rushed to judgment and attacked Sharrod without all the facts, causing her to resign from her job?

Bottom line is this:
1) the WH screwed up
2) the NAACP screwed up

Sweetie...(since the Rev pointed out you arent a Dude)...I dont WATCH Fox News. ALL I have seen ABOUT Fox News is from people like YOU that obsess and post things and clips ABOUT them. I wouldnt know that Beck took her side from the beginning had you not posted your HuPo article (and BTW...I took her side too...from the very beginning). I wouldnt have seen the Sheppard Smith comment if it wasnt for you. I wouldnt have seen bill O Reiliys comments if it werent for you posting links here. I know squat about what Red Eye is or how the show works.

On the other hand...I DID watch Jon Stewart state that Fox was benign in all this.

So...my conclusion...my guess would be that Fox News probably reported on this no less or more than CNN, MSNBC, or any other network. And certainly SOME on Fox Apparently screwed up and jumped the gun. And if YOUR "Bottom Line" was consistent, we wouldnt be having this discussion because it would be just another day.

4) MM screwed up
5) MSNBC screwed up
6) CNN screwed up

no?

Come on now...if they ALL screwed up then how wpould they justify 7 current threads bashing Fox News??? (OK...that may be an exagerration...I think its like 4)

Wait . . . they're attacking Fox News for running away with a selectively-edited video by providing one of their own?

Really?

Back
Top Bottom