• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

May I end the World?

Wake

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is a philosophical issue.

Let us say the ability to destroy the world was at my fingertips. The details needn't matter.

Why should I not destroy everyone for their actions? They rape, lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc. Envy, pride, anger, hate... They even assume humans are inherently good and peaceful.

I, with this unique option, am inclined to end it.

Why shouldn't I?

Last edited:
Would you also be destroying yourself?

Let us say the ability to destroy the world was at my fingertips. The details needn't matter.

Why should I not destroy everyone for their actions? They rape, lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc. Envy, pride, anger, hate... They even assume humans are inherently good and peaceful.

Why shouldn't I?

Well.. The Democrats wouldn't have anyone to run against if you did.. :lol:

Just kidding.. But you did set that up perfectly!!

Would you also be destroying yourself?

It would seem so.

Why shouldn't I? I am not selfish enough to overlook my lies, etc.

You may as well cause not sure that old Camping Dude can make it til Oct. :2razz:

Plus the TeaParty has some black dude they are backing. This is proof the world is out of kilter.:2razz:

I speak of everyone. We all have partaken in such filth. This is not party specific.

It would seem so.

Then why are you morally qualified enough to end the world? Your argument as I see it is this: The world is full of wicked men. Therefore, a good man who observes this world and has the power to destroy all of it would do so. You have admitted that you are not a good man. Rather, you are part of the wickedness. So couldn't your desire to destroy the world be an extension of that wickedness, and NOT good or just as you claim?

Side question: If there was one good man in the world, and you knew his name, would you spare him and destroy the rest?

Last edited:

Why shouldn't I?

Okay, I'm buyin'. Why destroy it. What "good" will it do?

Want perfection? Play a Disney video game.

Depends in what capacity you mean.

Do I think it matters in the grand scheme of things? Not really. The earth was here before us, and will continue without us. The universe probably cares exceedingly little about a bunch of apes on a little blue dot.

But what exactly gives you the right to do that if others disagree? Why is your opinion any more important than theirs? You may think all those things, and you may be true to some degree, but it is also true that humanity is getting better and more civilised with time. More people have more access to a decent quality of life, wars are less bloody, people are more accepting, more educated, more conscious of how they effect others, etc.

So really, you've just chosen the glass half empty view. There's no more reason to believe your view than the reverse, though neither completely reflect reality.

What gives you the right to kill someone else based on your subjective view of how humanity's going.

Why shouldn't I?

Because it would be meaningless. With nobody left to interpret the action, nothing could be learned from it and thus the world would be left empty. All the human vices you mentioned are part of humanity and their meaning would cease to exist with humanity.

Suicide is not cool. Wake, don't be suicidal.

Why shouldn't I?

I believe good will always triumph over evil. Think about how good everyone can be rather then how bad they can be.

It's simple - you are not God, therefore you don't have the right to end the world. :yt

Do you hate humanity so much that you would destroy it, even at the price of the lives of everyone you love? Why? What could possibly sicken you so much that you would forsake everything good in the world just to be rid of it?

It would seem so.

but you do appear to be arrogant enough to judge the rest of the world to be not as good as yourself, therefore worthy of destruction.

but you do appear to be arrogant enough to judge the rest of the world to be not as good as yourself, therefore worthy of destruction.

You should not assume that about me, Whovian.

Hundreds of millions of people have been raped, beaten, murdered, tortured, deceived, the list goes on and on.

Have you ever felt righteous rage? Judgment is merely popular vengeance.

Ever wanted to kill a child's murderer and rapist? Compound that rage by millions. Why should I not pass judgment on them to end it forever? One said my beliefs no better than theirs... but the opposite must also be true. Their beliefs are no more important than mine.

People are raped or killed every second. Moreso in the future. If I end it now, this life, this existence, like an abortion, do I not save these future lives from misery and fear?

It cannot be arrogance, Whovian.

It is icy rage.

It's simple - you are not God, therefore you don't have the right to end the world. :yt

The decision does not require God. Since when does society care about God's Word?

Though, once gone, I'd accept what God decides.

You've never hated a molested or murderer? Consider the billions lost in time's shadow.

I believe good will always triumph over evil. Think about how good everyone can be rather then how bad they can be.

But what is evil, LimeLight? Is not evil deceitful? So deceitful that you only understand a fraction of it?

Humans are not inherently good.

Why shouldn't I?

It's better than the alternative.

Because it would be meaningless. With nobody left to interpret the action, nothing could be learned from it and thus the world would be left empty. All the human vices you mentioned are part of humanity and their meaning would cease to exist with humanity.

Meaningless, no. Interpretation, unneeded. Academic, unnecessary.

The world would be gone. Without humans, there can be no vices. That is precisely it.

It's better than the alternative.

The alternative, with increased population, equals many billions and billions of wrongs.

Hundreds of millions of people have been raped, beaten, murdered, tortured, deceived, the list goes on and on.

And you would be destroying them along with their tormentors. If you destroyed the world, you would be committing the same crimes for which you have judged all of humanity, billions of times over. Do what thou wilt, but don't confuse your indiscriminate wrath for compassion. You ask why you shouldn't destroy humanity. I can't answer that for you. But I will ask you again, "why would you want to?" It can't be for the sake of the very same people you've judged unworthy of life. It can't be for the sake of a god who has claimed the sole authority of moral judgment for himself. If you want to destroy and to murder just to slake the rage in your heart, you are already free to kill as many people as you want until someone stops you. You don't need anyone's permission.

But what could you possibly hate so much that you would destroy everything just to be rid of it?

I hereby propose the following DP Special Security Rule: That Wake shall never be allowed anywhere near the Doomsday Button.

So let it be written.... so let it be done. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom