• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mandatory, Nation Wide, I.Q. Tests!

Hi Soviet_Guy! :2wave:

welcome2.gif

What exactly do you mean? IQ tests for the teachers or students? Students should be grouped according to ability, and teachers shouldn't be teaching if they can't pass the new test.​

Table 1 - Practical Significance of IQ

IQ Range
Frequency
Cumulative
Frequency
Typical Educability
Employment
Options

Below 30
>1% >1% below 30 Illiterate Unemployable. Institutionalized.

30 to 50
>1%? >1% below 50 1st-Grade to 3rd-Grade Simple, non-critical household chores.

50 to 60
~1%? 1.5% below 60 3rd-Grade to 6th-grade Very simple tasks, close supervision.

60 to 74
3.5%? 5% below 74 6th-Grade to 8th-Grade "Slow, simple, supervised."

74 to 89
20% 25% below 89 8th-Grade to 12th-Grade Assembler, food service, nurse's aide

89 to 100
25% 50% below 100 8th-Grade to 1-2 years of College. Clerk, teller, Walmart
100 to 111
50% 1 in 2 above 100 12th-Grade to College Degree Police officer, machinist, sales
111 to 120
15% 1 in 4 above 111 College to Master's Level Manager, teacher, accountant
120 to 125
5% 11 in 10above 120 College to Non-Technical Ph. D.'s. Manager, professor, accountant
125 to 132
3% 1 in 20 above 125 Any Ph. D. at 3rd-Tier Schools Attorney, editor, executive.
132 to 137
1% 1 in 50 above 132 No limitations. Eminent professor, editor
137 to 150
0.9% 1 in 100 above 137 No limitations. Leading math, physics professor
150 to 160
0.1% 1 in 1,100 above 150 No limitations Lincoln, Copernicus, Jefferson
160 to 174
0.01% 1 in 11,000 above 160 No limitations Descartes, Einstein, Spinoza
174 to 200
0.0099% 1 in 1,000,000
above 174 No limitations Shakespeare, Goethe, Newton

Source

Lincoln? Really? Hmm...smart man. Well I'm 157 but that doesn't mean I'm smart..trust me :mrgreen:

But yeah...IQ tests don't really prove much...and RightAtNYU's link pretty much sums up everything....

Anywho, welcome Soviet Guy! What's with the influx of communists recently?

Yeah, have no explanation about the influction of communists. My I.Q. is 137, but I'm still in Grade 12, for 3 more weeks anyway.

Soviet_Guy said:
Yeah, have no explanation about the influction of communists. My I.Q. is 137, but I'm still in Grade 12, for 3 more weeks anyway.

It doesn't increase as you age, which is the interesting thing about it.

Soviet_Guy said:
Really? Maybe I shouldn't have scheduled that I.Q. test in summer then, lol.

Yea, any time from the age of 16 on, the standard test should score you the same.

Not necessarily, RightatNYU. IQ can go up over time, depending on the experiences in between. I took one when I was 16 and got 132. I took another one about 3 weeks ago, and I just turned 18 yesterday, and I got a 148. It's still in the same area.. but there is a significant difference.

geek said:
Not necessarily, RightatNYU. IQ can go up over time, depending on the experiences in between. I took one when I was 16 and got 132. I took another one about 3 weeks ago, and I just turned 18 yesterday, and I got a 148. It's still in the same area.. but there is a significant difference.

Since high school (I graduated in 1986...I am 37 years old) I have had several IQ tests that have ranged from 112 to 140something. The one I took my senior year right before joining the military was 123 & my most recent was 131. I suppose that means I'm not an idiot, nor am I a genius. I think the reason for differing results are because of areas in which the test relies heavily on. Not all IQ tests are the same & they do tend to lean toward a certain type of knowledge/thinking & are not universal as the test creators would have you believe. Also as we mature/get older our general knowledge/thinking does change & one would hope gets better.

Yeah, I took my first I.Q. a month before turning 15, and since then I've learned a great deal more about Wordl War II, and every other important war since 100 B.C. but that's because I wasn't interested in war before then. Also, your mathematical knowledge should go up as well, and also your english skills, so your I.Q. should go up at least 10 points after 5+ years, until you reach 25 or so.

geek said:

Were they actual IQ tests, not online ones? Online ones are uniformly worse than useless. If you take a comprehensive IQ test, your score remains unchanged from the age of 16 onwards. It doesnt test knowledge, it tests ability to learn, which doesn't develop with age. Of course there's differences in individual testing situations, but the whole premise of IQ tests is that they're naturally standardized. A deviation such as you had should not have happened.

Soviet_Guy said:
Yeah, I took my first I.Q. a month before turning 15, and since then I've learned a great deal more about Wordl War II, and every other important war since 100 B.C. but that's because I wasn't interested in war before then. Also, your mathematical knowledge should go up as well, and also your english skills, so your I.Q. should go up at least 10 points after 5+ years, until you reach 25 or so.

That's not what IQ tests test. True IQ tests (not the horrible online things) test ability to learn, not what you know. That trait is (as the theory goes) inherent and does not develop or decline as you age. Nothing that you learn affects it.

RightatNYU said:
That's not what IQ tests test. True IQ tests (not the horrible online things) test ability to learn, not what you know. That trait is (as the theory goes) inherent and does not develop or decline as you age. Nothing that you learn affects it.

I was to the understanding that IQ tests tested your ability to think & process information as well as your ability to learn. However, I think you're wrong when you say that this is a trait that can't be developed. I think the use of one's brain does help it develop into a learning tool. I think the more you learn the more you have to help you logically think through any situation, etc. Although I could be wrong.

Er, no, they weren't online tests. They were test's I scheduled through my guidance counselor at my high school. I believe it was the same 'company' who made the two tests I took.

To say that you can't learn how to learn is silly. Your mind develops with experience and through obtaining more knowledge. I believe Arthur has a better understanding of the purpose of IQ tests.

geek said:
Er, no, they weren't online tests. They were test's I scheduled through my guidance counselor at my high school. I believe it was the same 'company' who made the two tests I took.

To say that you can't learn how to learn is silly. Your mind develops with experience and through obtaining more knowledge. I believe Arthur has a better understanding of the purpose of IQ tests.

Actually, no. IQ tests are converted from raw scores to scaled scores to correct for age up to the age of 16 or 18 depending on the test. IQ itself does not change.

The whole idea of IQ testing is contentious, with many different people claiming many different things about it. There are no proven facts about what it measures, or how it can be increased, if it's even possible.

Although testing companies will TELL you that it does, most studies have shown that is a lie perpetuated to get you to buy their products over and over.

Many schools of thought believe IQ scores become stable at even earlier ages:
IQ is an abbreviation for Intelligence Quotient. “Intelligence,” as measured by IQ tests is rather narrowly defined. An IQ is intended as a predictor of the level of abilities a child will need to be successful in school. In the general population this score becomes relatively stable after about four years of age.
http://www.pediatrics.emory.edu/NEONATOLOGY/DPC/faq.htm#5

Soviet_Guy said:
How about it, to position everyone according to their I.Q.

Maybe just for people who want to breed. What to jump into the gene pool? You have to pass this test....LOL

Fu_chick said:
Maybe just for people who want to breed. What to jump into the gene pool? You have to pass this test....LOL

I realize that. I was kidding--note the "LOL" at the end of the post.

Back
Top Bottom