• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lowe's Manager Bows to Request after Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Driver

Was the Manager right to agree to the customer's demands?

• Yes

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
Re: Lowe's Manager Bows to Request after Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Drive

Sending the black guy would be negligence. Sending anyone at all was idiocy, and I already addressed that. So I think this conversation is over.

Why do you persist with this tone of disagreement but everything you say completely agrees with Jasper?

Re: Lowe's Manager Bows to Request after Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Drive

Well, you can't quote me saying anything of the sort. The only clearly racist person in this whole deal is the woman. The manager screwed up by accommodating her racist request.

I've also said that there are lots of situations in which I could see the manager keeping his job. I pointed out he was probably whipsawed by the conflicting burdens of meeting his sales goals, pleasing his customers, and his obligations with regard to his black employee and corporate policies on race/gender issues in general.

it's there in black and white.

it's there in black and white.

As I said, you can't quote me saying anything of the sort. Put up (quote me) or shut up. Your choice.

I don't think the manager should of been fired...unless Lowe's has a specific policy in how a manager should act in that situation...they are going to default to the customer is always right.

In what way is my personal experience relevant ?

FWIW, I am 30 years old.

Accommodating racial bigotry is a tacit endorsement of racial bigotry.

Right and sitting at a drug store lunch counter is not problem, takes no courage at all.

It's easy to judgmental and elite when the battle has ended. Not so much when the fight is ongoing.

You need to dial back your righteous indignation just a tad and try to learn something.

Right and sitting at a drug store lunch counter is not problem, takes no courage at all.

It's easy to judgmental and elite when the battle has ended. Not so much when the fight is ongoing.

You need to dial back your righteous indignation just a tad and try to learn something.

This has nothing to do with me, personally, and i'm not sure why you think i have some moral superiority complex. I'm human and i make mistakes like anyone else.

If i hated black people for no reason, i would not want people to just accept and accommodate that. I would want to have the metaphorical slap in the face that might help me come up to speed with reality.

Again, i'm not talking about scolding some old woman, giving her a lecture, calling her a racist, or punching her in the face. I'm talking about doing the right thing and not accommodating racism. As a former addict, the worst thing you can do for an addict is enable their addiction through misplaced compassion. A similar trend pervades this issue.

This has nothing to do with me, personally, and i'm not sure why you think i have some moral superiority complex. I'm human and i make mistakes like anyone else.

If i hated black people for no reason, i would not want people to just accept and accommodate that. I would want to have the metaphorical slap in the face that might help me come up to speed with reality.

Again, i'm not talking about scolding some old woman, giving her a lecture, calling her a racist, or punching her in the face. I'm talking about doing the right thing and not accommodating racism. As a former addict, the worst thing you can do for an addict is enable their addiction through misplaced compassion. A similar trend pervades this issue.

Your opinions are yours. They have to be about you.

I'm glad that you're recovering from your addiction. Good luck for continued success.

The point I'm offering for your consideration is that nobody can know all of what has and is motivating another.

As a person born in about 1985 and probably not very aware of the world until the late 90's, trying to judge those who lived through two world wars, the great depression and the invention of virtually everything in the world before computerization.

You have virtually the same view that I had on the day I was dealing with that old lady. It is a condition of youth. You see her comments and actions as hatred. I see it pretty much in the same way I would regard her probable inability to drive capably.

A weakness or a disability like a limp or a sensory deprived thing like poor eye sight or hearing. She was what she had been made into. Really not her fault.

You were addicted. These things happen. If a guy is lucky, he recovers. Same with a racist; White or Black. If they're lucky, they recover. If they're not, they are consumed by hate like that hate-filled caricature, Al Sharpton.

Al's responses to the world around him are practiced and directed. We don't all need to be like Al.

I'll give you that we shouldn't hate everybody who is marginally racist.

That doesn't mean that we should accommodate racism.

I'm much more concerned about the black employee who is forced to suffer the bigotry than the old white lady who dishes it out from her own free will.

I'll give you that we shouldn't hate everybody who is marginally racist.

That doesn't mean that we should accommodate racism.

I'm much more concerned about the black employee who is forced to suffer the bigotry than the old white lady who dishes it out from her own free will.

The Black employee in this case was not affected. As far as I know, he never was aware of the interchange between the old lady and me. That notwithstanding, being Black in this country provides a cross to bear that I can only imagine. I was in Baltimore once in a Black neighborhood and I'll never forget the ostracism I felt. I was stared at, the victim of suspicion and relieved everyone just by leaving them some space. What if I lived my life, every day, all day under that weight. I cringe.

You don't understand and can't understand the plight of the old lady. So be it.

She was not exercising her own free will. She was a victim in a different way from the young man at the slicer. I appreciate your conversing about this. I don't think we're going to bridge the gulf that separates us.

You don't understand and can't understand the plight of the old lady. So be it.
I must have missed something. Is this about the old lady in the story or is this about some personal anectdote?

I must have missed something. Is this about the old lady in the story or is this about some personal anectdote?

He was condemning the old lady as a racist.

In today's world, any reference like this one would definitely brand the lady as a racist. In the world as it was then, it brands her more as an ignorant relic of her upbringing.

I liken it to a story from the 60's of a guy who entered the washroom on a plane cruising at 35,000 feet after a little old lady had left and found that she had safety pinned the small curtains on the window together for the sake of modesty.

Back
Top Bottom