• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lowe's Manager Bows to Request after Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Driver

Was the Manager right to agree to the customer's demands?

• Yes

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters

Superfly

Salty, defiant, and completely non-compliant.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
From Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah
Political Leaning
Independent
Lowe's Manager Bows to Request After Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Driver | Mother Jones

~ snip ~

Last month, a black driver working for a local Lowe's in Danville, Virginia, was on his way to deliver a package when he received an abrupt order from his manager to return a shipment back to the store.
"I asked him why I couldn't do it and he said because you're black and they don't want you at the house," Marcus Bradley told WSET-TV.

~ snip ~

So who was right? The Lowe's manager who bowed to the racist customer? Or Lowe's corporate, who fired the manager?

Re: Lowe's Manager Bows to Request after Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Drive

Lowe's Manager Bows to Request After Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Driver | Mother Jones

So who was right? The Lowe's manager who bowed to the racist customer? Or Lowe's corporate, who fired the manager?

I posted this earlier but not in its own post . . .
I thought it was funny that eventually when the higher ups found out at lowes they fired the manager who gave into the racist and basically gave here a big go **** yourself by saying no no bigoted request will be fulfilled in the future. They apologized to the driving staff and let them know it wont happen again.

Lowes cooperate was right of course because the manager and others violated policies and procedure . .. if it was pushed arguments could be made he broke the law so it was the right move.

This vile hateful lady used to also come in the store and refuse to interact with minority workers, what a dumbass. I wish I was manager of the store I would have banned her.

Re: Lowe's Manager Bows to Request after Racist Customer Refuses Black Delivery Drive

The idiot of the year award goes to...

I can't even believe this happened. Shred a man's dignity for, what? A few hundred dollar order. The manager should be fired. Jesus. I can't even believe this is a true story.

I guess it was against corporate policy, so the manager was wrong to take on the customer. She was rather odd, but has every right to choose who may service her.

That attitude is disgusting. Somebody don't want to do business with black people? Screw them.

I can't even believe this happened. Shred a man's dignity for, what? A few hundred dollar order. The manager should be fired. Jesus. I can't even believe this is a true story.

The manager was fired . . i believe others were too. HQ apologized to all the drivers (no matter thier color) and the faculty was reminder of policies and procedures and they basically gave a big **** you to the lady because her;s or other bigoted requests are not to be filled and wont be :D

The story came from Mother Jones so I'm going to wait and see if there isn't something more to it. Not that I question an ideology driven "news source" to report all of the facts accurately or anything like that...

The manager is wrong. The driver should go and if the people don't like it they don't accept it and then they don't get what they want and that serves the racist losers right.

That attitude is disgusting. Somebody don't want to do business with black people? Screw them.

That might be ones opinion. It doesn't mean that the person does not have the right to her's. And saying she doesn't is as bigoted as the woman.

The manager was fired . . i believe others were too. HQ apologized to all the drivers (no matter thier color) and the faculty was reminder of policies and procedures and they basically gave a big **** you to the lady because her;s or other bigoted requests are not to be filled and wont be :D

Yayyyyyy!!!!!

The story came from Mother Jones so I'm going to wait and see if there isn't something more to it. Not that I question an ideological driven "news source" to report all of the facts accurately or anything like that...

its everywhere actually i posted it earlier from USA today but just in a similar thread topic not as its own thread

Lowe's manager replaces black delivery driver after racist request
Lowe's: Black Deliveryman Replaced by Manager After Customer Request
3 Lowe's Workers out Over Request for No Black Drivers - ABC News

The story came from Mother Jones so I'm going to wait and see if there isn't something more to it. Not that I question an ideology driven "news source" to report all of the facts accurately or anything like that...
Read the ABC News link. They talked to the woman, and she confirmed that she didn't want a black person delivering her stuff.

That might be ones opinion. It doesn't mean that the person does not have the right to her's. And saying she doesn't is as bigoted as the woman.

Baloney. No, it is not. If you don't know how to stand up for the dignity of others, that's on you. She is an asshole. You may want to kiss her ass. I don't.

The right thing for the store to do would have been to refuse the delivery. They also should make the name of the customer public. No law against that that I am aware of.

Read the ABC News link. They talked to the woman, and she confirmed that she didn't want a black person delivering her stuff.

SUre did, and when questioned she asked not to be identified but admitted what she did and said she would do it again LOL what a sad waste of a human being .

Heres more links on top of the ones i posted
Black delivery driver replaced by manager after Lowe’s customer demands white employee - The Washington Post
Lowe'''s Delivery Man Called Back When Customer Asks For White Worker
Black Delivery Driver Replaced After Customer Wanted Whites Only - ABC News
Lowe's manager allegedly complied with a customer's racist requests - Business Insider

I guess it was against corporate policy, so the manager was wrong to take on the customer. She was rather odd, but has every right to choose who may service her.

Since when? Lowe's, in turn, has every right to tell her to go **** herself.

The right thing for the store to do would have been to refuse the delivery. They also should make the name of the customer public. No law against that that I am aware of.

Well I dont know if they can just flat out refuse, things may have been paid for. But if I was manager I'd send the black guy anyway, if she then refuses the order I have the black guy let her know refusal of delivery in this case is the same as canceling the order. :)

As far as releasing her name, i wouldn't do that personally but if it happened so be it.

Yes, she has the right to her opinion. And I, Lowe's, and everyone else have the right to not only tell her that her opinion is horse****, but that they don't have to do business with her.

Well I dont know if they can just flat out refuse, things may have been paid for. But if I was manager I'd send the black guy anyway, if she then refuses the order I have the black guy let her know refusal of delivery in this case is the same as canceling the order. :)

As far as releasing her name, i wouldn't do that personally but if it happened so be it.

I don't think anything legally precludes them from refunding her money and canceling the order.

I did.

I'm satisfied. Bigoted woman demands her bigotry be respected or "no sale". Morons at Lowes acquiesce. So many levels of stupid here. I guess my only question now is how much commission was on the line for these "managers" to lose that they were willing to oblige a racist in order to get it? Apparently forgoing basic human decency is pretty cheap these days...

Keeping in mind this is hardly the worst thing that's happened in the world (or just Virginia) today:

She has the right to be a bigot.

We have the right to call her out on her bigotry.

The store has an obligation to its staff to decline such an overtly bigoted request. I don't know if they have a legal obligation, but they certainly have a moral obligation, to treat their staff equally and not agree to these types of requests.

Yes, she has the right to her opinion. And I, Lowe's, and everyone else have the right to not only tell her that her opinion is horse****, but that they don't have to do business with her.

If a potential customer came to me, a company's representative, and said they don't want a _(enter race here)_ tech to be sent to their prem I'd make sure they were no customer of ours. It not only goes against my personal beliefs but against my company's policies.

I posted this earlier but not in its own post . . .
I thought it was funny that eventually when the higher ups found out at lowes they fired the manager who gave into the racist and basically gave here a big go **** yourself by saying no no bigoted request will be fulfilled in the future. They apologized to the driving staff and let them know it wont happen again.

Lowes cooperate was right of course because the manager and others violated policies and procedure . .. if it was pushed arguments could be made he broke the law so it was the right move.

This vile hateful lady used to also come in the store and refuse to interact with minority workers, what a dumbass. I wish I was manager of the store I would have banned her.

Agreed. That would have been fun. :lol:

my only question now is how much commission was on the line for these "managers" to lose that they were willing to oblige a racist in order to get it? Apparently forgoing basic human decency is pretty cheap these days...
I seriously doubt there was any major economic incentive here. The manager probably wasn't a racist, or if he is he hid it exceptionally well for a long time.

My guess is the manager just didn't know how to handle the request, didn't want to refuse it, and figured the drivers wouldn't care.

Back
Top Bottom