• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lieberman's settlement bars Russian-Israeli families from buying homes

So Apocalypse, to you this statement is "minor" ?

"The biggest problem is that if you accept 10 families in which the mother isn't Jewish, then soon there will be 30 children, and tomorrow your son could fall in love with the good-looking girl next door. It's a real problem," Heiman said.

"It's difficult enough with the dozens of terrorists who enter each morning," added Nokdim resident Amit Gruen, in apparent reference to Palestinians employed in home construction in the settlement.

"We have to separate ourselves from the gentiles in commerce and everything else - particularly when it comes to living with them. It could lead to assimilation or idol worship; it opens the door to all kinds of trouble. They might lead us into committing offenses that Jews normally don't do, like idolatry and incest and all kinds of other perversions. That's why we have no place for them here," he said.

"In principle, the fact that they serve in the army is a problem. They must not serve in the army - the fact that the state brought them over doesn't mean a thing. Just as it brought them over, it can send them back to their own countries," Gruen said.

The majority of the Israeli public doesn't take the extrimists in the right and left too seriously thus Apoc said its minor. Nokdim not much larger than my street and probably has less families in than my Street, it is mainly populated by immigrants from Russia (which makes this statement weird) with a very extreme nationalistic views so statements like "In principle, the fact that they serve in the army is a problem. They must not serve in the army - the fact that the state brought them over doesn't mean a thing. Just as it brought them over, it can send them back to their own countries" coming out from a mouth of a wierdo in some god forsaken settlment is to be condemed but doesn't present a serious issue in the Israeli society.

Who wants to live there anyways? It sound pretty strange that people not motivated by some very extreme nationalistic ideas would like to live in this hell hole

The majority of the Israeli public doesn't take the extrimists in the right and left too seriously thus Apoc said its minor.

and, of course, those who take the attitudes of such a small percentage of Jews in order to condem all Jews are indulging in a time-honored practice that is of grave concern, especially considering the lessons provided by the historical record.

A specific settlement constitutes only a small slice of Israel's population. To assume that the settlement's policies reflect those of all of Israel's Jewish people is a vast overgeneralization. The comment about excluding non-Jewish people from economic participation and the military is also incorrect.

And since this vast overgeneralization has been supported by so many postings in this thread, I'm wondering about your opinions as to the nature of all this support.

and, of course, those who take the attitudes of such a small percentage of Jews in order to condem all Jews are indulging in a time-honored practice that is of grave concern, especially considering the lessons provided by the historical record.

Could have sworn you said Gazans supported terrorism not long ago.

The majority of the Israeli public doesn't take the extrimists in the right and left too seriously thus Apoc said its minor. Nokdim not much larger than my street and probably has less families in than my Street, it is mainly populated by immigrants from Russia (which makes this statement weird) with a very extreme nationalistic views so statements like "In principle, the fact that they serve in the army is a problem. They must not serve in the army - the fact that the state brought them over doesn't mean a thing. Just as it brought them over, it can send them back to their own countries" coming out from a mouth of a wierdo in some god forsaken settlment is to be condemed but doesn't present a serious issue in the Israeli society.

Who wants to live there anyways? It sound pretty strange that people not motivated by some very extreme nationalistic ideas would like to live in this hell hole

So in other words these are tiny states within the sate without government control over them ?

Could have sworn you said Gazans supported terrorism not long ago.

I said that a signifigant majority of Gazans voted for Hamas.

That is a simple statement of fact, and since it was a MAJORITY involved, it should be obvious to any thinking person that this would not be a case similar to that which has been engaged in here in this thread.

I said that a signifigant majority of Gazans voted for Hamas.

That is a simple statement of fact, and since it was a MAJORITY involved, it should be obvious to any thinking person that this would not be a case similar to that which has been engaged in here in this thread.

No i specificly remember you making a generalization when i said the blockade should be lifted. I'll dig up the post in a bit.

So in other words these are tiny states within the sate without government control over them ?

Pretty much, yes, the west bank settlements are pretty much like the wild west of the 1800s USA.

Pretty much, yes, the west bank settlements are pretty much like the wild west of the 1800s USA.

WOW, in such a small country there already are states within the state who govern according to their own laws. That is very unique case in a civilised nation.
And that's the kind of people who live in the heart of the so-called future Palestinian state ? Not a very optimistic outlook, is it ?

edit: so if I undertand correctly, the state of Israel is using the territories as a garbage dump, ridding itself from this kind of scum by settling them in the W.B. ?

Last edited:
WOW, in such a small country there already are states within the state who govern according to their own laws. That is very unique case in a civilised nation.
I think you misunderstand. Local municipalities in Israel - just like in the US - can adopt their own ordinances. If such ordinances violate either district or state law, then a lawsuit will be filed to annul any unlawful municipal ordinance.

edit: so if I undertand correctly, the state of Israel is using the territories as a garbage dump, ridding itself from this kind of scum by settling them in the W.B.?
Not at all. It's just that birds of a feather tend to live together. This is what happened to San Francisco ;)

I think you misunderstand. Local municipalities in Israel - just like in the US - can adopt their own ordinances. If such ordinances violate either district or state law, then a lawsuit will be filed to annul any unlawful municipal ordinance.

So if they refuse to integrate families into their village for religious reasons, there is no law to prevent that kind of discrimination ?

Not at all. It's just that birds of a feather tend to live together. This is what happened to San Francisco ;)

What's wrong with San Francisco ?

The settlers do have advantages provided by the government in order to move to the W.B. don't they ?

Last edited:
And that's the kind of people who live in the heart of the so-called future Palestinian state ? Not a very optimistic outlook, is it ?

edit: so if I undertand correctly, the state of Israel is using the territories as a garbage dump, ridding itself from this kind of scum by settling them in the W.B. ?

Its not all of the settlers population but there are communities who see their way as more legit than the law. For eg. Yitzhar, Nokdim is one of the extreme too, all of the eastern Gush Etzyon is pretty much inhabited by fanatics.
The population didn't come there because of the goverment, today there are very few people who live in the west bank and are not motiveted by ideology of Greater Israel. Migdalim used to be such settlement and when I was there two years ago it was almost abandoned, most of the residents were students of Ariel's college who leased there because of the cheap rent.

Its not unique to the settler communities though, Arab villages pretty much do what they want without any law enforcement from the state too (EG. illegal houses in the Gallile and the Negev).

Its not all of the settlers population but there are communities who see their way as more legit than the law. For eg. Yitzhar, Nokdim is one of the extreme too, all of the eastern Gush Etzyon is pretty much inhabited by fanatics.
The population didn't come there because of the goverment, today there are very few people who live in the west bank and are not motiveted by ideology of Greater Israel. Migdalim used to be such settlement and when I was there two years ago it was almost abandoned, most of the residents were students of Ariel's college who leased there because of the cheap rent.

Its not unique to the settler communities though, Arab villages pretty much do what they want without any law enforcement from the state too (EG. illegal houses in the Gallile and the Negev).

What a mess

Absolutely nothing if you're an American Liberal.

or gay

I'm a Franco-Lebano-Armenian left-winger if that helps.
No wonder why I feel good in San Francisco ;)

I'm a Franco-Lebano-Armenian left-winger if that helps.
No wonder why I feel good in San Francisco ;)
That explains a lot. j/k ;)

Back
Top Bottom