• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

King of the Left Wing Flops

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
And the title goes tooooo....

Matt Damon, upon the occasion of the boxoffice failure of his latest leftist flick Elysium.

You may be wondering how in the world that title could have been stolen from George Clooney.

But Damon has had 4 big flops in 4 years. Clooney has never done that. And Damon always insists that his flaming balls of left wing fail be as expensive as possible.

Here are the 4:

"Elysium" (2013): $56 million; $38 million worldwide - 3284 theatres - $115 production budget*

"Promised Land" (2012): $7.6 million; $8.1 million worldwide - 1676 screens.

"Happy Feet Two" (2011): $65 million; $150 million worldwide - 3606 screens - $140 million production budget*

"Green Zone" (2010): $35 million; $95 million worldwide - 3004 theatres - $100 million production budget*

*add $50 to $80 million for promotion and advertising, then double the total for the amount a film has to clear just to break even.

Apropos this development was the big fight between Sony investers, who god damn well want a return on their investment, thank you very much, and George Clooney, who is fighting for the right to spend their money on films that satisfy his political passions. You know, films that mean something, that are relevant.

What does this have to do with "General Political Discussion?" :confused:

Extreme Left Wing using their Hollywood status to push the Extreme Left agenda. The Koch brothers can't even compete with that. But you never hear about it in the "media".

Matt Damon also created one of the best movies ever in Good Will Hunting.

It simply amazes me how much hatred the "right wing" has for...well, everyone.

I also find it amusing how the OP doesn't mention the budget for Promised Land, or the fact it was not intended as a big box office movie. And then it conveniently ignores the fact the other movies (all of which cleared their production budget or came close to it) also make money in DVD sales and digital streaming rights as well. Apparently making money is considered a "flop" in right-wing world. Oh, and let's not even get into the fact that "Happy Feet Two" was not a Matt Damon solo, but rather a large collection of names.

In other words, this is simply amusing how much hatred the "right wing" has for...well, everyone. Oh, and the fact they don't seem to know what the word "flop" means.

Last edited:
The OP is hating on Obama and Damon. And Politico read that Damon is mad at Obama. It is never-ending with these assclowns, their word, but one I gladly sling back.

I also find it amusing how the OP doesn't mention the budget for Promised Land, or the fact it was not intended as a big box office movie. And then it conveniently ignores the fact the other movies (all of which cleared their production budget or came close to it) also make money in DVD sales and digital streaming rights as well. Apparently making money is considered a "flop" in right-wing world. Oh, and let's not even get into the fact that "Happy Feet Two" was not a Matt Damon solo, but rather a large collection of names.

In other words, this is simply amusing how much hatred the "right wing" has for...well, everyone. Oh, and the fact they don't seem to know what the word "flop" means.

The OP is hating on Obama and Damon. And Politico read that Damon is mad at Obama. It is never-ending with these assclowns, their word, but one I gladly sling back.
There's no doubt Damn is not "right wing", but he's criticized Obama on many occasions. I think what scares "right wingers" so much about Damon is the fact he seems to enjoy having the ability to think for himself.

In the interest of full disclosure, Matt Damon is undoubtedly my favorite actor.

I don't keep up with the latest movies, even tapes, like my wife. For me, it's Denzelle.
There's no doubt Damn is not "right wing", but he's criticized Obama on many occasions. I think what scares "right wingers" so much about Damon is the fact he seems to enjoy having the ability to think for himself.

In the interest of full disclosure, Matt Damon is undoubtedly my favorite actor.

Extreme Left Wing using their Hollywood status to push the Extreme Left agenda. The Koch brothers can't even compete with that. But you never hear about it in the "media".

Oh B, I would have expected more from you than that. Seriously??!!

Oh B, I would have expected more from you than that. Seriously??!!

OD, there are certain actors that make it their mission in life to take full advantage of their celebrity status to attempt to sway public opinion and our countries laws and regulations through their occupation. Not all, but many. Matt Damon is one of them. I think he's a great actor. I disagree with his politics, but love many of his films. Although I don't pay to see and thus do not support his political movies. Many movies have themes that could be interpreted by some as having a political agenda. I'm not the kinda guy that really gives a hoot. But when an actor goes around hawking his film and explaining the political message in it before it hits the theater, I'm out. And BTW, that goes for anyone that puts out a rightist movie as well. Although those are few and far between given the make-up of Hollywood.

When I go to movie, I want to be entertained, not lectured. And did you know that Damon's movie about fracking was financed by Arab oil money? That isn't a far right batsh*t crazy statement; It was in the credits in the trailers. Kinda lost all specter of legitimacy with me at that point. Before I saw that, I was going to go see it because I like him as an actor.

Watch this, and when it gets to the 2:29 mark, hit pause and look at the upper right hand corner for "Image Nation Abu Dhabi" Promised Land TRAILER (2012) - Matt Damon Movie HD - YouTube
Research this company:
Our people - Image Nation

I agree that the extreme right has a crazy hatred for Hollywood. When it comes to certain movies (can't imagine why they listed Happy Feet) there is an overt agenda. Promised Land is intended to be one such movie.

I like Damon as an actor. I do not agree with either his politics or his using his celebrity to push it.

I agree that the extreme right has a crazy hatred for Hollywood. When it comes to certain movies (can't imagine why they listed Happy Feet) there is an overt agenda. Promised Land is intended to be one such movie.

I like Damon as an actor. I do not agree with either his politics or his using his celebrity to push it.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Promised Land. I don't see fracking as being a staple of right-wing politics. If anything, fracking seems to be supported by our President and Republicans seem to want to support the more traditional measures of energy. I think the point of Promised Land was to expose the myth that fracking is "safe". But it was also about a man who realized there is more to life than simply always being in the rush of "getting ahead", that sometimes it's better to slow down and appreciate life as it is. I don't see either of those are left-wing positions. I suppose you could make the argument that "environmentalism" is a left-wing argument, but none of the main characters really advocate for environmentalism (with the exception of Krasinski, who turns out to be a liar and a scoundrel).

I have to disagree with your assessment of Promised Land having an overt left-wing political agenda.

I have to disagree with your assessment of Promised Land. I don't see fracking as being a staple of right-wing politics. If anything, fracking seems to be supported by our President and Republicans seem to want to support the more traditional measures of energy. I think the point of Promised Land was to expose the myth that fracking is "safe". But it was also about a man who realized there is more to life than simply always being in the rush of "getting ahead", that sometimes it's better to slow down and appreciate life as it is. I don't see either of those are left-wing positions. I suppose you could make the argument that "environmentalism" is a left-wing argument, but none of the main characters really advocate for environmentalism (with the exception of Krasinski, who turns out to be a liar and a scoundrel).

I have to disagree with your assessment of Promised Land having an overt left-wing political agenda.

Left wing per se, no. Extreme environmentalist that does not take the facts into account, yes. I've done a tremendous amount of research into fracking, since many of my government clients are looking into it. The movie was based on the inaccurate and downright untrue accusations in Gas Land and by environmentalist extreme groups. The reason the Emirates got involved was to try and kill the industry to protect their oil revenues with propaganda, and that's all that movie is.

I am very aware that Obama and many Democrats is for fracking. They should be. And there are many Republicans that are as well. The technology has advanced and it is a safe process.

OD, there are certain actors that make it their mission in life to take full advantage of their celebrity status to attempt to sway public opinion and our countries laws and regulations through their occupation. Not all, but many. Matt Damon is one of them. I think he's a great actor. I disagree with his politics, but love many of his films. Although I don't pay to see and thus do not support his political movies. Many movies have themes that could be interpreted by some as having a political agenda. I'm not the kinda guy that really gives a hoot. But when an actor goes around hawking his film and explaining the political message in it before it hits the theater, I'm out. And BTW, that goes for anyone that puts out a rightist movie as well. Although those are few and far between given the make-up of Hollywood.

When I go to movie, I want to be entertained, not lectured. And did you know that Damon's movie about fracking was financed by Arab oil money? That isn't a far right batsh*t crazy statement; It was in the credits in the trailers. Kinda lost all specter of legitimacy with me at that point. Before I saw that, I was going to go see it because I like him as an actor.

Watch this, and when it gets to the 2:29 mark, hit pause and look at the upper right hand corner for "Image Nation Abu Dhabi" Promised Land TRAILER (2012) - Matt Damon Movie HD - YouTube
Research this company:
Our people - Image Nation

I was just teasing you about your language B. "Extreme Left Wing using their Hollywood status to push the Extreme Left agenda. " It seemed so wrought with right wing cliches about the left I had to give you a hard time.

I was just teasing you about your language B. "Extreme Left Wing using their Hollywood status to push the Extreme Left agenda. " It seemed so wrought with right wing cliches about the left I had to give you a hard time.

It was meant as a hyperbolic response to get the thread moving. And guess what, it did.

I will take your spanking and say, "yes Ma'am, may I have another." :shock: :3oops: :doh

It was meant as a hyperbolic response to get the thread moving. And guess what, it did.

I will take your spanking and say, "yes Ma'am, may I have another." :shock: :3oops: :doh

Lol Beau!

And the title goes tooooo.... Matt Damon, upon the occasion of the boxoffice failure of his latest leftist flick Elysium. You may be wondering how in the world that title could have been stolen from George Clooney. But Damon has had 4 big flops in 4 years. Clooney has never done that. And Damon always insists that his flaming balls of left wing fail be as expensive as possible. Apropos this development was the big fight between Sony investers, who god damn well want a return on their investment, thank you very much, and George Clooney, who is fighting for the right to spend their money on films that satisfy his political passions. You know, films that mean something, that are relevant.

Well if Breitbart makes the claim it HAS to be true... :roll:

Lets do some research and not just rely on crazy crap spewed from the radical right-

In 2005 I think it was, Matt and George teamed up to make 'Syriana'. NOT a feel good right wing movie about oil , power, corruption, and our government in the Middle East- 450 million bucks.

'Oblivion' is not a radical right feel good movie starring Tom Cruise. It has made back double it's production costs in 70 days. 286 million

'Elysium' opened #1 at the box office and in TEN (10) days made 93 million. :shock:

The radical right loves to hate 'Hollywierd', but I doubt the Sony executives care as they are making good money. IF the people didn't like certain movies they wouldn't make them #1 at the box office.

Happy Feet 2 is getting attacked by some on the hard right as promoting the Gay agenda. :roll:

I'll do the radical right a big solid by throwing some more loose straw in the water- they seem to love grasping at them.... :peace

Matt Damon, upon the occasion of the boxoffice failure of his latest leftist flick Elysium.

You may be wondering how in the world that title could have been stolen from George Clooney.

But Damon has had 4 big flops in 4 years. Clooney has never done that. And Damon always insists that his flaming balls of left wing fail be as expensive as possible.

Here are the 4:

Apropos this development was the big fight between Sony investers, who god damn well want a return on their investment, thank you very much, and George Clooney, who is fighting for the right to spend their money on films that satisfy his political passions. You know, films that mean something, that are relevant.

I actually thought Elysium wasn't that bad. The political message was way too heavy handed, but I can look past that.

And it's not like there aren't movies with a clumsy heavy-handed conservative message.

It simply amazes me how much hatred

the "right wing" has for...well, everyone.

It's amazing to me how much thé left triés to exagerate thé Rights critiques of à bunch of Hollywood hypocrites.

Matt Damon is your typical left wing hypocrite and Elysium is thé typical libéral perpétuation of thé eat thé rich , us vs thème narrative.

You people cant debate on thé effectiveness of your ideology or the merits of your policies so you construct thèse narratives.

Its not "hatred" to point thèm out.

It's amazing to me how much thé left triés to exagerate thé Rights critiques of à bunch of Hollywood hypocrites.
Hey look, it's Fenton defending a right winger and insulting those who are not. I'm surprised!

Matt Damon is your typical left wing hypocrite
:lol:

Of course he is, Fenton, of course he is.

and Elysium is thé typical libéral perpétuation of thé eat thé rich , us vs thème narrative.
Haven't seen the movie, but you must be right. And it's such a rarity for a movie to sell a story like that. This is why I refuse to watch Star Wars. We need more movies where the rich and poor dance along with gaiety in the streets together, like how it happens in real life.

You people cant debate on thé effectiveness of your ideology or the merits of your policies so you construct thèse narratives.
Oh, the irony in this statement...

Its not "hatred" to point thèm out.
:lol:

Of course not. Those lying bastard liberal Democrats are nothing by hypocrites who want to destroy America, right Fenton? And it's important we point that out and it's not at all hatred to say those things. Right?

Here are the 4:

Elysium hasn't opened in about half the major markets.

Elysium (2013) - Release Info - IMDb

Hollywood has been calling it in for years now, putting out crap especially
in the last few years that's exceptionally sub-standard.

They have to be scratching their heads wondering whats going on.

Why isn't their "formula" working anymore.

Well a**holes, when you appeal to the simpltons of a society by re-warming old plots, making movies that are filled with computer generated explosions, robots, aliens and ghost but that have no underlying depth , you marginalize yourself.

When you continue to produce the same movie over and over and over again but just change the setting because you think your customers ( viewers ) are too stupid to know the difference, you piss allot of people off.

When you present your actors as these learned, intelligent political analysist, who preach what they don't practice, who get behind the most incompetent political party and president in our Nations History, you isolate you customers.

When you produce movies to help cover the asses of a bunch of corrupt and lying politicians ( Too Big to Fail , Margin Call ) or zing the President ( Anchorman ) you chose sides and let millions know your'e not above manufacturing false narratives to support corrupt individuals or a corrupt ideology.

So eat sh** HollyWood. Lets hope your last few horrible movies and their dismal showings are a sign of things to come.

What I don't understand about Elysium is why the rich are painted as the bad guys as if a bunch of poor people tried to breaking in and looting Matt dameons house he wouldn't have private security keep them out by any means necessary. It just seems kind of hypocritical to me as dameon is lecturing us about income inequality from on top of his piles of money.

Elysium hasn't opened in about half the
major markets.

Elysium (2013) - Release Info - IMDb

LOL.....here come the excuses, the justifications.

It hasn't opened in "EVERY MARKET" because it had a piss poor opening numbers.

Yes that's it, its just not in emough movie theaters....Lol.

Hollywood has been producing desperately lame movies for quite some time, spending hundreds of millions on specoal effects and actors but casting aside the story lines and basically just re warming generic plots.

They think the average American is too stupid to notice, but Esylium goes further to tie right into one of the Current administrations false narratives.

"Us vs Them". It's what Obama ran on in 2012 and it's why things are getting worse.

People elected a failure AGAIN, because they were so stupid they bought into a obvious construct. And now the Democrats want those people to think it's the " rich" guys fault.

Right. The Clintons were just busted for using their " altruistic " orginization to get rich....

Oh the irony, the hypocrisy.

Back
Top Bottom