• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

King of the Left Wing Flops

That of a well identified partisan hack using Brietbart to try and push a lie that is a complete fail.

Sorry but it was Boxoffice Mojo that called a Elysium a flop, not Breitbart. The flick needs 400 million to break even and has only gotten 56 million so far, they said, and there's no way they are going to make that.

They are wasting investors' money pushing left wing crap, they've done it again and again. How many anti-war flicks that came out of the Iraq war totally flopped? I can't even count them all. Nobody wants to watch that preachy tripe; it's not even intelligently done. It just clangs and clangs with lefist cliches.

And the title goes tooooo....

Matt Damon, upon the occasion of the boxoffice failure of his latest leftist flick Elysium.

You may be wondering how in the world that title could have been stolen from George Clooney.

But Damon has had 4 big flops in 4 years. Clooney has never done that. And Damon always insists that his flaming balls of left wing fail be as expensive as possible.

Here are the 4:

Apropos this development was the big fight between Sony investers, who god damn well want a return on their investment, thank you very much, and George Clooney, who is fighting for the right to spend their money on films that satisfy his political passions. You know, films that mean something, that are relevant.

56 million in 2 weeks is not bad IMHO.

Also, the new box office hit is also "left wing". The story of the butler in the white house who witnessed loads of civil rights discussions etc.

Sorry but it was Boxoffice Mojo that called a Elysium a flop, not Breitbart. The flick needs 400 million to break even and has only gotten 56 million so far, they said, and there's no way they are going to make that. They are wasting investors' money pushing left wing crap, they've done it again and again. How many anti-war flicks that came out of the Iraq war totally flopped? I can't even count them all. Nobody wants to watch that preachy tripe; it's not even intelligently done. It just clangs and clangs with lefist cliches.

But you didn't link Mojo now did you? You linked Breitbart.

I went to mojo and got the 10 day release and #1 opening day. But you again twist the numbers... I am on the Mojo website, the 56 million is domestic only, off shore is another 37.7 million, production costs are listed as 115 million so where do you get 400 million? Mojo says the numbers they posted are for the first 10 days of release.

So according to Mojo the movie has recouped 81% of the initial investment in 10 days. let's see what 30 days brings before deciding if the movie flopped :2wave:

Don't strain yourself- just try naming a few 'flops' and lets look at the numbers...

YOU don't want to watch 'preachy' movies but more than once you have shown us you are a special snowflake. :peace

OD, there are certain actors that make it their mission in life to take full advantage of their celebrity status to attempt to sway public opinion and our countries laws and regulations through their occupation. Not all, but many. Matt Damon is one of them. I think he's a great actor. I disagree with his politics, but love many of his films. Although I don't pay to see and thus do not support his political movies. Many movies have themes that could be interpreted by some as having a political agenda. I'm not the kinda guy that really gives a hoot. But when an actor goes around hawking his film and explaining the political message in it before it hits the theater, I'm out. And BTW, that goes for anyone that puts out a rightist movie as well. Although those are few and far between given the make-up of Hollywood.

When I go to movie, I want to be entertained, not lectured. And did you know that Damon's movie about fracking was financed by Arab oil money? That isn't a far right batsh*t crazy statement; It was in the credits in the trailers. Kinda lost all specter of legitimacy with me at that point. Before I saw that, I was going to go see it because I like him as an actor.

Watch this, and when it gets to the 2:29 mark, hit pause and look at the upper right hand corner for "Image Nation Abu Dhabi" Promised Land TRAILER (2012) - Matt Damon Movie HD - YouTube
Research this company:
Our people - Image Nation

So, question. Do you oppose people expressing their political or social views in any other creative medium? Just seems like artistic expression to me. Granted they have access to a large audience because of their notoriety but that is really inconsequential to me.

So, question. Do you oppose people expressing their political or social views in any other creative medium? Just seems like artistic expression to me. Granted they have access to a large audience because of their notoriety but that is really inconsequential to me.

To me it isn't a matter of artistic expression. There are thousands of artists that depict their political or social views in their art every day. In fact, most of the greatest examples of artistic expression that have lasted the test of time are based on political or social issues. Very few of them were created by multimillionaires.

I find it ionic that many feel its okay for Matt Damon to use his influence that he has earned, but the Koch brothers cannot cannot use the influence they have earned, or vice versa. To me, both can be dangerous to our society.

To me it isn't a matter of artistic expression. There are thousands of artists that depict their political or social views in their art every day. In fact, most of the greatest examples of artistic expression that have lasted the test of time are based on political or social issues. Very few of them were created by multimillionaires.

I find it ionic that many feel its okay for Matt Damon to use his influence that he has earned, but the Koch brothers cannot cannot use the influence they have earned, or vice versa. To me, both can be dangerous to our society.

Matt D however is pretty up front about who he is and what he endorsing and why. Aren't the Koch brothers a little covert? Also, is it the hypocrisy of those who condemn one and not the other or the act itself?

You have a good point there. Probably those who agree with Koch don't have a problem with the influence they buy whereas being in disagreement with Damon, think it despicable that he should use fame and wealth to advance his agenda. And vies versa! Let me add this too Beau sense you mentioned fraking in an earlier post. I have no idea if ALL the dangers that we have heard about fraking are true, though to believe it could cause problems down there certainly isn't hard for me to believe. I can tell you this though as a fact that I have first hand knowledge in right here in my neighbourhoods. The fraking companies routinely have to drill ranchers new water wells at there own expense from having damaged the subterranean structure to the extent it impedes flow to long established wells. Boy my auto correct doesn't like that word fraking.

Last edited:
Matt D however is pretty up front about who he is and what he endorsing and why. Aren't the Koch brothers a little covert? Also, is it the hypocrisy of those who condemn one and not the other or the act itself?

I think you have a valid point as well od. Damon is anything but opaque in his views, whereas the Koch boys, not so much.

It's something of a pattern for tea party types to fixate on actors and attack them. O'Reilly does it all the time. It's the result of being unable to think clearly, I take it, not to mention envy. Conservatives are driven by such ugly emotions.

Here's a concept: if Lowdown works real hard and gets an education, maybe Matt Damon will hire him as part of his clean up crew. Then instead of being a taker, he can be a maker, like Matt!

Matt Damon, upon the occasion of the boxoffice failure of his latest leftist flick Elysium.

You may be wondering how in the world that title could have been stolen from George Clooney.

But Damon has had 4 big flops in 4 years. Clooney has never done that. And Damon always insists that his flaming balls of left wing fail be as expensive as possible.

Here are the 4:

Apropos this development was the big fight between Sony investers, who god damn well want a return on their investment, thank you very much, and George Clooney, who is fighting for the right to spend their money on films that satisfy his political passions. You know, films that mean something, that are relevant.

So you, and apparently Breitbart, don't like Matt Damon... because he's politically liberal so you guys relish in his movies "flopping" yet his opening weekend world wide brought in almost $94 million.

Matt Damon's sci-fi adventure "Elysium" opened in 20 markets this weekend and was in 42 territories all told, and upped its foreign total to $37.7 million and its worldwide haul to $93.6 million.

In Western Europe, it brought in just over $13 million from eight markets, all of which surpassed the openings of "District 9," director Neill Blomkamp's previous movie, according to Sony.

It debuted at No. 1 in France ($4.1 million), Spain ($3.3 million) and Germany ($3.2 million as well as Holland, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland. It also opened on top in Australia with $3.2 million.

link...

flop huh? :lol:

I guess Breitbart continues to have a fight with the definition of what "truth" is. As do people who slop up the **** that they read on that ridiculously ignorant site.

btw... it was a good movie.

Last edited:
But you didn't link Mojo now did you? You linked Breitbart.

Yeah, you are supposed to read the page and learn about the sources.

I went to mojo and got the 10 day release and #1 opening day. But you again twist the numbers... I am on the Mojo website, the 56 million is domestic only, off shore is another 37.7 million, production costs are listed as 115 million so where do you get 400 million?

You don't know? So you didn't even read any of it.

Mojo says the numbers they posted are for the first 10 days of release.

So according to Mojo the movie has recouped 81% of the initial investment in 10 days. let's see what 30 days brings before deciding if the movie flopped :2wave:

Don't strain yourself- just try naming a few 'flops' and lets look at the numbers...

YOU don't want to watch 'preachy' movies but more than once you have shown us you are a special snowflake. :peace

Seems I've really touched a nerve here. The leftists deeply value their propaganda vehicles and don't like to see them dissed.

Of course, if you come to DP you hope to find politics, I expect. The movies not so much.

I don't know why I'm bothering with the subject, though. (Schadenfreunde?) I don't even know anyone who pays any attention to what Hollywood produces any more.

Yes, we will see whether or not Elysium is a success. What with domestic + foreign + DVD + Netflix, etc., they may yet recoup. Perhaps the people chomping at the bit to see this thing had other things to do for the last 10 days. After all, it was only being shown in, what?, 4000 theaters?

Seems I've really touched a nerve here. The leftists deeply value their propaganda vehicles and don't like to see them dissed.

The tea party fixation with Hollywood. It's truly a sight to behold.

So you, and apparently Breitbart, don't like Matt Damon... because he's politically liberal so you guys relish in his movies "flopping" yet his opening weekend world wide brought in almost $94 million.

Matt Damon's sci-fi adventure "Elysium" opened in 20 markets this weekend and was in 42 territories all told, and upped its foreign total to $37.7 million and its worldwide haul to $93.6 million.

In Western Europe, it brought in just over $13 million from eight markets, all of which surpassed the openings of "District 9," director Neill Blomkamp's previous movie, according to Sony.

It debuted at No. 1 in France ($4.1 million), Spain ($3.3 million) and Germany ($3.2 million as well as Holland, Belgium, Austria and Switzerland. It also opened on top in Australia with $3.2 million.

link...

flop huh? :lol:

I guess Breitbart continues to have a fight with the definition of what "truth" is. As do people who slop up the **** that they read on that ridiculously ignorant site.

btw... it was a good movie.

The OP cited a cost of 115 million plus marketing and salaries just to break even (which would conservatively put the needed mark somewhere around 200 million). So at 93.6 million...yes...it's a flop.

I didnt care about the politics of the movie...the movie just plain sucked.

Gotta love that Sci-fi facial regen...complete with the beard. Ground trans shuttles, shoulder launched interstellar rockets, horrible acting, pathetically predictable story line. What exactly did you like about the movie?

The OP cited a cost of 115 million plus marketing and salaries just to break even (which would conservatively put the needed mark somewhere around 200 million). So at 93.6 million...yes...it's a flop.

I didnt care about the politics of the movie...the movie just plain sucked.

Gotta love that Sci-fi facial regen...complete with the beard. Ground trans shuttles, shoulder launched interstellar rockets, horrible acting, pathetically predictable story line. What exactly did you like about the movie?

story line was cool. I thought the editing was what sucked. It chopped the acting up uncomfortably so that lines being delivered seemed phony. But I put that on the post shot editing. I generally tend to like post apocalyptic styled movies and sci-fi in general.

$93 million is just an opening weekend number. Not an end of the line number. It's still in theaters getting money and then there's the dvd sales and sales to whomever want's to fight hardest to pick it up first after it leaves the theaters. I think it will do fine.

Here are the 4:

King of the right wing makes a fool of himself on national television....
Clint Eastwood RNC Speech (COMPLETE): Actor Assails Obama Through Empty Chair - YouTube
but Gran Torino was great.

it's almost, but not quite, as weird as your fixation with the "Tea Party"

It's not my thread. Take responsibility for your own freakish tea party obsessions.

story line was cool. I thought the editing was what sucked. It chopped the acting up uncomfortably so that lines being delivered seemed phony. But I put that on the post shot editing. I generally tend to like post apocalyptic styled movies and sci-fi in general.

$93 million is just an opening weekend number. Not an end of the line number. It's still in theaters getting money and then there's the dvd sales and sales to whomever want's to fight hardest to pick it up first after it leaves the theaters. I think it will do fine.
Different strokes I reckon. Like I said...the politics didnt bother me...but the movie...:sinking:

I think that summed up the future of conservatism in America: a washed up actor talking to an empty chair.

Clint is anything but a washed up actor. Dude is a great actor and a great director... still.

Different strokes I reckon. Like I said...the politics didnt bother me...but the movie...:sinking:

After the movie I came home and rented Oblivion. Now that story was a cool one... but I didn't care for the bad guy set up at the end. Could have made a more climactic bad guy. I'm speaking cryptically so as to not be a spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet.

Clint is anything but a washed up actor. Dude is a great actor and a great director... still.

agreed.... but you know the drill, political affiliation is the end all be all for some folks.....

i haven't seen Elysium.. but i will... i'm a fan of Damon's work and I don't give a **** about his politics.

After the movie I came home and rented Oblivion. Now that story was a cool one... but I didn't care for the bad guy set up at the end. Could have made a more climactic bad guy. I'm speaking cryptically so as to not be a spoiler for those who haven't seen it yet.
I fell asleep trying to watch it.....both times.

the only other movie that does that to me is Atlas Shrugged.... which i like to call " Atlas Snoozed"

Back
Top Bottom