• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

King of the Left Wing Flops

What I don't understand about Elysium is why the rich are painted as the bad guys as if a bunch of poor people tried to breaking in and looting Matt dameons house he wouldn't have private security keep them out by any means necessary. It just seems kind of hypocritical to me as dameon is lecturing us about income inequality from on top of his piles of money.

What I don't understand about many 'conservatives' is they seem quite selective when they attempt to separate fantasy from fact.

Elysium is a MOVIE, Matt an ACTOR. John Wayne was a draft dodger in WWII yet he played many tough guy Marines in movies. Elysium is pushing the rich poor segregation far past gated communities and private security.

I do think security for celebs goes far beyond the simple rich poor cliche. Many stars have been attacked not for profit but for fame and some delusional belief the star is meant to be with the kooky fan. Rebecca Schaeffer comes to mind, murdered in her own doorway by a stalker. John Lennon was killed to impress another star. Erin Andrews has been stalked, photographed nude through a peephole and threatened with death. Madonna had a stalker of questionable taste- either she would marry him or he would slash her face??? Shawn Johnson won Olympic gold and got a stalker of her very own. Even Ryan Seacrest has had a stalker- that IS this world coming too???? Hillary Duff had a Russian stalker. We have to out-source stalkers now??? Pop Psychologist Dr. Drew had a stalker who wanted to kill him...

You get the idea, for poorer Cons it is all about the Benjamins but there are other reasons for personal/home security.

#1 in the domestic box office is "piss poor"?

30 million opening and your'e bragging ?

I havn't seen it, and don't plan to but I promise that movie is shallow and filled with tired action flick cliches.

It might impress and entertain people like you, hell it was produced for people like you but I tend to set my standards a bit higher when it comes to what I spend my money on.

And its too bad, the guy who made it made District 12, which was a good film.

I guess he caved into the drek that Hollywoods known for.

I saw Elysium. It was just...bad. I mean...really bad. Premise was goofy, the acting was goofy (holy **** someone needs to tell Jodie Foster to stop using accents in her roles), the message was childish, the special effects barely passable and the science behind the whole thing was just stupid. If it continues to bomb it will do so not because people are tired of being preached to in movies (they are) but because it is really just a bad movie.

In surveys it was discovered that 78% of simpletons were able to spell 'simpleton' correctly.

Cool you have access to spell check.

So do I, we all do, but I'm not so desperate for attention that I need to ignore context and focus on a a typo or a misspelled word.

What I don't understand about Elysium is why the rich are painted as the bad guys as if a bunch of poor people tried to breaking in and looting Matt dameons house he wouldn't have private security keep them out by any means necessary. It just seems kind of hypocritical to me as dameon is lecturing us about income inequality from on top of his piles of money.
EVeryone has a little hypocrite in them but for what it is worth, there are a few in Hollywood that appear to at least try to walk the walk. Dont pretend to know the guy but from what I have seen with Damon he is one of them. Him...Susan Sarandon, Leonardo DiCaprio...just from what I have read they are at least consistent.

Who's bragging? Do
you understand English? You keep using lots of words, but there seems to be no indication you understand what they mean.

No you mentioned it was number one !!! ......Domestically......LOL !!

Nice qualifier there.

Elysium, a summer Hollywood " Blockbuster" has a very limited appeal.

Well no sh**, look at its opening numbers

EVeryone has a little hypocrite in them but
for what it is worth, there are a few in Hollywood that appear to at least try to walk the walk. Dont pretend to know the guy but from what I have seen with Damon he is one of them. Him...Susan Sarandon, Leonardo DiCaprio...just from what I have read they are at least consistent.

Matt Damon's the real deal ? He argues for the value of public school but sends his kids to a exclusive private institution.

No, he's not consistent.

There's no doubt Damn is not "right wing", but he's criticized Obama on many occasions. I think what scares "right wingers" so much about Damon is the fact he seems to enjoy having the ability to think for himself.

In the interest of full disclosure, Matt Damon is undoubtedly my favorite actor.

I'm surprised the right wing does not embrace Damon. He has strong family values. But I forgot if your a dem that doesn't matter.

Matt Damon's the real deal ? He argues for the value of public school but sends his kids to a exclusive private institution.

No, he's not consistent.
Like I said...everyone has a little hypocrite in them. I dont know that it is realistic for him to send his kid to public school, do you? I mean...would that be a distraction? Would that cause problems for not just his own kid in school but also others? Im guessing he probably isnt living in a slum so his kid would go to a better public school...but that could still be a distraction and detrimental to everyone involved.

No you mentioned it was number one !!! ......Domestically......LOL !!

As in "not piss poor"

Nice qualifier there.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why that qualifier was there, considering the context being discussed, but I suppose it WOULD take a non retard to figure it out.

Elysium, a summer Hollywood " Blockbuster" has a very limited appeal.

Well no sh**, look at its opening numbers

Since when is 30 million domestic "piss poor"?

Also, what did you think of District 9's incredibly left wing message?

Matt Damon also created one of the best movies ever in Good Will Hunting.
Thanks to Robin Williams.
The Bourne movies are his best work.
But you cannot be a flaming liberal anti gun anti 2A left winger and be taken seriously in action shoot 'em ups.

Thanks to Robin Williams.
The Bourne movies are his best work.
But you cannot be a flaming liberal anti gun anti 2A left winger and be taken seriously in action shoot 'em ups.
Thats actually my favorite part...the number of very committed anti-gun liberal actors that then trip over themselves in roles they get to carry guns and be total 'badasses'. :lamo

Damon was very good in Good Will Hunting (it pains me to say it but so was Ben Affleck), but you are right...Williams carried the movie.

What I don't understand about many 'conservatives' is they seem quite selective when they attempt to separate fantasy from fact.

Elysium is a MOVIE, Matt an ACTOR. John Wayne was a draft dodger in WWII yet he played many tough guy Marines in movies. Elysium is pushing the rich poor segregation far past gated communities and private security.

I do think security for celebs goes far beyond the simple rich poor cliche. Many stars have been attacked not for profit but for fame and some delusional belief the star is meant to be with the kooky fan. Rebecca Schaeffer comes to mind, murdered in her own doorway by a stalker. John Lennon was killed to impress another star. Erin Andrews has been stalked, photographed nude through a peephole and threatened with death. Madonna had a stalker of questionable taste- either she would marry him or he would slash her face??? Shawn Johnson won Olympic gold and got a stalker of her very own. Even Ryan Seacrest has had a stalker- that IS this world coming too???? Hillary Duff had a Russian stalker. We have to out-source stalkers now??? Pop Psychologist Dr. Drew had a stalker who wanted to kill him...

You get the idea, for poorer Cons it is all about the Benjamins but there are other reasons for personal/home security.
It's art and if you don't question the message of a piece of art you allowing somone to have influence over you. So while I can seperate fantasy from reality I also recognize that the message of fantasy can have a huge impact on thought in reality. Also don't liberals bash a piece of fiction like atlas shrugged in the same way?

John Lennon was killed to impress another star? I don't remember that.

It's art and if you don't question the message of a piece of art you allowing somone to have influence over you. So while I can seperate fantasy from reality I also recognize that the message of fantasy can have a huge impact on thought in reality. Also don't liberals bash a piece of fiction like atlas shrugged in the same way?

If fantasy did that then wouldn't 'Atlas Shrugged' been a bigger influence? I don't recall liberals making up crap hit pieces like Breitbart just did for Matt Damon movies- please show me.

Personaly I think Cons give movies too much power.

John Lennon was killed to impress another star? I don't remember that.

My bad, Lennon was shot by an angry 'fan', President Reagan was shot by a man wanting to impress a star.... we pick that nit well enough to suit you???

If it seems hypocritical to you, then you
clearly don't know the meaning of the word hypocritical. Damon has donated significant amounts of money AND time helping those less fortunate.

Matt Damon: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars

How much exactly and its not much of a hardship for a rich man to participate in altruistic endeavors.

When it came down to it, he chose an exclusive private school for his kids, rather than follow his own example on the importance of public education.

If fantasy did that then wouldn't 'Atlas Shrugged' been a bigger influence? I don't recall liberals making up crap hit pieces like Breitbart just did for Matt Damon movies- please show me.

Personaly I think Cons give movies too much power.

I'm not gonna debate someone who needs to call names to try and make there point.

I'm not gonna debate someone who needs to call names to try and make there point.

'call names'??? you are a very sensitive young con.... (their point)

But then again you never debated the issue did you? That of a well identified partisan hack using Brietbart to try and push a lie that is a complete fail.

You try and make the tail wag the dog. Hollywood doesn't make movies as part of some propaganda effort by the liberal agenda back room policy wonks.... The liberal wonks don't pay cash money to produce these films, the films are paid for with attendance by the public. No one comes, the movie doesn't make money.

So movies are made that execs think the public wants to see. Cartoons, horror, action- too much 'message' and too few fill the seats. These Execs don't use Soro's money but borrowed money from investors- not pay-off no job for that Exec.

bad small town sheriff in Rambo, E-Vile CIA in Reds, E-Vile corporations are popular of late- I guess many real people don't think corporations are people too- well at least not NICE people. :2razz:

Problem with many Cons is they see ANY message they don't like, even a hint of one like in the 'Happy Feet' cartoons as WAAAAAY too much message. There was a Bible mini-series made on a shoe string that was wildly popular. I recall mainstream media giving it rave reviews AND bringing the stars/producers on the sound bite promotion circuit.

But the Cons prefer to see a vast liberal agenda... :roll:

Back
Top Bottom