• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jan 6 Select Committee Hearings - are you watching

You just made my point. You think it's a dog and pony show. Why? Did the capitol get attacked, or was it just a typical tourist visit? And if it was an attack, a violent attack, why shouldn't they be investigating it?

I am sure you've had plenty of time to get your answers from right wing TV. They spent the entire night last night making fun of the officers testimony and the hearing itself. I fail to see how you people sleep at night.
The purpose of this dog and pony show isn't about "the attack". Hell, the DOJ is already dealing with that. The purpose of this dog and pony show is to provide the media with over-the-top spin, speculation, innuendo and lies to use against Trump, his supporters and anyone who is even thinking about voting against Democrats in 2022 and 2024.

I don't watch TV. I don't even own a TV. And you'll maybe notice that the links I provided didn't come from a source that is right wing. Mediaite is unabashedly far left.

The actions of an unknown (at least, to the public) number of the crazy ass, violent Trumpsters involved do appear to fit the legal description of insurrectionists. Seditionists too.
View attachment 67345029

View attachment 67345030
Thanks, but I'll take the opinion of a Federal Prosecutor on the matter over your armchair interpretation of the law. 🤷‍♂️
The office of the United States attorney for the District of Columbia has a “Sedition Task Force” focused on the January 6 riot . . . but it doesn’t have a sedition case.​
Federal prosecutors haven’t charged any terrorism offenses, but, as a rationale for denying one defendant bail, they are trying to convince a skeptical federal judge that by damaging a doorway in forcing her way into the Capitol — a crime often treated as a misdemeanor, and for which the maximum sentence is just ten years — she committed a “crime of terrorism.”​
Let’s be real. With due respect to Attorney General Merrick Garland, the Capitol melee is by no stretch of the imagination the greatest threat to our democracy in living memory. It is not 9/11. It is not the Boston Marathon bombing. Indeed, the June 14, 2017, Washington baseball field shooting spree, in which a radical leftist tried to mass-murder much of the Republican congressional delegation, bore more hallmarks of a terrorist attack — albeit one that, like the deadly Black Lives Matter riots of last summer, the media-Democrat complex always remembers to forget.​
What the Capitol Riot Prosecutions Tell Us
The rioters will be punished appropriately, but not punished as if they were terrorists who were trying to overthrow the United States government.​
By ANDREW C. MCCARTHY, June 12, 2021​

'Let’s be real.'

McCarthy would seem to have far more credibility.

What does he want? Maybe 21 million illegals being invited into the country in his first term?
so nice to hear you are receptive to actual policies and don’t have a totally closed mind.

I know this is what we are going to get a lot of, comments and opinions of those who didn't watch it but gleaned their "thoughts" from snippets . Tuckers' show tonight ought to be a beut!

BTW, Tucker gave a pretty darn good summary of the hearing today for those, like me, who didn't watch the hearing. Tears were flowing and not one tear for all the deaths of the summer riots. And, the officers talking about how out of control it was and how overrun they were - yet nothing about WHY they were so unstaffed and unprepared.
Neither will be addressed in this tearful (looked like fake tears from Schiff and embarrassing tears from Kinzinger) witch hunt.

Called it! Astounding how so many get their snippets of information from partisan talking heads and repeat it as if it was gospel. Anyone who watched that hearing would not have been so ready to regurgitate the Tucker view of it.

There is definitely a theme in the last many pages of this thread. Deflect to the summer riots no matter how ridiculous the comparison is and try. Why on earth would these officers be questioned about why they were understaffed and unprepared? They all mentioned that they were both understaffed and unprepared but those questions and answers are not for them, they are for those up the chain of command. The summer riots won't be addressed by this committee but you can be darn sure the staff preparedness and staffing will be in fact, it already has been and the bill to rectify much of what went wrong from a staffing, training and communications perspective is working its way through Congress right now.

He also rejected the proposed commission which would have had an equal number of Democrats and Republican appointed members. McConnell is an equal opportunity rejecter.
bearpoker I already covered why this is simply not true. But since you apparently didn’t see it I’ll share it again.

Speaker Pelosi’s draft differs significantly from this approach. It calls for an 11-member commission with three commissioners, including the Chair, appointed by the President. The eight remaining appointments would be evenly split between House and Senate leaders of both parties, with the Vice Chair selected by the Republican leaders of the House and Senate. The three appointments that would be filled by President Biden, however, would result in a seven-four breakdown of members appointed by Democrats and Republicans, respectively.

Which is appropriate but certainly not applied evenly. The summer riots are a clear example of the double standard of justice.
Do you actually think all the damage and rioting were leftists during the summer? if it was only BLM it would have been peaceful. The inciters just had to disrupt. That’s a convenient out for the radical RW who thought they could blame the insurrection on Antifa and BLM. They should have left their MAGA gear home,

Yes and, in fact, right after the 1/6 riot, there was tremendous bipartisan agreement. I don't know of a single Republican who supported those rioting (very unlike Dems and the summer riots, BTW).
Quoted fro truth. Where's the investigation into this? The silence, and in some cases the support, for the summer riots which killed many, injured thousands, and burned thousands of businesses down to the ground.

Almost Half of Federal Cases Against Portland Rioters Have ...

Apr 15, 2021 — Many charges arising from the Capitol riot have been more serious, ... 2021, print edition as 'Many Portland Riot Cases Dropped.'.​

Charges dropped against 37 people arrested during Atlanta ...

Jan 8, 2021 — Charges have been dismissed in 37 cases against people who participated in Atlanta protests last summer, authorities said Friday.​

Dimond: Why most arrested rioters will not be prosecuted

Jun 28, 2021 — Perhaps you've heard about charges being dropped against most of last summer's George Floyd protestors. Prosecutors from Oregon to New York ...​

Portland protests: Feds quietly dismiss dozens of cases | kgw ...

Mar 2, 2021 — Some of the most serious charges dropped include four defendants charged ... talk coming from the U.S. Department of Justice last summer.​
Where's the investigation into this?
We clearly have a bifurcated justice system, where differing justice standards ally depending on your politics. This is not how this is supposed to work.

We had a great opportunity for bipartisan agreement. But no, Dems decided to use the event to lump all Republicans into a "terrorist" designation. And, here we are.
This is exactly the political ploy the Democrats are engaging, as predicted. Democrats demand is that Republicans should bow down and submit to this BS?
BTW, Tucker gave a pretty darn good summary of the hearing today for those, like me, who didn't watch the hearing. Tears were flowing and not one tear for all the deaths of the summer riots. And, the officers talking about how out of control it was and how overrun they were - yet nothing about WHY they were so unstaffed and unprepared.
Agreed. A key question to prevent any future repeat is this question:

Ex-Capitol Police Chief Says Requests For National Guard ...

Jan 11, 2021 — Steven Sund contradicts reports that help was not requested, saying security officials at the House and Senate rebuffed calls for assistance ...​
Missing: 5 ‎| Must include: 5

Outgoing Capitol Police chief: House, Senate security officials ...

Jan 10, 2021 — It was the first of six times Sund's request for help was ... the first National Guard personnel didn't arrive at the Capitol until 5:40 ...​
Why am I skeptical and cynical that this 'investigation' will be steered away from answering this question, let alone even permitted this question to be asked.
Neither will be addressed in this tearful (looked like fake tears from Schiff and embarrassing tears from Kinzinger) witch hunt.
All acting and by direction, for the cameras.

I’ve tended to put myself at arm’s distance from the idea that members of Congress abetted the insurrectionists or assisted in its planning on some level. It’s just a little too conspiratorial for my tastes. But when I see this interview I can’t help but agree that every republican who spoke with trump that day needs to testify. This is testament to the argument that it was right for Jordan to be rejected from the committee as he might be a witness.

bearpoker I already covered why this is simply not true. But since you apparently didn’t see it I’ll share it again.

That was a draft. A starting point in negociations, not the bill that was actually rejected.

Composition​

Under the provisions of the bill, the commission would have been composed of ten members, outside of the federal government, appointed by congressional leaders. The four party leaders in Congress (Nancy Pelosi, Kevin McCarthy, Chuck Schumer, Mitch McConnell) would have each appointed two members, with Democratic leaders jointly appointing the chair and the Republican leaders jointly appointing the vice-chair. This would have allowed Democrats and Republicans to appoint equal number of members.[9]

The commissioners would have been tasked with filing a report by the end of 2021, and ending 60 days after that.[9]

This is exactly the political ploy the Democrats are engaging, as predicted. Democrats demand is that Republicans should bow down and submit to this BS?

Agreed. A key question to prevent any future repeat is this question:

Ex-Capitol Police Chief Says Requests For National Guard ...

Jan 11, 2021 — Steven Sund contradicts reports that help was not requested, saying security officials at the House and Senate rebuffed calls for assistance ...​
Missing: 5 ‎| Must include: 5

Outgoing Capitol Police chief: House, Senate security officials ...

Jan 10, 2021 — It was the first of six times Sund's request for help was ... the first National Guard personnel didn't arrive at the Capitol until 5:40 ...​
Why am I skeptical and cynical that this 'investigation' will be steered away from answering this question, let alone even permitted this question to be asked.

All acting and by direction, for the cameras.
It was day one. give it a few days. I sure we will learn more. You will have to wait for Tuckers opinion though. It stands to reason the RW would get talking points from a Pundit rather than making their own conclusions. It’s hard to leave that bubble where they are spoonfed talking points.

You should speak at a rally. They'd love this b.s.

Ninjas paid for by "stop the steal" terrorists sniffing my ballot for signs of Panda Poo is ridiculous.
That effort will find whatever that effort will, and present it. It'll be considered and decided by the appropriate people in charge to do so. 🤷‍♂️
This has been my position for all the legal election challenges raised. They will achieve whatever they will achieve, or not.
Investigating a domestic terror attack on the Capital of the United States is not.
Wasn't 'domestic terror attack'. There you go again, exaggerating and spewing hyperbole.
The office of the United States attorney for the District of Columbia has a “Sedition Task Force” focused on the January 6 riot . . . but it doesn’t have a sedition case.​
Federal prosecutors haven’t charged any terrorism offenses, but, as a rationale for denying one defendant bail, they are trying to convince a skeptical federal judge that by damaging a doorway in forcing her way into the Capitol — a crime often treated as a misdemeanor, and for which the maximum sentence is just ten years — she committed a “crime of terrorism.”​
Let’s be real. With due respect to Attorney General Merrick Garland, the Capitol melee is by no stretch of the imagination the greatest threat to our democracy in living memory. It is not 9/11. It is not the Boston Marathon bombing. Indeed, the June 14, 2017, Washington baseball field shooting spree, in which a radical leftist tried to mass-murder much of the Republican congressional delegation, bore more hallmarks of a terrorist attack — albeit one that, like the deadly Black Lives Matter riots of last summer, the media-Democrat complex always remembers to forget.​
What the Capitol Riot Prosecutions Tell Us
The rioters will be punished appropriately, but not punished as if they were terrorists who were trying to overthrow the United States government.​
By ANDREW C. MCCARTHY, June 12, 2021​
McCarthy simply has far more credibility as per the applicable laws than you. Sorry.
The saddest part of this whole thing is that you don't know the difference. Well, you're about to find out.
Saddest thing is that you've taken to exaggeration and hyperbole, as if on cue, as if directed by someone. Doesn't make that exaggeration and hyperbole anymore accurate.

Yes and, in fact, right after the 1/6 riot, there was tremendous bipartisan agreement. I don't know of a single Republican who supported those rioting (very unlike Dems and the summer riots, BTW).

Quoted fro truth. Where's the investigation into this? The silence, and in some cases the support, for the summer riots which killed many, injured thousands, and burned thousands of businesses down to the ground.
I wanna talk about the summer riots......I don't wanna talk about January 6th. and you can't make me!

let's take a look at some of what they had to work with:

Someone's inflamed political rhetoric?
Why is it that you are fauxraged only that when you politically disagree with them and that political rhetoric?
That might be a good question for self-re-examination.

Silly Trumpster, still trying to hide behind the ridiculous “collusion” argument. Mueller made very clear in his report that “collusion” isn’t a legal term, and therefore could not have been part of his investigation.

“Collusion is not a specific offense or theory of liability found in the United States Code, nor is it a term of art in federal criminal law,” “For those reasons, the Office’s focus in analyzing questions of joint criminal liability was on conspiracy as defined in federal law.”

As for possible conspiracy (the actual legally defined offense that was investigated), investigators found that Trump campaign members and advisors met with Russian citizens and active Russian officials on more than 100 occasions, and that there was insufficient evidence to bring charges.

“while the investigation identified numerous links between individuals with ties to the Russian government and individuals associated with the Trump Campaign, the evidence was not sufficient to support criminal charges.”

Then there are the, at least four, occasions during Mueller’s investigation that Trump attempted to obstruct justice, but Mueller was constrained from being able to recommend charges based on a decades old OLC memo.

"If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the president clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment."

Educate yourself.
Your explanation would be better served if you could share it with Schiff.

Responding to attacks by White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, Rep. Adam Schiff on Sunday insisted his criticism of the Trump administration was not wrong, saying there was “ample evidence of collusion in plain sight.”
Perhaps Schiff should have shared that “ample evidence” during Trump’s impeachment trial.

OK. Doesn't change the fact that there have been nine investigations in the House so far. This is the tenth.

Doesn't change the fact that "requests" for documents and testimony can be [and were] rejected.

Can't play those GOP games with this Commission. And the DoJ has now ruled that no one can hide behind "executive privilege" in regards to this Commission.

And the DoJ has now ruled that no one can hide behind "executive privilege" in regards to this Commission.
That will be a sticking point for Trump. Hooray! Let’s see how he lies his way out of it.

It was day one. give it a few days. I sure we will learn more.
Fair. It is just day one. Let's see if my expectations are met or not.
You will have to wait for Tuckers opinion though. It stands to reason the RW would get talking points from a Pundit rather than making their own conclusions. It’s hard to leave that bubble where they are spoonfed talking points.
So much BS. My expectations of what this 'investigation' is going to become, how it is going to be conducted by the Democrats, are my own. Perhaps you are just projecting?

Or how they win...right?
I trust our election system, always have.
Even when it came down to a SCOTUS decision on Bush v Gore.
I didn't suddenly distrust the system in 2020.

I wanna talk about the summer riots......I don't wanna talk about January 6th. and you can't make me!
No, pointing out an obviously apparent disparity in the application of the law.
You know, something that's no supposed to happen?
One of those legal foundational principals 'Everyone equal before the law'.

It also supports the conclusion that the US has a bifurcated justice system, this having been called out a number of times previously.

Fair. It is just day one. Let's see if my expectations are met or not.

So much BS. My expectations of what this 'investigation' is going to become, how it is going to be conducted by the Democrats, are my own. Perhaps you are just projecting?
I hope you are actually listening to the hearings and making a open minded opinion on what you hear. I can respect that. Second opinions are usually biased.

Back
Top Bottom