• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It started with a mock ‘slave trade’ and a school resolution against racism. Now a war over critical race theory is tearing this small town apart.

The district will no longer add "marginalized" authors to their library.

Yes, those students were really, really, really stupid.

One should never, ever mock slave auctions.

I have read that the city is 90% Caucasian.

But now with all the bad publicity given in the liberal media about that stunt, their beloved city will no doubt start seeing a lot of newcomers.

Indeed, as they say it is free of racism!

Just more dishonesty by you. You are the one making the claim/declaration. The burden is on you to prove it.
That isn't shifting the burden. And you still haven't met that burden.
It's common sense. You have no desire to discuss the topic and instead will continue to hide behind your burden of proof fallacy. Again, this is the only way you engage people in any thread on any topic.

At this point you're trying to troll and are so desperate to have the last word you're purposely bypassing the notification function desperately hoping i won't see your post.
All you are doing is deflecting because you can not show it was racist.
The toxicity continues.

Wrong as usual.
You made commentary about assuming without evidence. That is all. Regardless if you want to repeat yourself or not.

You still have not shown it was racist, nor could you.
You must think this is a viable tactic because you keep using it.
We are done here. Enjoy your hill

No. It is definitely racial and ethnic, but you have not shown it is racist.

Arranging a mock slave trade of African American students and advocating for “another Holocaust” is not racist in what world?

Well yes progressivism is a disease but you can't tell them that. We just need to have patience and wait for the disease to run its course.
What disease makes a 'game' called "Slave Trade" sound like a silly kids game?

oh my god right wingers think literally everything about race is a result of CRT.

It sounds like a silly kids game that are played by youth exploring boundaries but no worries I am sure there are a bunch of woke progressives who will blow this out of porportion. Let the faux poutrage commence.
Yep. Who hasn't figured out that most that kind of thing is done by internet trolls just trying to spark reactions.

Yep. Who hasn't figured out that most that kind of thing is done by internet trolls just trying to spark reactions.
That's going from internet trolling to internet confessing their true nature.

Just like those who think it's a silly kids game.

It's common sense.
iLOL Wrong.

You have no desire to discuss the topic and instead will continue to hide behind your burden of proof fallacy.
1. The only fallacy here is in your claims.
And this current claim of yours here is as idiotic as it is wrong.

2. Demanding another support their claim like I am doing is part of, and advances the debate/discussion.
Dismissing and refusing to provide like you are doing shows no desire to actually debate/discuss.

At this point you're trying to troll ...
Asking another person to support their claims is not trolling.
Thinking it is, is idiotic.

you're purposely bypassing the notification function desperately hoping i won't see your post.you're purposely bypassing the notification function desperately hoping i won't see your post.
iLOL
I couldn't care less about your absurd thoughts, that includes whether you think you were notified or not.

The toxicity continues.
Yes, your toxicity continues.
Maybe someday you will learn to support your claims so your posts are not as toxic.

Arranging a mock slave trade of African American students and advocating for “another Holocaust” is not racist in what world?
This world.
1. Nuances. What matters is the intent behind the actions. If racist intent is not there, it is not racist.
And no, I am not saying there was no racist intent, I am asking for the evidence that it was.
Simply claiming something is racist because it involves people of color doesn't cut it.
It may simply be motivated by prejudice instead of racism but you will never know because apparently you lack the ability to distinguish between the two and default to basically everything negative against those of color is racist.

2a. The Holocaust was a comment by one person. It is not attributable to the whole.
That would be like some KKK democrat here calling for the genocide of all blacks and then someone like you coming along and attributing that to everyone else on the board.
That would be an idiotic position to take.
2b. The Holocaust is about an ethnicity, not a race and does not even come near the requirements of racist/racism.

Can't fight bad
Hate crimes....

No, hate crimes have to actually break a law to be categorized as a hate crime based on a racial issue. Or else they would be arresting the KKK right now. It might also be a freedom of speech violation.
Not that I condone any student of such behavior, I wouldn't arrest them because if it either.

No hate crime or crime was committed. And the supreme court just made a ruling on schools being able to punish students for speech outside of school. They weren't for it.

Excellent example. The cheerleading case in social media. Schools can't punish for things outside the classroom, within reason if course.

Nobody is teaching Critical Race Theory in public school. CRT is a law school class.

It's funny how in America we try to sanitize our dark history. In Germany, when it was learned that many German school children didn't know about the holocaust they doubled their efforts to teach them.

Slavery, racial discrimination and government policies designed to racially discriminate are part of American history.

The right wing doesn't want to teach this history because if we paper over the history of discriminatory policies to explain different outcomes today, they can conclude that blacks aren't making it because they are inferior.

Talking actual facts about slavery that actually happened is fine. But suggesting highly speculative opinions as fact, such as explicit bias...systematic racism...and passing it off as fact, has no place in education.

"But White parents say their hometown was never racist — at least not until an obsession with race began infecting the school system through its embrace of CRT"

Blaming the existence of racism on a desire to fight racism? I suppose nobody ever accused the scum of having intelligence....

It's your claim:

It's going to be difficult to reconcile this claim....

This isn't a case of fair use or free speech with respect to cyber bullying. If an NBA player criticizes referees and goes on a Twitter tirade, the NBA is well within their rights invoke a punitive response... often in the tune of fines and suspensions. If an NBA player goes on Twitter and rants, "niggers are ruining the sport", what do you think would happen?

In this particular case, these students are not being protected the way world class athletes will be. That's the difference. Their community should rush to their defense just like any league (in this case the NBA) would for black athletes.

Nevertheless, hate speech is a violation. Don't believe me??? Try it here. 🙂

Hate speech goes well beyond the realm of tasteless... why are you defending this?

Cyber bullying, and that's what we're discussing, is going to be difficult to protect under the guise of the first amendment. It is avowedly wished that social media platforms suppress hate speech. If they aren't up to the task.....

You're trying to equivocate hate speech with unpopular critical opinions... this is why you lose.

😑

Cyber bullying at a minimum, has to be directed to an individual or individuals specifically. Simply posting racist propaganda, isn't cyber bullying.

Voluntary working for a Job vs mandatory school students are separate issues which isn't indicative for the same punishment.

Talking actual facts about slavery that actually happened is fine. But suggesting highly speculative opinions as fact, such as explicit bias...systematic racism...and passing it off as fact, has no place in education.
That's a strawman, because no public school suggesting highly speculative opinions as fact. It is a fact that there is a long history of economic racism -- the banks wouldn't give black people loans to buy homes, which made them renters and decreased equity that parents could leave their children. Blacks in the South were largely farm workers, which SSA exempted, which also contributed to unequal wealth. Those are facts.

"A group of mostly White students attending two of Traverse City’s high schools, including Nevaeh’s, had held a mock slave auction on the social media app, “trading” their Black peers for money. ...The Snapchat group, titled “slave trade,” also saw a student share the messages “all blacks should die” and “let’s start another holocaust,” according to screenshots obtained by The Washington Post. It spurred the fast-tracking of a school equity resolution that condemned racism and vowed Traverse City Area Public Schools would better educate its overwhelmingly White student body and teaching staff on how to live in a diverse country.

..In interviews, children of color in Traverse City reported enduring years of harassment in the classroom and on the playing field. Black, Native American and LGBTQ students said casual racism, sexism and homophobia form part of daily life. Some White children said they have witnessed this, too. The Snapchat incident was unsurprising to them: “I was more surprised that somebody found out about it and it got to the news,” said Eve Mosqueda, 15, who is Native American and Mexican, adding that other kids throughout elementary school had asked her if she lived in a teepee.

...But White parents say their hometown was never racist — at least not until an obsession with race began infecting the school system through its embrace of CRT, an allegation school officials have denied. Now, these parents say, their children are coming home from school feeling ostracized for their conservatism and worried they must adhere to a liberal agenda to earn good grades on their assignments. The parents declined to make their children available for interviews, saying the students were either not interested or feared being labeled racist for sharing their beliefs."

Link

What a sad story, but, I'll bet, not an uncommon one. A loud pocket of white parents do not acknowledge race and are then powerfully resentful and when race and racist behavior comes up. The thing is, many of their own children are deeply interested in it. The story quotes no white child being upset by it. You can try, and trying is making things ugly, but you can't unstrike a bell.
I am not at all surprised. For minorities and immigrants, seeing bigoted white people display this level of victimhood, anger, and ignorance is very common. The opportunity proved by the school wasn’t about calling these people racist and shaming them. It’ was an opportunity for them to learn about others and racism, and become better people. They could have taken the opptunity to grow but no. It appears they felt threatened, drew inward, and took it out on minority classmates all over social media. They showed themselves to be racist, but now they are scared of being labeled racist. This mindset is so depraved, because while they can’t handle the consequences of their own actions they show no empathy or concern for the non white kids they inflicted harm on. It’s so offensive.

That's a strawman, because no public school suggesting highly speculative opinions as fact. It is a fact that there is a long history of economic racism -- the banks wouldn't give black people loans to buy homes, which made them renters and decreased equity that parents could leave their children. Blacks in the South were largely farm workers, which SSA exempted, which also contributed to unequal wealth. Those are facts.

In fact, many schools are. Such as advocating certain protests that have nothing to do with history, but indoctrination into an idealogy.

And I wonder why many young people need a calculator to determine how much change they should give for an $0.89 purchase paid for with $1.00.

White Parents: "Our kids have the right to be racist."
Same old, same old.

Back
Top Bottom