• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It is now illegal to film Police Officers while on duty

Yout not understanding. Under a Stop Light Camera system, it is NOT the same as being charged by an Officer. It is a civil penalty, like a parking ticket. It does NOT put points on your license.

Nice spin is the police in court? What government agency issues the ticket. What government agency monitors the cameras and is responsible for their proper operation? If the police do not issue the ticket who does?

Where? Because in Ft. Collins you can have them, but it's not regulated how big, where, and how visible. So we have several that are small signs hidden behind a poll. And I don't believe that requiring a warning is a federal law; I believe it's up to the local governments to choose. More whitewashing I suppose. Anything to excuse the state. And what about those vans they put on roads? Do you have to post that they're there? Not here. What about cameras on the interstate? Is it required everywhere that they post warnings? Hmmm. It seems that you are very very willing to look over details on anything which may cast negative light on the government or hold police officers accountable. Statists....bah, no reasoning with them.

Well, it might be up to the state, I can't speak for your state.
Also, just because a camera is present doesn't mean it is a working "Red Light Camera". We have many cameras at intersections downtown, they are used to monitor downtown events, and are very helpful in determining where problems with downtown events start.
Interstate cameras are used to monitor traffic flow, most of the time for statistical/research purposes to find out what is causing traffic congestion problems so civil engineers can make adjustments as needed.

The vans are operated by people, who then call in information to other people, who stop vehicles and issue citations, which you can contest in court if you don't like it.

:roll: Your starting to sound paranoid again by going off on tangents.

Nice spin is the police in court? What government agency issues the ticket. What government agency monitors the cameras and is responsible for their proper operation? If the police do not issue the ticket who does?

There is no court date. It is a CIVIL FINE. Like A PARKING TICKET. Im about to just put you on ignore since you continue to ignore what I am talking about, intentionally, just to be a pain in the ass.
The group that is responsible for the proper operation of the program is usually contracted with the city. Of course, as mentioned with Ikari, local differences may apply.

What a strange law. If the police are doing nothing wrong, surely then they would not mind being filmed? It is as if they are admitting to doing things they want to hide.

It is now illegal to film Police Officers while on duty

:wassat1:

I don't think they'll be able to stop us.
Cell-phone/video recorders are now too ubiquitous.

In all honesty, I think it has more to do with posting videos online than just taking them.

Once the video is posted, heh, its easy to tell who had the camera.

There is no court date. It is a CIVIL FINE. Like A PARKING TICKET. Im about to just put you on ignore since you continue to ignore what I am talking about, intentionally, just to be a pain in the ass.
The group that is responsible for the proper operation of the program is usually contracted with the city. Of course, as mentioned with Ikari, local differences may apply.
So you can't get due process and go to court?

I guess not? I dunno.

Its a ****ing retarded law, made by...... LEGISLATORS unlike what some folks in this thread seem to be focused on, as if cops makes the laws.

Where did the motivation for this retarded law come from? Probably from ignorant ass "Police Unions" which I also could give two ****s about.

Where do their concerns come from? Probably a number of various topics, many of which haven't been bothered to be mentioned in this thread, safety for the officer and his family as people post videos of officers doing their job to Facebook and now everyone knows this guy is an officer so they can blast his ass when he is in public off duty with his family, not to mention officers who wish to work in undercover positions some day and now every two bit thug wanna be knows what they look like, etc.

But of course, any time the police are mentioned, first thing to come to peoples minds aren't that that police are members of the public just like everyone else, its "EVIL ABUSIVE RIGHTS VIOLATING BASTARDS!" when this situation occurs very infrequently.

Thanks Mainstream Media!

First off, its good to see you, a police offer, clearly stating this law is wrong. Whatever I may say about police forces in general, from my exchanges with you, I believe you're a fine police officer and we'd have a lot less problems if all cops acted as you do.

And yes, this law was passed by legislators. I assume everyone here knows that. But like most laws, I'm sure there were special interest groups pushing for this law to be passed. And as you said, those groups most likely are police unions, who for better or worse, are supposedly representing the interests of cops. I understand no union speaks for all its members and sometimes not even the majority of its members, but it is an organization that is supposed to represent the police. When they speak or advocate a position, they are supposed to be doing so on behalf of its members. So if the unions were supporting or pushing for this law, its not an illogical leap to say that the police wanted it.

Now the possible reasons you give sound plausible, but honestly they are pretty thin. We all know no one filming or posting footage of a cop in a positive light would be prosecuted. This is strictly going to be enforced against footage that shows cops acting inappropriately (or at least that seems to show them acting inappropriately). And people have every right to be upset at the blatant hypocrisy of how government has no problem about filming us more and more each day as we go out in public, but somehow objecting to when we film representatives of government in public.

As for your complaints about media, the media needs to cover and expose police corruption when it occurs. Law enforcement is given a tremendous amount of authority and public trust and they need to be held accountable for what they do with that authority and trust. Law enforcement SHOULD be held to a high standard. And if the media isn't going to serve as a watchdog (though admittedly an imperfect one) who will?

Wrong police enforcement and the courts are seperate parts of the government

But, they are both part of the same institution. The government, who I'm blaming, not the police, authorizes traffic cameras but doesn't allow you to film the cops.

Maybe so, but you would only be able to use the film for private viewing and showing then. If you showed evidence of police brutality to any authority, then they would see the crime you have done.

What I wonder about this ignorant **** is do they go after news media organization that cover events where police are present? I mean, how far is this law being taken?
I was a on a DWI checkpoint last night, a news crew showed up and we allowed them to park in a nearby area, come out there and film us for a story, even allowed them space on the median that we were using as a centerline area of operations between checking travel in both directions to film and do their thing. We had absolutely no problem with it, and in fact helped them get whatever footage they needed. The media can help us raise awareness about certain things if we work together with them, and sometimes that includes filming Officers while they are working. In this case, they film us on a DWI checkpoint and their coverage of that story reminds people that we are out there enforcing impaired driving laws, so maybe they should think twice about a night out without a good plan to get home safely. Its a Win/Win. They get a story, and we get to increase awareness to laws that improve the public safety.

I just don't understand how this law would be selectively enforced, and who thought it would be a good idea.

Well, it might be up to the state, I can't speak for your state.
Also, just because a camera is present doesn't mean it is a working "Red Light Camera". We have many cameras at intersections downtown, they are used to monitor downtown events, and are very helpful in determining where problems with downtown events start.

Yes, I know

Interstate cameras are used to monitor traffic flow, most of the time for statistical/research purposes to find out what is causing traffic congestion problems so civil engineers can make adjustments as needed.

Some issue tickets. I think it's AZ which has some which do.

The vans are operated by people, who then call in information to other people, who stop vehicles and issue citations, which you can contest in court if you don't like it.

They're photo vans. They work just like the ones at intersections, but are mobile. They set the van up somewhere, and if you're going X over the speed limit, it takes a series of pictures and you get a ticket in the mail just as you would with any other photo enforcement.

Your starting to sound paranoid again by going off on tangents.

And you're sounding like a statist, using hyperbole and deflect; trying to pretend that what's being used isn't being used (like the traffic van thing...pretending it's something that it's not). Try to be a little more honest or at least researched on the matter. Not everything is as your station or State does it so maybe you should stop talking like the way you do things is the way it's done all over. Maybe do some reading and figure out what other stations are doing. That way when people talk about how cities and states use photo enforcement for fund raising, you won't be so ignorant on the matter.

And you're sounding like a statist, using hyperbole and deflect; trying to pretend that what's being used isn't being used (like the traffic van thing...pretending it's something that it's not). Try to be a little more honest or at least researched on the matter. Not everything is as your station or State does it so maybe you should stop talking like the way you do things is the way it's done all over. Maybe do some reading and figure out what other stations are doing. That way when people talk about how cities and states use photo enforcement for fund raising, you won't be so ignorant on the matter.

Its not for fund raising, its for awareness raising. If it causes people to slow down and pay more attention to their driving then its doing its job.

Its not for fund raising, its for awareness raising. If it causes people to slow down and pay more attention to their driving then its doing its job.

It doesn't. It does not slow people down or make them pay more attention. And that's engineered on purpose, if you change the behavior you lose out on the money. I have buddies that get popped by that van all the time in different places. They don't care. It's like a 15/20 dollar fine with no points attached. It's not behavior modifying. Especially since the "punishment" comes so much later after the action. They fines are purposefully light because the idea is to aggregate over a large enough population as to make it worthwhile. The light fines makes it so the individuals of that population do not bitch because the price is too high or there are points attached. Thus you keep people from bitching by making the fine below some threshold level of aggravation. You ensure that there is no behavioral modification, and you play the part of a baleen whale to increase revenue. That's that.

Can it be for safety? Yes, and some clearly are. We had a major problem intersection. Put up photo enforcement with a big ol' sign well before the stop light warning of it. It did get better. But other photo enforcement is for fund raising. The signs are small and hidden so that people don't see it. The photo vans are almost entirely for fund raising. So while this can be used for safety reasons, it doesn't have to be used for safety reasons. And if you're going to be honest about this, you'll find that there is a surprisingly large amount of photo enforcement being used for things unrelated to safety reasons.

It doesn't. It does not slow people down or make them pay more attention. And that's engineered on purpose, if you change the behavior you lose out on the money. I have buddies that get popped by that van all the time in different places. They don't care. It's like a 15/20 dollar fine with no points attached. It's not behavior modifying. Especially since the "punishment" comes so much later after the action. They fines are purposefully light because the idea is to aggregate over a large enough population as to make it worthwhile. The light fines makes it so the individuals of that population do not bitch because the price is too high or there are points attached. Thus you keep people from bitching by making the fine below some threshold level of aggravation. You ensure that there is no behavioral modification, and you play the part of a baleen whale to increase revenue. That's that.

Can it be for safety? Yes, and some clearly are. We had a major problem intersection. Put up photo enforcement with a big ol' sign well before the stop light warning of it. It did get better. But other photo enforcement is for fund raising. The signs are small and hidden so that people don't see it. The photo vans are almost entirely for fund raising. So while this can be used for safety reasons, it doesn't have to be used for safety reasons. And if you're going to be honest about this, you'll find that there is a surprisingly large amount of photo enforcement being used for things unrelated to safety reasons.

People in your area must be morons.

Ive seen the camera systems work for speed and for lights.

I've seen a side of this you probably haven't seen.... the crash statistics..... the statistics of violators at the beginning and months later when the thing had been in operation for a while, etc etc.

All you see is, "CURSED GOVERNMENT TAXING ME ! WAHHHH"

I've seen a side of this you probably haven't seen.... the crash statistics..... the statistics of violators at the beginning and months later when the thing had been in operation for a while, etc etc.

How many rear end collisions caused by people stopping suddenly because of cameras?

It does not cause people to slow down and pay more attention. You keep repeating the same thing as if that will make it true. It's almost like your incapable of understanding or believing anything that isn't the State line word for word. The State says we're doing this for "awareness raising" that must be the one and only reason why these cameras are in place. But it's not. Their effectiveness is not well known. When you are placing small signs hidden in areas or no signs at all then you are doing fund raising. Plain and simple. And no amount of you trying to stick your head in the sand will change that. You can say "crash statistics", but they are definitive is corrected for other factors. Additionally, there are varying definitions for crashes at intersections. Some statistics take it to be immediate to the intersection, 50 feet before and after. Others, the ones which show the most dramatic decrease, extend that several hundred feet from the intersection. So in essence you start to include crashes mid-block. And with the reduction in driving in many big cities, that starts to look like something has happened.

But here's the thing, you may have seen the statistics, but I have seen the average American's ability to handle statistics and it's not good. So it doesn't say anything. Which definitions are you using? Which corrections were employed? You know? What crashes are we accounting for. See with a cash cow like these hidden photo enforcement things, the State won't want to let it go. They can make the numbers say anything they want, and they'll make them say whatever it is that backs their claim. You of course couldn't believe that, as you are a Statist. But it is all completely within their power, and it's not unheard of. Tons of people, companies, politicians, etc do the exact same thing. Because people don't question the statistics, they don't see where they came from, they don't see the correlation functions being used, they don't look at the definitions, etc. In short, people are stupid when it comes to statistics and everyone else knows it.

Additionally, the fines come well after the behavior, so there's no immediate connect. There are no points and the fines themselves, like those issued from those photo vans (I noticed how you tried not to bring that up again since it highlights how you were wrong, as you are wrong on this point) are very low, maybe 20 bucks. The point isn't to change a behavior, the point is to make the punishment low enough that you don't break some threshold of annoyance which would cause people to bitch. Then you just cast a big net, you issue enough tickets and you'll get a lot of money. And cities are cashing in HUGE on this. Some places, tens of millions a year.

So you can sit there and pretend, pretend that this isn't fund raising. But as with the vans, as with the "needing to post signs", you are wrong. As I said, try doing some research before you run your mouth so you don't look so ignorant on the matter.

Last edited:
How many rear end collisions caused by people stopping suddenly because of cameras?

LOL. You just showed the perfect example of drivers blaming their bad driving habits on cameras.

Stopping suddenly because of Cameras actually means stopping suddenly because the light turned red.

There is a thing called a "YELLOW LIGHT" it tells people that the red light is coming and they should prepare. This means slowing down appropriately, which yellow lights give individuals plenty of time to do.

Blaming a Camera on idiot driving practices just goes to show you probably need some driving refreshers.

It does not cause people to slow down and pay more attention. You keep repeating the same thing as if that will make it true. It's almost like your incapable of understanding or believing anything that isn't the State line word for word. The State says we're doing this for "awareness raising" that must be the one and only reason why these cameras are in place. But it's not. Their effectiveness is not well known. When you are placing small signs hidden in areas or no signs at all then you are doing fund raising. Plain and simple. And no amount of you trying to stick your head in the sand will change that. You can say "crash statistics", but they are definitive is corrected for other factors. Additionally, there are varying definitions for crashes at intersections. Some statistics take it to be immediate to the intersection, 50 feet before and after. Others, the ones which show the most dramatic decrease, extend that several hundred feet from the intersection. So in essence you start to include crashes mid-block. And with the reduction in driving in many big cities, that starts to look like something has happened.

Its not fund raising. The three bolded sections are all I need to realize your not even reading what I state and taking it into consideration, that I deal with statistics on what we do on a regular basis. So, whatever, believe what you want to.

Might want to check outside, I heard the cops are in your neighborhood today.

LOL. You just showed the perfect example of drivers blaming their bad driving habits on cameras.

Stopping suddenly because of Cameras actually means stopping suddenly because the light turned red.

There is a thing called a "YELLOW LIGHT" it tells people that the red light is coming and they should prepare. This means slowing down appropriately, which yellow lights give individuals plenty of time to do.

Blaming a Camera on idiot driving practices just goes to show you probably need some driving refreshers.

A lot of cities turn down the timer on the yellow to red light change to generate even more revenue. It got to the point in Missouri that there were a lot of accidents and a lot of court cases being challenged regarding the cameras issuing tickets that the legislature intervened by telling the cities that the timer between yellow and red lights must be 10 seconds long. Accidents have dropped dramatically at intersections with red light cameras.

Back
Top Bottom