• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there anyone here that believes Obama is telling the truth about the 400 [W:118]

Re: Is there anyone here that believes Obama is telling the truth about the 400 mill

Wait, I thought Israel controlled the US. Isn't that your narrative.

No it is not. Israel is one of our best allies....at least they were until obozo screwed the pooch.

Israel slowed the Iranian nuke program down and the US, in the form of obozo and Lurch kerry, interferred with that.....they are total assholes and operate against the best interests of the US.

Re: Is there anyone here that believes Obama is telling the truth about the 400 mill

No it is not. Israel is one of our best allies....at least they were until obozo screwed the pooch.

Israel slowed the Iranian nuke program down and the US, in the form of obozo and Lurch kerry, interferred with that.....they are total assholes and operate against the best interests of the US.

My apologies. I thought for sure you'd be a "disproportionate Jewish influence" guy.

Our international agreements (the ban) prohibits that. See above post.

The money can be sent to the world bank and they can credit Irans account.

No direct contact h as to be made.

In case you missed it, we live in an era of deep partisanship. Some people would be infuriated by Obama publicly stating that 2+2=4. My guess is that after 7 years, Obama is getting tired of that nonsense.

As noted, everything except a few details about the timing were openly discussed back in January.

So, it's not just you, but it is people like you, who are utterly incapable of describing anything Obama does as anything other than an outrage.

obozo is the worst president in US history and your pathetic support of him is disgusting.

My apologies. I thought for sure you'd be a "disproportionate Jewish influence" guy.

Fair enough......glad we cleared that up.

The payment was announced in January, after it became clear we could not win in court and losing would cost more. It was made in cash because we have no banking ties with Iran, thus it could not be transferred or wired.

-Obama, today.

As far as those military men being "hostages", well... they were legally captured in Iranian territorial waters. If the US caught Iranian sailors in US territorial waters, would we be obligated to release them immediately? No, we would not. We would be within our international rights to interrogate them and hold them until an amicable solution was arrived at.

It's my understanding that the hostages in question weren't the sailors, but 5 other hostages.

Iran releases 5 detained Americans, including Washington Post reporter - POLITICO

FORMER IRAN HOSTAGE SAYS PLANE WAITED UNTIL RANSOM MONEY ARRIVED...

On Thursday’s broadcast of the Fox Business Network’s “The Intelligence Report with Trish Regan,” Saeed Abedini, one of the four hostages released from Iran back in January, stated that on the night he was freed, his captors told him they were waiting on another plane to arrive before letting him go.
Freed Iranian Hostage: Iranians Told Me They Were Waiting For Another Plane To Arrive Before Letting Us Go - Breitbart

FORMER IRAN HOSTAGE SAYS PLANE WAITED UNTIL RANSOM MONEY ARRIVED...

On Thursday’s broadcast of the Fox Business Network’s “The Intelligence Report with Trish Regan,” Saeed Abedini, one of the four hostages released from Iran back in January, stated that on the night he was freed, his captors told him they were waiting on another plane to arrive before letting him go.
Freed Iranian Hostage: Iranians Told Me They Were Waiting For Another Plane To Arrive Before Letting Us Go - Breitbart

I like how "waiting for a plane" turns into "waiting for ransom money". I saw Fox News do that this afternoon and laughed.

obozo is the worst president in US history and your pathetic support of him is disgusting.
Thanks for proving my point.

I say we should just let Israel deal with Iran.

Only too bad the job of destroying the five facilities that are vital to Iran's atom bomb program is beyond the capabilities of Israel's air force, as good as it is. At the long ranges involved, its F-15-I's could barely carry enough bombs to make sure of four of those sites. And destroying the fifth one, the centrifuge gallery at Fordow, would require the 30,000 lb. bombs no Israeli aircraft could carry. In contrast, a small fraction of U.S. air forces could make useless junk of the machinery at those sites. And should have, long since.

As to the boats and the payment, it never surprises me to see leftists leap to the defense of Islamist curs. The fact they both dislike this country makes them natural allies. The Iranians violated the laws of war in their handling of those boats and their crews, just as they did years earlier with British sailors they captured.

Just asking because to me I feel like he just arrogantly tried to sell ocean front property in Arizona and offered the Brooklyn bridge as s deal closer. Must just be me ?!?

Well, no, because it isn't President Obama talking when we hear agreement that it was actually Iran's money to start with, we're just returning what we've owed them for decades.

The payment was announced in January, after it became clear we could not win in court and losing would cost more. It was made in cash because we have no banking ties with Iran, thus it could not be transferred or wired.

-Obama, today.

As far as those military men being "hostages", well... they were legally captured in Iranian territorial waters. If the US caught Iranian sailors in US territorial waters, would we be obligated to release them immediately? No, we would not. We would be within our international rights to interrogate them and hold them until an amicable solution was arrived at.

Well for me, I like the strong leader type who says we will not negotiate with terrorists. And I believe some of these guys were reporters. Maybe you should go over and check it out.

Making a video and telling them "look happy" is hardly torture.

I have yet to see anyone here claim it was torture. It was a violation of the laws of war, however. But this is the same Islamist regime, with a new cast of characters, that seized the U.S. Embassy thirty-odd years ago. It's the same regime that trained, equipped, and directed jihadist cells in Iraq to carry out attacks that killed many hundreds of U.S. servicemen. In one of these, Iranian-directed operatives in U.S. uniforms seized four U.S. soldiers in Karbala, took them to a remote place, and murdered them while they were still handcuffed to each other. Several war crimes were committed in that barbaric attack.

It's interesting that you call for the U.S. to observe the punctilio of international law, and yet are so anxious to make apologies for a vile regime in Tehran that has continually operated outside civilized norms ever since it took power in 1979.

We can freeze Iran's accounts, we cannot confiscate them. We could disregard international law, but why? 400m doesn't make or break us so why violate international law by going rogue on international economic policy? If we pressed the issue, and remained within international law, we could be on the hook for billions instead of 400m.

Again, we could say "**** the world!" and just do whatever we want, but that makes no sense and has no reason. I'm sorry but your "**** the world" position is just stupid.

You do realize this so called owing was from the ayatollah about forty something years ago. Leave it to Barrack to give back the money now to fund terrorism. Oh wait, aren't BLM asking for compensation from the civil war period?

Well for me, I like the strong leader type who says we will not negotiate with terrorists.

Well, a prisoner trade is different than paying a ransom. Obama reiterated, today in a press conference at Arlington, that ransoms are not paid. He noted that he deals with the families of hostages on a regular basis and it defies logic to claim ransom is paid in one case and not others.

1. We agreed to pay the money in January, as a matter of our agreements in international law, this was announced.
2. We do not pay ransoms.

And I believe some of these guys were reporters. Maybe you should go over and check it out.

Thanks for pointing this out, you are correct. It was 4-5 civilian hostages, not the navy personnel released within days of that.

I think the tape that Trump claims to have seen is in the same box with the letter from the NFL...

Funny how this was reported back in January, and only got dragged out during Trump's worst polling week....LOL

If you know nothing about this, perhaps you should read more and type less. When we froze Iranian accounts, we effectively seized them. Seizing them is not legal under international agreements. If we were to abide our international agreements, we needed to win in court to keep the money. It became clear that we would not win, and it would cost us much more, so we agree to make the payment to Iran and announced it in January.

We don't.

Iran nuclear crisis: What are the sanctions? - BBC News

So, we can see that your position is based entirely on ignorance. Now that you know why we owe them, and that we don't buy oil from Iran, perhaps you have a different opinion?

BS. When did it become so clear that we would lose in court? Do you own a parrot? We don't owe Iran anything. Barack Obama wanted to give them money to fund terrorism so he used the midnight flight plan to achieve his mission. If he cared about hostages for gods sakes he would have discussed them before the Iran nuclear deal came to a close.

We can freeze Iran's accounts, we cannot confiscate them. We could disregard international law, but why? 400m doesn't make or break us so why violate international law by going rogue on international economic policy? If we pressed the issue, and remained within international law, we could be on the hook for billions instead of 400m.

Again, we could say "**** the world!" and just do whatever we want, but that makes no sense and has no reason. I'm sorry but your "**** the world" position is just stupid.

We haven't basically taken that stance since about forever? When have we really cared what the rest of the world has thought?

Iran could predicate the release with the payment, and that could have nothing to do with any deal. Or "the other plane" could be something completely different.

Ok in my angst to reply I clicked like. I don't like. What I wanted to say was Follow the yellow brick road or something else that summarizes your belief that this is all a coincidence. Btw, are you interested in buying some property I have for sale in Arizona? Lol

You do realize this so called owing was from the ayatollah about forty something years ago. Leave it to Barrack to give back the money now to fund terrorism.

It appears the issue is not frozen assets from recent years.

Oh wait, aren't BLM asking for compensation from the civil war period?

Do we really need to bring race into this issue?

I have yet to see anyone here claim it was torture. It was a violation of the laws of war, however. But this is the same Islamist regime, with a new cast of characters, that seized the U.S. Embassy thirty-odd years ago. It's the same regime that trained, equipped, and directed jihadist cells in Iraq to carry out attacks that killed many hundreds of U.S. servicemen. In one of these, Iranian-directed operatives in U.S. uniforms seized four U.S. soldiers in Karbala, took them to a remote place, and murdered them while they were still handcuffed to each other. Several war crimes were committed in that barbaric attack.

It's interesting that you call for the U.S. to observe the punctilio of international law, and yet are so anxious to make apologies for a vile regime in Tehran that has continually operated outside civilized norms ever since it took power in 1979.

I'm probably the biggest hawk on this website and I've called for a dismantling of Iranian uranium enrichment and for regime change (preferably with nation building). Prior to Obama's negotiations, I was ok with boots on the ground in Iran. As I said then and say now, nation building is a last resort and I'm ok with Obama taking one more shot at peaceful resolution. So far, I've been proved wrong and Obama's deal is working. I didn't think it would. I was against it. But I was willing to give it a chance and so far it's good.

So please, spare me the "Iranian regime apologism". That's not me.

What is me - rejecting conspiracy theory that flies in the face of logic, reason and evidence.

Again............ territorial waters doesn't mean squat. A broken boat drifting is in distress. Under peacetime laws, they should be rendered assistance.....not humiliation. The Iranians knew this, but exploited it as a war crime.

Read the international rules before you come off like a sea lawyer

https://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/073cf98c.../Chapter-III.aspx

The four captives released were not part of the distressed boat from earlier this year. They were various prisoners being held by Iran. Saeed who claims to have waited on the plane for the arrival of the so called other plane was captive for completely different reasons. I'm not sure about the other three. Again, the media makes so much up or highlights out of relevance it is hard to know.

BS. When did it become so clear that we would lose in court? Do you own a parrot? We don't owe Iran anything.

According to our international agreements, we did.

Barack Obama wanted to give them money to fund terrorism

That's crazy-talk.

so he used the midnight flight plan to achieve his mission.

His mission being funding terrorism? So crazy.

If he cared about hostages for gods sakes he would have discussed them before the Iran nuclear deal came to a close.

So he wants to fund terrorism and he doesn't care about hostages.

SO CRAZY!

hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom