• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is suggesting policy to address tragedy directly after tragedies happen inappropriate?

?

• Total voters
Leave Russia's favorite money launderer alone!
wow, I am used to seeing stupid posts from you, that exceeded my expectations!! well done-I like someone breaking their old records!!

Complain to your congressman or senators. Be sure to vote. Democracy is great!

we all do, but we're gerrymandered and electorally colleged out by the minority.

But you knew that, I hope and were just being clever, right?

Mass shootings have been a problem for a long time, but the trends in mass shootings changed radically in 2012. If people actually care about effective policy changes they might begin to look at what has changed in society over the course of the last 40 years, but specifically the last 10 years. What HASNT changed is weapons, weapon type, weapon availability.
the 24/7 MSM news cycle glorifying the killers has changed.

wow, I am used to seeing stupid posts from you, that exceeded my expectations!! well done-I like someone breaking their old records!!

Why do you think Russia funnels money to the Republicans, and why through the NRA?

Why do you think they Russia funnels money to the Republicans, and why through the NRA?
what relevance is that now-that is old news and no longer going on. The chinese funneled money to the clintons and Biden.

Mass shootings have been a problem for a long time, but the trends in mass shootings changed radically in 2012. If people actually care about effective policy changes they might begin to look at what has changed in society over the course of the last 40 years, but specifically the last 10 years. What HASNT changed is weapons, weapon type, weapon availability.

The trend has changed radically in Scotland and New Zealand. You should check it out.

"You all"?

Which group of people are you lumping me into?
The group of people that say

"Knee-jerk reaction to serious situation is usually a bad idea ("inappropriate")

There is a natural human instinct to react hastily to a threat or danger. In the jungle, this is essential to survival.

However in Law, we must take a deep breath and use critical thinking to determine the best course of action on important matters.".

It's been 22 years since Columbine, a decade sandy hook.......isn't that a long enough deep breath?

Texas is still waiting on an improved grid that can make it through a winter or a summer
Not an expert on the Texas energy grid, but would you say the problem is more one of production and demand in an extreme situation or a failure of the grid?

what relevance is that now-that is old news and no longer going on. The chinese funneled money to the clintons and Biden.

Not for campaign purposes. Why do Russians want to elect Republicans and support the NRA?

Can you explain why other civilized countries rarely ever have this problem?

What is the most obvious difference between us and them?

. . . It's been 22 years since Columbine, a decade sandy hook.......isn't that a long enough deep breath?
My apologies. I was unaware that we were talking about Columbine and Sandy Hook. I thought the policy suggestions mentioned in the OP were about the reactions to the Robb Elementary School shooting.

My bad.

The trend has changed radically in Scotland and New Zealand. You should check it out.
There were zero mass killings in New Zealand from 1997 to 2019. Give it a few years before you determine a 'trend'.

My apologies. I was unaware that we were talking about Columbine. I thought this was about the reactions to the Robb Elementary School shooting.

My bad.

Re read my post.

That is what you all say every time this happens...."don't be hasty", and time goes by and the next one happens, and you all say "don't be hasty" and time goes by and it happens again, and again you all say "don't be hasty".......etc. etc.

Same pattern over decades. You all never seem to think it's time to act.

How long is long enough?

Yes. Knee-jerk reaction to serious situation is usually a bad idea ("inappropriate")

There is a natural human instinct to react hastily to a threat or danger. In the jungle, this is essential to survival.

However in Law, we must take a deep breath and use critical thinking to determine the best course of action on important matters.
You might have a point if this was the first mass/school shooting.

right? Who would have thought guns had anything to do with shootings
Citizens in this country have had free access to those guns since the 60s. Hell...you could buy an AR over the phone and have it shipped through the mail. People used to go to school with guns in their gunracks and their cars unlocked.

Its not the guns.

Citizens in this country have had free access to those guns since the 60s. Hell...you could buy an AR over the phone and have it shipped through the mail. People used to go to school with guns in their gunracks and their cars unlocked.

Its not the guns.

Check out what Scotland and New Zealand did, Yeah, its the guns.

Translation: its fine if I agree with it.
I was pretty clear...no translation needed. Stupid people advocating for stupid laws and using a tragedy to promote a stupid agenda is wrong. Always.

There were zero mass killings in New Zealand from 1997 to 2019. Give it a few years before you determine a 'trend'.

Why is their tolerance for it so much lower than ours?

Its not the guns.
Can you explain why other civilized countries rarely ever have this problem?

What is the most obvious difference between us and them?

Timing it while it's all fresh is an appeal to emotion.

It's not illegitimate, but you're going to get a lot of unreasonable emotional demands mixed in with your more realistic policy talk.

Tell me about what realistic policy talk might look like?

No only you know/believe the following.

Response times have very little to do with funding. Even if you only had one LEO in your town it's unreasonable to expect giving him more funding would increase his time. Only Batman has a Batmobile.

When are democrats going to stop insisting on it being their way or the highway?
The Democrats have ideas. Maybe they are bad ideas, maybe they are good ideas, but they have ideas. The Republicans have unfortunately offered nothing other than the mantra of the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

In 2013, Pat Toomey and Joe Manchin put forth the following bipartisan bill only for it to get blocked by Republicans that were beholden to the firearms industry. So its not a "their way or the highway", the fact is, the Republicans are not open to any sort of compromise:

There was bipartisan support for Red Flag laws, and Republicans blocked it too:

Other. Obviously, you can’t discuss a “tragic“ event before it happens. That leaves how long after the “tragedy” is appropriate and whether the “policy” being discussed is directly applicable to (preventing or dealing with the aftermath of) that (recent) “tragedy”.

Let’s say that “tragedy” is someone running over multiple folks with red Ford SUV - how long before calls to ban SUVs or stop releasing violent perps who previously ran over people with their vehicle should we wait?

The Democrats have ideas. Maybe they are bad ideas, maybe they are good ideas, but they have ideas. The Republicans have unfortunately offered nothing other than the mantra of the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

In 2013, Pat Toomey and Joe Manchin put forth the following bipartisan bill only for it to get blocked by Republicans that were beholden to the firearms industry. So its not a "their way or the highway", the fact is, the Republicans are not open to any sort of compromise:

Yup.

Other. Obviously, you can’t discuss a “tragic“ event before it happens. That leaves how long after the “tragedy” is appropriate and whether the “policy” being discussed is directly applicable to (preventing or dealing with the aftermath of) that (recent) “tragedy”.

Let’s say that “tragedy” is someone running over multiple folks with red Ford SUV - how long before calls to ban SUVs or stop releasing violent perps who previously ran over people with their vehicle should we wait?
Let's say that the tragedy is someone running over multiple folks with a red Ford SUV that Ford has specifically designed to run over multiple people with, and be as lethal as when running over people. Moreover, Ford makes a lot of money selling accessories for the SUV that allows you to run over even more people with it, in as short of time as possible. Ford also spends massive amounts of money on campaigns and lobbying to block any red flag laws that would allow families and the police to petition the courts to have the SUV taken from people that are deemed a danger to themselves or others.

In that case, how long after such a tragedy would it be appropriate to discus policy options to prevent another tragedies from occurring? ;)

When the country isn't willing to fund the needed educational aspects of schools, this program is not only ridiculous...it wouldn't work. There are approximately 60 outside entrances to the school I'm most familiar with.
Then what can we do?

Back
Top Bottom