• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it time for gay pride parades to take it down a notch in general?

:lol: that is old skool.

if your beliefs are about oppressing people then perhaps you should rethink your position.

Perhaps you should rethink yours.

He who the Son sets free is free indeed.

First off, I love the GLBT community and I want gays to be out in public. Yes, I want an adult alternative for people to participate in. So hear me out before freaking out. In the past the gay pride parade needed to be in your face. It needed a brash we are here and queer and it is not going away attitude. Also, it was one of very few outlets which means all types were there and there was no good alternative for an adult thing. I guess this also would overlap on adult entertainment in straight society also. Some people want there to be more adult venues and it seems there is becoming a demand for kids free locations that are not just clubs or bars. That probably plays in here also.

Is it time to maybe make pride parades a bit more PG while expanding new venues for the adult exploration of adult gay life? In this aspect gays seem to be making the second half of that happen a lot more than straight people. I know of a few Adult gay celebrations on private lands and where kids are restricted that go on. There are a number of adult conventions that I know about many of which are heavily gay and alternate sexuality. This seems to be a great way to do things so you can tone down the pride events while promoting the adult events at something that draws a larger crowd. I have noticed a few of my gay friends who have now started to shy away from adult celebrations because they have children. There should be pride events that children of both gay and straight people can go to without getting a dick in their kid's face. perhaps the public nudity displays should not be holding up traffic for everyone. I don't want to see neked women or men lovin it up in the middle of the street while I have to get to work. I can understand that view.

Should the gay community be moving towards a more family oriented pride now that they are breaking through?

I always thought of gay pride parades as an expression or celebration of the people who created them. The flamboyant and more in your face crowd. They were the original noise makers for that community. So I guess I would say no, why change that? Why make that something other then what it is? I could see gay community leaders who had a different style creating events that were more true to THEM.

Pride... in his big "Conservative Patriot" Eagle Flying avatar.

What is the point other than "pride", one of the Seven Deadly Sins?

Maybe, but your avatar is two sins.

Perhaps you should rethink yours.

He who the Son sets free is free indeed.

Quoting scripture to me is a sure way to not be taken seriously since it is condescending by its very nature.

I always thought of gay pride parades as an expression or celebration of the people who created them. The flamboyant and more in your face crowd. They were the original noise makers for that community. So I guess I would say no, why change that? Why make that something other then what it is? I could see gay community leaders who had a different style creating events that were more true to THEM.

so it should stay more exclusive and not change to be be more inclusive?

I thin it would be of limited utility to try to keep it the same... opening up to families will pay off much better for future societal relations.

I balk at biker rallies becoming more family friendly... but that's the way most **** of going nowadays..even Las Vegas ( bastards ruined my city with their family fun time bull****)
.. i do think it would benefit gay pride though, as they are seeking societal acceptance above all else.

you do have a good point there. the shock of it all was what brought attention and perhaps the desire to make things better. Interesting. Could that shock be portrayed in a family friendly way? Perhaps if someone wished to make it so, do you think it needs the nudity since nudity is not actually what homosexuality is about?

Second all of this but also, if you think the parades aren't appropriate, just don't go or don't bring your kids. You wouldn't bring them to mardi gras. I think some of the original purpose of letting down inhibitions is still there, but like the OP says there are other options and it wouldn't be so difficult to take some of that behavior off the streets. Going forward, I'm not sure the point of them in say NYC anymore now that they have equal rights. If it's not a protest, what are they celebrating? I think these may just fizzle out on their own as people realize they're accepted already.

this type of common sense will go ignored.

of course im sure there are cases where the parades cant be avoided BUT i dont blame the parades i blame the people that route them.

What I don't get is what is there to be "proud" of? I'm not "proud" to be a heterosexual, it just is what it is.

If that was already covered, sorry, I haven't read the thread.

Quoting scripture to me is a sure way to not be taken seriously since it is condescending by its very nature.

Ascribing to the debased tenets of politically correct morality doesn't help your credibility.

Ascribing to the debased tenets of politically correct morality doesn't help your credibility.

You realize that you are sinning with your avatar, don't you? Pride.

...and I am about as anti-politically correct as a person can get. Stop making retarded assumptions.

...and I am about as anti-politically correct as a person can get. Stop making retarded assumptions.

Yo, high five for heterosexuality! Woot! :mrgreen:

so it should stay more exclusive and not change to be be more inclusive?

I thin it would be of limited utility to try to keep it the same... opening up to families will pay off much better for future societal relations.

I balk at biker rallies becoming more family friendly... but that's the way most **** of going nowadays..even Las Vegas ( bastards ruined my city with their family fun time bull****)
.. i do think it would benefit gay pride though, as they are seeking societal acceptance above all else.

I agree. I am just suggesting new events that are different and more inclusive rather than changing what is already in place. I happen to think they are fun just they way they are and would miss it if they told them to sit quietly in their chair and behave themselves.

Well, I have been to parades, it was interesting. But the parade was not really different than any other. People in costumes walking down the street, sure the costumes were provocative and the dancing suggestive but cheerleaders outfits and dances are exactly the same. It's just that some of the sexual objects are men. Frankly very pretty men, it seems to offend people when a 25 year old man is sexually objectified but not a teenaged girl.

I Think the push against this is about the idea that men can be objectified. It's likely the reality behind most homophobia. Think about the pressure we put on women to be pretty, any man worth his weight in salt knows that it's a heavy burden on women. Everybody thinks gay men are extremely physically fit and I have been to gay clubs there are male steppers there, they are beautiful and women look at them. I always wondered why straight women went to gay boy clubs but I saw them checking out the dudes. They have every bit the physical desire men do.

Straight men are afraid of this. Feeling inadequate is not at all comfortable to a man that is trying to be confident.

I dint think pride parades need to be toned down. If you don't like it don't go.

The kind of "pretty" you're referring to here is ultimately non-masculine. That's why it disturbs straight men.

I've hung out with a couple of gay guys before. I can tell you from personal experience that it is beyond disconcerting when they exhibit behaviors that are typically associated with women.

For instance, my buddies and I were watching football with a gay guy we were deployed with once, and he didn't know a lot about the game. This lead him to start asking questions. Normally this wouldn't be a problem. However, the issue in this particular case was that he didn't do so in the way that you would expect a man to do.

He did so in basically the same manner that you might expect a somewhat prissy woman to do. The same tone of voice, the same casually silly disinterest, etca.

It was weird.

I have a certain degree of patience for that kind of thing from women simply because it provides an opportunity to show off a bit and possibly flirt.

From a guy? Yea, not so much.

I just found myself thinking, "Dude, figure it the Hell out. You're a grown man, act like it."

It was the same way when he got his feelings hurt over something. He'd basically start giving you the "silent treatment" and you'd have to kind of gradually coax him out of it.

I'm sure that not all gay guys are like that. However, the more "flamboyant" among them certainly are.

What I don't get is what is there to be "proud" of? I'm not "proud" to be a heterosexual, it just is what it is.

If that was already covered, sorry, I haven't read the thread.

I am proud to be a heterosexual... but at the same time I envy homosexuals. In my sloth I envy those with wrath in their hearts. I have to say that my greed to have women makes me lust after you.

I think that covers it. Seven Deadly Sins down...

Last edited:

Well, if you're defending gay pride and gay sexual relations you're right smack dab in the middle of a politically correct position.

I am proud to be a heterosexual... but at the same time I envy homosexuals. In my sloth I envy those with wrath in their hearts. I have to say that my greed to have women makes me lust after you.

I think that covers it.

:rofl Very enlightening!

Well, if you're defending gay pride and gay sexual relations you're right smack dab in the middle of a politically correct position.

I see that you refuse to discuss your Sin.

I am not defending gay pride nor gay sexual relations... I defend people's right as guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States. Try again.

you do have a good point there. the shock of it all was what brought attention and perhaps the desire to make things better. Interesting. Could that shock be portrayed in a family friendly way? Perhaps if someone wished to make it so, do you think it needs the nudity since nudity is not actually what homosexuality is about?

I think the nudity was probably a dramatic way to make a point about not being ashamed. A point that they may feel it is no longer necessary to make in that way. I personally feel like they should do whatever the hell they want and those who want to play can go. Americans are way too uptight about sexuality and sexual play. I would much rather my kids say a naked gay man on a float then a psycho gunning down 20 dudes in a movie. Who fricken cares...it's just a penis. Personally I would rather teach my children tolerance and acceptance and that seeing someone act out who they are in a harmless playful way is not harmful and has no impact on who THEY are.

I agree. I am just suggesting new events that are different and more inclusive rather than changing what is already in place. I happen to think they are fun just they way they are and would miss it if they told them to sit quietly in their chair and behave themselves.

well, when it comes to assless chaps, and full frontal nudity on a public thoroughfares... i have zero problem telling them to sit quietly and behave themselves.

a dude up like a Vegas showgirl and strutting around... meh, I don't give a ****.

in any event, these parades are no places for children....well, unless the parent is really into teaching their children that public sexual objectification and overt sexualization is a somehow a virtue.

I see that you refuse to discuss your Sin.

I am not defending gay pride nor gay sexual relations... I defend people's right as guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States. Try again.

An identification tag doesn't necessarily rise to the level of pride, so get a new dog.

I think that covers it. Seven Deadly Sins down...

You have envy twice though. ;)

Back
Top Bottom