• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Dr. Ben Carson electable?

I like Dr Carson and believe he would kick Hillary's butt in a general election. I am just not sure he could win the GOP nomination. What are your thoughts?

A young earth creationist who denies evolution and is a hardcore social conservative is not going to win the Presidency in 2016.

I've met more than a few people who haven't realized that they've lost the "culture wars" and that the disposition of the country has pretty much passed them by. If you genuinely think someone like that can be elected you are an anachronism and belong to another time.

Last edited:
I like Dr Carson and believe he would kick Hillary's butt in a general election. I am just not sure he could win the GOP nomination. What are your thoughts?

Ben Carson might be elected President of Idaho or Oklahoma. Your suggestion that he would 'kick Hilary's butt' in a general election does nothing other than demonstrate just how out of touch you are with reality.

A young earth creationist who denies evolution and is a hardcore social conservative is not going to win the Presidency in 2016.

I've met more than a few people who haven't realized that they've lost the "culture wars" and that the disposition of the country has pretty much passed them by. If you genuinely think someone like that can be elected you are an anachronism and belong to another time.

Your last 9 words pretty well sum it up.

I don't think so. He talks a fairly good domestic game, but it seems he unravels a bit on foreign affairs. Additionally, he doesn't have much real government experience. Seems like he would be an outlier for the sake of being and outlier, which I don't think is a reasonable basis to choose a candidate. If we were to choose someone like that, I would rather Krauthammer run.

The republican brand has been so damaged on the national stage, that you really have to nominate a solid, stable candidate that can appeal across the political spectrum and debunk that negative propaganda of the left-leaning media (Fox news aside).

Interesting post. In what universe are you a 'centrist'? I'm not sure a Centrist would identify all media not Fox as 'left-leaning'. A Far Right conservative, on the other hand, would.

The guy is very impressive, but he has zero experience in politics. And at the end of the day, the presidency is a political office and no one should seek that as their first foray into governing. Let the guy spend a term or two as a governor somewhere and get back to me.

Cease and desist asserting the earth is 6000 years old and man and dinosaur co-existed (like in The Flintstones) might also help.

Interesting post. In what universe are you a 'centrist'? I'm not sure a Centrist would identify all media not Fox as 'left-leaning'. A Far Right conservative, on the other hand, would.

Among the major networks of course. But I'm not interested in debating about the media.

Ben Carson might be elected President of Idaho or Oklahoma. Your suggestion that he would 'kick Hilary's butt' in a general election does nothing other than demonstrate just how out of touch you are with reality.

I'll say! :2razz: Dr.Carson will never get the GOP nomination. The Doctor is a neurosurgeon, but it seems his intellectual ability appear to be left in the operating room....it seems he doesn't have a clue as to just who or what the Republican Party is. The only reason he's allowed to participate in the GOP presidential campaign is because the Republican Party is trying to show diversity in their public image; substantively, for the right-wing to actually nominate a black man is simply asking too much!

Only as dogcatcher in a small, isolated, low education area with no internet access.

A truly great success story and a brilliant surgeon but not even close to presidential material. 0 political experience and all of his extremely crazy sound bytes would kill him in an election.

Kobie;1064338202[B said:
]I don't understand what's remotely likeable about him, to be honest.[/B] And Hillary, whom I do not support, would crush him in a general.

But you love Obama...Go figure.

Thanks for the chuckle...

Yes. He is a genius. Problem is he's droopy eyed and slow to speak. Most American's vote on looks.

The Look of a Winner - Scientific American

"These results have been obtained for U.S. Senate and gubernatorial elections, as well as elections in Australia, Finland, France, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. In the case of gubernatorial and Senate elections, for example, the proportion of respondents who judged a candidate to be more competent-looking (than his or her rival) was positively related to that person’s vote share. Further, the predictive power of these facial judgments is largely independent of candidate familiarity, gender, race, incumbency, attractiveness and age. This discovery suggests that voters rely heavily on facial appearance when choosing which candidate to elect, and in particular, on what these cues seem to indicate about leadership qualities."

I get a kick out of you lefties.......You would rather elect Hillary. One of the most corruptable politicians to ever hit Washington...What a joke...Haven't you lefties had enough with Obama?

How much experience did Obama have and Carson is no community organizer.

If you can't organise, you can't win an election. You don't win office by performing intricate, keyhole brain surgery, impressive though that s*** might be.

If you can't organise, you can't win an election. You don't win office by performing intricate, keyhole brain surgery, impressive though that s*** might be.
Correct. Obamas organizing skills got him elected. Too bad he lacks the skill to lead or govern. Carsons skills are impressive, but they aren't political skills or leadership skills. Just because a person is smart doesn't mean he will be a good president.

He would be a decent enough adviser or such, but please, not a potus candidate.

Dr. Ben Carson is a young Earth Creationist. If that doesn't scare away a voter I don't know what will.

See, I don't see how that is a problem. I keep hearing "no experience", at this point I would consider that a good thing. Personally I think the young Earth Creationist thing is overblown. He's a doctor. I don't know that he actually believes what people say he does, I think it is a reach to disqualify someone who far exceeds what we have now. One of our biggest issues is health care costs, Obamacare has done nothing but drive up costs and still leave millions uninsured. But hey, he did SOMETHING, right? I'd much rather have someone who understands the system in order to make changes without it all being political. I'm tired of politicians. We need someone who can think, consult the right people, and take effective action. I do that every day and I'm not a politician. I don't think you need experience as a corrupt politician to lead, in fact quite the opposite. Next we'll hear that he has no foriegn policy experience. Hillary does, look where that got us. And then there is Obama, Mr. "I'm pulling out the troops" and then going back in while wordsmithing to avoid admitting how ineffective he has been so far. What would be wrong with a thoughtful leader who would listen to (gasp) military leaders concerning foreign affairs? But hey, let's keep electing career politicians that have already proven themselves to be ineffective liars. Yeah, that's a much better idea.

See, I don't see how that is a problem. I keep hearing "no experience", at this point I would consider that a good thing. Personally I think the young Earth Creationist thing is overblown. He's a doctor. I don't know that he actually believes what people say he does, I think it is a reach to disqualify someone who far exceeds what we have now. One of our biggest issues is health care costs, Obamacare has done nothing but drive up costs and still leave millions uninsured. But hey, he did SOMETHING, right? I'd much rather have someone who understands the system in order to make changes without it all being political. I'm tired of politicians. We need someone who can think, consult the right people, and take effective action. I do that every day and I'm not a politician. I don't think you need experience as a corrupt politician to lead, in fact quite the opposite. Next we'll hear that he has no foriegn policy experience. Hillary does, look where that got us. And then there is Obama, Mr. "I'm pulling out the troops" and then going back in while wordsmithing to avoid admitting how ineffective he has been so far. What would be wrong with a thoughtful leader who would listen to (gasp) military leaders concerning foreign affairs? But hey, let's keep electing career politicians that have already proven themselves to be ineffective liars. Yeah, that's a much better idea.

What an irrelevant tirade. :roll:

If someone is a Young Earth Creationist, it shows the person in question is willing to deny reality for Religious dogma. That is a dangerous trait to have as a President.

Back
Top Bottom