• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Dr. Ben Carson electable?

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I like Dr Carson and believe he would kick Hillary's butt in a general election. I am just not sure he could win the GOP nomination. What are your thoughts?

I don't think so.

The guy is very impressive, but he has zero experience in politics. And at the end of the day, the presidency is a political office and no one should seek that as their first foray into governing. Let the guy spend a term or two as a governor somewhere and get back to me.

I don't think he's likely to win the GOP nomination, or if he did, the general election.

I like Dr Carson and believe he would kick Hillary's butt in a general election. I am just not sure he could win the GOP nomination. What are your thoughts?

Nice man, smart, world class doctor, don't think he's electable but who knows. Obama had no qualifications and he got elected.......twice.

Dr. Ben Carson is a young Earth Creationist. If that doesn't scare away a voter I don't know what will.

Nope. Zero governing experience.

No in the primaries, no in the general. He needs an election cycle or two to build a team and learn the ropes so to speak before he would be a viable candidate. It is not that he could never be viable as a candidate(though still kinda unlikely without some changes), but he is not now.

it's not his lack of government experience that runs against him.. it's his lack of political experience.

he's anti-PC when he speaks his mind... and that alone will doom him in the battle of soundbites.

if he runs, mark my words... you will have people argue that he hates children, he hates education, he hates science, he hates gays, and he hates women.... and he isn't politically skilled enough to effectively battle against such nonsense.

I can't/won't vote for him , so this isn't me supporting him... it's just me saying what i think.

Anyone is electable given the right circumstances. I dot like to discount a candidate immediately.

Many years ago in Washington a political amateur with a background in science named Dixie Lee Ray won the governors race woth no name recognition against king county executive john spellman. Surprises happen.

I wouldn't bet on it though

I don't understand what's remotely likeable about him, to be honest. And Hillary, whom I do not support, would crush him in a general.

I don't know.
Bush 41 and Bush 43 might have both been YECs.

They might have been, but from what I've seen they haven't outwardly pronounced themselves as YEC's like Carson has.

Last edited:
I don't think so.

I agree. Dr. Carson, who is very conservative would never get the Gay vote, or African-American vote or the Latino vote along with a significant number of Jewish votes. I doubt he would get the GOP nomination seeing as how racist the GOP is, and mainstream America in presidential elections vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic Party.....In 2000 GWB, the least qualified presidential candidate, was appointed president of the US by a partisan United States Supreme Court.

I don't know how true this is, but I believe one of the reasons Barack Obama was elected in 2008 is because of the disastrous administration of GWB. Bush's illegal invasion of the sovereign nation, Iraq, which ultimately led to 4,500 US military killed and thousands wounded, turned America against the Republican Party. The American people thought outside the box and voted for Obama, twice.

The Republican Party which seemingly is controlled by the Tea Party might not ever attain the US presidency again unless they learn to appeal to others outside the Republican Party. This includes Dr. Carson who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected by mainstream American.

lol.....just like Fred Thompson, NP? Is Dr. Carson your prediction this time around for the guy who is going to be the savior of your beloved Republican party?

I agree. Dr. Carson, who is very conservative would never get the Gay vote, or African-American vote or the Latino vote along with a significant number of Jewish votes. I doubt he would get the GOP nomination seeing as how racist the GOP is, and mainstream America in presidential elections vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic Party.....In 2000 GWB, the least qualified presidential candidate, was appointed president of the US by a partisan United States Supreme Court.

I don't know how true this is, but I believe one of the reasons Barack Obama was elected in 2008 is because of the disastrous administration of GWB. Bush's illegal invasion of the sovereign nation, Iraq, which ultimately led to 4,500 US military killed and thousands wounded, turned America against the Republican Party. The American people thought outside the box and voted for Obama, twice.

The Republican Party which seemingly is controlled by the Tea Party might not ever attain the US presidency again unless they learn to appeal to others outside the Republican Party. This includes Dr. Carson who doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected by mainstream American.

No Republican will ever get the gay vote.

The guy is very impressive, but he has zero experience in politics. And at the end of the day, the presidency is a political office and no one should seek that as their first foray into governing. Let the guy spend a term or two as a governor somewhere and get back to me.

How much experience did Obama have and Carson is no community organizer.

I don't think so. He talks a fairly good domestic game, but it seems he unravels a bit on foreign affairs. Additionally, he doesn't have much real government experience. Seems like he would be an outlier for the sake of being and outlier, which I don't think is a reasonable basis to choose a candidate. If we were to choose someone like that, I would rather Krauthammer run.

The republican brand has been so damaged on the national stage, that you really have to nominate a solid, stable candidate that can appeal across the political spectrum and debunk that negative propaganda of the left-leaning media (Fox news aside).

Back
Top Bottom